• $1-$99
    • $100-$249
    • $250-$499
    • $500-$999
    • $1,000-$2,499
    • $2,500-$4,999
    • $5000-$9999
    • $10,000+

Because I like to buy things that are crafted by cusomer wishes!

Why I am a Backer? That's easy, because everything Tim Schafer touches turns into gold :P

Well I played DOTT, Psychonauts and Brütal Legend and all of them are legendary. I will never forget them.

For various reasons, wanting for Tim to pull a Schafer, nostalgia, their previous endeavors, etc.

But probably the strongest reason was to make a statement, and to help create an alternative to an exceedingly corporate-driven market, riddled with stupid DRM policies, pandering and metric determined game design. I don't think this model will surpass current trends, but, as small and shy an alternative this is, it's still the only that's ever made me hopeful for the future of this industry and of my favorite hobby.

I share the above poster's reasons. It'll definitely be nice to see something driven by creativity, and not restricted by harsh conformity. I'm tired of seeing assembly-line quality games being regarded as the cream of the crop these days.

2 reasons:

- Get my kinds interested in action games, and show them a bit about the work side of the industry, if they ever decide to pursue it.

- Me: I wanted this campaign to succeed big time, so that it will hopefully pave the way for Brutal Legend 2. Despite its flaws, the potential of the IP is massive and untapped, it MUST have a sequel! I will kick in 1k if BL2 becomes a kickstarter project, at the risk of a divorce (probably not, after my wife calms down!).

I backed this project for three simple reasons:

1) I grew up in the '80s & '90s with point-and-click adventures and still love them.

2) I've yet to play a Double Fine game I didn't like.

3) Behind-the-scenes and production processes absolutely fascinate me, especially when it comes to stuff like animation and video games. So even if the finished game ends up being a dud (which is highly unlikely) the documentary alone will be worth the price of admission.

Same as everyone else, really.

I don't hate the current generation of games. There's a special place in my heart for insanely convoluted plotlines like MGS and AssCreed. I fully support Bioware telling more story in their games. And the exploitation games like HotD:Overkill & Shadows of the Damned! Love it. But just because that stuff is all over the place doesn't mean every developer needs to do it. So when one of the makers of my favourite games as a child says he wants to make something else, who am I to argue?

- I loved the old adventures

- I love the concept of crowdfounding

- I strongly dislike a number of big game publishers

- I really hate DRM-methods limiting my perfectly legal game-enjoyment

- I tend to be idealistic

Well, this team is pretty much legendary and the opportunity to peek inside the design process of the game (and even have somewhat of a voice in there) was actually more valuable for me than the game itself. I believe there is a lot to be learned by both the backers and DF, I feel more like I subscribed to a summer course on videogame design and sillyness, and that's two courses for the price of one ;)

Some questions for the four people who picked the '$10,000 or more' answer to this poll. From what I can tell, the extra $5,000 are for lunch with Tim+Ron and a tour of the offices. There are a lot of things you could've bought for $5,000. So, all kinds of questions pop up in my mind, like: are you wealthy or was this from your savings, do you personally know Tim and/or Ron, is it some kind of investment (like: bigger numbers means more press means more press for your future Kickstarter project), when/how did you hear about Double Fine, would you've donated the same amount if this wasn't about the adventure game genre, what are your reasons for donating that much money, do you work in the video game industry, are you the head of a company, do you have any personal experiences with publishers, and so on. Obviously, you don't have to answer any of those questions. Also, lunch... not even a dinner... and I don't think the Double Fine offices are that interesting, from what I've seen in videos. So, maybe you donated $50,000 or more, to become an actual character in the game. That could be pretty cool, I guess.

To honor Tim Schafer and to help safe point-and-click adventuring from 'mainstream'-oriented publishers who don't understand that this genre today needs to be targeted to a very enthusiastic niche market and played on small mobile devices wherever people go whenever they feel like.

Cause I like adventure games and I like Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert. And Grim Fandango is in my top 5 favorite games of all time.

Wow! I think I let this thread grow overnight! Well, I'm reading through all of them now (currently at page 4 as of this post). If anything needs to be answered, I'll post up a response. If you have a question regarding this thread, please state it in the future so it won't slip by. ;)

Because of Tim Schafer.

I grew up playing the classic Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts adventure games, and I still play them every now and again.

Yep came in here to write this that´s pretty much why I decided to be a backer.

Because of Tim Schafer.

I grew up playing the classic Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts adventure games, and I still play them every now and again.

I'm a fan from the pre-Schafer days, but having Ron involved was good enough for me. Plus I think the current creator/publisher model is broken, and want to see any company who cares about their end product be able to break away from that.

I bought Brutal Legend used for like 7 dollars, and had such a great experience I felt I owed it to Double Fine to contribute. So I backed for the special edition and also bought stacking and costume quest to not only enjoy what I'm sure are fantastic games, but to also support a great studio!

LONG LIVE DOUBLE FINE!!!

Because of Tim Schafer.

I'm a fan from the pre-Schafer days, but having Ron involved was good enough for me. Plus I think the current creator/publisher model is broken, and want to see any company who cares about their end product be able to break away from that.

Yep agree completely

I backed this project because I adore adventure games. I actually hadn't played very many Double Fine or other classics (which I am now in the process of correcting!), and was introduced to the genre by The Longest Journey.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents (or to be more literal, $15) to the statement that there is a fanbase to be reckoned with that not only wants this kind of content, but is willing to pay in advance to make it happen.

1. Tim is making a game. Must buy.

2. Ron will help with it. Must buy.

3. It will be an adventure game. Must buy.

4. We are allowed to peek into the dev's fantastical creative work with no constraitnts. MUST BUY!

5. Can get Concept art? Must upgrade.

And believe me, had I the money I would've gone all the way up the rewards tiers.

As to why I'm a fan of both Tim and Ron, despite being new to the genre (only 7 years give or take, with not much time to actually play all the adventure games/point and click I wanted to), I admire their work and wanted to help them and all the backers on slapping the Big Companies who don't realize how there's market for these.

Also Tim told me to do it. I OBEY!

I enjoy adventure games, and this sounded like a good project and i had the cash to back it.

Honestly? I want to see what Tim does with this. He makes good games, so I don't feel like it was a waste of $15, even if I don't really know what I'm getting yet. If nothing else, I wanted to be part of the voice that says "Hey, make games for the gamers, not for the money." That's also why I want to see what Tim does - this game is being made for gamers, and funded by gamers. Tim only answers to the gamers on this one; there's no corporate push to do this or that, just a gigantic plea to make a genuinely fun game. I think it'll be fun seeing what difference that makes.

Maybe I thought a little more into this than most people did =\

I do not always was a fan of the Adventure games, but all the energy that Double Fine is putting to the Game, and all the historial of some of they members, makes me donate all what I have for this great proyect.

Maybe I thought a little more into this than most people did =\

Yah, go back a couple pages. I wrote my reason which is more a novel than a forum post.

Because I am a Double Fine fan. All of their past releases this generation have been excellent. Can't wait to hear about the next batch of Amenesia Fortnight games.

I've played a lot of games, but point and clicks were among the first I PC games I ever played. Unlike many of their brethren from that era, they were usually beautiful to look at, and very well designed in terms of UI (at least in comparison to games like X-Com). For all the fun I've had over the years, I thought it would be nice to give back.

And getting a game in the process didn't hurt.

Sign in to follow this