• $1-$99
    • $100-$249
    • $250-$499
    • $500-$999
    • $1,000-$2,499
    • $2,500-$4,999
    • $5000-$9999
    • $10,000+

I have always been a huge fan of classic adventure games, Grim Fandango and Day of the Tentacle topping the list, and I am interested in excited to see what DF will come up with.

Why I'm a backer? I'm from Germany and grew up with adventure games.

And I loved the documentary idea: Either watching it take off or fail seemed and still seems like a fun trip to watch.

Back then I haven't thought about the signal this kickstarter sent towards publisher, but looking back now I feel proud doing my little push to support that new independence movements on a new level.

I have an unusual emotional connection with Double Fine. I played all of their games from Brutal Legend and beyond, but it's my husband (Aaron) that's always been a fan of Tim's. When I first met Aaron, he told me about how much time he'd sink into one of Tim's Adventure games after school. So when I told him I could introduce him to Schafer, he freaked out! But I teased him and said only way I'd do that, is if he'd buy me a ring one day. And he eventually did! But not only that, I really love the culture at the studio. It's great to hear things like they've never laid employees off for money reasons. And I feel like Double Fine is one of the last remaining studios that has a child-like imagination intact and aren't afraid to be funny / goofy. So when I saw news of the Kickstarter, I didn't think twice!

My reasons for backing:

1) Double Fine. I may not have played every one of their games to completion. And they're not even all entirely my cup of tea (Psychonauts is great, but I'm lousy at platformers...). But every one of them is at least interesting. It gives me joy just to see that something as off-the-wall as Stacking can even exist.

2) Point-and-click adventures. It used to be my very favorite genre of game (and still among my favorites). Supporting this project is partly a way of sending a message that we adventure gamers are still out here.

3) Tim Schafer. As the second post in the thread put it: "The perfection of Grim Fandango haunts me still." I believe Grim Fandango is the closest thing to Literature (with a capital L) anyone has yet produced in the medium of videogames. You could write a whole high-school English essay just on the way the opening cinematic foreshadows the entire game, the travel brochures reflected in Manny's own travels, even down to Celso's departure on foot being echoed in the final leg of Manny's journey, walking through the snow.

4) A History of Firsts: The first time I ever literally laughed out loud at a game was in Monkey Island ("I think we're having a real moment here."). The first time I ever felt genuine poignancy was the aforementioned trudging-through-the-snow in Grim Fandango. I think Tim and Ron Gilbert, between them, may be the masters of narrative in games.

Put all of that together, and I have absolute faith that whatever these people do with my $100, it will be worth playing.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I think I may need to go dig out one of my copies of Grim Fandango* and play through it again.

*Well, see, I bought it when it first came out, and then later I bought a discount-bin copy as a backup, because the cardboard sleeve from that original release seemed to want to scratch the discs...

To be honest, I'm not really in to adventure games but i like having stuff so i put in 100 for the shirt.

I'm a baker because:

1) Full Throttle and Grim Fandango are in my personal pantheon of games. And there were very few entries to this pantheon (Pathologic and Edna & Harvey: The Breakout actually) during the last decade. So, I'm waiting for new one.

2) I'm a game designer and I'm dreaming of making great point-and-click adventure. I have taken part in development of one already (A Stroke Of Fate: Operation Valkyrie), but to be honest this game isn't great. Especially with poor english localization. Tim and Double Fine inspire me to move forward.

I like having stuff so i put in 100 for the shirt.

Well, yeah, there's that too: You don't want to find out later on that you're stuck because the bridge troll will only let you past if you give him a DFA Backer t-shirt. >:(

I've never really played a point-and-click but I've started Escape from Monkey Island on PS2. I played through Brutal Legend and also started Psychonauts.

I liked those games(suppose I liked Brutal Legend the most but I'm biased towards Jack Black and metal)and I like Tim Schafer.

All that combined with a sense that this game would be historic in some way. Historic might be too grand a description but something along those lines on a smaller scale.

I think that about sums up why I gave the man $15.

I don't even really like adventure games.

I'm a backer because Tim is super funny and the documentary alone seemed worth the $15. Funding a really cool team and helping start this KS wildfire were great side-benefits.

I'll definitely play the game though and put some serious effort into finishing it.

I don't even really like adventure games.

I'm a backer because Tim is super funny and the documentary alone seemed worth the $15. Funding a really cool team and helping start this KS wildfire were great side-benefits.

I'll definitely play the game though and put some serious effort into finishing it.

This was it for me too, exactly.

Because SERIOUSLY fuck grey first-person shooters.

But also because it's pretty clear that the Double Fine Adventure kickstarter project was a turning point in media, and I wanted to be a part of it. I also wanted to support the people who make the really awesome games I love, and I genuinely wanted the game and soundtrack. OH and also I couldn't pass up the opportunity to witness the birth of a game.

For me it was simple. I love Double Fine's culture, artists, and games...

What really piqued my interest was the combo of Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert.

And reading up on the entire project... reading and reading.. watching video..

Eventually made me part ways with $520!

Ron Gilbert had some other good games on his conscience such as Total Annihilation..

And I recently enjoyed DeathSpank..

So I'm convinced they ALL still got what it TAKES.

Perhaps the 2 are a bit more jaded than they were in 1990, but I hope some happy can shine through. :)

assembled-airplane.jpg

I've been a Tim Schafer fan for many years and I am all too aware of the horrible relationship Double Fine has almost always had with publishers. When Microsoft dropped Psychonauts, Double Fine came frighteningly close to having to shut down. Brutal Legend went through a similar predicament, with Activision dropping it mid-development.

For all the love and care that Tim puts into his games and for all the wonderful support the fans get from Double Fine, I felt like this project is something he really deserves: A chance to make a new game in a genre he (as well as I) loves, and no risk of a publisher negatively influencing the game or pulling support altogether.

Also, this doesn't just involve Tim Schafer, but Ron Gilbert as well. It's an adventure game dream team, which make it that much more awesome.

She said it ^^

Love the creators, love the genre, love that they will document the process (in a way only they can ;) )

Much like Suda51, I will support anything Tim Schafer makes, even if they don't always turn out good. At least they're trying to be original.

(I didn't like Stacking or Costume Quest)

Well, and also adventure games are my favorite genre. And Tim's are my favorite games of that genre.

I grew up with the old Lucasfilm Games / LucasArts adventures, some of them are among my favourite games of all time. When LucasArts stopped making adventure games I was somewhat "heartbroken"... so I'm more than happy to see Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert back at it again and I'm glad I could help make it happen.

Well I backed the project because I am dying to see what kind of adventure game a veteran team (dream team?) of developers can create nowadays.

I am thankful I backed the project for the abundance of priceless moments like this:

tim-schafer-brunch.jpg

If there isn't a "favorite moments" thread in the backer forums somewhere yet, there needs to be. This shot alone is a viral internet meme just waiting to happen.

I'm a backer for several reasons:

#1. I want Tim Schafer's babies. Since this is...impractical, I will settle for copies of his intellectual offspring.

#2. I get awesome stuff for being a backer.

#3. Bragging rights.

#4. Being able to add support for DFA to my save game backup program before the competing programs can.

#5. I want the game. So bad. Uncomfortably so.

(not in order of priority)

I'm in it for the signed poster. While I'm obviously excited for the game as well, it's so far down the road that I'm having trouble really connecting with the idea of it. My stance towards it is a bit in the vein of "wake me up when it's out".

I'm a big fan of Schafer and Gilbert. I remember playing Monkey Island on my A500 before I barely knew english, being norwegian myself. A signed poster is something I would frame and proudly display, and a conversation piece both in terms of what made kickstarter famous and the fact that it's Schafer and Gilbert. Everything else in the package is just gravy.

While I've played Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Psychonauts, and Day of the Tentacle, I think Brutal Legend is actually my favourite of the bunch. I didn't care much for the RTS elements and I'd love it to be a bit longer, but the world and characters just seethe with personality and felt so alive. It was like sticking my head into someone elses imagination.

I've been a fan of adventure gaming since I played King's Quest on the PCjr in junior high school. I quickly moved to the LucasArts games from that point, mostly because of the damn rock 2 screens left from Castle Daventry that would crush you if you happened to be standing on the south side of it while typing "PUSH ROCK"

Secret of Monkey Island was the first game that literally had me laughing out loud while playing it, and from there I moved onto MI2, The Dig, Full Throttle, MI3, and Grim Fandango. (Incidently, I remember a lot of complaints on forums at the time about Grim Fandango's control scheme. It was certainly different, but it also made perfect sense once you realized that the game was intended to be played one-handed using the numpad on the keyboard, without the mouse at all)

But after that spectacular finale, the games just dried up. MI4 came out, which I played and liked, but nowhere near as much as the first three, The Longest Journey tried to revive the genre, but didn't succeed despite the depth of the story, and the whole adventure game genre got folded into action-adventure, leaving nothing left for the purists.

I was stoked a couple years ago when Telltale started successfully bringing pure adventure back, and now that Tim and Ron are heading back to the genre they helped define, I was more then happy to send thirty bucks their way.

Because the Point-and-Click Adventure genre needs to live on! I can't count the times lost playing IJ: The Fate of Atlantis, Countdown, Maniac Mansion, that Star Trek adventure game, King's Quest V & VI, Inherit the Earth, Loom and other adventure games back when I was a kid.

Why? Let me think... because i live adventure games? Because i love Double Fine? Because im getting a game and a documentary ? Heck it could also be the fact that i like the idea of kickstarter and wanted to be a part of it on something i really wanted to happen.

I'm a big fan of Tim Schafer and Double Fine and my buying policy for their games is "It's made by them? Oh, then it must be great!", so I guess taking part in the Kickstarter project was inevitable. Also, I get a bunch of neat stuff. I like adventure games and I trust that Double Fine is able to do what they have done before - create a fun and enjoyable gaming experience. I'm glad they gave me an opportunity to help them prove that adventure games are not dead.

I'm a big fan of Tim Schafer and Double Fine and my buying policy for their games is "It's made by them? Oh, then it must be great!", so I guess taking part in the Kickstarter project was inevitable. Also, I get a bunch of neat stuff. I like adventure games and I trust that Double Fine is able to do what they have done before - create a fun and enjoyable gaming experience. I'm glad they gave me an opportunity to help them prove that adventure games are not dead.

^^^^^What they said.

I wanted to be part of something made by my hero, Tim Schafer. I've pretty much fallen in love with how that guys makes with the funny in the games. Also, the games.

I donated because I have been a huge fan of graphic adventures ever since Grim Fandango and have supported almost anything to promote the genre. I donated as much as I did particularly to this because Tim and Ron are involved and my philosophy towards both of them has always been "Shut up and take my money" except for Brutal Legend. I was not a big fan of Brutal Legend.

Sign in to follow this