Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Norbert

POLL: Main reason you became a backer of this project?

POLL: Main reason you became a backer of this project?  

713 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Main reason you became a backer of this project?

• Tim Schafer and/or Ron Gilbert
    • (A game) Double Fine: Psychonauts and/or Brütal Legend
    • (A game) Double Fine: another game
    • (A game) Grim Fandango
    • (A game) Full Throttle and/or Day of the Tentacle
    • (A game) One or more of the Monkey Island games
    • (A game) Last Crusade and/or Zak McKracken and/or Maniac Mansion
    • (To get) The final product
    • (To get) Access to the beta
    • (To get) One of the things you had to pledge more than $15 for
    • To be a part of history
    • Not enough point-and-click adventure games being made
    • The documentary that shows a look behind the curtain
    • Being able to give feedback and access this forum
    • No publisher involved

A similar thread can be found here, but it doesn't include poll options related to this question.

...and I really want a poll about this! :P

Yep, please pick the option that is the main reason you became a backer.

(I know that lots of reasons/answers could be combined, and that your precise answer probably isn’t listed.)

I’m curious to know why you folks decided to back this project...

Brutal Legend introduced me to Double Fine.

Everything else since then has simply been amazing. (CQ, IB, Stacking)

I'm not forgetting Psychonauts either. Probably one of my fave of all time and why I still have my PS2.

I loved Grim Fandango and I REALLY loved Psychonauts.

I also note that the video game market is beginning to look like Hollywood's yearly output - very homogenous. That's why, for me, it is important that very creative developers who explore genres other than FPS or sandbox with guns! (the latter of which I really like, actually) keep in business and continue to do projects that push creative boundaries.

"No publisher involved" is the closest reason why, though specifically it's more to "Send a statement" to the publishers that motivated me.

Day of the Tentacle was one of the first games I played and I loved both it and Grim Fandango. So, when I heard that Schafer might make another point-and-click adventure game, I jumped on the opportunity to contribute.

Maniac Mansion is the earliest game I remember playing. After that Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle have always been some of my favorite games of all time and I continued to love and play them into adulthood through SCUMMVM. I actually didn't even realize they all had the same people working on them until recently when I played and loved Brutal Legend and started reading up on Tim's career. I had a sudden realization of "Holy Crap. All of the games I've ever loved have all been made by the same people!" Soon after I heard about DFA and fell in love all over again. Since, I've been catching up on things that I've missed like Psychonauts and Grim Fandango. I can't wait to spend the next year immersed in this experience. Thanks Double Fine!!!!

A number of reasons:

-Tim has been entertaining me since I first played Maniac Mansion in high school

-some of my favourite games of all time were made by Tim (Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle, etc)

-Double Fine has never let me down (except Brutal Legend...)

-excited to get another point / click adventure game that is good (sorry Telltale Games)

I realize they're hardly point and click adventure games, but I was introduced to Double Fine through Costume Quest, and really loved Iron Brigade(Trenched) as well. I also played Stacking but after playing it with a high fever and getting nauseated, I haven't really gone back to it...

I felt like he could make a great game even if I haven't tried his adventure games, so I backed him. Plus the poster and T-Shirt helped...In the end I just wanted to see how this ride plays out, as I don't have much nostalgia, or experience for point and click adventures personally; I'm just excited to see how this whole process will work, see how a game is made behind the scenes, and if all else I get some random swag.

Games are under-appreciated and underutilized as an art form. Double Fine strikes a...ahem..."fine" balance between great stories, characters, and gameplay. I think their recent games have been great, but I would like to see something from them more like Grim Fandango and Psychonauts, which are both very influential to me and the work I (try to) do.

1. Tim Schafer

2. Finally, a quality 2D adventure game.

3. Adventure games today lack passion.

4. More games like DOTT and Full Throttle.

5. NOSTALGIA

No single answer really applies (though I did vote :))! It's a combination of the Double Fine Team, love for adventure games, the promise of an insightful/well produced documentary, being privy to the creation of a game in a way I never thought I'd be able to, helping a game get produced sans publisher, seeing how well-done other DF games were ... and a love for crepes. All equally valid reasons for pledging, I feel. :D

I'll quote myself from the other thread, because there's no point in typing out the same thing twice.

I've been a Tim Schafer fan for many years and I am all too aware of the horrible relationship Double Fine has almost always had with publishers. When Microsoft dropped Psychonauts, Double Fine came frighteningly close to having to shut down. Brutal Legend went through a similar predicament, with Activision dropping it mid-development.

For all the love and care that Tim puts into his games and for all the wonderful support the fans get from Double Fine, I felt like this project is something he really deserves: A chance to make a new game in a genre he (as well as I) loves, and no risk of a publisher negatively influencing the game or pulling support altogether.

Also, this doesn't just involve Tim Schafer, but Ron Gilbert as well. It's an adventure game dream team, which make it that much more awesome.

I went with the top choice, but it's pretty much a combination of that, the "Not enough point-and-click adventure games being made" one, and "No publisher involved." The documentary, beta access, and backer forums are really nice bonuses, but I'm certain that I still would have pledged towards the project without them.

As others have said, it's really a combination of things. But Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert are probably the biggest factors. It's not to say I wouldn't have supported an adventure game kickstarter without these two, but they're the ones responsible for a lot of my best memories of the genre.

Well, while I voted "Tim Schafer" and it still is the main reason, some points to note:

1) How did I know of the whole project? "Notch sent me here". Seriously, his tweets about Double Fine led me to this kickstarter.

2) More games like those Tim / Double Fine already did!

3) The "access to the beta" bonus is something I'm growing to like

4) ..and, while a realization came later, this may be a beginning of a serious new trend of kickstarter-style funded games, and I'd certainly like to support this movement and hope it will not fade into oblivion anytime soon.

My main motivation was showing appreciation to the genre and showing that there still is a market for P&C adventures.

ADVENTURE GAMES ARE NOT DEAD! ;)

Of course this being made by Tim & Ron made this kind of a no brainer for me.

I'm surprised at how many "There isn't enough point and click adventures being made" votes there are.

It feels like were getting more adventure games than ever lately, but I guess they just get ignored, which is rather sad... :down:

After I heard that it's being made by Ron and Tim I instantly jumped in. Then I just wanted to get the box and have my name in the credits :).

+1 To be a part of history

I can´t wait to see the documentaries!!

To those who believe that “There isn’t enough point and click adventures being made” I recommend visiting developers such as:

- Pendulo studios

- Daedalic Entertainment

- Amanita Design

- KING Art

+1 To be a part of history

I can´t wait to see the documentaries!!

To those who believe that “There isn’t enough point and click adventures being made” I recommend visiting developers such as:

- Pendulo studios

- Daedalic Entertainment

- Amanita Design

- KING Art

Let's not forget Telltale, Autumn Moon Entertainment and WadjetEye Games!

I wanted to contribute to the proof that adventure games are not dead.

(Since there's no such choice in the poll though I voted 'to be part of history'.

I also think there are plenty of point and click adventures being made, which makes it all the stranger that there's not enough appreciation for them.

I suppose it's just a genre that doesn't inspire enough fanaticism - which is a good thing.

The $1 I initially pledged was for the idea of the Kickstarter and my fond memories of playing Ron Gilbert adventure games. The $15 I pledged after I watched the introductory video and thought that Tim was great and I'd love to see him in more videos, so it's worth getting to a tier where I can get videos. The $30 I think I pledged in large part because of the community at the Kickstarter project.

Of course the things I get (videos, games) do matter, and I also like the idea of participating in a forum, and possibly helping squash bugs.

I cannot select multiple answers.

I backed this project for more than 1 reason.

I really can't vote on this since it's Double Fine's whole history that has me willing to back them.

This poll lacks one final option: all of the above. ;)

agreed.

Grim Fandango was the game in which I discovered the great Tim Schafer, after playing that, I played Full Throttle, then the Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2 in which I discovered Ron Gilbert. Played Day of the Tentacle then.

I actually never knew of Double Fine until I seen Yahtzee's review of Psychonauts, after the video I just had to buy Psychonauts, then I bought it again over Christmas on GOG.

Even though I loved Psychonauts and Grim was the first Lucas Arts games I played, I was still hoping that Tim or Ron would do another 2d Point and Click Adventure, It didn't seem likely at the time, Publishers wouldn't care for it, Double Fine seemed to be leaning towards console's and it seemed Great adventure games had been lost when Lucas Arts decided Star Wars and Indiana Jones games make more money despite the few that come from good Indie Dev's.

When I seen these project, I couldn't believe it, I insta-backed it.

I became a backer for all of the above and because I never thought I would see the day Tim Schafer and Ron Gilbert would work together again on a Classic Adventure Game. I wish Double Fine the best of luck and can't wait for the Release.

One main reason, and one supplementary.

No publisher involvement. For me this is key, between this and Wasteland I've given every penny I can afford while being able to pay my rent because I truly believe that less publisher involvement is a good thing, and that gaming as a hobby rather than as a timewaster is still a thing that should be supported.

Supplementary to that, the movement needs a couple of figureheads, people who have a proven track record and are well known enough to get decent publicity.

This is why I gave, because I want to see game developers doing what they do best, making games. Not worrying over E3 demo versions, arbitrary publisher-set milestones and forcibly included multi-player modes. I want the dev-team to make the decisions they feel will result in the game they wanted to make. If that results in some things I don't want or don't like, that's A-OK with me. In fact, I'm expecting it. But the end result is not what I contributed for, the journey and what might come from it is what I supported.

Kicking It Forward is a good example of exactly why I wanted to support these ventures.

So many reasons!

But I chose the "The documentary that shows a look behind the curtain" because that, to me, was my most favourite benefit of the donation. This is as close to the exciting world of game development I'll ever get, and I am SO eager to see how it all happens ^_^

I backed the project to get hard copies of the game and documentary (originally it was just to get the soundtrack but I switched my pledge soon after that). Having my name in credits is a nice bonus :)

Sign in to follow this