Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Norbert

POLL: Who are you (location, gender, age)?

POLL: Who are you (location, gender, age)?  

1,665 members have voted

1. 1. POLL: Who are you (location, gender, age)?

• North America & male & under 30
    • North America & male & 30-50
    • North America & male & over 50
    • North America & female & under 30
    • North America & female & 30-50
    • North America & female & over 50
    • Europe & male & under 30
    • Europe & male & 30-50
    • Europe & male & over 50
    • Europe & female & under 30
    • Europe & female & 30-50
    • Europe & female & over 50
    • Asia & male & under 30
    • Asia & male & 30-50
    • Asia & male & over 50
    • Asia & female & under 30
    • Asia & female & 30-50
    • Asia & female & over 50
    • Africa or South America or Australia or Antarctica & male & under 30
    • Africa or South America or Australia or Antarctica & male & 30-50
    • Africa or South America or Australia or Antarctica & male & over 50
    • Africa or South America or Australia or Antarctica & female & under 30
    • Africa or South America or Australia or Antarctica & female & 30-50
    • Africa or South America or Australia or Antarctica & female & over 50

Yes, very astute. However foreign/fantasy is easy, Diversity/Uniquity isn't.

I'm not exactly sure what you're saying here (not being facetious, it's just kind of unclear). Are you saying that America doesn't have uniqueness/diversity? Because it probably has one of the most diverse mix of people and cultures anywhere in the world. I'm not saying there's anywhere close to as much history or diversity of culture as in the entirety of Europe, but calling it monochrome seems hard to defend.

Although I don't really disagree with your main point that it would be cool to have an adventure game based in some way on a more obscure European mythology.

It's less that I want European and more I want less American culture which Full Throttle, Monkey Island, DOTT, Psychonauts, and grim fandango(just a little) were heavily focused on. I want diversity African, South American, European, Middle eastern, Asian, and Australasian all thrown in the mixing pot. I understand that of course DF are going to make games heavy with American under themes, they are American. I just thought It'd be nice if they tried to move away from that considering how international this games supporters clearly are.

There's just one senior over 50?

I'm pretty sure that if you make this poll again 20 years in the future there are going to be a lot of people on that category... I wil!

The main method of humor in adventure games is pop culture references and parodies. But the pop culture material most likely to be understood by everyone is American (like American TV Shows, American History etc). I don't think it would be wise if the Double Fine Developers go research the culture of one European/African/Asian country and write jokes that no one from anywhere else than this country will understand.

Also, what is wrong about DOTT? I agree that it was very American, but I loved that game and would be happy if the new adventure would be half as good.

Wow, some interesting results. I would have guessed North American males under 30. I wonder if Double Fine games were just marketed better in Europe, if Europeans prefer point and shoots, or if Europeans just get onto forums and take polls more than North Americans. I think we need a poll to figure this out!

23/Male/UK

I'm not a big fan of pina coladas or getting caught in the rain.

Wait so am I right about most Bakas being European?

Because it is still looking that way and it has been nearly 24 hours.

I hope this game is more European-y, DOWN WITH THE AMERICAN MONOCULTURE!

Jorvik European here, <30.

All you can conclusively tell from an internet poll is that a majority of the people who bothered to respond to the poll are European. It won't get you any accurate demographic info. Maybe Kickstarter would release general statistics for the project eventually, that would be cool.

Yeah, my first thought was that this poll only reflects the willingness to participate in a poll. So it seems that in europe, polls are very popular right now :)

by the way I am from austria and I dont like polls (...still I participated)

F 30 California, and have you beat an old school Adventure this weekend? I just played through The Journeyman Legacy 3.

I'm just slightly confused as to why Australia is in the same group as Africa, South America and Antarctica :D

Hehe and where's New Zealand? Apparently I have to be Australian again!

This is actually an incredibly insensitive poll, but I'll forgive you because the breakdown of countries made me laugh.

Huh, I'm not really sure how to interpret these results. Also throwing all the 'leftover' countries together at the end, haha. Talk about a mishmash of cultures. You might as well have put Other.

Not sure if i liked to be in the "others" group with such variety of different countries and cultures.... it would be nice to make an appropriate poll with all separate continents.

anyway, i'm from Chile, 22 years old.

NA M under 30

I'm surprised the crowd here isn't older. Although maybe the 30+ don't have as much time for forums and just want to play :)

Repping the Australasian corridor, from the atlantic to the pacific there's a few diehard adventure fans willing to back a blind horse

Not that this is exactly a scientific poll, but we might have to re-evaluate exactly how much of that backer money will be spent on postage! Hint: probably a significant amount!

Early on I said that if 25% of people who backed over $100 were from europe, that's about $30,000 worth of extra $10 pledged. But from this it looks like it could be half the backers, perhaps even more. It seems that, combine with all the new rewards they have to post, Double Fine may be spending a bit more than they expected on postage!

Either that or Europeans just really like visiting forums and doing polls. Or the poll was posted at a time that made a lot more Europeans answer it initially. Still, looking at the Kickstarter comments, there are a LOT of European names in there.

EDIT: Oh, and 29, male, UK

I'm kind of surprised to see so many Europeans, just because I understood it's more difficult to give on Kickstarter outside of the US. Of course I always expect Europeans to be more passionate about PC-centric genres.

It's too bad Kickstarter doesn't allow Europeans to start projects. I'd love to see an LBA kickstarter. Or really a lot of Euro franchises that can't get support because they never caught on here.

I'd love to see an LBA kickstarter. Or really a lot of Euro franchises that can't get support because they never caught on here.

Oh, snap! I love your thinking!

I'm a little baffled by where the problems were for European backers, or those with credit cards anyway. I love Amazon.

Edit: as you can see, I have a lot of love.

Re-edit: I assume no-one cares, but if you want to know my a/s/l just click on my damn sig.

Re-re-edit: Can we say 'damn' here?

I'm kind of surprised to see so many Europeans, just because I understood it's more difficult to give on Kickstarter outside of the US. Of course I always expect Europeans to be more passionate about PC-centric genres.

It's too bad Kickstarter doesn't allow Europeans to start projects. I'd love to see an LBA kickstarter. Or really a lot of Euro franchises that can't get support because they never caught on here.

Actually you only need an Amazon account and a credit card. And Amazon accounts are global afaik.

Also, Germany, male, 33

Sign in to follow this