Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SmashManiac

Most Overrated Point and Click Adventure Games

By far the most overrated adventure game for me has to be SAM & MAX HIT THE ROAD. I found the characters incredibly insufferable and unfunny, and the puzzles which involved "Use Max" was some of the cheapest I could remember. I cannot explain how much I hate this game - I really, really, really do.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/clint_ew.gif

Um... are there people who paid $1 simply so they can tell 79,999 or whatever people they hate Tim Schaefer?

I know people do that kind of thing. Pay money and spend energy on things they hate instead of what they love. They love to hate. There are entire websites dedicated to these sycopanths, sociopathic social pariahs who think everyone else are social pariahs.

I'm not truly complaining though, they want to spend their $1s for that right, go ahead. As long as that dollar was actually in their back account.

By the way, I didn't like TLJ either, and I really wanted to. The dialogues or some scenes were way too long for my personal taste, and so much time without interacting, but just watching and listening, drew me out of the game constantly.

I love TLJ, but some of the characters talked WAY too slowly. Depending on how far you got, you may not have even gotten to these, but there were some you just had to have subtitles on for so you could read the dialogue and click through the voice acting. Otherwise listening to them was excruciating.

Um... are there people who paid $1 simply so they can tell 79,999 or whatever people they hate Tim Schaefer?

I know people do that kind of thing. Pay money and spend energy on things they hate instead of what they love. They love to hate. There are entire websites dedicated to these sycopanths, sociopathic social pariahs who think everyone else are social pariahs.

I'm not truly complaining though, they want to spend their $1s for that right, go ahead. As long as that dollar was actually in their back account.

God forbid somebody gives their honest opinion about a game they purchased. Nobody here is ripping on Tim Schaefer, he's literally a legend in the industry, but not everything somebody does works for everybody. Just like new music artists you might like their old stuff but the new CD didn't jive with you, not a big deal. You can't please everybody and I'm positive Tim and the DF team know this and can take some amount of criticism in stride. Now, if people are actually coming here just to talk trash - I think they should be banned outright, but the people in this thread are just giving feedback on the games they have played. It would be a pointless circle jerk if we all just posted about how awesome all the games were.

I personally don't like original Sam & Max.

Love telltale ones, but not original - it's short, boring and not funny.

I personally don't like original Sam & Max.

Love telltale ones, but not original - it's short, boring and not funny.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/tumblr_lurveuGEoC1qlen6y.gif

Three can play at this. I think Grim Fandango is an overrated boring game. Tales of Monkey Island is soulless garbage compacted into something that looks edible. Telltale's Sam and Max might as well be called "Recycling: the game."

I have to say I could never get into TLJ. Tried the demo back in the day, and wasn’t even interested enough to finish it. After all of the continued hype I tried it again, and it still didn’t interest me. Granted I never played through the whole game, so maybe it gets really good after the first hour?

The main story takes a while to get going and it stays fairly open ended at the beginning so you can explore and talk to the characters. If you take the time to do that, you create a bond with them which is important for later in the story (emotionally important, not necessarily for the plot). If you rush through it, then...well, why would anyone want to rush through an adventure game?

Not sure what all the hate for TLJ is for, but for every fan there will be those who it didn't click with. I've played through it twice that I can remember and enjoyed it equally both times. The dialogue can go on, but I don't get annoyed by that if it's well written, which I think it is in this case. I look at adventure games like they're the most amazing audio books you'll ever experience with great voice acting, engaging puzzles, beautiful artwork, and usually amazing music. So, a long-winded dialogue tree is something that should be thought of like the turning of pages in a book and learning that much more about a character and the world they inhabit.

As for Dreamfall, great story/voice acting/writing/music/artwork, lame gameplay. Except for the cave sequence, which was a game bug, the rest of the gameplay is...not terrible, just meh. But, it's cool to see some of TLJ environments in 3D. As for the story, it has emotional closure, but the plot is left open for the next sequel. It's akin to Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (the extended edition of the movie, which is much better than the theatrical...and no, I haven't read the books yet). It's the middle of a larger story, but it has an emotional arc that defines the movie on its own terms.

I should provide examples to back up my claims, but it's late and people will disagree with me regardless, so I'm totally playing the lazy card on this one. Night y'all.

This thread is getting more and more negative as it goes on. If it had just a slightly different focus (Hell, even just titled differently. "Overrated" probably wasn't the best word choice. Perhaps "Popular adventure games you didn't like" would have worked better instead), probably could have avoided some of the angry/defensive responses that are popping up.

Don't let the thread turn into this:

zPBSg.jpg

I'm not saying people's opinions are wrong, I'm just saying that what they're saying is in fact an opinion rather than fact (or even "fact by majority vote") and that stating that that in itself is fact is in fact not an opinion but absolutely wrong.

...at least I think that's what I'm saying...it's 3:30 AM.

What it seems to me some people are saying (with regards to negative Sierra comments) is "What I'm saying is true!" and my response is "No it's not, it's your opinion!"

It's quite clear that we all love adventure games because we all pledged to Double Fine Adventure. Also, these forums are designed to help the fine folks at Double Fine create their game, and I believe it's as important to point out what we like about adventure games than what we dislike in order to do so, especially for diverging opinions.

I therefore created this thread, not to create a fanboy war, but rather as a way to point out the elements that some people may like or don't care about popular adventure games that could make one of the worst gaming experience for someone else. Don't call it "overrated" if you don't like that word, but I can't think of any better word to describe it. Just saying "I hate King's Quest" is just negative and goes nowhere, but saying "I hate King's Quest because you constantly die for simple mistakes" or "I hate King's Quest because I've never heard of Rumpelstiltskin before and I couldn't solve that puzzle" is constructive.

Personally I've always find it fascinating to meet somebody that hates from the bottom of their heart a game I absolutely adore, and hear his opinion on the matter. Almost all the time I completely understand how that person feels when he describes it, and yet I would have never thought about it because those same elements didn't bother me. It's also important to understand that your experience may not match somebody else's. For example, I've always thought that the arrow sign puzzle in Grim Fandango was the best and most clever puzzle in the entire game, but because I'm a math nerd, I would have never imagined that it was the worst puzzle of the game to most people simply because they wouldn't naturally think of geometry while playing an adventure game.

That said, I'd like to see people discuss in more details those points, not in a defensive way, but with an open mind. Mothhive's reply about why I disliked The Longest Journey really struck me because I would have never thought about most of the things he said and it allowed me to express more clearly my own opinion, and I hope he felt the same way when he read my original post.

So yeah, don't troll and stay cool. I know it's not easy, but please try. :)

Just saying "I hate King's Quest" is just negative and goes nowhere, but saying "I hate King's Quest because you constantly die for simple mistakes" or "I hate King's Quest because I've never heard of Rumpelstiltskin before and I couldn't solve that puzzle" is constructive.

Yes, that's true. I'm ok with that. But saying that it's specifically "bad game design" is something completely different and not objective at all. It's simply not true.

Personally I've always find it fascinating to meet somebody that hates from the bottom of their heart a game I absolutely adore, and hear his opinion on the matter. Almost all the time I completely understand how that person feels when he describes it, and yet I would have never thought about it because those same elements didn't bother me.

I can't actually think of an adventure game I absolutely loathed in every way. Syberia I guess comes the closest. But I wouldn't say I absolutely hated it.

What I find absolutely fascinating and baffling is the fact that LucasArts fans have much more of a capacity for hatred towards Sierra than Sierra fans have towards LucasArts. I love them both. I consider Sierra superior, but I don't hate anything from LucasArts. In fact I really love what they did. It's just strange that most of the people who hate anything are on the LucasArts side of the fence. Is that because LucasArts' games were easier/more approachable?

What I find absolutely fascinating and baffling is the fact that LucasArts fans have much more of a capacity for hatred towards Sierra than Sierra fans have towards LucasArts. I love them both. I consider Sierra superior, but I don't hate anything from LucasArts. In fact I really love what they did. It's just strange that most of the people who hate anything are on the LucasArts side of the fence. Is that because LucasArts' games were easier/more approachable?

Some bitterness might be part of this hatred. As far as I know many (most?) Sierra titles sold considerably better than any of LucasFilm/Arts' adventures ever did, and if you are a fan who considers LA adventures to be superior you might feel a bit miffed about that ("Why were people so DUMB to pay for CLEARLY INFERIOR Sierra games! Because of THEM Sam & Max 2 was CANCELLED! *Nerdrage*"). I'm just guessing here, honestly.

Speaking for myself, I prefer LucasArts adventures, but I've played most of the Sierra games as well, and I enjoyed many of them, if not for their puzzles but for their atmosphere or their humor. The Dagger of Amon Ra, for example, contains some horrible game design decisions, in my opinion, but still I enjoyed it for the great visuals and music. For me, LA games have better puzzle design (you know the usual arguments: no dead ends, no sudden deaths), but I eventually got to understand that Sierra's more "hazardous" puzzles can have an appeal as well.

At the same time, some of the love is nostalgic romanticization, no doubt. For example, I have very fond memories of Zak McKracken, but when I look at the game from a more "objective" perspective I must say that the game's obsession with mazes is at least as annoying as some of the unfair deaths or enraging action-sequences of certain Sierra adventures.

It's quite clear that we all love adventure games because we all pledged to Double Fine Adventure. Also, these forums are designed to help the fine folks at Double Fine create their game, and I believe it's as important to point out what we like about adventure games than what we dislike in order to do so, especially for diverging opinions.

Heh. I just realized you were also the person talking about Portal 2 co-op in thread about puzzles you didn't like. Portal 2 co-op and The Longest Journey are two of my favorite gaming experiences of all time. Diverging opinions indeed. :)

What I find absolutely fascinating and baffling is the fact that LucasArts fans have much more of a capacity for hatred towards Sierra than Sierra fans have towards LucasArts.
That's an easy conundrum to solve! Sierra games are terrible, and people who like them would like any old garbage, but LucasArts fans are connoisseurs of the form, and only appreciate true art.

(Yes, that was sarcasm. I remember the Kings\Space\Police Quest games fondly.)

They are so differently designed it's like night and day. The dying and time limits in Sierra games were very tough for me. Sierra games I'd never make it far when I was younger, where as with LucasArts games I'd be challenged, but not so much that I just had to give up. Lucas puzzles would stump you, but they were rarely 'too hard' for me to work out even as a pre-teen. It's hard to find that balance. I think it would be really cool if you could turn on optional deaths in whatever game is produced. Some of the funniest things in kings quest were all the ways you could die!

Not so much over-rated as massively disappointing.

Warcraft Adventures.

They almost completed it and then they cancelled it and clammed up! I actually thought for a few years that I'd totally imagined reading a preview of the game because I couldn't find anything about it at all. Then last year I found some videos on youtube of someone playing a bootleg copy. :-O DOOOOO WAAAAAAAANT.

Stupid Blizzard.

The single most disappointing adventure game for me, was Syberia. The world was so empty, boring, and lifeless that I ended up welcoming every instance of its mediocre localisation, as it meant that I had an NPC to interact with. The puzzles felt like the greatest challenge lay in actually finding the objects, rather than working out how they fit together. I forget what the solution was, but one puzzle I particularly hated involved the protagonist damming an entire river so she could walk across without getting her shoes too wet. Every adventure has a few contrived puzzles, but I can't recall any other that involved destroying a wilderness area for the sake of footwear. And an aspect of the game design itself that I loathed was the way in which, when the cursor lit up to indicate an area as being one which can be visited, half of the time the protagonist would say "No need to go down there" and refuse to move. It's like the decision to have the cursor light up over unvisitable areas was made purely to irritate the player and artificially prolong the game's length.

More recently, I was let down by almost every aspect of The Whispered World, but I was forewarned about its grating voice overs and illogical puzzles, so it wasn't quite as disappointing as Syberia.

I also second everyone expressing a lack of affection for The Longest Journey.

Really? I adored The Longest Journey. I'm sad to see that so many people didn't.

I knew you would come, sooner or later. There's no way out of here. Did you know that? There's no way out of Victory Hotel. All exits just...they just lead back inside.

Another disappointment I had: there seems a while back to have been a trend for horror-themed Mystalikes and whilst I really wanted to get into them, I couldn't get into any of the most widely-acclaimed games in that vein (Scratches, Dark Fall and Barrow Hill). I posted reviews of my issues with them here, here and here.

Another disappointment I had: there seems a while back to have been a trend for horror-themed Mystalikes and whilst I really wanted to get into them, I couldn't get into any of the most widely-acclaimed games in that vein (Scratches, Dark Fall and Barrow Hill).

It's curious, because I loved Scratches, I just liked Dark Fall (actually I've got the second part but the first one didn't make me wish to play it, so it's still waiting), and I didn't like Barrow Hill (to the point I abandoned it)...

Interesting how our responses can vary. I've only played the first Dark Fall, but if the sequels are meant to be a substantial improvement I might see about changing that.

I should say Myst. I know it sold millions but to me, it's really dull and empty. And reading book and books and books isn't that fun in an adventuregame. I never managed to finish it or Riven.

I guess part of the thing with Myst was that people were bowled over by the (for the time) cutting-edge graphics, and by the fact that it was the first game (or at least the first game which hit the popular consciousness) to offer the particular type of control system it did. I'd be interested in playing other adventure games with a Myst-like control system (I think people call them "slideshow"-type adventures?) but if I got around to playing Myst itself it'd be because I was interested in it as a game which presented some interesting technical advancements, rather than as a game which has really stood the test of time.

My first post, hello everyone.

I am kinda surprised by all the hate for Myst. It is surely not for everyone (pacing, storytelling and puzzles are far different what was developed by the only lucasarts games), but I have fond memories of both the original myst, and Riven.

Myst might be a bit of a scapegoat for being (at least partly) responsible for the eventual [del]death[/del] decline of traditional adventure games. Suddenly, many subsequent adventure releases had to be Myst clones. People new to adventure games got the impression that the whole genre was about manipulating machinery and interpreting symbols in pre-rendered environments.

Not so much over-rated as massively disappointing.

Warcraft Adventures.

They almost completed it and then they cancelled it and clammed up! I actually thought for a few years that I'd totally imagined reading a preview of the game because I couldn't find anything about it at all. Then last year I found some videos on youtube of someone playing a bootleg copy. :-O DOOOOO WAAAAAAAANT.

Stupid Blizzard.

Indeed. I remember reading about that. It was supposed to compete with Curse of Monkey Island. They did, however, release a novel with most of the intended story, though.

Overrated is a subjective concept. But Leisure Suit Larry. About as appealing to me as those American Pie movies, which is to say not at all.

Oh good grief yes. Leisure Suit Larry was just embarrassing from start to finish.

Sign in to follow this