Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
emberage

Nostalgia vs Originality

Reading through the many posts and polls cropping up in the brand spanking new forum, I've come across an interesting development; the people so far don't want something in their favored settings or stories, but they seem to want what hearkens back to the adventure games they love. Some say they want something that *feels* like their favorite game, but not a continuation of the game itself, even if it were within Double Fine's power to get the right for/is already in their stable.

In short, it seems that most want a game that gives them nostalgia while not sacrificing originality.

It's easy to grant nostalgia for a sequel, because you have the same characters that made you like the original (unless they've done something wrong). It's much more difficult to bottle up an elusive feeling, that spark of magic, that first attracted you to the genre when DF has to start from scratch with a whole new setting. I'm not saying nostalgia and originality are mutually exclusive, but it is much more difficult.

For all we know, Tim already has a broad story or goal to work with. He may not want to/be able to focus on the nostalgia, but there is decent potential they're listening to us here, and taking notes. If they do wish to, how would Double Fine go about tackling this?

In short, it seems that most want a game that gives them nostalgia while not sacrificing originality.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head, yes.

Tim said many times that DFA isn't going to be an adventure game museum. It's going to be as if LucasArts continued making 2D adventure games. Same adventure formula, but a completely new experience.

Yes, I agree that most of us want something nostalgic and original. But let's put it in slightly different words: I would like this game to have a familiar feel, similar to Monkey Island ect, but I don't want it to be a Monkey Island or Grim game. I don't think that this desire / expectation could possibly be a thorn in the Double Fine team's side; because they already knew that we wanted something similar to these old school adventure games. I think it will turn out well :)

Simply using a point-and-click/touch interface and the adventure game genre by itself is already enough nostalgia for me.

I really hope the game turns out as an explosion of originality as I have come to expect from Double Fine games. I don't want it to feel like a game from the 90's, it's free to remind of that time but I prefer nothing more.

Part of the project was to proof Adventure games are not dead for mainstream consumption right? in that case you can't get stuck in the past and concepts that were established almost 3 decades ago.

Original doesn't mean good, although I would love to see a great original game, im leaning more towards the Nostalgia aspect.

Old school Monkey Island/DOTT style Adventure game would be awesome, I don't care about High Resolutions or how it would work in modern times.

I really doubt that will be the case though, there probably gonna do it in the style of The Curse of Monkey Island.

This is actually a great question. As I suggested in the "worst puzzles" thread, Adventure games are in many ways memorable for their flaws as much as their strengths. There will be a choice to be made between embracing the past and moving forward.

Personally I think nostalgia will be an inevitable and enjoyable by-product of the general nature of the project; mostly I am excited to see the people who defined the genre for so many return to it with a fresh entry. As a designer and gamer, I'll be fascinated to see the genre progress and evolve under the wing of such old-school experience. DF should just try and make the best game they can within the genre, it's not about being retro or vintage or nostalgic, it's about what a great adventure game would be like if it was released today.

I want something original more than having something with nostalgia. It would be nice to have that feeling, but if in the end they want to make something completely new they should go for that instead of trying to make us reminisce about other games.

I want something awesome and original, I can be nostalgic about it later...

Actually, that's a good point; nostalgia is just a feeling of fondness while looking back upon something. Make anything good or memorable enough, and in the future, you'll be nostalgic for it.

Actually, that's a good point; nostalgia is just a feeling of fondness while looking back upon something. Make anything good or memorable enough, and in the future, you'll be nostalgic for it.

Exactly, we don't need this game to remind us how cool the old ones were; half of us are still playing them :)

99% original .5% Nostalgia, .5% Undecided (Things that just make you scratch your head)

Little alludes here and there are great ("do i smell bacon?") but this game is quite possibly introducing many new players to the genre. lets not confuse them too much.

Throw in some hidden refrences or jokes while keeping the style. Everything else should be new.

i don't want to hold Double Fine to it AT ALL, but as far as nostalgia is concerned, there's just something about a list of verbs and that old pixelated art style. Amirite?

lostgame_animation.gif

hansoloadventures.jpg

- Ryan

Both nostalgia and originality are over rated :)

Instead, I say I hope they are allowed to be creative in ways Publishers were always "Uh uh, don't do that, marketing says..." If that "accidentally" ends up being both nostalgic and original, cool - because sometimes being original is just doing what you did before with a willingness to go "Huh, if I had another go at this I think I would change this..." No Publishers (but us Backers), go wild! Wooo! *strips naked and runs off*

I think that Double Fine should experiment with the formula. This is the first "big" adventure game that anyone has dared make in years, and in all reality it could very well be the last, so with that in mind, this should be a balls-out, go-for-broke game where nothing is sacred and they are free to try new things and re-invent the formula.

Originality should be the primary factor here, but I would love to see little nods to classic adventure games. Pixar is the perfect example of this; with each new movie they innovate, they try new things, and aren't afraid to break the mold, yet every film they have made has loving references to their older works as well as in-jokes hidden throughout for fans of the studio. That is what I would like to see.

Let's begin forging a piece of nostalgia for the future. Create a game that we can look back upon in the same way look back upon games we loved as children.

I would say they should attempt to create a game which makes you nostalgic for days which haven't happened yet.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head, yes.

This

I'll be happy as long as DF stays away from doing things like storing game 3.5 floppy disks, marketing it as "nostalgic appeal". The game should be accessible to those who have never played an adventure game, while reaching out to those who are life long fans of the genre. The cardboard box reward is a perfect example: collector's item for the fans, Steam download for the newbies.

"Originality" seems to only be determined based on the obscurity of your source.. the better an idea the more often it will be repeated throughout time, so I really don't believe that DF should be exhausting themselves trying to create anything original. Instead, all that really matters in the end is execution. If the quality of writing is there, then it doesn't matter what ideas they use or re-use..

Good question. I have a feeling the nostalgia will come from the feeling of the puzzles, not the actual puzzles themselves. They will most likely be wacky clever and fun, trademarks of Tim and Ron's old adventure games. The rest could be new. The interface might be familiar as well if they go with ol' P'n'C. They could try to pull a Grim Fandango and innovate on the control scheme again.

I think I'd appreciate a little sort of minigame somehow which tilts the hat back to the old games. Sam&Max; Season 1 had an episode which went all the way back to text adventure, and it was brilliant. Be hard to fit in as seamlessly as telltale managed though. That aside, I'd prefer originality.

Now, I wouldn't say "Both nostalgia and originality are over rated", but if they sprinkle a few in-jokes here and there for the oldies, they might as well just make us crack a smile, and deep down we'll know it was worth the funding. What? Oh, nothing, I just got something in my eye there a little bit. Maybe I should compensate it with a dirty joke... oh, never mind.

Exactly, we don't need this game to remind us how cool the old ones were; half of us are still playing them :)

I'm in this category too. If I just wanted to fill up my dose of nostalgia, I'd just go and play a retro game.

On this note, I've played The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword recently, and as much as I enjoy the Zelda series in general, I really can't believe this game could have gotten such highly good reviews if it wasn't for the nostalgia factor. The game is really badly designed considering the constant tedious tutorials, the linear experience, the repetitive strategies against enemies, the limited stamina, the cartoony graphics, the emptiness of sky exploration, the recycled content from one dungeon to another, the abysmal minigames, and the forced backtracking. That's just one example, but for me, it's obvious that nostalgia is much more powerful for many people than good design and originality unfortunately.

This is a really good question that brings up some really interesting points. I still get the feeling that most backers have their old favourite adventuregame in front of their eyes when they think about what the DFA game should be like, only with higher resolution and better sound quality.

Since I personally have always been a huge fan of adventuregames and games similar to that genre, I've been playing them non stop for 18 years. I think this is a huge opportunity to really make the whole genre evolve like never before. Since no publishers can come in and tell the developers what they can and can't do there is almost no limit to what can be accomplished designwise. It would be a real shame if this game had to make "sacrifices" because people would complain about something that isn't exactly as the original games. What is considered the main point of an adventuregame should also be the main point of this game. Other then that it's all about making the best possible game.

Nice question.

If you ask me it should be something new, being a point and click adventure, that has a bit of the well designed darkish fun freudian surrealism that Tim Schafer has shown in many different forms in many different games already.

I think one reason why Double Fine has raked in so much money is because everyone *knows* that this is what we'll get while we're pretty sure we'll still be surprised!

Sign in to follow this