Do you cheat at games?  

444 members have voted

1. 1. Do you cheat at games?

• Always - I’ve rarely finished a game without a guide
    • Often - I bookmark the walkthroughs
    • Sometimes - But only when it gets too hard
    • No - The very idea offends me
    • You can cheat at games?

As I'm someone who cheats at games constantly (gamefaqs is my friend), I was just curious how other people play games. I treat a lot of games as interactive stories, so using a walkthrough to get past the tough bits (which everyone else seems to love) is no big deal. How does everyone else play?

I usually try to get through it on my own and try a few different methods/retrace my steps a few times (the number of times depends on my mood, really).

If it's taking way too long or is some sort of arcade/shooter/rhythm test that can be skipped, I admit to taking the easy way out. :)

I've already posted this before, but this is my go-to website for hints if I get completely stuck: http://www.uhs-hints.com/hints/

I like to feel like I've done at least some of the work solving the puzzle. It's much more satisfying to still get that "Aha!" moment after a little hint helps it all click together instead of just following a guide from Gamefaqs.

I admit I'll consult a walkthrough if I get stuck for an extended period of time.

When i was young i used to constantly use walkthroughs to finish point and click games, because they were so hard, and maybe because i has been always more attracted to develop the story that to be good in them. But when i got older i found that completing the games for your own or getting out of a hard puzzle it's by far more rewarding. And like Syd said. Uhs-hints it's a great way to get out of a really hard puzzle without loosing the "Thinking" part of playing point and click or adventure games.

I think most games nowadays are either too easy or too straightforward to require a FAQ. There are some exceptions, of course, such as some RPGs or some things usually related with 100% completion on a game (some of the glyph puzzles on AC 2 and Brotherhood were almost impossible), so then I'd resort to a FAQ.

I will generally attempt to play through a game on the hardest reasonable difficulty setting before touching cheats. Once I've finished it, anything goes, and I'll often try cheats and console commands and so on in order to experiment and find new ways to have fun with the game. In the case of an adventure game I generally play without a walkthrough the first time, no matter how long it takes, and will only really pull one up if I want to quickly progress through a game I've played before and have limited time to play, or if I'm not really enjoying a game enough to spend too much time on it. Back in the day I did resort to walkthroughs for new games occasionally, but each time I did it took a lot of pleasure out of the experience, so I soon learned that I enjoyed myself more if I got stuck, even for days, and eventually found the solution myself.

The backer forum has become a general discussion forum. I think I'm out until something worthwhile happens.

Yes and no.

When I play through a game for the first time, I don't like to use cheat codes / guides / anything. When playing through the game for a second/third/whatever time, I have no problem with using cheat codes or strategy guides. In fact, I enjoy the fact that some games offer "bizarre" cheat codes to add some enjoyment to the game - for example, a game that allows you to cheat and gain a gun that fires tomato mortars.

However, I have a different mindset for adventure games - I don't like to cheat at all unless I'm just absolutely stuck with no hope of moving on. For whatever reason, once I open a strategy guide for that first time, I find that I keep coming back to it every time I get stuck, and the puzzles sort of change into these things that just "get in the way," sort of like Tim mentioned in the 35-minute conversation with Ron.

In some cases, using cheats can enhance the fun in a game (though I still don't like to use them for my first playthrough unless absolutely necessary).

Yes and no.

When I play through a game for the first time, I don't like to use cheat codes / guides / anything. When playing through the game for a second/third/whatever time, I have no problem with using cheat codes or strategy guides. In fact, I enjoy the fact that some games offer "bizarre" cheat codes to add some enjoyment to the game - for example, a game that allows you to cheat and gain a gun that fires tomato mortars.

However, I have a different mindset for adventure games - I don't like to cheat at all unless I'm just absolutely stuck with no hope of moving on. For whatever reason, once I open a strategy guide for that first time, I find that I keep coming back to it every time I get stuck, and the puzzles sort of change into these things that just "get in the way," sort of like Tim mentioned in the 35-minute conversation with Ron.

In some cases, using cheats can enhance the fun in a game (though I still don't like to use them for my first playthrough unless absolutely necessary).

It's pretty much the same case with me.

Once you beat a game it's a different experience playing with cheats a second time. In a funny way it adds some replay value. Though it does depend on the game.

I give puzzles more time before I go searching for hints. I make sure to step away and do something else in case it just hits me randomly. But certain times other genres of games are not so straight forward. In those cases I give it about an hour before I look something up, usually I am just lost and need to be pointed in the right direction.

Unless I don't care too much about the game... then the first time I get stuck. Boom. Walkthrough. I'd like to add this never happens with Double Fine products, they are treasures meant to be cherished.

I tend to use cheats/walkthroughs to actually beat a game as a last resort. I give up on a game more often than I resort to cheats though.

far far too often, and I'm not proud of it. There is not an adventure game I haven't cheated in, sorta except for machinarium, as it had a built in cheat system. I would love to have such a system in the double fine game, or some good hint system

Sure, sometimes. Beats wandering for hours because I'm having trouble seeing some painfully obvious detail that I'm missing (I don't have enough life for that!)

For adventure games, no, as to me it defeats the whole point of playing them in the first place.

For other types of games, sometimes. Mainly if I feel like I've missed some big optional thing and want to find out what it is. The only time I'll outright cheat is if a game involves excessive grinding. That just isn't fun to me.

I remember DOTT came with a booklet which was a walkthrough in the form of a prose story. My brother has never forgiven me since he found out I had been giving him prompts from the walkthrough as we played together.

I prefer hint guides, but I do sometimes read straight up walkthroughs. But I feel guilty when I give up on a puzzle and just read how to solve it. However, when I know what item I need but I can't find it because it's hidden in some microscopic area (Like the homing beacon in Sam & Max 104) I feel absolutely no shame in reading where it is. I want to solve puzzles, not go on scavenger hunts.

As someone who loves adventure games but isn't actually very good at them, yes, I'll cheat when things get too tough.

I hate doing it, but sometimes I get so frustrated with the backlog of games I keep meaning to play but never make time for. So I cheat and whip through them so at least I get the idea of what I've been missing and, y'know, cheat myself out of the experience of actually playing the games. Those first two Blackwell games were just a blur :(

If I can't solve a puzzle within 1-2 hours I consider myself 'defeated' and I look for a walkthrough.

That usually results in me loosing interest in the game but that happens if I'm stuck too.

I'm just not as patient as I was fifteen or so years ago (nor do I think I should be).

It would be cool to have an option in the game where if you are stuck, really stuck, you know forget the rubber i got toomuch glue give me a sodding clue! but it gives you an acievement with minus points and from then on avery character chides you for it..... :)

I don't consider getting help from a walkthrough a cheat, so no, I never cheat.

Edit: To clarify, a cheat to me means bypassing normal game mechanics, such as god mode, skipping part of the game, adding lives, or using tools which help you aim.

I think a good question to ask is "why" people cheat.

I think some people may do it for fun, or because they want to, or because it opens up a whole new game (sort of like game mods or the cheats in GoldenEye for Nintendo 64).

That said, games like God of War 2 and Stacking had an interesting design where the game feels like more of an experience and, at least for me, deminished the desire to use guides, etc. They could be challenging, but not to the point where you just want to get past it, no matter how.

I think Tim and the Double Fine team may understand this. After Stacking, I really look forward to an adventure game that allows for moments of pause and pondering, with enough hints to smooth out the experience. Since, while I think a bit of challenge can be fun, exaggerated "I'm stuck" challenge isn't so fun.

A cool idea I read about in an interview when they were making one of the God of War games was that they felt it was important that people could finish the game, so they could get to see the work of the developers.

Not proud of it, but I get frustrated very easily with all kind of games (not only adventure games) so I always end up jumping to walkthroughs. I guess I like to play just for the story and not so much for the challenge.

I try to play fair as long as the game does the same. I'm not going to waste my time trying to figure out the contrived logic in games like the RunAway series (the first game of which includes "solutions" such as dipping a battery in liquid nitrogen to give it more power, and putting lipstick into a machine gun belt to use it as ammunition), but in games where the solutions actually make sense I generally just think about them until I figure them out. The only exception is that I almost always run straight for a walkthrough the moment I hit a sliding puzzle, because I cannot figure them out for the life of me.

I only look at walk-throughs when I'm frustrated enough to want to quit a game.

I think it's a mark of a good adventure when you look up a solution and you kick yourself at why you didn't solve it yourself.

A bad adventure is when you look up the solution and realise you wouldn't of come up with it in a million years.

I tend to look at walkthroughs if I'm really really stuck, but I don't consider it cheating.

Cheat codes et al. is cheating, walkthroughs is seeking help as a last resort because you really like a game and don't want to never finish it.

I generally try my very very best to do everything myself, though, and I've beaten a lot of games walkthrough-less.

Sign in to follow this