Do you cheat at games?  

444 members have voted

1. 1. Do you cheat at games?

• Always - I’ve rarely finished a game without a guide
    • Often - I bookmark the walkthroughs
    • Sometimes - But only when it gets too hard
    • No - The very idea offends me
    • You can cheat at games?

I'm accused of cheating all the time, but that's just being able to play fighting games without mashing the buttons like a seal :P

Depends, if I feel that a particular puzzle or etc will lead to me putting the game down if I don't finish it after however long I've spent trying to figure it out, then yeah. Because I paid for that content and I want to see the rest of it. For boss fights and such, nowadays there's not really access to cheat 'codes' and such so if I can't finish a fight it usually means I put the game down. For all it's flaws this is one thing Alone in the Dark got completely right, a DVD style 'scene' menu where if you couldn't finish a level, you could skip it and only lose out on things like achievements. You still get to see the content you paid for. Although I must say usually if I'm putting a boss fight down, or can't beat a game it's either insanely hard, or just boring to play (a lot of FPS games get ditched by me this way) if I'm invested in the game I tend to keep trying no matter what and sometimes still lose interest naturally.

For puzzle and adventure games I try not to, because those puzzles are kind of the point. But I'm not going to lie, I do from time to time.

I used to cheat a lot when I was younger, though not at all before I got access to the internet. My first adventure game was Curse of Monkey Island and completing it on hard proved to be really hard for me and my brother (we played it together). We struggled forever trying to fix that boat on Plunder Island for example, before eventually discovering there were hints to be found on the internet. Later I actually played through the classic LucasArts games (MI1, MI2, DotT etc.) with a walkthrough by my side, which I truly and deeply regret. They were still great games to me though :). Nowadays I usually avoid cheats or walkthroughs, unless I'm completely stuck or have been in the same place for hours.

I totally cheat if I can't get through the game on my own - there was one bit in Riven that was driving me crazy for a whole month and I cracked. The habit's stuck ever since.

It's sad that basic button command cheats are becoming less popular on consoles -- what will the children of today memorize? Philosophy?

I use walkthroughs for some RPGs to get as much done as possible simply because I blitz my way through those and don't really have the time to play them over and over to get the most of the story done.

Of course, this mainly applies to older RPGs where there WERE lots of little sidequests to do. Like Fallout 2 or Baldur's Gate II.

I don't cheat unless it either makes the game more entertaining, or I have tried for hours and simply can not beat a certain part. I DO use GameFAQ walthroughs a lot, but again, only when necessarily or if I need info on something not-cheating related (like knowing how many of a certain collectible is in the game, when the game doesn't say so, in order to know how many I've missed).

The only game I ever do a LOT of cheating in is GTA. And even then I don't do it during the main gameplay or on my main save. Just as a side-thing with cheat codes when I'm bored and want a good cop chase or a 10-car-rocket-launcher-pileup. When I first played San Andreas, I did use cheats quite often (mostly spawning the jetpack for easier travel), then I got about half-way through and found out that, since the game records your cheats, it can actually prevent you from completing the story. At that point I started a new game and stomped cheating on my main save.

It can depend on the game also. If it's a really boring game that I just want to get finished and get over with, then I may look things up on walkthroughs more often. While certain games, like the Portal series especially, I will only look at walkthroughs as a very last resort and only when I've been sitting there for well over an hour on the same puzzle.

Most old school adventure games stump me at some point and I have to look up the solutions. I try to tough it out for a while, but some of those games when you get stuck, there's really no getting unstuck without help.

I try not to, but there are times where I get a bit impatient to see the next part of the story.

It depends a lot on the game, of course. I think I managed to solve Day of the Tentacle without any hints, but I needed lots of them to get through Discworld. Don't even get me started on games like Blue Ice or The 11th Hour...

I think as long as the riddles are logical, there is no need for any cheats.

I like to think about these riddles a long time. Even offline (not in front of the PC).

What I do not like is beeing stuck at these, due to irrational combinations or relations, that you can not follow up.

This will result in combining any item in your bag with any other item at any thinkable and usable area in the game.

This will be the point : I will use gamefaqs or walkthroughs to avoid getting mad.

I think I used walkthroughs for the first two Monkey Island games quite often, even though I kinda felt bad. But hey, I was like... 12? ;P

I just played through Curse of Monkey Island recently (had some issues installing it but I always wanted to finish it) and even if I couldn't solve a puzzle I just kept on trying. You feel sooo much better if you came up with the solution yourself, no matter how long you're trying :D

But I still used some guides from time to time. To my defense, I played the harder version (I have no idea what's the original name for that mode. In german it was "Oberaffig" which would mean "Overmonkey-ish" or something in english lol). Inhaling helium and then chewing gum *hand hits forehead*

I never want to use them but I also never finished an adventure game without guides and I feel bad about it :(

Good thing I'll have the Double fine adventure right when it's released so i probably don't even have a chance of using a guide :D

Similar to lots of people I try extremely hard on my own to complete everything. However every now and then if something threatens to ruin my experience with the game I will find a walk through so that I can get past that part. Then I continue to play without cheating :)

Let's see ... *plays Gemini Rue and then Jolly Rover* Yup, I totally cheat. But not as a matter of course, I let myself try to figure it out first but if it doesn't come to me say in the time it takes me to go from room to room and try combinations of items I think are obvious a few times, its off to the Parrot to feed im some crackers or walkthrough for me to read the section I am stuck on. Usually, it turns out to be something I missed when I mousing over the room that I didn't realize I could interact with or an order of operations in what seems like a Rube Goldberg puzzle to me.

So yeah, I end up cheating all the damn time.

You know, it really depends upon what part of the game has grabbed my attention.

If the puzzles are good, I won't ever use a guide. However, ff the puzzles are bad or even just okay, and the story is great, I may use a guide when I get stuck. If the puzzles are bad and the story is bad... well, I'll stop playing.

I used a guide for parts Monkey Island and Ocarina of Time. I did not use one for Zack & Wiki or Skyward Sword, because the puzzles were more intuitive. Phoenix Wright is probably the most variable for me -- I used a guide at the beginning, and then I figured out the internal logic of the game and didn't need one anymore.

Well I replayed monkey island and this time used a walkthrough for the whole game and it ruined it for me, I finished the game too fast and barely payed attention to detail or story, Played MI2 without one even though it is 10 times harder, enjoyed it so much more because i was talking to people and after I figured out a puzzle i was like "YES!!!", more sense of accomplishment.

I will only cheat if things get way too difficult

Well I replayed monkey island and this time used a walkthrough for the whole game and it ruined it for me, I finished the game too fast and barely payed attention to detail or story, Played MI2 without one even though it is 10 times harder, enjoyed it so much more because i was talking to people and after I figured out a puzzle i was like "YES!!!", more sense of accomplishment.

I will only cheat if things get way too difficult

See, that makes sense. I guess my instinct is to talk to everyone anyway, so using a guide for Monkey Island didn't make me feel like I was missing any of the content -- but if you are rushing from point a to b, I could see how you could feel that much is missed.

Let's see ... *plays Gemini Rue and then Jolly Rover* Yup, I totally cheat. But not as a matter of course, I let myself try to figure it out first but if it doesn't come to me say in the time it takes me to go from room to room and try combinations of items I think are obvious a few times, its off to the Parrot to feed im some crackers or walkthrough for me to read the section I am stuck on. Usually, it turns out to be something I missed when I mousing over the room that I didn't realize I could interact with or an order of operations in what seems like a Rube Goldberg puzzle to me.

So yeah, I end up cheating all the damn time.

Oh and Hello man, I remember you from the Ustream chat :D

I cheat at adventure games when I'm stuck on a puzzle. When I was younger I was more tolerant but now I don't have enough time to spend wandering around unsure of what to do, I'd rather keep going and get more of the story before I have to get back to work/etc.

As someone who loves adventure games but isn't actually very good at them, yes, I'll cheat when things get too tough.

agreed

It's sad that basic button command cheats are becoming less popular on consoles -- what will the children of today memorize? Philosophy?

These poor childs, no more IDDQD ;)

By the way, I use walktroughts, if I got stuck in a game. But I dislike using cheatcodes, cheat programms or manipulate the gamefiles (one exception: Evil Genius - to be able to hire more minions).

I will freely admit I will unashamedly use a walkthrough once I get to the point in an adventure game when I am ready to throw a controller, keyboard, mouse, or other object through the nearest available pane of glass. I will also admit that when I buy a major release, if there's a strategy guide that goes along with it, I'll often buy that as well, though I try my best not to resort to it unless I start getting really frustrated with the game.

I try very hard not to cheat at games. Adventure games I generally will NOT cheat, unless I've spent several hours and CANNOT figure out the answer..

A good example of this is Kyrandia 3 ... That game was RIDICULOUS and IMPOSSIBLE without a walkthrough..

Otherwise for other games which aren't adventures, like sim games or whatnot.. I'll always finish the game first, then play around with cheats (like Age of Empires, spawning the car in xD)

Yes. I don't have the time any more to run around trying the same thing over and over for 2 hours. Now if I get stuck for more than half an hour I'll go to a walkthrough. I find it more enjoyable to get on with the game. And chances are the answer is something I tried but didn't do quite right, or thought I'd tried, so I don't even feel like I've missed out on feeling clever in those situations.

And there are some games that I feel are ONLY good when you cheat - The Sims, why would I play that boring game of sending the person to work and making sure they bathroom properly when instead I could be building awesome houses right now? :D

I just remembered one instance where I used cheats, and did so with pride!

I recently played through Full Throttle for the first time ever (don't kill me!) using ScummVM - I used the "instant win" key command to bypass every fight, as well as the demolition derby. I still feel I got my money's worth out of the game, and I still feel I got the full experience of a great adventure game - the fights (and the derby) were simply not fun.

I cheat when a game stops being fun.

In an adventure e.g. when I am stuck and have no idea what to do after looking around for some time or e.g. in Mass Effect 1 driving around all planets searching ore was not entertaining, so I looked up the positions instead of searching them myself.

Back in the day when I was a kid playing on my C64, I did not. I either finished games myself or abandoned them when I got bored of being stuck. Once the internet became useful, I found great joy in finding tips/help for finishing games I never would have finished before.

So now I wouldn't say I exactly cheat. I give it a good honest go for several months in some cases (limited play time makes that sound more patient than it is). But if I stop playing because I am tired of struggling with something, I'll read a FAQ, cheat, etc. To get past it and wrap up the game.

If there's a puzzle in the game that has clues so obscure that I'm left thinking they assumed I would use assorted faq sites, then I will cheat. However if it's something that I can pick up on without getting a head-ache, then I will not.

For adventure games, when I get stuck I always try sleeping on it at least once. The exception being the old-school adventure games, especially the text adventures. Those things were hardcore.

I'm also a content junkie, so if there's something missable (especially story-wise) I'll gladly look up how to get to it.

Of course, I cheated the hell out of Starcraft, so I guess it depends on the type of game.

Personally, my rule of thumb is, if I can't make ANY progress in a game during 2 weeks, then I'll probably never figure it out anyway and I allow myself to look at a walkthrough.

The only other times when I cheat is to either force unlocking stuff that improves gameplay or for practicing an action game. That's it.

A good example of this is Kyrandia 3 ... That game was RIDICULOUS and IMPOSSIBLE without a walkthrough..

You can't say it's impossible because I beat this game without any walkthrough! :cheese:

Besides, what do you mean by "ridiculous"? Care to give an example?

Sign in to follow this