Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
IrregularJohnny

The inevitable money issue (should we be displaying our donations?)

I dislike any type of forum supremacy or veteranism.

Hopefully Double Fine doesn't let this silliness slide if people are putting up how much they backed.

There is the option to not pay attention rather than expect policing of the forum and restricting expression.

Hopefully Double Fine doesn't let this silliness slide if people are putting up how much they backed.

There is the option to not pay attention rather than expect policing of the forum and restricting expression.

Browbeating others by demanding an opinion have more validity because the member paid more is something none of the community want and I'm sure Double Fine does not want it as well. When people got their backer email they were also sent a guide to decency on the forum and the first thing on it was "be nice", bullying others isn't being nice.

Also this forum is privately owned so Double Fine will police it and they will keep it in line with the type of community they want to build.

I'm sorry, tired and predictable joke...and hypocritical coming from a Scotsman (even a rather trim one).

I've just moved to Glasgow, whereabouts are you "fi"?

Edit: as of about six years ago, Scottish children are proportionally (rather than numerically, one hopes) obese more often than American ones.

A fellow Glasgow-dweller! Enjoying the weather for once?

(EDIT: Before anyone says anything: off-topic small talk based on relative location is totally allowed. Yup. It totally is.)

Browbeating others by demanding an opinion have more validity because the member paid more is something none of the community want and I'm sure Double Fine does not want it as well. When people got their backer email they were also sent a guide to decency on the forum and the first thing on it was "be nice", bullying others isn't being nice.

Also this forum is privately owned so Double Fine will police it and they will keep it in line with the type of community they want to build.

Well, I guess we have a very different tolerance level to bullying. Still, surely people don't have to like everything that's being said? Don't get me wrong, I don't like that kind of attitude as well, but to restrict it rather than ignore it is something I don't like considerably more. In any case, I for one, think that anyone in here should be free to say what they want, without fear of banning or whatever it is you do at these places, and anyone can choose to simple not care of what certain people write.

Well, I guess we have a very different tolerance level to bullying. Still, surely people don't have to like everything that's being said? Don't get me wrong, I don't like that kind of attitude as well, but to restrict it rather than ignore it is something I don't like considerably more. In any case, I for one, think that anyone in here should be free to say what they want, without fear of banning or whatever it is you do at these places, and anyone can choose to simple not care of what certain people write.

Different types of forums do it differently, in this case this its one of those forums which actually has rules to follow.

I donated $69.420 (you don't normally see that extra decimal but it is there math has proven) and have all the rights and more to proudly display my contribution. Maybe we should all read the 1st amendment sometime just my six thousand, nine hundred and forty-two point zero cents.

I donated $69.420 (you don't normally see that extra decimal but it is there math has proven) and have all the rights and more to proudly display my contribution. Maybe we should all read the 1st amendment sometime just my six thousand, nine hundred and forty-two point zero cents.

I have more zeros an the end of my donation. That means it's bigger, right? That's how math works, right? $69.42000000 cents. And I say put your contribution away, man -- something might bite it off!

Maybe we should all read the 1st amendment sometime just my six thousand, nine hundred and forty-two point zero cents.

^^^

@ReverendTed You disabled signatures, but have one yourself? H'awesome, mi amigo. I like ze way you operate!

However, now I feel I should add a signature manually to the end of every post I make to bypass the "disable" sigs option! It is, after all, my right (seeing as I pledged more than anyone in the history time has ever even conceived of pledging. *Ever.).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~*~*~*~ And now, a cavalcade of quotes. ~*~*~*~

"Don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop!"

"I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you."

“Lady, I’m afraid I’m going to have to ask you to leave the store.”

"Spoooooon!"

"I'm not supposed to eat Twiglets; they make me violent."

"Slugs! HE created slugs! They can’t hear. They can’t speak. They can’t operate machinery. Are we not in the hands of a lunatic?"

*"Lies! Subterfuge! Seething corruption!"-- okay, I'll stop now. :x

Put it up. Why not? They paid more money give them another perk. Not like it means anything.

well, I have noticed a couple of people with their amount in the signature, but so far no one has acted rude or self-important because of it. I personally did not donate a whole lot (i'm kinda poor right now) but for those people who did donate large amounts I don't see why they can't be proud of it, just as long as they don't try to make everyone else feel like their opinions don't matter.

I had a sudden urge to make an avatar that said "My [AMOUNT HERE] donation makes me better than you." With the actual words [AMOUNT HERE].

Maybe we should all read the 1st amendment sometime just my six thousand, nine hundred and forty-two point zero cents.

^^^

Forums are a privately owned entity and this is an international forum, you do not have any right to anything here.

^^^

Forums are a privately owned entity and this is an international forum, you do not have any right to anything here.

Relax, man, this is an internet forum, not a political rally.

^^^

I am already relaxed, I'm just voicing my opinion. I didn't think I came off as angry doing it.

The only reason for doing so would be to "show off", which is more than a little off-putting.

Given the ubiquitous presence of at least a couple of fervently sycophantic fanboys/fangirls, I'm sure some of them might do it simply because they want people to know they love Double Fine and want to have their babies.

Great idea! How about we also write our academic degrees and perhaps "pledge/montly income" to see whom DF should listen to! (or perhaps we could give DF some credit and expect them to have some artistic integrity... rendering this discussion irrelevant)

"The 1st amendment"

Judging from polling, most of this forum will never be able to invoke that ;) Weirdly enough, I know what that means though, and I know what the second and fifth ones are too.

But still, I think this is a terrible idea.

Again, for people who are missing my point: I'm not saying DF might listen more to people who have pledged more. I'm saying people could use it as a club for the heads of people who made lesser donations during discussions and create arguments/friction. I do not for a second think these people will get a bigger say in the end product. Seriously where did I say that?

It's funny to me how I started this with concern over the atmosphere of the forums and how people will get on and people have had arguments in it...funny and sad.

^^^

I think this is the old, "keep der American stuffs off my internationals". I felt it too, but thankfully suppressed it. Reminds me of that poor English lad who's being extradited to the US for breaking a US law while living in the UK, having never even been to the US.

^^^

Don't get angry Wally. Universal declaration of human rights supercedes any private entities rules.

Again, for people who are missing my point: I'm not saying DF might listen more to people who have pledged more. I'm saying people could use it as a club for the heads of people who made lesser donations during discussions and create arguments/friction. I do not for a second think these people will get a bigger say in the end product. Seriously where did I say that?

It's funny to me how I started this with concern over the atmosphere of the forums and how people will get on and people have had arguments in it...funny and sad.

^^^

I think this is the old, "keep der American stuffs off my internationals". I felt it too, but thankfully suppressed it. Reminds me of that poor English lad who's being extradited to the US for breaking a US law while living in the UK, having never even been to the US.

If they use their pledge to troll or write offensive things (or whatever) just report the posts and the mods/admins can have a look at it. If it indeed is used as an argument that someone is right etc etc then I have a hard time seeing many people backing that position/argument and thus they will just embarrass themselves. Sorry but I do not really see the problem here. The one thing is if they are totally devoid of rational thinking they might get mad etc etc when DF doesn't make a custom made game for this individual and this crazy person writes a lot of negative things on different forums (but still I have a hard time seeing anyone paying them much attention).

I'm saying people could use it as a club for the heads of people who made lesser donations during discussions and create arguments/friction.

I strongly disagree - I don't think anyone would do that, and I pledged more than you so not only am I right, but my opinion is also final. :)

If they use their pledge to troll or write offensive things (or whatever) just report the posts and the mods/admins can have a look at it. ...

Ack!

Please do not draw the Mods attentions to Sigs!

Sign in to follow this