1. 1. What is your native language?

• English
    • French
    • Italian
    • German
    • Spanish
    • other

Dutch.

I would like dutch subtitles for my children, but definitely no Dutch voice acting or replacements of the original text (that never works).

Swedish, but like my fellow countrymen here, I'd rather play it in English. Too much gets lost in translations.

Swedish, and like so many other swedes I prefer to watch/play/etc things in their original language.. Translations have a tendency to lose small bits of information every so often, not to mention how humour can be really hard to preserve between languages.. The only time I watch shows with subtitles are if they are being broadcasted on a network, for dvds and the like I turn them off..

^this, only that I speak German. I hope I can get an English version despite being in the EFIGS group.

Finnish here, though prefer English as a game language. Finnish translations usually are not that good, although the only games that are translated into Finnish are usually children's games.

My first language was Russian, but since I moved to Canada when I was a kid I've learnt more English than Russian that English became my "main" language. But not native.

I selected "other".

Side note about poll:

It's spelt "French" not "France".

Internet native: English

Game native: what ever the original language is/ strongly dislike localazations.

Movies/ TV Shows: what ever the original language is/ strongly dislike voice dubbing.

Dutch, no its not german!

Of course it's not, actually it's more fun, especially when reading out loud the incredients listed on snacks.

I am the other Greek... If we become 5 can we get greek voice acting? Please?

No, but you can form a baskeball team to play the game.

hehe, apo pou eisai file?

No Greeklish, mate!

Swiss German here. (I have chocolate, a lot of chocolate!)

What about a cheese watch, melting in a fondue whilst skiing in a bank? ... Just to round up the cliches :P

Since I'm swiss too I'll handle the cheese. ^^

... oh ... and if there is a strange swiss in the game, please let us synchronise him, otherwise they always sound incredibly stupid ;-)

Edit: I too prefer the original language for games and movies ... if I know the language of course

My native language is german, but I prefer playing games in english. Most translations just aren't very good and especially humor is extremely hard to translate well.

Norwegian here, and as my Swedish brødre said, we prefer English in most cases.
Basically we all Scandinavians have English as "second" language

Finnish speaking here. But I play all my games in english (tough some jrpgs with orginal voice actors). I tried play Heavenly Sword with finnish dubbing and it was awful. Also finnish subbed games are somewhat weird, like Uncharted 2. Texts says other and action on the screen does other. But I think thats cause translators just get some excel files with all the dialogue there but no context.

It is weird. I read and write like 80% of the day in english and only speak Swedish more during the day. I sometimes forget Swedish words while talking and have an easier time grasping for the english word Im after. Pathetic.

Brazilian portuguese here and surprised to see 'other' as the top vote in the poll so far. Perhaps expanding the options further is in order? I'd love to see how exactly it breaks down.

It is weird. I read and write like 80% of the day in english and only speak Swedish more during the day. I sometimes forget Swedish words while talking and have an easier time grasping for the english word Im after. Pathetic.

Kinda the same with me, and living abroad doesn't help.

Well, I can say that native's Russian, but lately... I'm even thinking in English, so yeah.

Здравствуйте! Меня зовут Джереми. A у вас?

Canadian English (slight differences I find now that I'm living in USA). I never bothered to learn French but I did take a couple Japanese courses in high school and university, though sadly most of the knowledge has slipped away.

I'm not even surprised to see that an equal number of people speak English as they do "other" languages that aren't options in the poll. Happy to see that adventure gaming is ubiquitous across the world :)

Another Spanish here :)

But I will probably play it in English, the Spanish voice actors for videogames aren't that good...

Sign in to follow this