Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rikard Peterson

Request for forum features

This forum software is pretty nice for something home made, but there are a few features I miss from the likes of phpBB. Particularly in the busy backers forum. So it'd be nice if the forum could get a bit of love from a programmer, too.

The thing I miss most is the forum remembering which posts I have read. I'd like to be able to click on a topic icon and be automatically taken to the first unread post in that thread. That makes busy threads much easier to follow.

Also having a special icon for threads I have posted in is a nice feature. It's a handy reminder.

Hey, Rikard. These forums are actually backed by Expression Engine, not a homebrew implementation. Right now we're running on EE 1.x. We will eventually upgrade to the 2.x series, which has more of the features you're requesting, but it probably won't be super soon. Right now we're just trying to make sure that all of our 80k backers are able to get into the forums and that our server doesn't melt as we start uploading content. Once we feel like we're at a stable place, we'll look at upgrading our forum software.

A setting for number of posts per page would also be nice. I have a scroll wheel and I prefer using that to all the pagination that comes with only 15 posts per page.

Is it possible to get rid of that automatic emailing of notifications whenever I post in a thread? I don't always remember to untick the "email" stuff, in each post I make, so a global setting or something for this would be very welcome.

Is it possible to get rid of that automatic emailing of notifications whenever I post in a thread? I don't always remember to untick the "email" stuff, in each post I make, so a global setting or something for this would be very welcome.
You should be able to to change it in your control panel. Check under email settings.

Here's a request:

When reading a thread ... at the top of the page there is series of breadcrumb links - so I can just click one to jump back to that topic. I have seem some forum places that ALSO have that same breadcrumb links at the bottom of the page. I would like to see that here, too. Makes it easy to jump back out to the topic after reading a thread, w/o having to scroll all the way back up to the top of the page. (And NO, "back" doesn't work if I've been reading several pages of posts)

You should be able to to change it in your control panel. Check under email settings.

Thank you. It was indeed there.

I won't be going on about this (this is my final post on the matter) but I wish to point out that the current forum is difficult and time-consuming to follow. (Compared to for example the forum at Adventure Gamers.) As a result, I imagine that very few people can keep up with what's going on in the forum. Just see the number of duplicate polls and threads that's turning up. I believe that's because people can't keep up, so they don't bother to check if a poll has already been posted or a question been asked. Instead they start a new thread on the same subject, making any discussion even harder to follow.

I understand completely that your first priorities must be to ensure that the server don't break down, but I hope you have realised that the current forum software simply isn't up to the task of running an active forum of this size. Browsing through a 10 pages long thread trying to find where the unread posts are is no fun. It would be no great loss to the forum if I decided that I simply don't have time for this, but I don't think I'm alone.

Who knows, hopefully a better interface could lead to less re-statements of things that's already been said, which might in turn help make this a friendlier place.

I won't be going on about this (this is my final post on the matter) but I wish to point out that the current forum is difficult and time-consuming to follow. (Compared to for example the forum at Adventure Gamers.) As a result, I imagine that very few people can keep up with what's going on in the forum. Just see the number of duplicate polls and threads that's turning up. I believe that's because people can't keep up, so they don't bother to check if a poll has already been posted or a question been asked. Instead they start a new thread on the same subject, making any discussion even harder to follow.

I understand completely that your first priorities must be to ensure that the server don't break down, but I hope you have realised that the current forum software simply isn't up to the task of running an active forum of this size. Browsing through a 10 pages long thread trying to find where the unread posts are is no fun. It would be no great loss to the forum if I decided that I simply don't have time for this, but I don't think I'm alone.

Who knows, hopefully a better interface could lead to less re-statements of things that's already been said, which might in turn help make this a friendlier place.

This (the bold part).

The good forums have a button/link that appears on each thread, taking you to the first unread post within that thread. (When everything is read, the button hides until a new post is added). This feature is a MUST for this forum ... please!

I would just like to +1 the need for this update.

It is the only reason I don't come here more often I'm afraid.

Hey Guys!

Expression engine isn't the most commonly used forum system, so I want to make sure you guys know about this function:

Yx83N.png

By clicking on the Forum Home (Big ol' Chalkboard DFAF logo at the top or the Forums link near the same locale) you'll be brought to the screen above, where you can click the View New Posts button. It'll organize all the threads that have had activity since your last visit/haven't read into a list, and show a short preview of all the posts made in the thread.

By clicking on the Forum Home (Big ol' Chalkboard DFAF logo ...

Oh, you mean this Big ol' Chalkboard...

Bigolchalkboard2.jpg

...the one with the bug I've reported before? :long: (Edit3: Ok, I never made an image of it until now, because I wasn't as upset until now)

Meanwhile, I'm almost afraid to try what you suggest... I haven't read even a small fraction of the threads, so if I click that button, it is going to show me 99.99% of the entire forum site here :bug: while conveniently marking it all as "no-longer-new" for the next time. Then, tomorrow when I would try clicking it again, it is still going to include numerous threads that I have no interest in... :long:

P.S. Is this 'smiley' :bug: really supposed to be represented by the word "bug" ??? -- sounds like, well, a bug to me... :) Edit2: Ok, I get it ... bug-eyed ... but the tooltip that pops up calls it 'big surprise', so I was expecting 'big', not 'bug'

(Oh, and I cannot click the smileys in the upper-left corner, thanks to a logo overlapping the two in the corner)

EDIT: Wait - is every single smiley going to start a new line? LAME!!!!

By clicking on the Forum Home (Big ol' Chalkboard DFAF logo ...

Oh, you mean this Big ol' Chalkboard...

Bigolchalkboard2.jpg

...the one with the bug I've reported before? :long:

Meanwhile, I'm almost afraid to try what you suggest... I haven't read even a small fraction of the threads, so if I click that button, it is going to show me 99.99% of the entire forum site here :bug: while conveniently marking it all as "no-longer-new" for the next time. Then, tomorrow when I would try clicking it again, it is still going to include numerous threads that I have no interest in... :long:

P.S. Is this 'smiley' :bug: really supposed to be represented by the word "bug" ??? -- sounds like, well, a bug to me... :) Edit2: Ok, I get it ... bug-eyed ... but the tooltip that pops up calls it 'big surprise', so I was expecting 'big', not 'bug'

(Oh, and I cannot click the smileys in the upper-left corner, thanks to a logo overlapping the two in the corner)

Damn you IE! Always messing up the things I love.

Since it's cutoff for you here's a link that leads to the page that you can access easier while I work on it; http://www.doublefine.com/forums/new_topic_search/

It will include the threads you aren't interested in, but for every thread it does show it also has a link the posts you haven't seen so you can easily jump to the previous reading point you were at. After you've perused the ones you enjoy, you can then click the "Mark all as Read" http://www.doublefine.com/forums/mark_all_read/ (included since that would be cut off as well.)

Apologies for this not being fixed already, I missed your original thread in the swarm of new users.

Yeah, since we're requesting bug fixes can you fix that? And remove the DF logo from the window where you pick smileys.

I didn't know about the view new posts feature, thanks Justin.

Yeah, since we're requesting bug fixes can you fix that? And remove the DF logo from the window where you pick smileys.

That's also on the list, I just had to cut that post early because Sister showed up at work for lunch =D

The thing I miss most is the forum remembering which posts I have read. I'd like to be able to click on a topic icon and be automatically taken to the first unread post in that thread. That makes busy threads much easier to follow.

Same here.

Does the forum support Tapatalk? I'd love to have me some DFA on the go.

I'd love this as well, but unfortunately I don't think Tapatalk supports Expression Engine yet, so I doubt we'll see Tapatalk support here anytime soon.

Same here.

I've been looking into this, and unfortunately it appears that Expression Engine doesn't track down to that level of detail according to the official forums.

Does the forum support Tapatalk? I'd love to have me some DFA on the go.

I'd love this as well, but unfortunately I don't think Tapatalk supports Expression Engine yet, so I doubt we'll see Tapatalk support here anytime soon.

Just looked into their website, no EE support at this time =/

Same here.

I've been looking into this, and unfortunately it appears that Expression Engine doesn't track down to that level of detail according to the official forums.

Then I think it is time to get rid of Expression Engine and replace it with something else. Yes, even if it costs more money. Since the use of the forums was a major part of the Kickstarter reward (and moreso with the addition of late-buyins via PayPal), you should go ahead and spend some of that money on better forum software.

Same here.

Then I think it is time to get rid of Expression Engine and replace it with something else. Yes, even if it costs more money. Since the use of the forums was a major part of the Kickstarter reward (and moreso with the addition of late-buyins via PayPal), you should go ahead and spend some of that money on better forum software.

Unfortunately our entire site, not just the forums, runs on Expression Engine, so switching software would be a massive undertaking. It's something to consider for the long term, but probably not likely to happen super soon.

It would be nice if smileys didn't forcably go to a new line, so we could use them in sentences like punctuation without messing with formatting. Also, the ability to change our forum names would be cool (I'd really like to change mine to "edit", which is a handle I use a lot more nowadays. It was years ago that I registered here as "edweird").

I don't know what you are talking about, Hot. My endlessly changing titles never got old.

Wait, is our magically, -secret- method of changing names no longer available?

It would be nice if smileys didn't forcably go to a new line, so we could use them in sentences like punctuation without messing with formatting. Also, the ability to change our forum names would be cool (I'd really like to change mine to "edit", which is a handle I use a lot more nowadays. It was years ago that I registered here as "edweird").

Changed. You still login as "edweird," but your displayed name is changed.

Sign in to follow this