Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
xvishon

Open The Source

Do you think the new engine should be made available?  

504 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the new engine should be made available?

• Yes!
    • No.
    • Maybe?
    • It could be neat.

They're going to be using existing tech, be it licensed or their own and in either case releasing it open source would go against DF's interests.

I know you want someone to make you a portable adventure game engine, but that's not the project that was pitched and I don't think coding a new engine just for this project makes a lot of sense. Sorry, I vote no.

Sure it's interesting, but releasing it for free is giving away what you put work into. In the end they're a company, and have to make ends meet.

Yes!

So why on earth is it bad for commercial projects? Just don't include game asets. A lot of comercial games opened their source and still being sold.

It will help people study game development, it will give community ability to improve and port game engine to other platforms. People would still need to buy game to play it (game asets). This will definetly help when you will wan't to play it on Windows 18 and omg game won't work as it did on W7.

I see absolutely no reason how this could harm anyone.

EDIT: Again. Want an android/ios port? Community will do it for free, just open the source.

The first question is, will they be creating their own engine? If that is the case, I would really like it if they would release it for the public. There are different kind of point and click engines available, but most of them have certain shortcomings if you want to create a modern game. Also none of these have the same kind of platform support the engine for DFA will be having.

Then we will come to the question should it be free or not. In my eyes it would be best if they also gave beginning developers a change. So i'm think of a free to use but you have to pay when you publish your game construction. For example if the user pays a 100 bucks(just a random estimate) he may use it commercially. This could lead to an extra income, then again this would mean basic maintances and could cost them money. It would depand how many people would want this engine.

The last point is the opensource question. I think for a game engine it is pretty important to be opensource. No game engine will be able to fulfill every developers needs. When it is opensource you will have a community that will find solutions for certain problems and shortcomings. And maybe even port it to extra platforms(windows phone as an example).

So if they are willing to make their engine public(if possible at all), then in my opinion opensource would be needed.

Sure it's interesting, but releasing it for free is giving away what you put work into. In the end they're a company, and have to make ends meet.

No, because you already payed them! What do you think the money was for? They will also release it DRM free, which does not make it legal to share it with the world, but it shows that doublefine's priority is not to stop piracy because they are already funded through us backers.

Since they have already our money, I think it makes perfect sense for them to give us the complete game, i.e. with the source. Of course this might not be possible, e.g. when using tools and content from other companies, but double fine should at least try to make the source as open as possible.

People are always under the impression that open source means that there is no money to be made but this is simply not true. Many commercial companies develop open source software with the goal to raise money, just look at Google e.g.

In the case of double fine as I have already noted they are already financed so it shouldn't be a problem to be as open as possible. I also have the feeling that thread starter talks more about making development or mod tools available than open source, but with open source all this would be possible and double fine doesn't have to do anything, the community will take care of it.

Double Fine can also still make additional money (even if the complete game is open) by selling retail version or having a pay what you want model like the humble bundle games.

If only parts are open source, then this is a no brainer anyways, since for the full game non-backers would need to pay anyways that way or another.

Hey, folks. Nathan here. For those of you who don't know me, I'm the Technical Director here at DF.

The topic of open sourcing DFA is a really interesting one, but it's also not a simple one, at least not for us. I can definitely say that we agree that giving back to the community of adventure gamers/creators is very much in the spirit of Kickstarter and that we'd love to do something in that spirit, but I can't honestly say exactly what that will look like. At least not yet :)

One very important factor in if and how we can give back, is what tech we choose for the engine of DFA. We're looking at a few possibilities, everything from our own internal tech (that we've spent many man-decades of time creating since Psychonauts) to some 3rd party frameworks, some of which are open source. There are a lot of tradeoffs, especially around content pipelines, DF's studio tech strategy (remember that we are making other games, not just DFA), and of course the needs of DFA itself. It's a conversation that we're really only beginning to have, but we'll definitely share more with you both here and through the documentary as we work out the tech plan for DFA and then think about how it relates to this idea of giving back.

Anyway, more info on that as we have it. As always, thanks for the ideas, enthusiasm, passion, and encouragement. It's going to be a very exciting adventure indeed :)

It's great to read that at least releasing the engine as free software its under consideration.

I know its a complex decision, and there is plenty to consider before taking that step, but I would love to see the engine released as free software, it would be really great :)

I'd much rather see level design tools that could be used to make games that run on the DFA engine. I think the community here is pretty strong, and such a feature might bring a longer lifespan to the game. Generally, you won't have the same licensing issues, and the barrier to entry for content creators is much lower.

Even if the functionality we get is just open documentation for the game's data files, there's still going to be a lot we can leverage.

I don't see how it's a good idea to release a new Adventure-engine you only used once in a project for public. IMO it's expecting a lot more than we payed for: Around 85% backed the game with 15 or 30 bucks. Usually when only buying a new game, it costs you more. We however get a lot more for it: we get a game, a documentary, a fun time at the board, we get the beta... and df will consider some of our feedback to the bet - that's already a lot more than you could expect for that amount of money. People who spent more money get more in return (but that's a minority!). Maybe in a few years, when the engine is out of competition and DF has something extraordinarily better... but not now. I prefer to have 1,2 more df adventures using this engine.

People backed the project before knowing how the game is going to be, before reading reviews, before playing demos... even if 15 bucks is a good price, it's not the same that when you buy a game in the usual way. I'm not saying that DF owes us a free engine, not at all. They never said they were going to release it.

But I think that this its a great oportunity to explore new ways of game development, something different. DF doesn't have to bargain with a publisher, they are free to do whatever they want. Now its time to consider if releasing the engine woulb be something good for DF, would it help? Well, I think so.

If a free engine is born out of this, and people start using it, will it make DF sell less games? If other adventures are made with this engine, will that prevent DF of selling their own? I don't know, but I don't think that would happen. And, there are positives? Will people implement new features? Will the code be maintain? Ported to other systems? I think that could happen, and DF would benefice of it.

I don't think that releasing the engine would prevent DF from doing a few more adventures with it. I think it would be a good thing, for DF and adventure fans.

People backed the project before knowing how the game is going to be, before reading reviews, before playing demos... even if 15 bucks is a good price, it's not the same that when you buy a game in the usual way.

Most people here backed the project because of the huge trust in Schafer/Gilbert and/or DoubleFine and honestly I don't think most of us experience a high risk. Of course there's always the chance that you don't like a game, but that can also happen despite excellent reviews Also we should note that new games usually cost 40-50 Dollar. So yeah, 15 bucks isn't the same, but it's ~1/3 of what you'd usually pay for it. And even for 30 bucks it's a good deal. Also considering that we get a video series. We'll have to wait for it yes, but we'll stay entertained the whole way. I don't say I wouldn't wanna check out this engine - of course I want to ;) - but it's really a lot to ask for.

I see some people here not really understand what open source is.

Opening the source != Giving the game for free.

Opening the source != Giving the flexible universal tool for making similar games.

The best benefits are:

educational(people can see how professionals do it)

and ability for community to improve/port the engine.

Good example: opening wolfenstine 3d source code by ID Software.

When John Carmack had to write a game port of wolf3d for iphone, he used improved and cleaned engine based on the original they released to public many years ago.

http://www.idsoftware.com/iphone-games/wolfenstein-3d-classic-platinum/wolfdevelopment.htm

But as DF Nathan said it might not be possible if DF will use already existing proprietary engine.

If they use open source engine - well it's already open, not much to debate about.

Sharing is good (=

why do people keep thinking that they have to give the engine away for free they could also only include it if you buy a copy of the game.

also theres another way of going about just as an example of another game that dosent have an open source engine but the game is modeable because of lua being integrated in the engine. natural selection 2 as one example.

i think that may be a safer way for them to make it accessible using lua or python or any other ready available gpl code as an intermediate code instead of fully opening the engine.

hope fully it will be something along those lines as having a modable game would be really nice

Sign in to follow this