Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

DFA Game Club: DOTT

Regarding using the textbook on the horse to get the dentures, it's illogical but sometimes logic isn't even a factor. I mean, one of the features of most LucasArts adventures was the rewarding of random behavior. You can use the textbook on every single character in the game and you get a different take on how boring it is from all of them. It's the same for a lot of things in DOTT and other LucasArts adventures, and I suppose it was a reaction against how games from other companies (I'm looking at you, Sierra) punished the player for experimenting.

So, when I played DOTT for the first time, I just went around using the textbook on everyone just to hear the reactions. Sometimes the random approach is an outcome of frustration, but here randomness is expected and given a kind of purpose. It's much the same with the scalpel, as well. If you haven't ever had Bernard use it on the cigar guy just because you can, then you really aren't getting into the spirit of the thing (and missing out on one hell of a funny sequence).

Well short. Aren´t all older adventure games from LucasArts short? MI 3 and GF are longer. But I can play GF in 4 hours!

When you make all things and don´t speak to persons but don´t delete a sentence you play it in 2 hours or nearly 3 hours.

The same thing with Sam and Max Hit the Road and you (I) need 1 hour.

Well short. Aren´t all older adventure games from LucasArts short? MI 3 and GF are longer. But I can play GF in 4 hours!

When you make all things and don´t speak to persons but don´t delete a sentence you play it in 2 hours or nearly 3 hours.

The same thing with Sam and Max Hit the Road and you (I) need 1 hour.

We're not talking about how long it usually takes if you play it with the help of a walkthrough or when replaying the game after already having completed it. The point is that usually the LucasArts puzzle designs usually have some tricky challenges that keep you thinking which is why take a lot longer than this (however in most newer Adventure games the past 5-10 years however, there are only a few to zero such challenges, which IMO is also why often playing the game with walkthrough takes a similar amount of time than playing it without so although many newer games come with more story and more locations, you can often complete them faster).

I feel like I missed out, not having a PC in the house until 1996 and my dad not wanting games on his machine, I missed a lot of these classics! I'm trying to find a copy so I can play as well.

*takes DOTT cd from the vault of priceless games and put it into the pc*

YOU SHALL NOT PAUSE (the game until it's finished)!!!

:D

I feel like I missed out, not having a PC in the house until 1996 and my dad not wanting games on his machine, I missed a lot of these classics! I'm trying to find a copy so I can play as well.

haa...... find an original copy..... maybe, sometimes, feel like jack sparrow will make great achievements..

:P

@Mikej

Ah, I think I got your point.

It took really long for me to end the game. It was months or years? I asked on the schoolyard for it!

But then again the games today are longer.

But then again the games today are longer.

But i would always take DOTT, instead of nowadays walk-a-long stories like MW1/2/3 or a Gears of War3. And it's not that bad having an intense few hours on DOTT, than a long stretched dull game....

Of course, DOTT could have been a -little- longer, or perhaps some multiple paths (not multiple characters i tihnk, because that would endanger it's current story)... but having achieved this great game, back in 1993... is simply amazing.

Final thing to mention: DOTT's art style, it has inspired so many point and click designers. Amature adventure game creators have always been putting "DOTT-style graphics" on their wishlist.

Best regards,

Ronald

I was thinking about jumping on again this Sunday to finish DOTT off. Anyone want to join me? Was planning on Saturday at 12:00 Pacific Time again.

I was thinking about jumping on again this Sunday to finish DOTT off. Anyone want to join me? Was planning on Saturday at 12:00 Pacific Time again.

That would probably be a good opportunity for those who missed out last time to join in. I've already finished it myself, but I supposed I could breeze through it again for the occasion.

I missed it last time but played it by myself for the 1st time and LOVED it. i think I can pull myself away from Xenoblade long enough to play a bit more DotT. Maybe Full Throttle after?

I missed it last time due to moving, but I totally will try and get into this! It all depends of if we have internet set up at the new place though. ((currently leeching off aunt's internet haha))

Ehh... Saturday or Sunday? I'm guessing Saturday but you do mention Sunday there.

Ohh goodie! I missed the first session. Sunday 12:00 PST, that will be 9:00 pm here in Germany. I've got DOTT (Talkie), I've got beer, lets roll ;)

Last week i went wayyyyyyyyy back to the mansion in Maniac Mansion (the first). And that was -very- inspiring. And it's actually pretty good also! The only thing that aged a bit is that you have to walk a lot (only to bring that one item to the right person), and there are a few ways to get stuck. Other than that: it's a timeless gem!

Anyway, back to DotT (you can play Maniac Mansion from Ed's comp in DotT, right?)... i was looking to get an original (and legal) copy of this one, because i lost my talkie DotT cd (with custom made cd cover, by cutting a copy of PC Format magazine). This loss still hurts me!! I've been looking around on official LucasArts sites, Amazon, etc. but nowhere to get those kinda games anymore :( If there's anyone out there who knows where to get it LET ME KNOW. Tim, help!! Luckily i still have all the other LucasArts adventures on original cd's (some kind of adventure collection).

Of course there are other ways to get DotT (i bought the original twice, disk version and talkie version, so i "backed" the original team more than enough). Or else i'll just watch a playthrough on youtube... the horror...

Have fun playing! The mansion is awesome!

My opinion on the whole thing is there is no way to get a legit copy of the game the company or the original developers get their money from your purchase... if its out of print then go nutts. I think this is why places which stick to hosting ROMs of old games like this (and not touch anything in the current era) get away with it... because there is no way to give the team their money anymore.

If you did buy this from Ebay (which is about the only way to get it) you are generally paying way more than the original was worth (someone said 30$? no way!) and its because they are "collector's" items. IE you are paying to have a physical original copy like baseball cards or coins... not because of wanting the game itself.

Basically, if you can still by the game new from a distributor or the company themselves by no means should you pirate or steal the game, because you are actually taking away money from the people who made the game. When it goes out of print... go nutts! (although steam has been known to put games out there which are out of print that you can buy (commander keen for example), I dont know in that case if the original company gets any royalties or if you are just paying the price to download the content (the complete series was like 2$). I remember watching an episode of extra credits (look it up some time great series) in which James (who is a game designer) basically says what I just said here... because at that point the developers are just happy that you are still enjoying their game after all these years.

@ChickensEvil well... basically i follow a short checklist when there's an older game i want to play again, but i don't have it (anymore):

- Check local stores

- Check the internet

- Check the publisher site

- Check the orignal developers

- Ask on a forum or two

If none of these help then i think there's nothing else to do but to download it anywhere i can find. It's only for a replay purpose, and after i played it i don't mean to keep it. If some day the original developer/publisher decides to re-publish the game, i'll get that version anyway (like the Special Editions of Monkey Island, although i'm glad i kept orignal Monkey Island cd-rom version).

I don't like to buy the games second-hand, as it will only fill someone else's wallet, and not the original developer. And i like a fresh and unscratched medium :D

Best piece of advice: don't borrow your original games to others, like i did with my DoTT talky cd-rom :( well ok, unless they're close family :P

Thanks for your post/thoughts on this! I feel a little less guilty now.

Cheers,

Ronald

@RonneyD Yeah, thats why I mentioned steam selling Commander Keen again (its an old action DOS game series). I have also bought the first two fallout games when they re-released those. I am all for giving money back to the game developers and am pretty against piracy, I just think things like old games that you cant even play on their original mediums anymore anyway (unless you go buy the hardware... good luck with SCUMM games) shouldn't feel bad about getting it from the bowls of the internet :) Again, I think the makers are just happy their games still have influence. They just cant publically suggest you go and steal games because then they can get into trouble...

I'm guessing this is Saturday, 12:00 PDT -- seems like Sunday is a typo.

Awesome!

Missed the first playthrough as I had other commitments that I couldn't escape. Been playing a bit on my own though, so I'm hoping to join in on Saturday. Must say that DOTT has aged really well, a bit like a fine wine perhaps. ;-)

Guess this didn't happen today? Or is it tomorrow? Or is DF hiding because of the crazy pre-order argument?

Guess this didn't happen today? Or is it tomorrow? Or is DF hiding because of the crazy pre-order argument?

Dirty hobbits, nasty hobbits. Gone and left us.

DFA Game Club was the only thing that kept me from descending into a life of hysterical drug abuse and embittered vandalism. Now it appears to be gone, SOCIETY MUST PAY!

Okay, I finished the game and I can finally add my two cents.

DOTT is up there with the best in my opinion:

- The graphics are lovely (the distorted proportions and perspectives are genious)

- Voiceovers are spot on, the characters (despite being stereotypical) sound convincing and realistic which makes their absurd jokes even more fun. I especially like that the acting wasn't "cartoony", e.g. with emotions being exaggerated. It was the voices of normallly absurd people in their normally surreal life.

- The SCUMM interface was at its best, I would take the menu with actions over a multi-purpose mouse pointer any day. Also the inventory being always on screen is a plus. Any action that takes more than two clicks is too much.

- The game is not afraid to leave the player to his own devices. I hate games that hold you by the hand and repeatedly push your face into the solution to a puzzle. There must be hints, but they must be subtle.

What I found could be improved:

- Sometimes items were placed in "hidden areas", like the keys behind the door of the room where the fat guy is sleeping. I remember the first time I played it, back in the nineties, I spent hours trying to get the crowbar from the thief... just because I didn't think about closing the door, which was a totally unnecessary action anyway (the door was already opened and there was no reason to close it). It should be difficult to obtain an item, but it shouldn't be difficult to simply see it.

- Walk speed is a bit slow, plus you can't skip it (I remember in subsequent games you could exit a room immediately by double-clicking on the door, without having to wait for the character to reach said exit).

- For some puzzles there are no clues at all (the already mentioned book that had to be read to the horse in order to get the dentures).

- The ending could have been fleshed out a little more, but I understand that may have to do with the budget.

Overall, a beautiful masterpiece, which is hasn't lost its shine after all these years. :)

I personally don't mind hidden objects, if they are cleverly hidden. Of course i don't mean pixel hunting... but hidden like you could do in real life too. You always get a "AH-HA!" feeling when finding one. Of course, only one or two objects like that per game...

I find walking through the house a pleasure too btw. While walking you're forced to pay attention to the details, and think about how to solve that one puzzle. And the walking animations of the characters in DOTT bring a smile every time again. Perhaps some sort of minimap where you can click on, to quickly get to a room might have been an idea??

Totally agree with you on the rest.. that inventory thing, absolutely! I really missed that @ Monkey Island SE. It's great to see those funny items directly on screen. Nowadays adventures suffer quite a bit from bad user interfaces (although i appreciate they're trying).

Cheers!

What I found could be improved:

- Sometimes items were placed in "hidden areas", like the keys behind the door of the room where the fat guy is sleeping. I remember the first time I played it, back in the nineties, I spent hours trying to get the crowbar from the thief... just because I didn't think about closing the door, which was a totally unnecessary action anyway (the door was already opened and there was no reason to close it). It should be difficult to obtain an item, but it shouldn't be difficult to simply see it.

Yeah, that bugged the hell out of me in my playthrough (I confess I eventually had to resort to a walkthrough).

I think it's particularly irritating because literally every other door you walk through doesn't really have anything of interest hidden behind it, so odds are players aren't going to be in the habit of closing the door every time they enter the room. Even if you did think to try it, odds are you'd stop being so pedantic fairly early on when it clearly didn't get you anywhere. "Ah, they must carefully design the rooms to make sure things aren't pointlessly obscured by the doors" you'd think and move on.

In other words, it felt like kind of a cheap shot because it contradicted a design principle which was otherwise adhered to throughout the game.

- For some puzzles there are no clues at all (the already mentioned book that had to be read to the horse in order to get the dentures).

I don't agree here. If I remember right both Laverne and Hoagie, if you have them examine the book, mention how snore-worthy it is so the idea of using it to send someone to sleep is supported by that clue at least.

Sign in to follow this