Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

DFA Game Club: DOTT

I don't seem to have DOTT anymore...

But once I get my Amiga hooked up, if it still works, I'm going to start from the beginning.

Dug this treat back up again: :)

lucasboxpic-jpg.jpg

Coming to think of it, I never actually finished Zak Mc Kracken! :-O

Hey guys, sorry for all the confusion here. Something came up last minute for me and I had to bail! I'm a terrible person. We can't let this die though! I have a proposition for you: how about we just go ahead and make this a weekly thing? Whaddaya say?! Let's give DOTT one more week so that lame people like me who haven't finished can do so, then we'll move onto something new the following week. Sooooooooooooo. SATURDAY at 12:00 PDT?

I'm in and i didn't finish it either. But i'm on the lasr chapter

Sounds awesome, Greg!

(and sorry for missing you a little while ago in the chat... idle/zzzz)

Hey guys, sorry for all the confusion here. Something came up last minute for me and I had to bail! I'm a terrible person. We can't let this die though! I have a proposition for you: how about we just go ahead and make this a weekly thing? Whaddaya say?! Let's give DOTT one more week so that lame people like me who haven't finished can do so, then we'll move onto something new the following week. Sooooooooooooo. SATURDAY at 12:00 PDT?

Sounds like a plan!

Has the feedback in the thread been of use, Greg? Are there any aspects of the game you want us to comment on which we haven't given thought to yet?

You know what'd be REALLY awesome? If you'd be a pal and set up a live feed on TwitchTV or USTREAM where we could watch you play, and chat at the same time.

Okay see you all tomorrow at 12:00 PDT! I'll see if I can figure out the stream as well. No promises though!!!!!!

I'd love to take a part of this. I still have a boxed copy (unshrinkwrapped) of DOTT under my bed. When I was about 5-7 years old I have distinct and vivid memories of watching my babysitters oldest son playing this game daily and I was absolutely in love.

#DFAdventure Chat!

DAY OF THE TENTACLE PLAYTHRU pt.2

NOW-ISH - 12 PDT, 7PM GMT, 3PM EST -- TODAY (Saturday) - Everyone welcome!

Slick browser-based chat! (CLICK HERE)

Or if you have an IRC client, such as mIRC (serious old school credibility)

IRC Server: irc.foonetic.net

Channel: #DFAdventure

nEmC4dnpGR4

The tragic tale of a creature who gets recognized as an equal for just one day, but is crushed by ruthless forces that stop at nothing to protect their superior social standing.

The writers criticize our own society by cleverly masking it as a cartoon adventure game. It's sad, but important for everyone to learn, especially since it's based on a true story.

We did it! Alright, let the recommendations for our next game begin! In a couple days I'll throw together a poll and we can see what folks want to play!

I guess I'll start by naming point and clicks that I already have on my Mac at home, which thusly would be easy to play and Stream on a Saturday:

Full Throttle

Machinarium

Bontanicula

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

I'm guessing that Full Throttle might win that poll.

Yeah, probably.

IMO, we should try sticking to games that Tim and Ron made, at least for now. Consider it preparation for DFA. :)

Simon the Sorcerer 2, you can get it off Gog.com for $6 and it works on ScummVM ;)

oh...I missed it.

Anybody recorded the Stream?

All he did was play the game. No commentary or anything. Hopefully next time he'll get a better hang of things.

Machinarium is the best of the choices Greg offered.

Other than Full Throttle, the rest are two... well abstract. In a good way, yes, but not great for a playthrough especially if Greg does try commentary next time or what he's actually learning and gaining while playing.

I'd have to vote for the free version of The Journey Down -- something everyone can get easily, can play through in about an hour, more of a typical adventure game.

Download free here

They're releasing the new HD version commercially in a month or so, it'd be nice press for them.

The other choices don't really feel like the modern heirs of the genre, to me anyway.

I'd be for Botanicula, because it's fresh out and one of the better examples of the genre (though not a exemplary of my favorite type of adventure games, but that's a personal preference...). Playing an adventure game together, everyone for the first time, has a certain magic. Also: it's cheap for now (or expensive, depending on your generosity) thanks to the Humble Botanicula Debut.

I'd really like to see maybe an alternation between classic games and more modern games, just reliving old successes doesn't seem quite as useful. I'd vote for machinarium or S&S, but eventually, I'd really like to see at least maybe half of The Longest Journey.

I'd be for Botanicula, because it's fresh out and one of the better examples of the genre (though not a exemplary of my favorite type of adventure games, but that's a personal preference...). Playing an adventure game together, everyone for the first time, has a certain magic. Also: it's cheap for now (or expensive, depending on your generosity) thanks to the Humble Botanicula Debut.

Well, Botanicula, although lovely, isn´t really a good adventure game. A good game, absolutely, but it really have som flaws in terms of puzzles. It´s very much trial&error; based, where it´s not very clear what parts of the scenery is interactive, or what the interaction with objects and characters really does. But it is a good game to show others in streams, because there is so much stuff going on and it looks soooo good. :)

My suggestions:

Beneath a Steel Sky - free on ScummVM

Gemini Rue - Maybe a bit to linear in it´s puzzle structure, but very well written.

Gray Matter - This might be a bit to expensive for some people, but you can get it sites like Gamersgate. It´s a nice game to follow a playthrough of, because the spooky story the unfolds in very nice way, bit for bit.

Tales of Monkey Island

Of the games Greg suggested, I vote for Full Throttle! :)

All he did was play the game. No commentary or anything. Hopefully next time he'll get a better hang of things.

To be honest, I agree with Reid Harris Cooper that the Game Club has the potential to be more interesting. There are lots of playthroughs, longplays and speedruns available on YouTube of both DotT and other games. What could make this different:

- If Greg would be wearing a headset, he could comment on the game now and then.

- Someone could sit next to Greg, also wearing a headset. That person could pass comments/questions from the IRC chat room to Greg. Example: "NicknameXYZ asks if you liked that last puzzle."

- Greg could play only games he hasn't played before and without a written walkthrough guide. If he feels he's really stuck, he could say so and folks in the IRC chat could pass hints to him via the person next to Greg. More interesting for the viewers and probably for Greg as well. A good starting place might be the thread Best Adventure Game No One’s Ever Heard Of. In it, eXo mentions The Neverhood (1996). If Greg hasn't played that one yet, it would be quite entertaining to see him try it out. Far more than watching Greg play, for example, Full Throttle, in my opinion.

- Probably mention the starting time not just as, for example, "12 PDT, 7PM GMT, 3PM EST", but also include some big countries or capital cities in that overview. In fact, we could probably figure out the exact starting times for each of the 207 sovereign states using Wikipedia. Even a link to a website that has a world clock overview or a conversion tool would help.

I think it would also be nice to play through a few adventure games that are not good, sometimes it's good to see, play, talk about, and discuss games that have failed. I'd also echo everything that Norbert said above.

Can I suggest the first Gabriel Knight game?

Partly because it's topical at the moment with the discussion we've been having about Jane Jensen's kickstarter, partly because it might make a very interesting contrast with DOTT - it's from the other major name in adventure game publishing from the golden age (Sierra), it's got a very different tone from DOTT, and so on.

Getting in on this late. I just started in on DOTT and will finish it this week.

I'm rather torn. I think Botanicula is fresh off the presses and a lot of us have gotten or are getting it, so now would be the prime time to analyze it. That said, part of me wants to expand my perspective on the genre and visit more classics. Grim Fandango would get my vote then, keeping with the Double Fine thing, but I also like Arthur's suggestion of Gabriel Knight games, or even something older!

Addendum: So I'm confused then. Was there any analysis of the Game Design to be had in the discussions for DOTT?

Addendum 2: Actually... Changing the vote from Grim Fandango to Full Throttle, since that is what was actually suggested. I would like to get around to playing that. Still think game design discussion for Botanicula is on the docket soon though, because it is fresh.

Sign in to follow this