Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

DFA Game Club: DOTT

Can I suggest the first Gabriel Knight game?

Partly because it's topical at the moment with the discussion we've been having about Jane Jensen's kickstarter, partly because it might make a very interesting contrast with DOTT - it's from the other major name in adventure game publishing from the golden age (Sierra), it's got a very different tone from DOTT, and so on.

Oooh, good idea! Would love to re-visit this game!

Gabriel Knight would be an excellent choice. It´s cheap on GOG, and I haven´t played it. :)

I'm all about getting recommendations. Now that we're doing it every week we'll have time for a lot of games!

I want to nominate Under a Killing Moon. With the Tex Murphy kickstarter coming up it seems timely, and it really is one of the best adventure games ever ever.

Plus I think a lot of people haven't played it, and they really should.

I'm rather torn. I think Botanicula is fresh off the presses and a lot of us have gotten or are getting it, so now would be the prime time to analyze it.

I agree, but personally I prefer if this week the group decides to go for something older since there is no way for me to play this weekend (real life things). It would be cool to play Botanicula with others on the subsequent weekend.

All the options mentioned on the thread are great, how about SQ4? A humorous game, but a different type of humor than DOTT?

I'll try to make the next Live Stream!

I vote for either Full Throttle or Machinarium as I just got Swords & Sorcery and Botanicula, and haven't played them yet.

Guilty was a pretty good old game, despite 2 terribly hidden objects in the beginning that can hardly be found even with diligent pixel-hunting.

It's similar to Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis in the sense that it gives you two alternative stories in one game (and unlike IJ, it gives them from the perspective of two totally different characters).

I would really recommend playing Ron Gilbert's first games: Zak MacKracken (I never learned to spell it right) and the alien mindbenders and the first Maniac Mansion.

The reason is that these games offer different and real consequences of your actions and have "alive" NPCs with interesting behaviour in the gameplay itself.

I have tried to explain why I prefer them as a model here:

->

So, Greg, can we open up the poll soon? Might be an idea to put it up today so we can get some results in by Friday (which'd give people a day to Steam up or GOGify whatever gets picked...).

I really love Dott game intro and that music, good memory. I really hope DFA get also cool intro like that

I would really recommend playing Ron Gilbert's first games: Zak MacKracken (I never learned to spell it right) and the alien mindbenders and the first Maniac Mansion.

I agree that these are interesting games. I'm not sure how suitable they would be for the Game Club. They aren't all that visually appealing and they don't have talkie versions. The latter means we'd have to constantly look at the stream to know what's going on; looking at something that isn't that visually appealing. I guess it depends on if it's just Greg playing the game or if he's commenting on it and there's some interaction between him and the audience.

I agree that these are interesting games. I'm not sure how suitable they would be for the Game Club. They aren't all that visually appealing and they don't have talkie versions. The latter means we'd have to constantly look at the stream to know what's going on; looking at something that isn't that visually appealing. I guess it depends on if it's just Greg playing the game or if he's commenting on it and there's some interaction between him and the audience.

You are right. My other suggestion - Guilty - had a voice CD version. The one problem that I see with it are the two pixel hunting puzzles at the very beginning. The game would have been so much better without them.

I consider Guilty interesting for similar reasons: the game seems more alive than other games from the same genre.

The Last Express might work, even if the limited animation might cause people to think there's something wrong with the streaming. (Fun fact: It was designed by Jordan Mechner, of Karateka and Prince of Persia fame.) Or for something that at the very least has a pretty unique style, both visually and musically, there's always The Neverhood. That one may be a bit more expensive to get hold of, though.

I picked up The Last Express from gog.com several months ago. I keep meaning to start playing it, but every time I try, I get hopelessly lost within 30 or 45 minutes. The main problem is that I'm not quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing on the train, and the guy that's supposed to tell you ends up dead before you even meet him.

I think it's a game that I'd much rather watch someone else play then try to figure out myself.

(As the forum doesn't have a spoiler tag, I just colored the text white in the above paragraph. Hilight to read.)

I picked up The Last Express from gog.com several months ago. I keep meaning to start playing it, but every time I try, I get hopelessly lost within 30 or 45 minutes.

I see what you mean. It's actually not one of my favorite games to play, because there is just so much stuff going on in such an enclosed space that it gets overwhelming at times. At the same time, I think it's one of the most impressive adventure games I've ever played. I don't think I've ever seen one - at least not any graphical one - that tried so hard, and for the most part succeeded so well, to make me believe that the other characters I encountered had their own lives, independent of me and my actions; that I was not the center of this universe.

It's a bit like the second year of Grim Fandango in that respect, only much more so and with much fewer friends to turn to. And a lot of things happen whether or not you're around to witness them. Much of the time you don't have to, because they're just there to add to the atmosphere. I also like how it handles foreign languages. At least in the English version, everyone speaks the appropriate language. If it's not English but your character is still supposed to understand it, it's subtitled. Otherwise, it's not.

Day of Tentacle is game that is hard to find flaws in, but even diamonds have flaws if you look in a magnifying glass. So here's my list of things Day of the Tentacle could have had that would make it better.

1. Multipath Branching with Different Endings

2. Multiple Gameplay Difficulty Levels

3. Multiple Puzzle Solutions

4. Points

5. More time periods with one for each kid in Maniac Mansion including Sandy. It would have been cool to see the dinosaur period, pyramids with Cousin Ted's ancestors or being stuck in Hitler's Germany. Sweet opportunities for Indiana Jones and Guybrush cameos. Even Zak since that game was in the future.

6. More puzzle interface puzzles like the one where you had to assemble bones in the Dig. I said more, because I'm going to count viewing recorded footage.

7. A mansion that looked more like the one in Maniac Mansion. For instance there is no pool and the copy protection security door is gone.

8. An extended final where you had to switch as different kids in the SAME time period instead of being stuck in the same clothes. For instance you could have two kids distract purple tentacles while everyone else gets by and Hoagie would be the only kid strong enough to pick up the bowling ball.

9. Easter Eggs

While it's not big enough to put on the list I would have also liked Purple Meteor and Mark Eteer cameos. The question also remains who microwaved the hamster that caused Weird Ed to get therapy and was the third kid in MM? Razor or Syd?

As for the positives of Day of the Tentacle that jump out at me for DFA.

1. I loved the games stereotypes especially of the presidents and burglar. So I would like the dialogues, and puzzles in DFA to stereotype on current events. Well current assuming the game takes place in the present.

2. I liked the newspapers that showed what Purple Tentacle was up to in the present. For DFA I would like newspapers that reflect your characters actions and other events in the game. Some newspaper stories would be optional and well hidden.

hi greg, would it be possible to mention the game's title in the ustream recordings? or put a direct link here in the forum.. would be practical :)

@DFA Game Club have you done a Humongous Entertainment Adventure Game yet such as Pajama Sam? There's even a Wii remake that was released of the first game in the Pajama Sam series if you don't still have a copy of the pc version. I would really love to hear you opinions on these classic "children's" adventure games.

Sign in to follow this