Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Leirith

Your Dream Adventure Game

If you could conjure up any adventure game you wished for, what would it be like?

Something like Full Throttle meets Interstate '76 would be pretty awesome in my opinion. All the interesting puzzles of Full Throttle combined with intense car combat of I'76 wrapped up in great exposition.

I've always silently hoped that in the absense of an official Psychonauts sequel a group of fans would ride in on shiny white horses to make an old-school point and click adventure to continue Raz's journey into Psychonaut-dom. I think the format would suit this game really well.

I'd want one that had amusing voice acting and reactions to practically everything like the Discworld games. Multiple endings and a changing storyline like in 999 along with skip able text for already witnessed scenes. An active new game plus to make replays as enjoyable as possible. Pretty artwork with really expressive characters like the art of Makani or Phobs. Customization for your main character that affects some of the gameplay but doesn't make it easier/harder so there isn't any pressure to do it "just right" and effectively remove the point of aesthetic customization. A variety of game mechanics/level design like in Psychonauts that would make the game seem fresh the whole way through even when it gets hard. Characters who have actual personalities that make them 3-demensional whether you end up liking them or not. A quick save function. I can't think of anything else but I'm sure there's more. xD

Oh! I also want one that's a combination of funny and serious. So It's not all one or the other but has a good balance. That way I can joy figuring out weird uses for the watermelon shaped like a pig I just found but also become invested in the plot. Because it's really IMPORTANT that I get that pig to the princess!

To be honest, there will probably never be any adventure game that can beat the glorious days of MI 2 and DotT. I've played everything I could get my hands on since then, but still, nothing. And a better theme than the good ol' Guybrush? Nah.

I literally dreamed about an adventure game, it was in some sort of 'noir' setting and you were tom waits to be. The objective was to become a singer, but to become a singer you need songs. And if you know tom waits his songs are mostly pretty bizarre stories, so to advance in this adventure you had to walk about town and encounter weird stuff. One of which was picking a lock with a key made of several sorts of fish bones you had to collect. Leading to the following song:

Peoria Johnson told Dirty Ol' Joe

I can break out of any old jail, you know

The bars are iron, the walls are stone

All I need me is an old fishbone

Fish in the jailhouse tonight, all right, oh boy

They're serving fish in the jailhouse tonight, all right, oh boy

They're serving fish in the jailhouse

Fish in the jailhouse tonight

[?] hammerhead shark

Well, a steelhead salmon or a mud bank carp

I said, one side dull, and then the other side sharp

And on Saturday night I'll be in Central Park

Ask Little Slow Jackson, on a forty-four trip

Ask Whipperfield[?] Farraday, ask what I did

From the jail to the city, there's a rollin' fog

From Natchez(2) to Kenosha, runnin' down to New York

They're serving fish in the jailhouse tonight

All right (all right), oh boy (oh boy)

I have weird dreams :D

Dreamfall episodes in my lifetime :D

I would like to play fallout 2 (turn based combat and isometric view) in mass effect (1) universe. To make it adventure game let's put some puzzles for solving in between tons of dialog options and killings :)

I've always dreamed of a adventure game that borrowed from SimCity, The Sims, etc.

In which it became less about just manipulating characters you made up but the adventure had a beginning, middle and end, with goals and more.

The FABLES series is the closest that ever came to do this, but I'd want it to be a 2D or 2.5 D style game without combat and an urban setting.

and real dialogue and such. The dialogue part wouldn't be human controlled. There would be a major amount of control on your part. You could choose what missions to do and when and where and by who...

It'd be a major game for anyone to overtake or even try to make. Of course the thread topic was DREAM.

My impossible dream adventure game would be one that has an immensely detailed, living world, where the story and relationships etc really can take just about any turn your mind is able to cook up. Basically, because whenever I play a game I love (grim fandango, gemini rue, etc) I always wish I could go on exploring it, pulling a groundhog day and seeing what happens if I did something completely differently.

Of course, this would mean AI on a whole different scale than what we're capable of, so I'm not holding my breath.

Something like A Mind Forever Voyaging, except 100 years more advanced.

Full immersion. You're not just playing the game, you're living it. Granted that's a bit ahead of currently technology, but hey, it's my dream adventure game.

Full immersion. You're not just playing the game, you're living it. Granted that's a bit ahead of currently technology, but hey, it's my dream adventure game.

Thats a game called 'life' its been around for ages, some people like it others think its not that special.

Thats a game called 'life' its been around for ages, some people like it others think its not that special.

Huh, people keep telling me to get that, but I didn't like the reviews, and everyone dies in the end apparently. ;-P

Huh, people keep telling me to get that, but I didn't like the reviews, and everyone dies in the end apparently. ;-P

APPARENTLY is the operative word. You won't know until you get there and see what happens next, you might think it's Game Over and suddenly you're like "Damn, this game is deep and heavy".

Haha. If I could vote up this post I would. Life, the ultimate tragedy.

Cool rough story with humor mixed with all the best from full throttle and brutal legend. Special custom motorcycles an custom cars with special abilities. Games with motorcycle gangs are a really cool concept which can be repeated

Nightlong was an adventure game I really enjoyed for its visual style, but the story was a bit all over the place and the pacing was to fast.

I would love to see a cyberpunk noire story (blade runner much) with proper execution. Tackling mature themes of morality and even have a minor focus point on horror.

APPARENTLY is the operative word. You won't know until you get there and see what happens next, you might think it's Game Over and suddenly you're like "Damn, this game is deep and heavy".

Lol, that's awesome.

You had me at APPARENTLY

I would play as a drug-addled insane schizophrenic man who thinks he is Sherlock Holmes. He would "solve mysteries" in his mind but really he would misinterpret everyday objects as clues, and just be generally destructive.

The weird thing about this discussion is that game design has shown time and time again that giving people what they say they want rarely works. Giving people a "go anywhere do anything" game would be confusing and frustrating.

I have a few concepts which tend to come from dreams.

I always seem to have dreams about zombies so there's a couple. An RTS adventure game where you need to defend a mall from zombies and adopt a couple strategies. You can decide to try to hold the entire mall and perhaps come across bonuses and secrets to help you and to get you out of the mall. Or you can adopt a fort strategy where you hole up in the food court and make it impossible to breach. There are also other ways to play depending on where you want to defend. Also randomized events would come up and make it more challenging. That's definitely one of my more favorite random dream ideas I've had.

Another is if I had an infinite budget. It's a twist on an RPG, adventure, god game where you play a super-powered psychic individual like someone from a Twilight Zone episode. You have total control over reality. You can basically set the kind of world that exists in the game based on your preferences. You modify just about everything or can adapt it. But there are about seven individuals who exist who are semi-resistent to your power. You can modify them (character-create them) based on your powers and you call them together to serve you but you can't utterly control them like most. You can make deals with them, play them off one another based on their personality. How you may have changed them or reality plays into whether they respect, fear, distrust, or worship you. Basically you send them off on a quest because it amuses you. You can't kill them but you can play a game with them. Like you're Q. The main conflict of the game is that there is a far-flung part of the world you can't seem to control and you're sending them because, unlike those people who you can control utterly, you know that they are the only ones who can enter this realm.

That setup is as far as I get with the concept. I'd love to see dynamic storylines and manipulation amongst characters. It's a bit of I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream as well probably.

One time I dreamed about a cowboy that got abducted and "probed" by aliens. Upon his return, his main concern was that nobody interpreted the alien procedure as homosexual in any way.

The POV jumped between the cowboy, and various men and women that frequented the cowboy's favorite bar.

Opinions varied about how to deal with the aliens: were they evil jerks who probed people for fun, or just curious intergalactic scientists who never imagined their tests might be considered uncouth? As Earth's first contact with aliens, should the community respond with "southern hospitality", or a major shotgun-laden expression of "don't tread on me"? A confused racist was trying to work out if the aliens were black or white ("gray" was impossible for him to wrap his head around).

Also, the whole thing was a musical.

As a game, I'm imagining it to be a Southern Gothic "Maniac Mansion" meets "Rock Band".

You know what? This game concept sounds even more awesome now that I've written it down. If DF doesn't use it, I WILL!

Sign in to follow this