Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

Alright: this is a pretty savvy bunch. We all know the hits. i'd like to see some recommendations for far lesser-known adventure games that are GREAT. Diamonds in the rough.

We're going to disagree on what makes a lesser-known adventure game (and what "GREAT" means), i'm sure. But i'm really curious to know if there are any obscure and wonderful titles i can chew through while we wait for Tim and the gang to get rolling.

Here's my recommendation: Kult/Chamber of the Sci-Mutant Priestess. It may be really difficult to revisit because the graphics are pretty rough, but the game did something really really neat. Play it and find out what i'm talking about!

chamber-of-the-sci-mutant-priestess_11.gif

And here's one more for you (which you can dl for free on the author's site): The Fool's Errand. It's more of a word puzzle game than a graphic adventure game, but you might like it.

00-07-prologue.gif

Your turn!

- Ryan

I was going to suggest The Fool's Errand, but apparently someone else HAS heard of it. (And it's more of a puzzle game than an adventure.)

The Journeyman Project trilogy. For some reason no one I talk to EVER seems to have heard of these, but IMO they're brilliant. The first one is a bit rough around the edges, but 2 and 3... mmmh. Love.

40.jpg

I was going to say Douglas Adams Starship Titanic but I'm pretty sure most people have heard of the title.

I was going to say Douglas Adams Starship Titanic but I'm pretty sure most people have heard of the title.

Yes, but I've never been able to find it and know nothing about it. So please, share stuff about it so I am motivated to keep looking.

I played "Return of the Phantom," which I thought was a really cool adventure game when I played it with my dad, but I unfortunately haven't gone back to verify if it was actually a good game or I just had "first adventure game" rose-colored glasses.

missing.gif

Missing

Great, atmospheric horror game that takes a turn for the grotesque near the end.

uninvited_01.png

Uninvited

A game very similar to Missing with varied types of horror to be found.

A-Tale-of-Two-Kingdoms_2.jpg

A Tale of Two Kingdoms

A great game inspired by King's Quest.

scooby-doo-mystery_2s.jpg

Scooby Doo: Mystery!

A great Lucasart's style SCUMM Scooby Doo game for the SEGA Genesis. I own it and highly recommend it.

town.gif

The Mystery of Haunted Hollow

I admit nostalgia colors me a bit on this one, but I love games like this with this sort of feeling. Admittedly easy, but with a charming Home Movies style of art and a great, dark, magical, chilling atmosphere. Definitely cute.

I'm sure there's plenty of games I could add to this list but I'm never sure what counts as unheard of.

In fact....here.

I haven't come across most of these! Thank you for sharing.

Most (read as "all") of the titles I know are pretty mainstream and have been brought up in multiple "What's your favorite..." type threads. Apologies for having nothing to contribute other than gratitude. :D

Yes, but I've never been able to find it and know nothing about it. So please, share stuff about it so I am motivated to keep looking.

I played "Return of the Phantom," which I thought was a really cool adventure game when I played it with my dad, but I unfortunately haven't gone back to verify if it was actually a good game or I just had "first adventure game" rose-colored glasses.

Oh well it was a game that came out in 1998, written by Douglas Adams and had voice work from Terry Jones and John Cleese of Monty Python. Mostly the game was remarkable for its artistic style.

It's all about the Starship Titanic crashing into earth into the main character house. It's pretty cool but people complain about puzzles difficulty.

splash.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6gO9R-RbqsD-VZy5-xZ4QisKyXnWKsON-jhj2gNlER8aH194MSfF3yXhf

starship_titanic-shot.jpg

Not sure what people have/haven't heard of. But has anyone else played Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb? I really liked that one. I played it as a kid.

Touch Detective is a pretty niche one I think. It originally came out on the DS but more recently has gotten a rerelease on iOS. Its original DS versions are pretty difficult to find, but if you have an iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch, I'd highly recommend trying it out. The first chapter is free and to get all of them its only $9, a steal compared to what I paid for my DS version. Its a wonderfully cute game where you play as Mackenzie a young girl detective and go around solving crazy cases about really odd things. Its pretty witty.

I love Touch Detective! They also released a free app for growing funghi.

I hope they release it for android and not just for apple devices. I really want to play the extra bit they put in for the app version of the game but I don't own an iphone/pad/pod and don't plan on getting one.

I have a few non-traditional adventures for you...

1) I'm a pretty big fan of Sleep Is Death, although it's not technically a pure P&C adventure game. It's a multiplayer-only, make-your-own adventure game - one player is "god" and controls the scene and story, while the other person is a character trying to navigate the narrator's tale through dialogue and interacting with stuff. Players get a 30 second turn to respond to the other, pretty hectic but very fun to play with creative friends. The narrator interface takes a bit of getting used to, but it's definitely worth a play!

Sidenote: if this sounds interesting to you, a project called "The Written World" just got successfully kickstarted and is due out around July - it's very similar to Sleep Is Death, but is more like a text adventure.

Random gameplay:

00033.png

00028.png

Here's what "god" sees:

5-thumb.PNG

2) The Dark Eye is worth checking out. You reenact three Edgar Allen Poe stories, once as the killer, and once as the victim. Pretty creepy stuff (especially with those soulless claymation characters... *shudder*) - a little light on puzzles/gameplay, since it's mostly an interactive story.

b30.jpg?1251227140

3&4) Snatcher and its sequel, Policenauts - all I can say without spoilers is that the former is similar to Blade Runner (cyborgs are killing humans and taking their place), and the latter is you playing as a futuristic cyber-PI. I know it sounds cheesy, but they are both written and directed by Hideo Kojima of Metal Gear fame. If you like AMAZING and thrilling storytelling, check these adventures out. Also, Snatcher is infamous for being rigorously censored in different releases, so it's worth checking out several versions of it if you can (The PC Engine version is the least censored, the Sega CD version has extra acts and better sound).

If you want to play Policenauts in English, there's an unofficial English translation patch here: http://policenauts.net/english/

Snatcher:

snatcher_screen3.jpg

16SNATCHER_006-620x.jpg

Policenauts:

policenauts-psone12.png

policenauts-psone3.png

Also, HUGE fan of Scooby Doo for the Genesis, I rented that game so many times as a kid! I second that one!

I recall reading the Starship Titanic novel written by Monty Python alumni Terry Jones (Douglas Adams jokingly claimed that Jones insisted on writing the novel in the nude). It had a unique humor that was different from either men and made it quite the fun read.

I loved the Dark Eye! Also, it wasn't an adventure game but it reminds me of The 7th Guest which was popular back in its heyday.

I'm really interested in trying out some of the games that have been mentioned here, but I doubt I'll ever have the time anymore :(

Rama

Based on the books by Arthur C. Clarke (he actually makes appearances in the game, explaining why you died for instance), it's still one of my favorites due to the excellent setting and atmosphere. Combined with the writing of Clarke, the prerendered screens and the HQ captured video of the actors superimposed on it, it really captured a feeling of alienness. The only low part was a timed puzzle at the end. Now I want to play it again. :(

rama-pic-490.jpg

rama1l.jpg

A word of warning though: Even though it's an adventure game, it's more about the exploration of an alien setting than anything else. And there's a lot of math puzzles. A lot. And difficult if you don't know how. As in do maths in base 16 and base 8.

Still, HIGHLY recommended by me just to experience it.

Aye, Starship Titanic was a bit too dependent on the text parsing for my liking -- wanted to love it, but I got stuck far too many times due to that. Have the box around here somewhere....

I loved the original Journeyman Project, but only ever played the demo of the sequel. Didn't even realize there was ever a third one. :( -- I used the video file from the pre-rendered canyon flythrough in the original JP as a screensaver for a while... with a pencil+paper cutout of a spaceship taped to the middle of the screen :P ...Win 95 era, I think.

Will definitely have to try finding some of the others in this thread!

I really enjoyed Prisoner of Ice (sequel to Shadow of the Comet, in the Call of Cthulhu Lovecraft series) by Infogrames and Altered Destiny by Accolade. Accolade also made the Les Manley series (vague attempt to rip off Leisure Suit Larry, but didn't have any of the girl stuff) with Search for the King and Lost in LA.

Rama was pretty fun until the final puzzle, which you need an advanced math degree to solve, and is random on every playthrough.

I will add the game Timelapse to the list. It was a fairly good Myst clone made back in the days when those were booming. It is, as one might guess, based on travelling back in time to various eras. I only played it once, but I remember it being a lot of fun, and having some nicely designed (if somewhat overly difficult) puzzles.

116_4.jpg

Go to Anastazi ruins.

116_2.jpg

And Egypt!

116_1.jpg

Save some professor guy trapped in time!

Rama was pretty fun until the final puzzle, which you need an advanced math degree to solve, and is random on every playthrough.

I will add the game Timelapse to the list. It was a fairly good Myst clone made back in the days when those were booming. It is, as one might guess, based on travelling back in time to various eras. I only played it once, but I remember it being a lot of fun, and having some nicely designed (if somewhat overly difficult) puzzles.

Yes! Timelapse! I didn't think anyone else knew what this was. You have to go to each ancient civilization and work through puzzles to retrieve a stone which goes into the time machine. Once you have all of them you go to Atlantis and save the professor. I never made it that far, unfortunately. I finished everything except for the Anasazi part where you needed to search for (replenishing) arrowheads in the level, attach them to an arrow, and then shoot them at a tiny hole in a rock waaay across this gap. You had to listen to the wind in order to know when to shoot, and it ended up being stupidly hard for me.

So many great games already mentioned, looks like I'm firing up the old torrents :)

Sanitarium (video game)

Sanitarium.jpg

One of my all time favorites!

Here's another oldie but goodie:

Nightlong

Nightlong_-_Union_City_Conspiracy_Coverart.png

So many great games already mentioned, looks like I'm firing up the old torrents :)

Well, if you don't mind getting games from GoG, they have a selection of a few adventures games that are currently available for free:

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue#adventure/price/0/

Frederik Pohl's Gateway and Gateway 2. They were graphical text adventures. Humans discovered the spacecraft of a missing alien race, which turns out to be a spaceport for pre-programmed exploration pods. It's the player's job to explore new planets and discover new alien artifacts (and get paid handsomely for them).

There is a part near the end of the first game where you have to cause paradoxes in order to crash virtual reality programs. I always thought that part would make a great game on its own. I would have called it "VR Breaker" or something like that.

"Time Gentlemen Please!"

ss_dbf3b2b68801afa3ab5e0eae6c763a16d1f064bf.1920x1080.jpg?t=1317224228

I don't know if it qualifies as well known, but considering it's never on anyone's lists I would presume not.

Pokes fun at a lot of adventure game cliches and I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

Graphics could be better, but the whole game is hilarious so it never bothered me.

Great recommendations here - thanks!

I wonder if anyone has heard of Animal? This was probably the first adventure game I played. It's set in 'Snackopolis' where all the characters are anthropomorphic foodstuffs, like the sausage protagonist and chocolate biscuit bouncers in this screenshot.

231129-animal-dos-screenshot-chocolate-bouncerss.png

Sign in to follow this