Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

Kind of surprised no one put this up yet used to be a favorite of mine.

256px-Chronomaster_cover.jpg

verdry2.jpg

c_161.jpg

c_208.jpg

Lots of interesting puzzles in this one.

Ah Chronomaster...the interface is a nightmare. And the animations, so terribly stiff...just couldn't get into it, but I'm sure it has lots of clever ideas under the rather rocky surface.

how about Hollywood Monsters? The 2nd game from Pendulo Studios, makers of the Runaway series. I never could find out if there was an english translation of this floating out there that reviewers received. The game always looked amazing to me. I’ve never played it

23967-hollywood-monsters-windows-screenshot-vampire-alerts.gif

Most overrated adventure game ever, even the devs acknowledge it's awful. Seriously, that game has a terrible puzzle design.

Anyway, back to the topic, here are three master pieces:

Discworld Noir

discworld-noir-2182.jpg

The Last Express

the-last-express-1881.jpg

Toonstruck

toonstruck-5623.jpg

Um, plenty of people have heard of and played Discworld Noir and The Last Express. Both of those games are considered among the top 20 or so adventures ever made.

well there's a lot of crap on here, but maybe someone will appreciate this.

Some of my favorite adventure games came out on the Nintendo entertainment system of all things, I believe most of them were ported from existing mac games, but still. They were all developed and published by Kemco. The first I remember and first chronologically speaking was Deja Vu:

15598688_Retroware-Tv-Deja-Vu---Retroware-Tv---Nes-Review--jpg

920457-deja_vu36_super.png

It was a fun little early adventure type game where you played as an amnesiac who was trying to figure out why he just woke up in a toilet and why his gun was missing bullets, so yeah a usual Sunday morning for Tim Schafer sort of thing.

They used the engine for this and went on to make a game that became a bit more popular and many of you probably have heard of called Shadowgate:

236111-shadowgate.jpg

spot_shadowgate05.png

This game kicked ass, playing it even today gives me chills, even the cover made me wet my bed as a kid.

You were some guy wondering through a dungeon trying to stop some evil wizard from destroying the world or some such thing. You know like any Monday morning for Tim Schafer.

They used the engine for these games and made Uninvited which was already posted in this thread so I won't bother. They went ahead and made some action games too using elements from this engine and boy did they kick ass too like,

Rescue: The embassy Mission:

RescueTheEmbassyMission.jpg

embassy10.jpg

This one you played as a swat guy and you had to go through this tactical thing and take out a lot of terrorists, there was a door by door sweep bit that played like their previous adventure games but otherwise it was just action stuff, fun but irrelevant.

Then there was Rocket Ranger:

g31187ogysu.jpg

It looked like a knock off or Rocketeer the film and comic book that came out around that time, and it was, I guess, but it was waaaaay better than the Rocketeer game that came out around that time. Admittedly this one doesn't qualify as an adventure game really, but it is one worth checking out, and obscure. You can find each of these at a used game store or on ebay for like less than a dollar most of the time. Kemco had gone on to do the sequel to Shadowgate and make a bunch of other ports for games that were never quite as good. Now they just seem to be putting out a bunch of unimaginative Rpg games for the Iphone and such, sad that.

Shadowgate 64 as I'm referring to it seems to be an action game differing from it's predecessor, I haven't played it but from what I've seen it doesn't look very good. A bastard offspring like Ti... nevermind.

The adventure games listed here do have mac and dos counterparts, but they are vastly inferior graphics wise. So dust off your Nes and check these out.

Beavis & Butt-head in Virtual Stupidity was an awesome point & clicker:

virtualstupidity-class.jpg

Did you try the sequel?

I feel I have to add a recommendation for Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth. I loved the atmosphere of that game. And the humour was right up my alley. "Then I grabbed a HANDFUL of feathers! Those were the good old days!"

What was really great about it was that it had an utterly bizarre setting, and was packed with crazy ideas, and yet the internal consistency was such that all the puzzles made sense and were entirely solvable with a bit of thought.

Since the post was so recent: "Rescue: The Embassy Mission" was one of my favorite NES games growing up - even if mainly for the sneaking and sniping portions of the game.

Back to older posts: I have Starship Titanic in the attic somewhere...

The Gobliiins series were games that my brother and I would play together but sadly we only ever had the demos.

We would also play the Hugo's House of Horrors games, fun times.

Does Flashback count?

Flashback_-_The_Quest_for_Identity.png

It's technically a "cinematic platformer", but I remember the game had a lot of adventure elements in it. It was a looong time ago since I played it, though.

edit: Can't get the link to the Wikipedia article to work properly. :| Parentheses in the URL are screwing it up.

Anyone ever play Gigolo Assassin (free flash game at adultswim.com). Its a very good, funny adventure game.

There are a few good - if short - adventure games on the XBOX Live Indie Games market.

I played the four "Decay" games. They were all fairly short -- about an hour or two each. Kind of creepy and surreal.

http://decay.shining-gate.se/

More recently, I played one called "Without Escape". Another creepy point-and-clicker.

+1 for Dark Seed, Journeyman Project series

I'm surprised so few people mention Tex Murphy games - maybe those are the ones everyone has heard of.

I also liked:

Shivers - creepy museum puzzle adventure

Phantasmagoria - horror adventure

Iron Helix - sci-fi game that was great (except for the super annoying final puzzle)

They used the engine for this and went on to make a game that became a bit more popular and many of you probably have heard of called Shadowgate:

236111-shadowgate.jpg

spot_shadowgate05.png

It looked like a knock off or Rocketeer the film and comic book that came out around that time, and it was, I guess, but it was waaaaay better than the Rocketeer game that came out around that time. Admittedly this one doesn't qualify as an adventure game really, but it is one worth checking out, and obscure. You can find each of these at a used game store or on ebay for like less than a dollar most of the time. Kemco had gone on to do the sequel to Shadowgate and make a bunch of other ports for games that were never quite as good. Now they just seem to be putting out a bunch of unimaginative Rpg games for the Iphone and such, sad that.

Shadowgate 64 as I'm referring to it seems to be an action game differing from it's predecessor, I haven't played it but from what I've seen it doesn't look very good. A bastard offspring like Ti... nevermind.

The adventure games listed here do have mac and dos counterparts, but they are vastly inferior graphics wise. So dust off your Nes and check these out.

Shadowgate64 isn't an action game, it has the same mechanic as the old NES only that you can move about like the re-make of myst.

... collecting items and solving puzzles!

I was going to write that I loved the atmosphere for Shadowgate64, but kind of felt sad because of the bastard offspring comment i.i

You should give it a chance!

Below is the link to a youtube review of the game.

Shadowgate64 review

The Gobliiins series were games that my brother and I would play together but sadly we only ever had the demos.

That's easy to remedy now with the Gobliiins pack on GOG.com though. In my opinion those games hold up good very well even today. I'd stay well clear of the fourth game that's available elsewhere though.

Jack Orlando

A nicely done adventure game where u are a detective in the 1930ties. You were framed for a murder and than have to find the real murderer. I remember that the playtime wasn't that long but graphics were very nice at the time. And I still listen to some songs of the jazzy soundtrack today, it is so well done and fits to the setting.

jackorlandodcbx.jpg

379564-jack-orlando-a-cinematic-adventure-dos-screenshot-downtown.jpg

Music:

The Journeyman Project trilogy. For some reason no one I talk to EVER seems to have heard of these, but IMO they're brilliant. The first one is a bit rough around the edges, but 2 and 3... mmmh. Love.

40.jpg

Ah!! Since you only have 1 post I'm not sure if you'll see this, but I was/am a huge Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time fangirl, both for the hilarious talking helmet (Arthur), and because it was my first real intro to Buddhist belief systems. I wrote a big fangirly letter to Presto Studios when I was in middle school, and they mailed me back a Journeyman Project pin and a Presto Studios t-shirt. Those were good times.

Ok so.. I have a couple..

After that there's the Legend of Kyrandia series. I adored the first game of the trilogy.. The second one was all right too, BUT got confusing if you didn't play the first as there was a puzzle in there that REQUIRED some knowledge of the first game to understand how you solve it..

The third game... I don't know WHAT they were thinking.. It just... No. the puzzles were RIDICULOUSLY hard and had NO logic at ALL on how to solve them, there was a maze in the game that was next to impossible.. Needless to say I NEEDED to look up a walkthrough for Kyrandia 3.. Not to mention the story was utterly stupid and really ruined a lot of the stuff from the first game..

256px-Lok-b1.jpg

kyrandia2-box-220x245.jpg

malcolm_b.jpg

Thanks for bringing up Kyrandia. I actually liked all of the games. I dressed up as Malcolm the jester one Halloween, even though it was an obscure reference and most people just saw that I was a jester.

redjack0.jpg

Redjack: Revenge of the Brethren is a fun game with some classic adventure puzzles and some Zelda-type jump on the rocks and stay out of the lava puzzles. I remember a battle in it where you load and shoot cannons at ships, which was also fun. It might be tough to get it to run on a new operating system, though.

And here's one more for you (which you can dl for free on the author's site): The Fool's Errand. It's more of a word puzzle game than a graphic adventure game, but you might like it.

00-07-prologue.gif

That was a great game. After 25 years, Cliff has finally shipped the sequel.

And here's one more for you (which you can dl for free on the author's site): The Fool's Errand. It's more of a word puzzle game than a graphic adventure game, but you might like it.

00-07-prologue.gif

That was a great game. After 25 years, Cliff has finally shipped the sequel.

Yes, I agree. I've now played The Fool and his Money. It's much bigger than The Fool's Errand. I am scratching my head about whether The Fool and his Money is an adventure game. Could be, or maybe not. I might call it an "unorthodox" adventure game.

It's endorsed by Stephen Sondheim, which is kind of unusual for a video game.

But take note -- the DF Action Forums "information cow" has an eerie similarity to one of the early screens in The Fool and his Money. I saw the cow and I was like Whoa! This has to be a coincidence...right? Why would two unrelated (?) game developers write that word just like that? I know it's just a word, but still...

The title is Best Adventure Game No One’s Ever Heard Of and people post LucasArts' Games :facepalm:

Anyway, good topic. I remember in the late 90s, I'd played every LucasArts' game and I was in a quest to find similar games over the internets for me to consume. I ended in a place called theunderdogs.org, around 97-98, there they'd a huge catalog of point-'n-click adventures. I played many of the games mentioned here because of that site.

Now I leave my recommendations:

Rex Nebular and the Cosmic Gender Bender

Very funny game whereupon there is a gender battle going on. I never finished it because there was a bug preventing me to proceed later on and I got so pissed off that I abandoned it.

57856-rex-nebular-and-the-cosmic-gender-bender-dos-screenshot-captured.png

57858-rex-nebular-and-the-cosmic-gender-bender-dos-screenshot-the.png

57834-rex-nebular-and-the-cosmic-gender-bender-dos-screenshot-female.png

Kronolog: The Nazi Paradox

An alternative world where the nazis won the WWII.

135323-kronolog-the-nazi-paradox-dos-screenshot-check-out-the-symbols.png

135325-kronolog-the-nazi-paradox-dos-screenshot-even-nazis-need-protection.png

135339-kronolog-the-nazi-paradox-dos-screenshot-making-a-makeshift.png

Alpha Polaris is a very good game (IMHO) released in 2011. It is not on Steam or GOG. I found it on Amazon digital download section with zero comments. It is a kind of horror-themed adventure game released by a tiny indy developer in Finland. Very good puzzles and spooky atmosphere. Worth a look!

Very funny game whereupon there is a gender battle going on. I never finished it because there was a bug preventing me to proceed later on and I got so pissed off that I abandoned it.

I have a vague memory of that one. Couldn't you walk into a machine and change your gender at one point? To bad they don't make them this weird anymore, he he he.

I have a vague memory of that one. Couldn't you walk into a machine and change your gender at one point? To bad they don't make them this weird anymore, he he he.

Yep, that's it, very funny. Too bad, the two games from the same team have a bug that prevented me from finishing it, Rex Nebular and DragonSphere.

Nothing is more frustrating than being stuck and after a long while you realize you're stuck because of a bug.

Sign in to follow this