Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

Anyone remember Hugo?

I only had/played Hugo 3 and I remember I got stuck about one hour into the game and despite trying many times I couldn't get past it (I recall knowing what I had to do but it was typing it in correctly that was holding me back - just couldn't get the wording right, I think).

EDIT

Hah, I just now realized that I probably couldn't move that stupid boulder because I had the shareware version and it was blocking the path to keep me from proceeding. Hah!

Yeah, these games were the first adventure games I ever had. I had played Transylvania on Apple II earlier at school, but Hugo's House of Horror's was the first one I ever had at home and the one where I really came to love the genre. They're not much in hindsight, but they were the first shareware games to really successfully copy the Sierra style.

Anyone remember Hugo?

I only had/played Hugo 3 and I remember I got stuck about one hour into the game and despite trying many times I couldn't get past it (I recall knowing what I had to do but it was typing it in correctly that was holding me back - just couldn't get the wording right, I think).

Yeah, these games were the first adventure games I ever had. I had played Transylvania on Apple II earlier at school, but Hugo's House of Horror's was the first one I ever had at home and the one where I really came to love the genre. They're not much in hindsight, but they were the first shareware games to really successfully copy the Sierra style.

I only played Hugo 3. I think by that point I already owned Quest For Glory 1, so I'm not sure why I was turning to Hugo. I think I liked the colours and the simplicity of it.

Did you have the full version of the game or the shareware? I remember playing it half a dozen times and each time I'd get to that damn boulder and it was blocking the way and I couldn't get past it... but in this video the boulder isn't even blocking the path. I assume it's because I had a shareware version. What's your memory of it?

While they may have been giant piles of garbage, I loved both Phantasmagoria and its Sequel.

600full-phantasmagoria-screenshot.jpg

phantasmagoria_a_puzzle_of_flesh_04.jpg

And this one has a wonderful Story:

Lost Eden

Lost_Eden.jpg

Ah, Lost Eden! It had terrible voice acting but amazing graphics at the time, and a very cool score:

Reminds me of this band I can't remember the name of... and I can't even get Google to help me name the band.

The Black Dahlia

One of my favourite FMVs. I am actually surprised it wasn't mentioned so far.

Black_Dahlia_Coverart.png

15257-black-dahlia-windows-screenshot-detective-merylos.jpg

Yes, I remember this one very well along with Ripper, which was the FMV adventure from Take 2 that came before BD.

Ripper_Coverart.png

Ripper also has some notoriously hard puzzles and a few wonky action mini-games, but you can set the difficulty on the action bits to easy mode and breeze through them, or just use a cheat code to skip them entirely. It was ragged on for some bad acting, particularly from Christopher Walken, but personally I still get a kick out of the performances, even Walken's. A few interesting notes about it -- it has a young Paul Giamatti from when he was a total unknown and sporting an afro puff hairdo, a young unknown John Ventimiglia (Artie Bucco on the Sopranos), and it was the last performance by Burgess Meredith before he died.

If you can find it, it's actually easier to get Ripper working than Black Dahlia because it was a DOS game so it works just fine using DOSBox.

one of my favorites was Loom. but as far as i know i'm the only one to play it :)

LOOM_Cover_Art.jpg

Loom.png

Loom is actually pretty well-known as it's a LucasArts game. :P

Since somebody already mentioned Inherit the Earth and Beneath a Steel Sky, here's one that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. Countdown:

04661170428102477482.jpg

There's also Companions of Xanth. This actually introduced me to the whole of Piers Anthony's Xanth books.

31242592845292562414.jpg

All these pages and no love for Conquests of Camelot, or The Colonel's Bequest, or Conquests of the Longbow?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRLgOempRf8E8H4_k7W2BhTCsSNyVubGKexMXWeZLtOwaQ2sEU0images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaFXA-zpO7yOuePg8jf4D9COKv1lhviyGFjse1iaDWA3wsymadcAimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLTLNjyZue_LzI_qxs3UDxbqvpxdTKpOpBREaW_Ij9KXuJV1t1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3d64ivyR3OJhv75G-R64STBi8dPhZRpueMTPU8749oTTsE7UGimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRK1bXUsDivo-v-bPBh7q-8TKiHxPusRfXb5CYMCJMFunVECAbcimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdyRRTtecqiRi5PqIB8Nx2xuUsYGqlTaeppiGHTUCU1IMffVL9

Robin_Hood_Sierra_01.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMTqErILgL0T-xgNH7gnvmrOyckmR8AMO-uZ9RX5VuB5gZQQbN

Hmmm I can not believe no one mentioned this one yet.

142413-ripley-s-believe-it-or-not-the-riddle-of-master-lu-dos-screenshot.png

Ripley's Believe It or Not!: The Riddle of Master Lu

This one is a great Adventure game and most people do not even know this game. Yes it was released in 1995 and yes its now hard to find. But if you do play it. Its a fantastic Point and Click Adventure with good puzzles and a nice story.

Holy cow, I still have the box for this game in my closet. It really is a great game! The majority of the puzzles were too hard for me at the time, but it was still a ton of fun. I loved the puzzle with the turtle with a candle on its back...

I recently played through donna: avenger of blood, and its a pretty amazing game. You play as a vampire and you have blood points (reminiscent of vampire: the masquerade). You spend those points to use powers which can be used in puzzles (like mind reading, or super strength). The game is looong, and for a freeware game its mammoth sized. It has a good deal of nudity and controversial concepts... so not for kids. But the story has quite a bit of depth and stays interesting the whole way through. Maybe what surprised me most is how good the puzzle design is. Fun challenging and logical puzzles provide for lots of entertainment.. theres even a neat hint system where you use up cigarrettes that you buy to take a breather and think of a hint. If you like games like gabriel knight (and youre also not easily offended) this game is an absolute must-play. Donna: avenger of blood can be found here.

gabinet.jpg

I haven't read every page of this thread, but I searched and couldn't find any mention of AGS game Life of D. Duck. There are two games. The first is pretty short, but the second one is of a pretty decent length.

The dialogue and art is intentionally whimsical crappy and a major part of this game, so if that isn't your cup of tea, this game is not for you. If that doesn't put you off though, the games are free and the puzzles are mostly well done, so they're well worth a play through.

mill.png

Two Games that had many flaws but i enjoyed a lot were Rex Nebular and Under a Killing Moon!

Everyone's heard of Under a Killing Moon. I agree that it has some flaws, like the paper scrap puzzles and the thing in the hotel suite. It's otherwise a very good game though.

I'll pitch one in that I haven't seen mentioned here:

The White Chamber

wc_cover_0.png

A young girl wakes to find herself inside a strange glowing coffin, in a dark room. Who is she? What is this place? Why is she here? As she explores the warped environment she finds herself trapped within, she must search for answers, all of which will lead her closer and closer to the white chamber and the truth it holds.

wc_ss1_thumb.png wc_ss2_thumb.png wc_ss4_thumb.png

WC-Torture_thumb.png

(Click Thumbnails for full image)

A buddy of mine had the above wallpaper on his desktop, and when I asked what it was, he gave me a look that said 'I believed in your true gamer heritage, but you've failed me'.

Or, maybe it was just one that said 'WHUT'. Anyway, he pushed me back into my room, brought up the website, and told me to play it or else. So, I did. And I highly recommend it to anyone who likes a Sci-fi horror in an adventure game setting.

The White Chamber is completely free to play, and can be downloaded from Studio Trophis.

Thank you very very much for the suggestion Ronin! I took the time to try this game last weekend, got the space ending, and here's my review of the game:

"Whaaat?"

That is all. xD

The Dark Eye, I know it's been mentioned already, but it's one of my favorite adventure games. The atmosphere really makes you feel like you're in Poe's world.

Last legends of Legend Entertainment! Death Gate & Shannara

Death_Gate.jpg

Shannara_Coverart.png

Man i just finished playing Death Gate! and callahans crosstime salloon! i think legend entertainment games are my favorite- top picks next to the lucas arts games.

http://www.gameswin.biz/gameen.php?id=2115 also ill contribute this heavens dawn looks interesting based of the screenshots,and unheard of.

Also Yahtzee crowshaw if youve heard of him is doing letsplays of old adventure games the latest one

Future wars,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj087mlxIsY&feature=g-u-u can be sweary but funny.

Rama

Based on the books by Arthur C. Clarke (he actually makes appearances in the game, explaining why you died for instance), it's still one of my favorites due to the excellent setting and atmosphere. Combined with the writing of Clarke, the prerendered screens and the HQ captured video of the actors superimposed on it, it really captured a feeling of alienness. The only low part was a timed puzzle at the end. Now I want to play it again. :(

A word of warning though: Even though it's an adventure game, it's more about the exploration of an alien setting than anything else. And there's a lot of math puzzles. A lot. And difficult if you don't know how. As in do maths in base 16 and base 8.

Still, HIGHLY recommended by me just to experience it.

Holy cow, I did not expect to see this here. This is one of the games I talk about to this day as being a pillar of my childhood. The game came out in 1996, so I guess I must have been around around 13 or 14 years old when I played it. I had no concept of other number systems besides base 10, and, as you said, there are math puzzles in base 8 and base 16.

I remember being so determined to solve Rama's puzzles that I sat there for hours on end, trying to find patterns in the information they presented about each species. I remember having pages and pages of notes and drawings. Eventually I figured out that they all counted differently than humans. From there, I taught myself how to count in base 8 and base 16, even though I didn't realize that was what I was doing at the time.

I was afraid of math as a kid. I was slow to learn how to tell time on an analog clock, and even slower to master multiplication tables, which resulted in a lot of self-consciousness about underperforming at school. I wasn't figuring out number systems to pass a test or to compete with my classmates, though. I was doing it so I could understand the aliens, and to advance the game story. When I learned about different number systems later in my educational career, I realized what I had accomplished when playing Rama.

I work in games now, largely due to experiences I had like this as a kid. It is one of my secret hopes to work on a game that has as big an impact on someone as games like Rama had on me.

Well! That was unexpectedly sappy. Regardless, great pick, Lars-Erik!

The Journeyman Project trilogy. For some reason no one I talk to EVER seems to have heard of these, but IMO they're brilliant. The first one is a bit rough around the edges, but 2 and 3... mmmh. Love.

I played them so much - I remember liking the Pegasus Prime version of the first one, where they had the free look mechanic from the third game. It was a little more fluid, but the second and third were the best. I loved the greatest hits of Geno Andrews! There was a fan project to remake the first game again using the Source engine, but last I heard it had been canned for multiple reasons.

I really enjoyed Orion Burger when I was younger

126573-orion-burger-dos-screenshot-title-screens.gif

mmm them burgers is people.

Also, there was an obscure Playstation FMV/adventure game called

. It was only released in Japan, so I only understood a little bit of it when I played (my Japanese is pretty terrible).

Also, it's been mentioned but Hotel Dusk and Touch Detective are pretty great too. I was excited when I found some adventure games for the DS - they're good for flights or travel.

I almost forgot Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster (starring Tim Curry as the depraved Dr. Frankenstein). I think I first discovered this through a demo on a cd that came with a Mac Addict magazine...

207638-frankenstein-through-the-eyes-of-the-monster-windows-screenshot.jpg

Here goes... I don't think I saw any of these mentioned yet - (edit: nope, Countdown get a shout out a few posts up.)

First up "Rise of the Dragon" from Dynamix (1990)

"(the game)...was given a MA-17 rating by the Videogame Rating Council, most likely for profanity, references to a fictional illicit drug, cross-dressing, prostitution and partial female nudity." All elements sorely missing from adventure games these days.

Highly recommended if you've never played it!

Rise_of_the_Dragon_Game_Cover.JPG

Shortly followed by the slightly less impressive "Heart of China" (1993)

Heartofchina.jpg

"Countdown" (1990) is pretty creepy, but I recall having a blast playing it all the way through -

564611_45699_front.jpg564611_45699_back.jpg

Lastly, "The Dark Half" based on the Stephen King novel was kind of fun but quite easy and rather short from what I remember -

577021_46355_front.jpg577021_46355_back.jpg

Since somebody already mentioned Inherit the Earth and Beneath a Steel Sky, here's one that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. Countdown:

04661170428102477482.jpg

Countdown! I've been trying to think of that game for ages. I couldn't remember a single thing about it. Nothing. The visuals though are burned into my head, just nothing specific. A family friend was big into game trading with people in early 90s and he gave me a big box of them when I got a computer as a kid. This was one of them. I now have three tabs of info to read over in my browser. Thanks!

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet but they are really good.

Teen Agent

I didn't finish this one, but it was very fun.

teen_agent-3.jpg

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/teenagent

Can't find a download link for this.

The Adventures of Willy Beamish (I think)

That image should say most of it.

willy_beamish,_the_adventures_of.gif

I can't find the third one. It had this purplish GUI, looked a lot like scumm, about this 80s kid that needed a record or something. He had a Red jacket. I don't know.

EDIT: Oop. Found it.

Bud Tucker in Double Trouble

Great game

tucker-2-full.png

I bought that game when it was released, but after installing I was completely unable to boot up my computer. I ended up having to reinstall Windows and I think I threw away the game, since it's nowhere to be found now. I remember thinking it looked awesome from the box art, but haven't seen much mention of it anywhere.

Lots of good memories in this thread.

Anyone remember Normality? It was an interesting real-time first-person adventure with a raycasting engine. Not as good as Tex Murphy but still a pretty unique game.

2009_11_28_normality2.jpg

Ah! I loved this game :)

I bought that game when it was released, but after installing I was completely unable to boot up my computer. I ended up having to reinstall Windows and I think I threw away the game, since it's nowhere to be found now. I remember thinking it looked awesome from the box art, but haven't seen much mention of it anywhere.

I had the Mac version, I think a friend of the family gave it to us along with Buried in Time.

I also have a little story attached to those games: little over 4 years ago, I got a job doing QA for a small software company in my hometown. They were formerly Disney Interactive before Disney shut them down and they formed their own company. A lot of the people who work there also used to work at Sanctuary Woods, and it turned out that my new boss in QA also worked on both Buried in Time and Orion Burger (among other titles).

An excellent freeware game: The Strange and Somewhat Sinister Tale of the House at Desert Bridge by Jonas Kyratzes.

Read about The Strange and Somewhat Sinister Tale of the House at Desert Bridge

Download The Strange and Somewhat Sinister Tale of the House at Desert Bridge (40 MiB)

A most imaginative, most interesting game, containing a whimsey which covers a deeper, somewhat sinister underbelly, showing how even the most enchanting of people and places can have a sad side.

Sign in to follow this