Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

I skimmed through most of this topic and noticed a ton of games from my youth!

I ran into this series a little while ago called the Blackwell Legacy! Pretty good, there's three games and a fourth is being made soon!

But for those a little tight on cash you can always try out the free Ben Jordan Paranormal investigator games!

http://www.grundislavgames.com/benjordan/

They're quick games and some of my friends have had fun with them.

benjordan_cover.png

One of these days I'd like to find a copy of blazing dragons and sit down to play that.

I find it odd no one has mentioned discworld yet!

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but I loved Ripper back in the day. Mostly I loved it for the Chris Walken and Blue Oyster Cult, but other than the non-organic puzzles I think it was a pretty interesting game.

I'm gonna add another recommendation in for Toonstruck. I wouldn't exactly call it an unknown game since most people familiar with the genre seem to at least be aware of it, but it is certainly criminally underplayed. It's a solid adventure with a fantastic cast and great production values, and it's compatible with ScummVM so it's easy to run on a modern system.

So many games but only a few have really stuck with me over the years...

I liked Zork: Grand Inquisitor more than the other Zork games.. it is, by far, the weirdest and quirkiest Zork game and it's a kind of anti-Myst game. The others just creep me out.

0.jpg

Blade Runner.. one of my pre-Grim Fandango favourites! Mind you, I hadn't heard of the movie until after playing it (that's weird, right?)... I never got bored even when I was stuck.. full of atmospheric sounds and scenes. At the time, I thought the graphics were the best ever.

477_5.jpg

Finished Toonstruck last year. It was pretty cool... I'd much rather replay DOTT before replaying Toonstruck though.

Not sure if it's technically an adventure game (strategy-adventure?) but did anyone ever play the original DUNE game from 1992? My copy came in that double-box with The 7th Guest.

dune1_screenshot3.jpg

I think I might go play Beneath A Steel Sky now...

Anyone ever played 'Blazing Dragons' on the PlayStation? It was a pretty unique scenario, It was set in a medieval setting, but where the dragons are the heroes, and the human knights (Lancelot etc.) and Merlin were the villains. You played as a young squire vying for the heart of the princess. I loved it as a kid, but could never finish it. I bought it online and finished it last year. Good times.

Anyone ever played 'Blazing Dragons' on the PlayStation? It was a pretty unique scenario, It was set in a medieval setting, but where the dragons are the heroes, and the human knights (Lancelot etc.) and Merlin were the villains. You played as a young squire vying for the heart of the princess. I loved it as a kid, but could never finish it. I bought it online and finished it last year. Good times.

I saw an online stream of that a while back. It looked pretty interesting.

yep posted that a page of two back. I'd like to pick up a copy to play sometime.

There was an OFFICIAL java mobile phone adventure game based on Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy that was not based on the infocom game. It came out around 2005 and was released by Starwave. You can play it using the .jad file in a java emulator. I use SJBoy:

http://shal.wen.ru/mostwanted/sjboynew.xhtml

927297_20050426_embed004.jpg

Here is a review on the game:

http://mobicritic.com/2007/07/10/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-the-mobile-game/

So many amazing games mentioned here, was so pleased to see Toonstruck and Shadow of Memories mentioned, brilliant games, I still have a windows 95 pc just incase I want to play Toonstruck or any of the below =)

I didnt see Broken Sword mentioned anywhere, but I wanted to mention it as it was amazing (well 1 and 2 were) and to anyone interested a kickstarter for Broken Sword 5 has been started few days ago, they have the original team and are going back to 2d, go check it out! And please support it!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/165500047/broken-sword-the-serpents-curse-adventure

As a kid/teen I loved all the below (more will follow in next post too), and the obvious ones of Zelda, Monkey Island and Grim Fandango but these are hardly never heard of games =) I recommend any of these games though.

broken sword.jpg

titanic.jpg

haunted house.jpg

578d00253ef12_brokensword.jpg.02b0d01c50

titanic.jpg.49a3a8e5cf6a72c1c053cfe202bb

578d002545a3b_hauntedhouse.jpg.bb81e95ad

I almost forgot Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster (starring Tim Curry as the depraved Dr. Frankenstein). I think I first discovered this through a demo on a cd that came with a Mac Addict magazine...

Yeah, Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster is hands down my favorite Adventure game. It's wonderfully melodramatic, some of the puzzles were unbelievably gruesome, and it's worth a play through just to watch Tim Curry Ham it up as much as humanly possible while somehow managing to be weirdly menacing. Most of the puzzles are a little Mist-y (read: hard as crap), but anything is tolerable in a game where you can probe a child's brain to hear his last, desperate screams before Tim Curry murders him.

Speaking of Murder, Frankenstein never hesitated to murder the ever loving crap out of you if you weren't careful. It makes for a nicely tense experience.

curryslab.jpg

frankie4-095.png

207636-frankenstein-through-the-eyes-of-the-monster-windows-screenshot.jpg

Has anyone mentioned Legend's Gateway 2 game already?

It was so long ago that I forgot about it.

_gjQauAXOUk

I enjoyed "the dame was loaded"

Dame_was_loaded_cdi_cover.jpg

tdwl.jpg

2009_12_12_dame.jpg

A really old fashioned 30's detective... it felt a bit like pulp by charles bukowski that I was reading at the time. I think this was originally an cd-i release but it was ported to pc aswell. Somehow I have a soft spot for FMV adventures, I think it dates back to phantasmagoria, gabriel knight 2 and 7th guest.

Dune 1 was amazing as a kid. I loved the cross genre blend they did there. They went outside the box before the box was even a thing.

I'm gonna add another recommendation in for Toonstruck. I wouldn't exactly call it an unknown game since most people familiar with the genre seem to at least be aware of it, but it is certainly criminally underplayed. It's a solid adventure with a fantastic cast and great production values, and it's compatible with ScummVM so it's easy to run on a modern system.

Thank you for mentioning that Toonstruck is ScummVM-compatible! I had somehow missed that information. It's one of my all-time favourites and I haven't replayed it for years, so I'll be digging out the box as soon as I can.

I think you're right, people are generally aware of it but very few played it at the time and it's remained a relative obscurity in that respect. The game has a wonderfully silly world to explore, and the puzzle structure revolving around the Cutifier was clever. There was fine voice acting from the likes of Dan Castellaneta, Tress MacNeille and Frank Welker (all of those are now Futurama voices, in fact) - so it fully invested in the kind of 'toon' world it was seeking to capture. A lot of effort and production went into it and it's just a shame it wasn't the hit it should have been, for whatever reason. It came out at a time when people had just started to sound the death knell for the genre, but it had such obvious broad appeal . I'm looking forward to replaying it so I can get all the jokes I probably missed when I was 11 or so.

Not quite in the same league but certainly worth a mention is The Feeble Files, from the following year. From the same UK studio who created the Simon the Sorcerer games (the first two of which were very much in the SCUMM mold and recommended, but already very well known). It's a comedy sci-fi epic (4 CDs originally!), and terribly ambitious, even down to the interface (it includes a fully-voiced encyclopedia containing virtually everything about the game world you might wish to know), so some sections of the game come off far better than others. I've just remembered the horrible arcade machine part on disc 3. I enjoyed it a lot at the time, despite having to phone the hint line on several occasions.

It's available from GOG and ScummVM compatible, anyway.

feeble-0-full.png

9696d84441ca108a7bd0d478c64039381bb9ddb6.jpg

05bd29591af35ab84a822665fb9eea7f7d539270.jpg

So many games but only a few have really stuck with me over the years...

I liked Zork: Grand Inquisitor more than the other Zork games.. it is, by far, the weirdest and quirkiest Zork game and it's a kind of anti-Myst game. The others just creep me out.

0.jpg

[/img]

"In case of adventure, break glass". :) Love that game.

Dunno if anybody has said this, but I love Blackwell games and other adventure games from Wadjet Eye Games. But mainly Blackwell games(Resonance is great too).

Warcraft: Lord of the Clans was an unreleased adventure by Blizzard.

Technically this is not an adventure, as it's just the video of a playthrough, but I suppose it's still of interest for this thread.

aZ6tg1Id6-c

I only saw the first two parts of the playthrough; yet I think it could have competed with the big ones qualiy-wise.

Not sure if anybody mentioned it yet (didn’t see any images by browsing through this thread). But Faust 7 Games of the Soul is a pretty unique and somewhat obscure adventure game.

faust01.jpg

3sLZytieiz0

I’m actually playing it right now. Unfortunately the game has a lot of compatibility issues with Windows XP. I’m currently stuck at some point due to some of those issues and I’m not sure if there’s any remedy short of installing a Windows 98/ME partition or playing it on an old computer.

If anyone played the game recently on XP and has any tips on how to get by the speedy pointer issue let me know.

EDIT: I wanted to add some information about the game now that I got through the technical snafus and finished it.

First if you do face technical difficulties in regards to the voice skipping try to adjust the DirectX sound hardware acceleration to minimum, which seems to fix the problem. I didn’t manage to eliminate the problem of the cut-scenes occasionally skipping in sound, but usually when you repeat them again through the menu or by re-loading they play out nicely, you may not face these issues at all given your set up.

If you are playing an un-patched version of the game, be warned that there is a hot-spot in Episode 4 that is randomly on a wall instead of its proper place, either install a patch or start clicking on the wall to the right of where the hot-spot was supposed to be ( hot-spot is a bathroom drawer).

I found no way to slow down the pointer besides artificially slowing down my CPU by overloading, which just made it go slower and skipping around the place so I don’t recommend that. You do get used to it after awhile and adjust your mouse movements accordingly, for the few puzzles that need mouse precision like the one I was stuck on, just be patient and eventually the game will read it, you may have to be really patient though.

Needless to say if you do have a Windows98/ME partition or installation in a VM environment, or if it is easy for you to do so, install the game there, this game was one of the hardest adventures for me to run on XP, it falls on that era that is after ScummVM and before XP and compatibility mode can only do so much.

Now about the game it self.

The game has a surprisingly mature story and deals with the darkest aspects of humanity, if you are easily offended don’t play this game, though not that visually offensive it deals with very dark themes.

The voice acting is a mixed bag, with the character of Mephesto (which is probably the voice you hear most in the game) a shinning exception with exceptional voice acting equally comparable to bigger modern productions.

Faust is a challenging game, if you are a Myst veteran you’d be right at home, but if you’re not used to the puzzle heavy first person adventures you may be in for a rough ride, the game offers a misguided ‘hint’ system in the form of a certain inventory object, personally I didn’t find any use of it and I only ever managed to use it once when it wasn’t essential without it giving me any hints, you’re better off ignoring it.

To end this edit since it turned out rather long, I recommend this game to any adventure fan that is not afraid of a challenge and is looking for an adventure with a mature storyline and dealing with dark themes (with a dose of comedy).

does anyone remember teen agent? i downloaded it over 12 years ago when i was on my freeware-shareware kick.

teenagent-c.jpg

teenagent.jpg

Teen Agent is an adventure game in which a teenager is picked to solve the mystery of the disappearing gold. Captured by two men in dark glasses and long coats, you are sent to a training camp for secret agents.

the game was released as a commercial game in Poland, with full Polish voice acting for the CD-ROM version. The English version was released as freeware shortly after

I've been reading a Let's Play of Dangan Ronpa which is a Japanese adventure game that's like a cross between Phoenix Wright and Battle Royale. It's pretty recent, but has no English translation, so the Let's Player is translating while they post. It's really well written, genuinely clever and has some of the best dark humour I've seen in a long time.

The setup is there are 15 high school students, each exceptionally talented in their particular field - except for the main character who was selected by lottery, making him exceptionally "lucky" - and they've been enrolled in an incredibly prestigious new school-. This lasts about five seconds as they wake up to find themselves locked inside the school, prisoner of a sadistic teddy bear and an unseen mastermind who informs them that if they ever want to get out they must kill another student without getting caught. The gameplay itself alternates between socializing with classmates all of whom are interesting and varied, investigating murders and holding trials. The trials themselves are made up of minigames representing debating, deduction, arguing and ultimately solving each crime.

The LP has a few chapters to go but the twists are really starting to ramp up in frequency, and the game is self aware enough to know what you're expecting and throw you all sorts of curveballs. Even so the game never asks you to accept anything without evidence and all the conclusions are logically deductible from the evidence. Lastly the music is really good - it's by Masafumi Takada who you might be familiar with if you've played Suda51's games.

Here's a non-spoilery video of the game in action. The guy involved isn't any of the characters in the game, I thin it's just an intro cutscene to set the mood.

does anyone remember teen agent? i downloaded it over 12 years ago when i was on my freeware-shareware kick.

teenagent-c.jpg

teenagent.jpg

Teen Agent is an adventure game in which a teenager is picked to solve the mystery of the disappearing gold. Captured by two men in dark glasses and long coats, you are sent to a training camp for secret agents.

the game was released as a commercial game in Poland, with full Polish voice acting for the CD-ROM version. The English version was released as freeware shortly after

Holy shit buddy. I used to play this as a kid and constantly think back to try and remember what the name of the game was. Now I know. Thanks!

Sign in to follow this