Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

I didn't notice any of them mentioned here, but about 9 years back, I started collecting (and replaying) some of the Tsunami adventure games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsunami_Games

Tsunami was made up of largely former Sierra employees.

Ringworld: Revenge of the Patriarch was my introduction to Ringworld, and Tsunami. In one of my science classes in highschool, I designed a model of the zero gravity bed in it.

23925-ringworld-revenge-of-the-patriarch-dos-screenshot-the-bridges.gif

http://www.mobygames.com/game/ringworld-revenge-of-the-patriarch

I assume it was successful. They released a sequel: Return to Ringworld

415027-return-to-ringworld-dos-screenshot-after-attack-on-canyon.png

http://www.mobygames.com/game/return-to-ringworld

Jim Walls made a game called Blue Force

7569-blue-force-dos-screenshot-in-actions.gif

http://www.mobygames.com/game/blue-force

After a few other little action and strategy games, they got into FMV games. The only one of those I bought, was Silent Steel, which takes place in a nuclear sub.

556098-silent-steel-windows-screenshot-the-entire-game-runs-in-a.jpg

http://www.mobygames.com/game/silent-steel

I guess they made another detective game called Flash Traffic: City of Angels where you're with the FBI, and you have to stop a nuclear bomb from exploding. It may have been the first of it's kind.

195168-flash-traffic-city-of-angels-dos-screenshot-nuclear-bomb-in.png

They also made what I guess was their version of LSL called Man Enough. Or it might be more like those Japanese dating sims.

240746-man-enough-dos-screenshot-talking-with-kellie-s.png

--------------------------

I think the only Sierra game I'm missing, is the talkie version of EcoQuest 2: Lost Secret of the Rainforest

567817-lost-secret-of-the-rainforest-dos-screenshot-up-the-tree-the.png

Archibald Applebrook

I think it may be available in german only though. It's been ages since i've played it but i do remember it to be quite funny...

hqdefault.jpg

Not sure what people have/haven't heard of. But has anyone else played Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb? I really liked that one. I played it as a kid.

YES, this was a great adventure!

inherit_the_earth_for_windows-111501-3.jpeg

Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb is actually available at GOG.com these days.

Here is my selection (some were already mentioned):

Bloodnet (more like RPG, but what the hell):

bloodnet548.jpg

Inherit the Earth: Quest for the Orb

inherit_the_earth_for_windows-111501-2.jpeg

Bureau 13

36-30.png

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Curse of Enchantia is an old gem. I think it is abandonware nowadays.

curse_of_enchantia.png

What a blast from the past. That one is definitely a gem and i loved it!

CORE had some great releases and not only adventures and i LOVED the logo they had at that time.

Thorsten

The interesting thing about this thread is one of time. At the time of release I knew most of the games on this list, but i had forgotten many of them over the years. At the same time, there are games my friends and I played that no-one remembers any more, but were awesome in their time. Also, "Best Adventure Game No One’s Ever Heard Of" is a bit of an oxymoron, since if no one had ever heard of it, it wouldn't have been made in the first place. Bearing that bizarre tangent in mind, here are my offerings.

Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective; volumes 1-3. Very interesting games that were puzzle and dialogue heavy (as you might expect). the Actor playing Holmes is pretty good and the overall theme is very much in line with the original source material. Hard, as I remember, I haven't loaded them up in a while. It took me forever to find them again after so many years, but I haven't gotten to play them yet.

Also, it was popular enough to get a two CD sequel from Sierra, but I rarely hear anyone mention it; Shivers. It's the game that showed me that atmosphere in a game can be a greater enemy than whatever is trying to kill you. The areas are the normal, static affair, but the visual presentation is great and the ambient sounds are creepy as hell.

That's my two cents. :P

Most of the old games you people have dug up in this thread might not be the little gem you remember it to be.

Some of the games may even be total turds.

I begin with

-Legend Of Kyrandia 1,2,3

-Innocent until caught 2 ("Guilty")

-Normality

A lot of the games mentioned in this thread can be best classified as "aberystwyths", and best left in the fuzzy part of our brain responsible for nostalgic yearnings and warm fuzzy feelings of childhood joy.

On the affirmative side though, I'd like to reiterate two serious contenders for "underrated" category:

Toonstruck - incredibly well conceived and well written puzzles, dialogue, humor, acting and animations.

Torin's Passage - I consider this a gem.

I find this post irritating because you're imposing your opinion as a blanket statement for others.

In my opinion, Toonstruck is one of the most overrated adventure games, largely because I saw and read Who Framed Roger Rabbit when they came out. "Predictable" was the word I'd use if I thought "copy cat" was too immature. It's well produced, but nothing that I hadn't read/heard/or seen before. Torin's Passage was just dull, but that's mostly because it's "adventure-games-by-the-numbers."

All of this is opinion, just like yours and everyone else's on this forum. Video games are, and should be, exceptionally personal things. Adventure games are more so than most others because they require so much mental energy on the part of the player. Don't impose your experiences on others; since you didn't have their experience playing the game. Maybe in a vacuum it's possible to call a game good or bad based on static criteria; however I am a human, and I let my emotions, intellect, and energy skew my perspectives. To me, that's what makes games worth playing.

Sign in to follow this