Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

Way back in the day, I really liked this point and click called Dare 2 Dream by Epic Megagames. It was REALLY hard finding any screenshots of the game whatsoever, but luckily someone on YouTube did a Let's Play:

It doesn't look like much by today's art standards, but the nightmare landscapes you see in the screens depicted in the video were SUPER CREEPY AND AWESOME to me as a kid. I would get really inspired by them and sit in my room and try to map out what a world would be like if it were made of MY dreams and nightmares.

The idea of the game, from what I can remember, is that the protagonist is having really lucid dreams and nightmares, and the real world and nightmare world are sort of blending and becoming indistinguishable to him until he finally just ends up getting pulled into his dream world.

So naturally, when Tim Schafer came along with Psychonauts--a game where you could explore the world inside a person's head and "live their nightmares"--I was already primed!

It's interesting looking at this game now and thinking that it was the start of a company that would eventually bring us Gears of War.

I am not sure if it fits, but "To the Moon" was an amazing story. Absolutely beautiful.

Re: Scooby Doo - I've had that for years and not played it, because I can't handle the tedium of using a pad to control the pointer. Does anyone know a way of getting around this? I had hopes for the tablet, but no joy.

Also, get this in your minds and know it:

COMMANDER BLOOD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wpPavr5-zI

But my very favourite game is...

STAR CONTROL 2 - get a remake for modern computers of various kinds here for FREE. PLAY IT. IT IS THE BEST.

369104-the-bizarre-adventures-of-woodruff-and-the-schnibble-windows.png

http://www.mobygames.com/game/bizarre-adventures-of-woodruff-and-the-schnibble

http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=1129

"Despite critical acclaim, however, Woodruff failed to find a mass audience and turned out to be a financial disappointment for Sierra, eventually slipping into obscurity behind most of the company's better-known titles."

One of my favorite adventure games of all time.

Give it a try if you like old-school pixely stuff; it has humor too, some bizarre puzzles as well.

Someone will have heard of every game, but there are some lesser known ones. A few years back I began trying to find original copies of every adventure game for DOS. More recently I began tracking down Win 3.1 titles.

Many of the higher production value games have already been listed here, however there are a few that were missed.

One of my absolute favorites is The Neverhood.

6736-468x-neverhood9.jpg

100% claymation, a kooky soundtrack by Terry S. Taylor, and a hilarious storyline. A sequel of sorts was released as an action platformer for the PS1 titled Skull Monkeys. Robot Bill is epic and one of the most memorable characters of the era for me.

Hell: A Cyberpunk Adventure

foto+hell_+a+cyberpunk+thriller.jpg

The graphics are great for the time, although the controls can definitely be awkward. I actually played through this on the 3DO, so maybe the PC is smoother. Dennis Hopper, Grace Jones, and Stephanie Seymour provide their voices, and in some cases likenesses to the game. Ultimately though, what really made the game memorable for me was the storyline itself. Hell is a very real place in this world, and the government has a contract with Hell to send people it doesn't like there. Your one of the agents that sends people to Hell until one night your fellow agents come to take you away.

DarkSeed (sequel is skippable)

darkseed-8.jpg

Best played for it's graphic style which was heavily inspired by the father of 'Alien', HR Giger. The game/puzzle design can be confusing with a few overly convoluted segments. It is not a great game, but it is a very stylistic game that is worth a play through,m even if just using a walkthrough to experience the story.

Blazing Dragons

Released fort PS1 and Saturn.

Blazing_Dragons_014_(US-NTSC).jpg

This game falls squarely in the realm of the Discworld series (also not mentioned above, but maybe because everyone has played them?). As far as console "only" adventures go, this is one of the better. It tends to walk the line of humor from Discworld with a style from Toonstruck (also a must play that is not listed anywhere above, but again, probably due to being well known).

Lighthouse

475_2.jpg

This 'myst clone' separates itself from most of the pack in several ways. First of all, there are multiple ways to experience the game. The intro alone has 2 or 3 different sequence of events that can occur. The world itself has a DaVincian style and there is a clear cut antagonist who will attempt to sabotage your progress.

Other games that are definitely worth playing:

The Last Express

Bad Mojo

Normality

Toonstruck

Discworld 1 & 2

Woodruff & The Schnibble of Azimuth (edit: looks like that just got posted!)

Unfortunately I could probably list another 30 games, but I'll keep it as concise and focused around my favorites as possible.

Why are you spamming the forum with SC2 posts? It is more of a strategy game than an adventure game... so maybe posting about it in a thread that isn't specifically about unheard of adventure games would be more appropriate? Or maybe only posting once and seeing if anyone cares? Just a suggestion....

And even if you do choose to see it as an adventure game, repeatedly posting about it over and over isn't going to do any good.

How about Veil Of Darkness?

Veil5.jpg

Granted, it was as much an action game as an adventure and could be considered one of the forerunners of Diablo as it was isometric-based, but still, I thought it was great for the atmosphere and the design. And it certainly was maddening enough in certain portions to be considered an adventure game *coughhedgemazecoughchoke*

[del]It's not a strategy game in the slightest.[/del]*

*this post edited from a more jocular yet offensive one.

[del]Rather than citing some websites, why don't you provide some argument? Space exploration, conversation trees, 1v1 top-down combat, puzzles... Where's the strategy game? SC1 was a strategy game obviously.[/del]*

*this post edited down from a more confrontational one.

I'm not going to debate a games genre with you and further derail the topic. Your standards for what comprises an adventure game are obviously a lot lower than average, and that is fine with me.

Please continue making us all laugh with your hilarious posts.

A pretty funny and strange game most of you will never have heard of is '1 1/2 Ritter - Auf der Suche nach der hinreißenden Herzelinde' (English Movie Title: '1½ Knights - In Search of the Ravishing Princess Herzelinde'). Daedalic's second adventure game after Edna & Harvey: The Break Out. It's the official game adaption of a german medieval fantasy movie staring Til Schweiger (Sgt. Hugo Stiglitz in Inglourious Basterds).

Like most movie adaption to a mediorce movie it struggles to use scenes from the movie. But the parts and puzzles they added to the movie plot are much better. Most reviewers stated the game ended up being better than the movie, the main complain being the bad voice acting performance of the movie's main actor ruining a decent game. But since the movie wasn't very successful and Warner hasn't produced an English version of the movie as of yet, it's very unlikely that the game will ever see an international release.

If you understand German and happen to find a copy of this game you should definitly try it. It's written by Jan 'Poki' Müller-Michaelis, the author of Edna & Harvey, The Whispered World, Harveys' New Eyes and Deponia, features the same style of wacky humor and a surprisingly long playtime.

112ritter_1.jpg 112ritter_5.jpg

I guess we officially have a "adventure games hipsters" thread.

I was thinking it but not saying it, haha.

I was playing adventure games when they weren't even invented yet.

Aristotlol, just quit, will you? Besides, The Ur-Quan Masters recreation of the game was done by its original creators, not by fans.

Aristotlol, just quit, will you? Besides, The Ur-Quan Masters recreation of the game was done by its original creators, not by fans.

Oh shoot, stupid me.

screen6.jpg

Out of Order. Very funny and very fun.

+1 for Out of Order. I stumbled on this game by mistake and downloaded it because I thought it was some kind of clever joke. Boy was I wrong. The graphics are crazy ugly, but the setting and puzzles are really interesting. Basically you're this teenager that suddenly gets teleported into an alien world along with his bedroom. You quickly discover that inhabitants are other kidnapped people and aliens, and that whomever's in charge is attempting to hypnotize everyone and follow strange orders.

Here's my pick:

DISCWORLD NOIR

dwnrpc0b.jpg

I stumbled on this game in a used video game store. Just looking the box sold me, which is no small feat. I then discovered that it was only released in Europe and that it was based on a series of books by Terry Pratchett. It's a very good introduction to the Discworld series and it's actually more interesting than the books in my opinion. You play the role of a private investigator in a dark fantasy world where beliefs become reality. You accept a case from a femme fatale and things don't go quite as expected, and soon you find yourself into a series of gruesome murders that you must solve. There's also a point around the third into the story where you gain special powers which greatly helps your investigation but also have some major drawbacks. Very fun.

Nice thread! I knew many of the titles mentioned, mainly from magazine reviews, but I haven't played most of them, in some cases because they weren't that easy to find and in other cases because I was busy playing better-known adventures I hadn't played yet. However, reading some recommendations here it seems that I'll have to give some of them a go... My contribution:

Scratches

Scratches2b.jpg

One of the adventures I've enjoyed the most in the last years. Great creepy atmosphere, even when more than the half of the day takes place during the day in a quite normal-looking house (the whole game takes place in the estate btw, so you can get part of the "I'm trapped here" feeling from the main -and only- character).

Amber: journeys beyond

amber3.gif

What one can take for a kind of ghost-hunting adventure with some eerie moments becomes a very interesting and original approach to ghost stories (and I don't want to say anything else to avoid spoilers :)).

I also loved Sanitarium, mentioned a couple of times already. It's divided in chapters and I found them somehow unbalanced (both in length and interest), but none of them is too weak and some of them are really memorable (the one where the screenshot posted by others come from being my favourite one).

Oh and someone mentioned Return of the Phantom. I don't think it's an outstanding game, but I've completed it twice and both times I enjoyed it a lot (it's already been a while though). I remember that both times it didn't take much longer than an afternoon/evening to complete it, so I guess there's not too much to lose.

Way back in the day, I really liked this point and click called Dare 2 Dream by Epic Megagames.

Dare to Dream was great. Hard to believe it was made by the same guy who did Gears of War. I'm pretty sure the Shareware version of that game was among the very first things I ever downloaded after getting my first shiny modem.

Way back in the day, I really liked this point and click called Dare 2 Dream by Epic Megagames.

Dare to Dream was great. Hard to believe it was made by the same guy who did Gears of War. I'm pretty sure the Shareware version of that game was among the very first things I ever downloaded after getting my first shiny modem.

Hey hey! Another person who played it! I knew they were out there, but you are officially the first one I've ever met.

The theme song for the game still gets stuck in my head to this very day. Just last year me and some guys on another forum I post in were checking out various freeware programs for composing music and were trying out a program called LMMS and posting little songs we had written with it. The song that I made was actually a blatant ripoff the D2D theme. It's kind of cheezy, and I'm certainly no DJ, but this was my Dare 2 Dream homage:

Cool that someone else here has played it!

Hey hey! Another person who played it! I knew they were out there, but you are officially the first one I've ever met.

/obscuresharewareadventureshighfives

Nice job on that theme as well. The instruments you used actually reminded me of those old Apogee side-scrolling platformer things.

A New Beginning, from Daedalus Entertainment. Not very pretty but wonderful, difficult riddles!

Dreamweb_cover.png

Dreamweb was the first game i bought for my PC:) ... and at that time i couldn't fix the mouse to work :P

In this game we play as serial killer :)

Dark_Earth_Coverart.png

Dark Earth was also one of my first games and probably first with 3D character models.

We must cure ourselves from mutation and (of course) save the remained world from darkness...

Sign in to follow this