Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

I was going to say Douglas Adams Starship Titanic but I'm pretty sure most people have heard of the title.

Yes, but I've never been able to find it and know nothing about it. So please, share stuff about it so I am motivated to keep looking.

I played "Return of the Phantom," which I thought was a really cool adventure game when I played it with my dad, but I unfortunately haven't gone back to verify if it was actually a good game or I just had "first adventure game" rose-colored glasses.

Oh well it was a game that came out in 1998, written by Douglas Adams and had voice work from Terry Jones and John Cleese of Monty Python. Mostly the game was remarkable for its artistic style.

It's all about the Starship Titanic crashing into earth into the main character house. It's pretty cool but people complain about puzzles difficulty.

Starship Titanic was great. I have a soft spot for it because I'm sure it's the first adventure game I played & finished (the first I can remember playing are Granny's Garden on BBC Micro or Dizzy Prince of the Yolkfolk on Amiga). I'm not sure I remember it being that difficult (I'd say "obscure" instead, I guess I liked Douglas Adams at the time), other than one or two puzzles I definitely cheated on with the strategy guide. I guess it was like a cross between Myst & Infocom in style. I'm sure the box came with some feelies, even. The extended text parser they used was a lot of fun at the time. The forums on the official site were the first I ever posted on!

I definitely second I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream, other than the end of the game which I didn't like ( I don't think I ever bothed to finish it). There's definitely a trend amongst adventure gamers I know personally that serious, Sci-Fi based games are less played, but I often think of them as the best (ironically, since I'm not a Sci-Fi fan by any means...)

St25thannivboxsm.jpg

Honestly I thought the Star Trek adventure games were great (25th Anniversary, Judgment Rites & Final Unity at least). I'm not sure that they're unheard of, but I know a few people that won't even consider playing them just because of the Star Trek franchise. Just as adventure games I think they're extremely worthy. I used to enjoy Nord and Bert Couldn't Make Head or Tail of It for the humour. Also as somebody mentioned, Discworld Noir, even though it was part of the awkward transition into 3D, I thought it was much more accessable to non-Pratchett fans, vs. the first two games in the series which I personally found unplayable...

For what it's worth, the original game called Fable was pretty good, again other than the dire ending which was just tacked on. I don't know if they just got cut part way through production. Shame really. I keep meaning to play Touché properly, so I have no idea if it's as good as I want to think it is. I like the idea from what I've played, anyway.

how about Hollywood Monsters? The 2nd game from Pendulo Studios, makers of the Runaway series. I never could find out if there was an english translation of this floating out there that reviewers received. The game always looked amazing to me. I've never played it

23967-hollywood-monsters-windows-screenshot-vampire-alerts.gif

Dark Earth was also one of my first games and probably first with 3D character models.

We must cure ourselves from mutation and (of course) save the remained world from darkness...

Thanks for reminding me that I still got to finish that one.

how about Hollywood Monsters? The 2nd game from Pendulo Studios, makers of the Runaway series. I never could find out if there was an english translation of this floating out there that reviewers received. The game always looked amazing to me. I've never played it

As far as I know there isn't an officially released english version of the game. Just a press preview. The Next Big Thing is set in the same universe and can be considered as a sequel. Maybe you should look also for Igor: Objective Uikokahonia, Pendulos first game from 1994 which is available as freeware.

How about

Gilbert Goodmate and the Mushroom of Phungoria

Like Monkey Island, with more talking.

14895-gilbert-goodmate-and-the-mushroom-of-phungoria-windows-screenshot.jpg

Ohhh right I loved this one, but the (german) voice acting was ... let's say so bad it was good. The voice actor of Gilbert changed voices during the game and by the end he started to sound quite good :D

It had the same interface as CMI and overall felt like CMI a bit.

Ohhh right I loved this one, but the (german) voice acting was ... let's say so bad it was good. The voice actor of Gilbert changed voices during the game and by the end he started to sound quite good :D

It had the same interface as CMI and overall felt like CMI a bit.

I liked Gilbert's English voice & the smithy, but others were not as good

Omikron_-_The_Nomad_Soul_Coverart.jpg

Also, how about Omikron/The Nomad Soul? In a way it was a nightmare in terms of an adventure game attempting to adapt to the market at the time, but I still enjoyed it. There were some absolute dire problems with it, and whole sections that should NEVER be let anywhere near an adventure game (I remember the FPS sections being terrible. I completed the final battle at the first try by exploiting a massive glitch). I guess it tried to be a jack-of-all-trades but only succeeded in some. Fortunately, I thought the adventure was the strong part. The reincarnation/possession was never the big feature they made it out to be, though.

I'm sure a lot of people only played it because it featured David Bowie, which was kind of funny in itself. There was a whole side quest where you could watch his band perform...

Aw, the Nomad Soul - that's where I invented the computer alias I used for years afterward.

Here's another one:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Files_of_Sherlock_Holmes - this is the only Sherlock Holmes game I've liked, and it's nicely atmospheric, pretty lush graphics, too, imo imo.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/232

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - The Case of Serrated Scalpel_1.png

Lost Files of Sherlock Holmes - The Case of Serrated Scalpel_2.png

Oh, and let's not forget Star Control 2 - in your face, officious haters.

Edit: Awww... my screenshot links no worky. They're just taken from the Abandonia page anyway.

Edit: Awww... my screenshot links no worky. They're just taken from the Abandonia page anyway.

You can't have spaces in img URLs.

Also, I adore Star Control 2, but can't see how anyone would categorize it as an adventure game. Seems this has already been discussed though. Never mind.

You can't have spaces in img URLs.

Also, I adore Star Control 2, but can't see how anyone would categorize it as an adventure game. Seems this has already been discussed though. Never mind.

I readily concede it's a tenuous one, but I could totally argue the case successfully if it wasn't a waste of everyone's time. I mean, it's got lateral thinking, conversation trees, exploration... loads of that good stuff. So, like, genre-defying mannnnnnn.

Re-edit: I've never called it an adventure before today, tbh, but I love it so dearly and it's so close, I really don't think it's worth objecting to. What should it be called, a space-trading RPG with less emphasis on trade and more on diplomacy? Bah. Bah, I say!

Re: Scooby Doo - I've had that for years and not played it, because I can't handle the tedium of using a pad to control the pointer. Does anyone know a way of getting around this? I had hopes for the tablet, but no joy.

Because of the control scheme (using the D-pad to move around), even emulators that allow mouse support don't let you use it in this game. Guess you're stuck :( This game is worth wrestling with the controls though.

Also, to add another game to the thread, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is an amazing adventure, hilarious and detailed - sort of reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, humour and style-wise. I'm not sure how popular it is, but if you haven't played it yet it's definitely worth trying out!

callahan-3.png

callahan-13.png

Re: Scooby Doo - I've had that for years and not played it, because I can't handle the tedium of using a pad to control the pointer. Does anyone know a way of getting around this? I had hopes for the tablet, but no joy.

Use the Fusion emulator and a Scooby Doo rom (if you own an original cartridge, that is...)

Kega Fusion: http://www.emucr.com/2010/03/kega-fusion-v364.html

I won't point you to a rom other than saying that you should do something that rhymes with 'perch noogle'

Open up Kega, then Options -> Set Config -> Controllers, then set both options for Port 1 to 'Mouse'. Voila! A mouse in a Genesis game!

I love you for this.

A New Beginning, from Daedalus Entertainment. Not very pretty but wonderful, difficult riddles!

Weird, I thought it was really beautiful but had very easy riddles. :D

I love you for this.

Sorry, updated my post after testing it... It's a no-go, unless you find some way to map keyboard keys to mouse movement - which would probably be way more inconvenient than actually using a gamepad.

I love you for this.

Sorry, updated my post after testing it... It's a no-go, unless you find some way to map keyboard keys to mouse movement - which would probably be way more inconvenient than actually using a gamepad.

Whattttt, we only just met and already you break my heart?

Here's Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer

eGFMQ.jpg

One of the guys I work with was the artist on this. He brought in the original watercolours for the scenes, they look beautiful in real life. The scans didn't really do them justice.

omggggggggggggg so many gamessssssssssssssssssssss ..... i need a clone of myself to play all these games full time!

Also, to add another game to the thread, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is an amazing adventure, hilarious and detailed - sort of reminds me of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, humour and style-wise. I'm not sure how popular it is, but if you haven't played it yet it's definitely worth trying out!

callahan-3.png

callahan-13.png

That does look really good thanks for showing this,its based of a book series which i read some of later books,by spider robinson.i should really see if my library has the first books.

For me it was verygood and very beautiful in is time not really hard but great story and respecful for comics book readers like me.

the game was NOCTROPOLIS

Noctropolis-b.jpg

564970_127967_front.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYaubm2VXhQ

i played this game! it was fun! =D

PS: OMGggggggggggggggggggggggg there are so many games i have not played .... i need a clone of myself to play all these games full time!

omggggggggggggg so many gamessssssssssssssssssssss ..... i need a clone of myself to play all these games full time!

Should I be proud or ashamed that I've played all but one of two of the games in this thread?

Should I be proud or ashamed that I've played all but one of two of the games in this thread?

I am jealous! but to answer your question, that depends ... do you still have a life? If you do, then you should be very proud! :D

Otherwise erm ... sorry .. ill just make my exit now ... :P

Daria's Inferno is another pretty good game that I suspect people probably already know about. It's pretty cool, though Daria tends to drone on in her monotone voice.

It feels very much like the show and was released in 2000. A fun game that you'll probably get through pretty quickly.

578928_35618_front.jpg

darias_inferno-434725-1291015052.jpeg

s41540mb5bs.jpg

The Gene Machine!

528736-the-gene-machine-dos-screenshot-finally-some-xixc-decor-s.png

115412-the-gene-machine-dos-screenshot-arrival-at-the-train-stations.png

Picked it up dirt cheap from a bargain bin 10+ years ago and that's the only place i've ever seen it for sale before or since. It's a bit on the short side and the puzzles are not very challenging, but it's got some witty writing, full voice acting and decent graphics. It doesn't really feel like a "cheap" game so i'm a bit surprised with how rare it seems to be.

Proud. You sir, are an adventure game connoisseur.

Rama
That's twice in this thread! I was thinking, "Oh, hey, I remember one!" and someone's already gone and posted it.

On a related note, "Rendezvous with Rama" is a fantastic read. I felt like the series went downhill from there (though it had high points), but the first book is one of my all-time favorites, along with Clarke's "Ghost from the Grand Banks", "Hammer of God", and "Fountains of Paradise".

Sign in to follow this