Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

I don't think anyone's mentioned Eternam yet. I liked it.

eternam.jpg

Eternam_8.png

Eternam_2.png

sTFNFHHlrOs

It combined new-fangled 3D first person roaming with traditional 2D when you were inside a building. It was set in an amusement park full of different worlds set in different periods, each on different islands. First island was shareware if I recall correctly.

Dunno if they count as "games no one's ever heard of", but I'm a fan of Hotel Dusk and its sequel Last Window, both on DS.

Hotel Dusk

hotel-dusk_large.jpg

Last Window

the-last-window-midnight-promise-20100916093647768.jpg

Superb storytelling, and while the puzzles in Hotel Dusk might rely too much on moon logic for my tastes the ones on its sequel are very clever.

First I wanna say how sad it is that unless you have a Windows XP machine still lying around so many of the games are a lot of work to play and expensive.

Even if you have Windows Professional Edition with XP mode there's a lot of work to get some of them going, which is a shame.

Although I got to say that even I (who consider myself an expert and have played pretty much everything posted here) has found one or two that were new to me.

One I haven't seen mentioned though is (I know it has some popularity as it's discussed on many sites, but they always say "I feel like maybe 10 people know this game")

CHEWY - ESC FROM F5

The game was conceptualized and drawn by Carsten Wieland, who made the recent "The Rocking Dead" which would not fall under a Best Game Nobody Ever Heard Of, just a game no one heard of.

and one more for the hell of it. Even though I'm not sure if I can get this one working on my computer anymore either.

STUPID INVADERS

which actually no... that game sucked. It looked good... but god it sucked, you would die for reasons unknown!

Another one, also amazingly distributed

I haven't heard of most of these, but I completely forgot about The Neverhood. When my parents got their first Windows PC it came as a pack in. I really enjoyed it, but it took me forever to finish because I wasn't very good at adventure games at the time. I remember watching all the extras on the disc that had the artists and programmers talking about the game in a quirky way, really cool back then.

The only game I can think of not mentioned is Realms of the Haunting, it isn't really an adventure game, it's an FPS with adventure game elements, but a good one. You have to use the mouse pointer to examine the environment, you collect items and use items like an adventure game, there are puzzles but I can't remember if they were very hard. The cinematics used real actors and they were surprisingly good, even today, and it used a ton of voice acting. The acting is much better than what you find in most video games (except Double Fine, of course). I really, really liked this game back in the day, check it out if you like old FPS like Doom and then add adventure game components and that is Realms of the Haunting.

roth0002.jpg

amazon-queen.jpg

Flight of the Amazon Queen. Probably better known than most of the games here, but its a good one.

screenshot1188-1.jpg

Colonel's Bequest. I didnt play it, I just remember watching a friend play it. It was a murder mystery and I think the ending would change based on how much you solved.

For me it would be Sierra's extremely underrated GOLD RUSH! I loved the game, and it was one which actually had replayability (with its three different paths to the West).

Duckman: Graphic adventures of a private dick

126128-duckman-the-graphic-adventures-of-a-private-dick-windows-screenshot.gif

Bazooka Sue

482322-bazooka-sue-dos-screenshot-our-heroines.png

Al Gurbish in: Nick It & Run

59_4.png

Adventure: The Inside Job

preview1.gif

Agent XXL

511402-agent-xxl-das-geheimnis-der-quadrate-dos-screenshot-the-game.png

Tony Tough and the Night of the Roasted Moths

47958-tony-tough-and-the-night-of-roasted-moths-windows-screenshot.jpg

I think my list could go on and on and on...

Lots of good memories in this thread.

Anyone remember Normality? It was an interesting real-time first-person adventure with a raycasting engine. Not as good as Tex Murphy but still a pretty unique game.

2009_11_28_normality2.jpg

I liked The Seventh Guest. It has more puzzle game in it than most adventures, but it was a very atmospheric mystery made around the beginning of CD-ROM technology.

256px-T7G-Box-Cover.jpgintro_seventh_guest_screen1.jpg

In it, you play someone who arrives at an old manor filled with ghosts, trying to divine what became of everyone. Everything from the clown with the unearthly voice to the hands reaching out from the painting as if desperately trying to escape, could really keep you fascinated!

Anyone played "In Memoriam" (or "Missing since January" as it is called in the US)? A fantastic adventure game that really draws you into the story by having YOU as the main character. You get sendt from the police a mysterious CD that contains imformation created by a serial killer. You also have to use the internet to gather clues that the killer has spread out. You are helping the police in the search for two reporters that mysteriously disapperared while investigating his murders. I really recomend it! Not sure how it works on newer comps thought.

920511_20040624_790screen005.jpg

920511_20040624_790screen004.jpg

http://www.gamespot.com/missing-since-january/

----

I liked The Seventh Guest

I'm not sure which I liked more, the annoying puzzles or the dreadful acting. Mind you, the writing should get a look in, too.

"Stauf started carving dolls in the exact likeness of his dream. Each one was different..."

Solid stuff. ^_^

One that I had fun playing was "Innocent until Caught" and it's sequel Guilty (Innocent until Caught 2)

8910-guilty-innocent-until-caught-2-8.jpg

I had literally completely forgotten that this game ever existed and those screenshots gave me a sudden flood of nostalgia :)

I didn't even know there was a sequel, I don't suppose anyone knows if there's any way to play these particular games on modern machines?

*edit*

Both games are abondonware now so free to download here:

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/299/Innocent+Until+Caught.html

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/514/Guilty.html

Found 'Universe' on there too whilst looking for these, which I remember playing back on the Amiga but I never got too far into it...

Universe_6.png

Universe_9.png

How about The Adventures of Maddog Williams in

pzdMW.gif

This is an Amiga adveture game from 1992 that also had a PC release. It had one or two combat sequences but nothing too offensive to adventure gaming sensibilities.

9wFZI.gif

It was later made freeware and can be got from here.

The Dark Eye was one of my favorite games as a kid. Narrated by William S. Burroughs! Can't get much better than that.

How about The Adventures of Maddog Williams in

This game is fantastic, for anyone who hasn't played it. It's freeware, so no excuses! (besides having a life)

I liked The Seventh Guest. It has more puzzle game in it than most adventures, but it was a very atmospheric mystery made around the beginning of CD-ROM technology.

256px-T7G-Box-Cover.jpgintro_seventh_guest_screen1.jpg

In it, you play someone who arrives at an old manor filled with ghosts, trying to divine what became of everyone. Everything from the clown with the unearthly voice to the hands reaching out from the painting as if desperately trying to escape, could really keep you fascinated!

Finally! The first game in this thread i've actually played! I still remember a bunch of words you can only spell with the vowel "Y" because of that puzzle in the pantry!

Years of gaming just came flooding back to me... I need a moment...

I have some awesome memories of the legend of kyrandia series, especially the third game about Malcom.

no idea of how unheard of these games or how they hold up now butt they got me playing adventure games as a kid :)

how about Hollywood Monsters? The 2nd game from Pendulo Studios, makers of the Runaway series. I never could find out if there was an english translation of this floating out there that reviewers received. The game always looked amazing to me. I've never played it

23967-hollywood-monsters-windows-screenshot-vampire-alerts.gif

For those who are interested (and can navigate a Spanish website), Hollywood Monsters is free for a couple days on the publisher's website.

There's also a free English text translation that was just released, here.

Just remembered a game that nobody mentioned yet and that I almost completely forgot about and that definitely takes the #1 spot for me after consideration. Not point & click, but definitely pure adventure.

SHADOW OF DESTINY (USA) / SHADOW OF MEMORIES (EUROPE)

PS2, PC, PSP

507_5.jpg

Probably Konami's most original title. So you get stabbed in the back and you die. Thankfully, someone in the afterlife gives you a device that allows you to go back in time to prevent your death. Problem is, you have no idea who's the killer nor his motive, and the killer is actively hunting you around every corner, waiting for the perfect opportunity to kill you again and again, and every time you must go back in time - sometimes by several centuries - in order to delay your death long enough to figure out his identity. The game has high production values and also features several endings depending of your actions. Highly recommended.

By the way, if anybody figures out how to run the PC version under Windows 7 64-bit, I'll bake you some cookies. The game crashes so hard, even the desktop becomes unresponsive and must be rebooted. I was unsuccessful even on a virtual machine.

Hollywood Monsters is free for a couple days on the publisher's website.

Cool.

It's a shame though that the publisher forces visitors who want to download it to create an account...

Even the BugMeNot account isn't useful, since each account is only good for one download of the game.

I've got a couple of old games on my shelf that are quite obscure (not including the already mentioned Discworld Noir (which I didn't think was that obscure but it's still fantastic anyway, just wish it was easier to get running on a modern PC) and Gilbert Goodmate). The first one is The Ward which is a science fiction adventure made by a very small company called Fragile Bits (I believe that only 6 people worked on the game and it was their only release). Here's a screen shot of it:

ward_0213_790screen001.jpg

It came out in 2000-01, and I think I got it not long after it was released. I seem to remember that I did enjoy it for the most part but there were some annoying timed puzzles. Basically it's about an astronaut who is caught up in some weird alien prophecy after his fellow crewmen of the Apollo XIX mission are mysteriously killed. I can;t really remember much else. Because the team behind the game was so small there isn't any voice acting outside of the cut scenes which is a little strange for the time and with a commercial release but for me that only slightly detracted from the experience. I think I'll have to try and play it again soon. While searching for screen shots of the game I came across a video of the intro that someone uploaded so thought I might as well share it:

Around the same time I got The Ward I also got Schizm: Mysterious Journey which is a Myst clone (technically more like Riven really) made by a Polish developer and noteable for being written by Australian science fiction author Terry Dowling (though to be honest I've never read any of his stuff). Here's a screen shot.:

schizm6.jpg

Like the previous game I don't remember a lot about it really. To be honest I'm not even sure I ever finished it! But it is on my shelf and I may get around to it one day. I do remember that it's about these two people who are sent to a world to find out what happened there or something and when you get there something else goes wrong and they have to abandon the ship they are on (stops while he finds the box to read it... ah yes, thats it). Space probes discover this planet with all these cities and machinery but there are no people anywhere on the planet so science teams are sent to research the place. Months later the two main characters are on a supply ship for the research teams but when they get there they find that they've all disappeared. Shortly after that something happens which causes systems on the ship to fail meaning the two people have to abandon ship. Upon landing on the surface they find that they've been separated and the player has to get them both to the same place (or something like that).

Well that's the intro anyway, like I said I can't remember if I ever completed it. One neat thing was being able to switch between the two characters at will (I think it was like that most of the time anyway). The story must have interested me 'cos I wouldn't have bought it otherwise and so I might have got bored of the gameplay or the puzzles (a little research shows that there are some fairly hard/obscure puzzles in the game which definitely could have put me off completing it). I think I will try and get it running just to see if anything comes back to me at all, like remembering if I had finished it or not. If not then I could at least finish it for sure.

how about Hollywood Monsters? The 2nd game from Pendulo Studios, makers of the Runaway series. I never could find out if there was an english translation of this floating out there that reviewers received. The game always looked amazing to me. I've never played it

23967-hollywood-monsters-windows-screenshot-vampire-alerts.gif

For those who are interested (and can navigate a Spanish website), Hollywood Monsters is free for a couple days on the publisher's website.

There's also a free English text translation that was just released, here.

I can't figure out how to download the game to my computer, it's only letting me play it on the publisher's website. Can you help me out?

This game is fantastic, for anyone who hasn't played it. It's freeware, so no excuses! (besides having a life)

I don't know why it's called "having a life". I feel half dead most of the time. Those kids...

Anyway, Nine Princes in Amber is one of my favourites, a text adventure with graphics that I played on my Commodore 128.

I can't figure out how to download the game to my computer, it's only letting me play it on the publisher's website. Can you help me out?

Well, if it's playing at all then it's probably installed on your computer in C:\Program Files\Hollywood Monsters

369104-the-bizarre-adventures-of-woodruff-and-the-schnibble-windows.png

http://www.mobygames.com/game/bizarre-adventures-of-woodruff-and-the-schnibble

http://www.adventuregamers.com/gameinfo.php?id=1129

"Despite critical acclaim, however, Woodruff failed to find a mass audience and turned out to be a financial disappointment for Sierra, eventually slipping into obscurity behind most of the company's better-known titles."

One of my favorite adventure games of all time.

Give it a try if you like old-school pixely stuff; it has humor too, some bizarre puzzles as well.

I love Woodruff. The atmosfere of the game is brilliant!

Just want another shout out for Out of Order. It's really quite obscure (in the sense that so few have heard about it), but so worth the time playing it! And it's free!

And also a second mention of Toonstruck, with some screenshots:

i_toon3.jpg

114006-toonstruck-dos-screenshot-cutopia-s-town-centers.png

toonstruck.jpg

Seriously, this is a must play if you enjoy cartoons or adventure games, and especially if you are like me and love both! The puzzles are great, there are a lot of characters and the art style and voice acting is great. With names like Christopher Lloyd from Back to the Future and Who Framed Roger Rabbit? fame and Tim Curry as perhaps more known on-screen actors, you get something to hang your hat on. But the voice talents of Frank Welker, Tress MacNeille, Jeff Bennett, Rob Paulsen, Jim Cummings, Dan Castellaneta ++ are so incredible that for Double Fine's upcoming adventure game I think they should try to hire at least some of those. Sure, they may not be the cheapest, but you don't typically get quality voice acting by just pulling in somebody random. And they would most likely be a lot cheaper than any celebrity on-screen actors anyway, so instead of either cheaping out or trying to get some big-shots who wants 100 000$ just to show up they should pick some of those who both have incredible skills nor cost half the budget to hire. Anyway, that's just my opinion. Get Toonstruck; it's totally worth your time!

Probably more known, but both Flight of the Amazon Queen and Beyond A Steel Sky are enjoyable and available for free.

Sign in to follow this