Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

Not sure if nobody ever heard of it, but certainly no modern gamers I know have. Darkseed.

Also I really liked Fear Effect and In Cold Blood, even though they have some action elements mixed in.

And to echo an above poster, Shadow of Memories is amazing.

The Blackwell Saga by Wadjet Eye Games

got the first 3 with the x-mas Indie Royale bundle and loved it!

bought the 4th episode as soon as it got on Steam.

Me it was a Sierra's game very well animated I didn't finish it I think I still have de cdrom somewhere it was like king quest 7 :)

Torin's Passage!

I'm yet to meet someone who's heard of it other than my Aunt, at whom's house I played it.

1153781-lycentiathreatenstorin.gif

The worst thing about this thread is the fact that most of these games refuse to run on modern Win7 64 bit computers and I have no immediate way of replaying them.

The worst thing about this thread is the fact that most of these games refuse to run on modern Win7 64 bit computers and I have no immediate way of replaying them.

ditto

So very many games I've loved have already been mentioned...

Here's one more. The Last Express should have been one of the most popular games of all time, but due to a bunch of marketing crap, it sold like, 15 copies.

Image46.gif

tle_ladies2.jpg

the-last-express.png

You're basically a guy thrust into a murder mystery on the Orient Express. It's paced like a movie, and it happens in real time, with fully rotoscoped actors playing out the whole thing. (You have the ability to rewind time if you miss something/fail miserably.)

Cannot say enough good things about this game.

The Journeyman Project trilogy. For some reason no one I talk to EVER seems to have heard of these, but IMO they're brilliant. The first one is a bit rough around the edges, but 2 and 3... mmmh. Love.

40.jpg

I remember that game.. :) i think it came with a Packard Bell PC that I bought. I do not remember if i finish it though.

Torin's Passage!

I'm yet to meet someone who's heard of it other than my Aunt, at whom's house I played it.

I loved Torin's Passage! I had no idea it wasn't popular...

I'm a kid of the late 90's so here's a few I collected from the bargain bin at funcoland and EB Games.

A Fork in the Tale: YHIUHapbNPM

This game was full motion video without a pause button. It was a huge sequence of Quick Time Events, so if you missed it the video would loop. Not very effective. Voiced by Rob Schnieder was it's marketing hook? I enjoyed the hell out of it though.

Obsidian: NiztCIDlcYM

Point and click with prerenders. Best puzzle of bureaucracy nightmare since infocom. Surrealistic and I loved it to the point of being called obsidian boy in high school. Won some t-shirts in a contest (was I the only entrant?). Loved this game.

Speaking of infocom, nobody mentioned Hitchhiker's Guide the text adventure. It is too well known or is it forgotten already?

The Space Bar: Wiki Link Same company as obsidian, with "empathy telepathy" training you enter the memories of aliens. Very imaginitive detective sci fi.

Southpeak interactive is forgotten. Temüjin

Dark side of the moon.

More rendered with fmv characters.

I liked ToonStruck, still have the boxes for all of these games. I heard there was a sequel never released or something? Can anyone confirm?

I second the Star Trek 25th anniversary for DOS. That was a lot of fun (thanks Interplay! R.I.P.). But does anyone remember Star Trek: The Kobyashi Alternative? I had a PCjr I fixed for a teacher in middle school and it was the only game that came with it. There was another text adventure from those folks too I can't recall the name of.

The age puzzles for leisure suit larry were fun cause I knew some and guessed the rest. Boss keys were BOSS! I miss boss keys bringing up a lame spreadsheet.

I love adventure games.

Also heard no love for Tass Times in Tone Town. Talk about surrealist 80's new wave adventure gaming.

with a bit of hunting on google, you can actually find emulators/virtual machines that will allow you to run all these old games on any modern pc =)

Torin's Passage!

1153781-lycentiathreatenstorin.gif

I loved that game! Came with my IBM Aptiva (my first Windows computer, back in 1997.) And that would be the epic confrontation with Lycentia! =)

0ac8GdpF3FE

Edit: Watching that, I totally forgot how awesome the music was.

I'm sure people have heard of it, but gotta love Shadowgate.

shadowgate-death.gif

/hit *thyself*

Shadowgate was a favorite experience on the NES - it's probably a bit more known than many of the games I've seen here, but still some good memories - the music was fantastic for an NES game!

During my childhood I adored an adventure game series called Polda. It was made by Czech developers :)

Unfortunately, I think the games are not available in English which is a shame really. Here are a few videos from Polda 4 which was all about time travel and distinctive settings!

So very many games I've loved have already been mentioned...

Here's one more. The Last Express should have been one of the most popular games of all time, but due to a bunch of marketing crap, it sold like, 15 copies.

Last Express was pretty successful by standards of its day, and I think they're doing a new mobile port.

How about this one? The Dagger of Amon Ra

99_10_medium.jpg

It was the Laura Bow sequel to the Colonel's Bequest. Sierra's 1920's murder mystery that had some pretty graphic cutscenes:

ziggybody.jpg

Also, I totally agree with Sanitarium. One of the best/ most interesting adventure games ever. If anyone doesn't know - you can buy a version of it that is playable on Vista (and I assume Windows 7?) here. (They also have other classics like the King's Quest series and Phantasmagoria)...

Laura Bow games aren't exactly unknown.

But then again... not many of the adventures that have been named in this thread really meet the name of the thread.

Lure of the Temptress also is such an example... was well known back then, today probably not so much any more, but still.

Sanitarium... still have that one at home. Never finished that game. Few weeks ago I tried to play it again, but somehow it likes to crash :-/.

Kings Quest & Quest for Glory --->

http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

Several remakes for FREE that should work with newer systems and have decent graphics.

They'd been mentioned before, but I'd highlight the Star Trek games, (both the original series ones, 25th Anniversary and Judgement Rites, and the NextGen A Final Unity). Wonderful games, proper puzzles and very Trek, for those who like that sort of thing.

Also, if anyone here hasn't played Ben There, Dan That! (which is free) and Time, Gentlemen, Please! (which is literally pennies on Steam), you're missing out on the funniest and cleverest adventure games of the last few years. I absolutely loved them.

I haven't played this one in 15 years, but I remember this one being pretty rad:

Deathgate

Seconded! I remember Death Gate as being the best Legend adventure (of their new interface era). The spell system allowed for some ingenious puzzles.

Also by Legend Entertainment:

Timequest

cleo_timequest.gif

I love time traveling puzzles, and Timequest contains some very neat brain-wrangling time conundrums. As a bonus, all the historical events in the game are (more or less) based on known facts and the way you influence them is like a speculative explanation why history happened as it did. Also, Timequest has one of the best end game puzzles of all adventures I know.

I usually find stuff on Gog.com and Steam, they have some of these games available to run on modern operating systems, mostly PC but a few with Mac support. Gog even has some free games, I have yet to play it but Beneath the Steel Sky is free to download from them.

Beneath_a_Steel_Sky_-_2.jpg

I mentioned Realms of the Haunting earlier and it's also on Gog. Double Fine games are available through Gog and Steam as well.

So yeah, check out these services to play old games on new systems. I'm sure there are other sites that offer similar, too.

(This post was in no way endorsed by Steam and/or Gog.com)

Think Mission Critical is also far too unspoken think its a fun game even though sometimes abit technical descriptions.

47958-tony-tough-and-the-night-of-roasted-moths-windows-screenshot.jpg

Tony Tough and the Night of Roasted Moths. Great artwork and pretty good humor :)

Nightshade was an NES game that was pretty funny and a pretty solid adventure game... Unfortunately it also had really hard action elements in it like fighting.... But the pointing, clicking, inventory items, and humor was like if Guybrush wanted to be a NOIR superhero instead of a pirate....

Most obscure one I can think of right now is Ark of Time. I played that on PS1. Also, probably not many people played Discworld and City of Lost Children. I played those on the PS1 as well.

A New Beginning, from Daedalus Entertainment. Not very pretty but wonderful, difficult riddles!

Although I totally agree that ´A New Beginning´ is of course worth a try, I couldn´t disagree more on the second part of your statement. The game has indeed extremely beautiful background-graphics, handdrawn by some very gifted artists (just take the Golden Gate Bridge scenes or the screens later in the jungle or on the former oil rig). Stunningly beautiful! Indeed I plan to print out some of these in a poster scale for my office. I have to admit that the protagonists looks and animations can´t quite hold up.

On the other hand the RIDDLES are extremely EASY, especially compared to the other Daedalic titles. It clearly adresses beginners. I completed the whole game in about 6-7 hours (and it is a long game!). Maybe I could have completed it even more quickly if I didn´t waste so much time on admiring those beautiful backgrounds...

I was going to say Sanitarium too, but a few already beat me to the punch

If you were into the Myst games, Robot City was a great game based on the series of books of the same name. Being a huge Isaac Asimov fan made this a bit of a must have for me.

robot-city-cover.jpg

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders! It is probably the most obscure of all the Lucasfilm titles.

Zak_McKracken_artwork.jpg

In 1996, Rainbow Arts published an adventure called Imperium Romanun.

The roman empire never ceased to exist (thanks to some time traveling space pirates) and so you find yourself in a modern times roman empire ... people still dress in tunics but they have sneakers as well ... everything is build in marble and with typical roman columns etc. but they do have ATMs and telephones ... it was awesome :D

61FwyEsn3oL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

8.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders! It is probably the most obscure of all the Lucasfilm titles.

Thread title: "Game's No One's Ever Heard Of"

That's why. It's a classic and a lot people here should at least have heard of it.

Sign in to follow this