Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

Hm, someone should create a post that is constantly updated with all the suggestions, and either links for purchasing or downloading (if abandon/freeware), since I use to love adventure gaming back in the day, and then I wandered away from it!

Smiles

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Noctropolis yet. It's laughably bad but it's one of my favourite FMV games.

noctropolis-6.png

AND OH MAN UNIVERSE

Universe_7.png

Great stuff.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Noctropolis yet...

I'm pretty sure this thread is supposed to be about good games. :P

Also (unrelated), I think any game that is currently supported by ScummVM is disqualified from being truly obscure.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Noctropolis yet...

I'm pretty sure this thread is supposed to be about good games. :P

Also (unrelated), I think any game that is currently supported by ScummVM is disqualified from being truly obscure.

Surely it qualifies as being so bad it skips back to be being good. I mean, look at that dialogue! I can only imagine the pain that everyone involved went through when making that game. Their pain fed the game and made it more than the sum of its sparse, pathetically inadequate parts.

Deponia_09.jpg

DEPONIA is worth checking out (

). It's German, but as far as I know there's going to be an English version. One of the very few adventures that had a kind of humor that was somewhat lucasartsish. And since it only came out in Germany so far, it qualifies for the list of games "no one (outside Germany) has ever heard of (yet)" ;).

Any text adventure really would be obscure (and most are free legit now a days) probably (There's one alice in wonderland text adventure that is damn hard).

Some really good mentions listed here. I think the only adventure game I have that most no one will know is Commander Blood- an FMV game. Weird Ass game and I've never been able to beat it, but the FMV is fantastic. I think its a sequel but ive never been able to discover much about it.

Just some pics from the beginning video:

pic2.jpg

pic1.jpg

Theres some video of it on youtube. I dont know of a way to get the game these days, but I still I have the original CD. This and some other weird Mindscape FMV stuff (like Megarace).

Good Lord, cornbredx, you think you could've used some larger pictures?

how about Hollywood Monsters? The 2nd game from Pendulo Studios, makers of the Runaway series. I never could find out if there was an english translation of this floating out there that reviewers received. The game always looked amazing to me. I've never played it

23967-hollywood-monsters-windows-screenshot-vampire-alerts.gif

For those who are interested (and can navigate a Spanish website), Hollywood Monsters is free for a couple days on the publisher's website.

There's also a free English text translation that was just released, here.

I can't figure out how to download the game to my computer, it's only letting me play it on the publisher's website. Can you help me out?

Go to the site

Select "0€ Gratis" next to Hollywood Monsters

Scroll down and select "Consiguelo Gratis" (blue button)

Select "Todavía no tengo cuenta FX"

Insert your e-mail address on the boxes that say "CORREO ELECTRÓNICO"

Insert your password on the boxes that say "CONTRASEÑA"

Click "Crear My Cuenta FX" (blue button"

Go to your e-mail and click on the link that says "Confirmar mi cuenta FX"

Get back to the site and log in

Install the game and enjoy

Note: The game will be installed in the (C:\Program Files (x86)\Hollywood Monsters) path (Windows 7)

The Gene Machine!

Picked it up dirt cheap from a bargain bin 10+ years ago and that's the only place i've ever seen it for sale before or since. It's a bit on the short side and the puzzles are not very challenging, but it's got some witty writing, full voice acting and decent graphics. It doesn't really feel like a "cheap" game so i'm a bit surprised with how rare it seems to be.

Couldn't agree more. A really neat game. :)

Here's a good one: 'I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream' by The Dreamers Guild.

FtcXc.jpg

The nuclear war is over. There are only 5 people left alive in the world. Not willingly, though... the computer that conducted the war keeps them alive for torture.

I'll just quote AM, the computer:

"HATE. LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR HUMANS AT THIS MICRO-INSTANT FOR YOU. HATE. HATE."

Why did nobody mention the very well fanmade game zack mc kracken 2 beyond time and space. It is made by fans for fans, for free to download and has great puzzles and en even better graphic.

tschinzblog:zak_2008.jpg?cache=Zack mc kracken overview

If you're an adventure fan with a ds and you haven't played 999 you should probably fix that. Kind of a visual novel with branching paths and puzzle rooms similar to 7th guest. Easily one of the best games you havn't played.

Edit: woooops cough huge picture lets try something smaller....

999_nine_hours_nine_persons_nine_doors_frontcover_large_0HeuH33PuJUEkgA.jpg

If you're an adventure fan with a ds and you haven't played 999 you should probably fix that. Kind of a visual novel with branching paths and puzzle rooms similar to 7th guest. Easily one of the best games you havn't played.

Edit: woooops cough huge picture lets try something smaller....

999_nine_hours_nine_persons_nine_doors_frontcover_large_0HeuH33PuJUEkgA.jpg

999 is indeed an amazing game, but I was under the impression that it was one of Aksys's biggest successes. They even announced the sequel for 3DS and Vita:

51B+xzompVL._AA300_.jpg

This thread has gone off the rails with the mention of The 7th Guest! The title is not "Old games you might have forgotten about", it's "Best Adventure Game No One’s Ever Heard Of"! The 7th Guest is not obscure in the slightest! It was incredibly popular back in the day and helped sell CD drives in masses. The mention of Innocent until Caught shows that people here don't bother to only mention good games either...oh well. I guess this kind of thread will always invite a mere general nostalgia fest.

It took eight long pages before finally someone dared to mention Death Gate!? For shame!

680-death-gate-dos-screenshot-in-the-bars.gif

It's truly one of the best under-appreciated adventure games ever! Fans of The Longest Journey should play it so they find out how an actually well crafted adventure game looks like! ;) It's not quite as huge in terms of content, but your quest is just as epic. You visit multiple worlds and save their fate by reuniting them at the end. And it's fantasy of course, with dwarves and elves and such. You should be a fan of reading though, because it's quite text-heavy. Events are rather described then played out on screen.

And no one, NO ONE, mentioned Azrael's Tear so far! Scandalous!!

azrael.png

I can't believe it. You know the truth about this kind of thread? The best obscure games are too obscure to be mentioned. Well, except by (once) die-hard collectors like me, of course! ;)

Azrael's Tear is one of the most atmospheric games I've ever played. The graphics, sounds, music and writing cohere wonderfully together to create an incredibly dense atmosphere. The creaking doors! The dripping water! The sorrowful chords of the church organ! The decaying environment, overgrown with moss, collapsed into ruins! What an atmosphere it is! Of despair and loneliness, evoking a society after its prime that should've been extinct for long, but goes on, still goes on, at the cost of sanity.

I'm talking about the knight templars, of course, every single deranged lunatic of them. We meet them in [del]the future[/del] [del]actually the present, since it takes place in 2012[/del] the future of the past, the past being 1996 and the future being 2012, which is now, but was not then. And as bad as the world might be today, I don't think it's quite the apocalyptic hell hole it's alluded to be here.

You, the player, are a thief, and your objects of interest are artifacts of ancient civilizations long gone. Basically, you're an AFGNCAAP (Ageless, Faceless, Gender Neutral, Culturally Ambiguous Adventure Person). This is one of many traits Azrael's Tear shares with text adventures, others being the compass and room descriptions. While its heritage goes a long way back it was one of the most innovative adventure games of its time, being one of the first that truly embraced the third dimension.

I'm sure it's not for everyone. The interface is clunky, the graphics are ugly and for many people it's hard to get into. You're just dumped into the game without knowing what to do or why you're there. The introduction actually takes place outside the game! There's a fictional letter in the game box that explains why you are where you are at the start of the game.

Just do yourself a service and give it a chance! I never played anything like it before or since. Also, there's a quite a bit of replay value in it. I'm still not sure if I have figured out every little secret. Probably not...

Touch Detective is a pretty niche one I think. It originally came out on the DS but more recently has gotten a rerelease on iOS. Its original DS versions are pretty difficult to find, but if you have an iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch, I'd highly recommend trying it out. The first chapter is free and to get all of them its only $9, a steal compared to what I paid for my DS version. Its a wonderfully cute game where you play as Mackenzie a young girl detective and go around solving crazy cases about really odd things. Its pretty witty.

This seems likes a really interesting game. Thank you for sharing this I look forward to playing it. I personally prefer ds games over ios so I dont mind buying it for $35 dollars on amazon.

Think Mission Critical is also far too unspoken think its a fun game even though sometimes abit technical descriptions.

Man, I had forgotten about this game! Michael Dorn outside the Worf getup. I remember really liking it.

Older gamers may also remember Spycraft: The Great Game. By far the best spy game ever for PC. It's FMV but exceptionally well done.

This week Richard Cobbett's Crapshoot column is about Conquests of the Longbow, a truly great adventure too few people know about!

Life of D. Duck: http://www.bjornarb.com/

screen_1.png

And I also remember two games I loved on the Amiga back then:

Future Wars

future_wars_001.png

and the amazingly difficult Operation Stealth, in which, if I recall correctly, you could die in the first room.

267653-james-bond-the-stealth-affair-amiga-screenshot-a-drive-by.png

My vote would go to Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island, sure the jokes are hit and miss and the voice acting is OK to good at best, but the visual style, music and even a good chunk of the puzzles are quite good, with it being a Bill Tiller game the visual style is a huge throwback to the style of The Curse of Monkey Island and even the UI is similar to the verb coin. Quite a few people slated the game, but I thought it was always worth a playthrough, just to experience the style, though I do admit some of the structure could have been better.

DISCWORLD NOIR

dwnrpc0b.jpg

I stumbled on this game in a used video game store. Just looking the box sold me, which is no small feat. I then discovered that it was only released in Europe and that it was based on a series of books by Terry Pratchett. It's a very good introduction to the Discworld series and it's actually more interesting than the books in my opinion. You play the role of a private investigator in a dark fantasy world where beliefs become reality. You accept a case from a femme fatale and things don't go quite as expected, and soon you find yourself into a series of gruesome murders that you must solve. There's also a point around the third into the story where you gain special powers which greatly helps your investigation but also have some major drawbacks. Very fun.

See whenever anyone mentions that game I automatically remember this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW9s4X4-o5Q

My wife of all people (not a gamer) bought this one in 1999 (she was my girlfriend then) in a bargain bin... It was short and simple.

NTXG5377NTNTXG5377NT.jpg

I've already mentioned two games in this thread, but here's another one that only very few of you will have heard of.

It's called Morningstar and it's a free, on-line game, with voice acting and everything.

Check it out, you won't regret giving it a try. Playable at its official site and at BubbleBox.com here.

370352-morningstar-browser-screenshot-the-medical-rooms.png

So very many games I've loved have already been mentioned...

Here's one more. The Last Express should have been one of the most popular games of all time, but due to a bunch of marketing crap, it sold like, 15 copies.

If you speak German and want The Last Express and Goblins 1-3 (yes disc and CD version!) you can buy it here:

http://www.amazon.de/The-Last-Express-Retro-Games/dp/B00577T55W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333294532&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.de/Eurovideo-VG-Gobliiins-Trilogy-Retro/dp/B00577T566/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1333294532&sr=8-5

Released from Daedalic (Edna and Harvey: The Breakout, A New Beginning...)

@gtvdave

Yes, really a shame. This Polda game looks interesting!

And @Hollywood Monsters: There are so many interesting spanish (and other) adventure games that never released internationally! >:(

Sign in to follow this