Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

That clip of the ace ventura game reminded me of something does anyone else remember playing those mercer mayer little monster interactive books /point and click type games. i think i still have them somwhere. -Smelly Mystery with Little Monster™

oh and the magic shool bus games Too.at least the way i remember them game play similar to point and click.

ok now thats nostalgic! so funny even now.

I just remembered one. The Mystery of Time and Space. http://www.albartus.com/motas/

motas.jpg

It's a browser-based, escape-the-room-type. I remember playing it when I was thirteen or so and finishing it, only to find out the game wasn't actually finished yet. I went back to it several years later and the game was a lot longer, but I wasn't interested enough to get all the way through it again.

Its been forever since iv played it, but i recall this game being a surprisingly decent FMV adventure.

MTIgame.jpg

and theres also this awesome freeware game:

5daysse2.gif

and then theres strong bads game by telltale, its really fun if you enjoy homestarrunner.com.

strongbad_seasondisc_boxart.png

Older gamers may also remember Spycraft: The Great Game. By far the best spy game ever for PC. It's FMV but exceptionally well done.

Good call, I forgot about it myself despite the fact that it's on my games shelf though to be fair it's on the bottom shelf with all my other games in jewel cases. It's a very good game, well produced like a film with the writing and cast.

I've already mentioned two games in this thread, but here's another one that only very few of you will have heard of.

It's called Morningstar and it's a free, on-line game, with voice acting and everything.

Check it out, you won't regret giving it a try. Playable at its official site and at BubbleBox.com here.

That is an excellent one. I would certainly agree with the recommendation.

I've come across quite a few other very good online adventure games that others may or may not have heard of. I'll edit this post to add links to the games themselves tomorrow, too tired at the moment.

Anika's Odyssey - A really neat adventure game with a wonderful imaginative setting.

title-cover3.jpg

Little Wheel - Its the robot future, and the whole world is shut down. Only your little robot can restore power to the robot civilization.

331x217-1.gif

The Fog Fall - A series of post-apocolyptic adventures. The first is more of a straightforward escape game, the rest expand on the world.

fogfall.jpg

Peasants Quest - A hilarious vaguely fantasy themed sendup of old DOS adventure games.

Sanitarium and Starship Titanic were great!

I really liked the sci-fi adventure Omnikron: Nomad Soul, I guess most people heard about it back when it was released but it is perhaps a bit overlooked nowadays.

David Bowie was involved in the development and his music featured in the game, the atmosphere was great and quite different.

ns01b.jpg.jpg

..Also, Safecracker, a myst-like kind of puzzle adventure game where you ...ehm cracked safes.

949615_20081114_790screen005.jpg

Warcraft Adventures: Lord of the Clans?

ccqJ9W_E3jI

At least, it seems a pretty good adventure game, and it certainly fits the "no one's ever heard of" category since it got cancelled just before it was to be released. D:

johnnyrocketfingers.jpg

By the way, another favorite of mine is Johnny Rocketfingers 2.

Very dry humor, and Johnny is one bad mother. :coolgrin:

Note: has adult themes.

http://www.johnnyrocketfingers.net/johnny-rocketfingers2.php

I remember playing this on Newgrounds back when I was in middle school. It really is incredibly well-done for a flash game.

I'd highly recommend playing it to anyone who hasn't before. There's even a little LucasArts reference early on!

cover01.jpg

I never see "Chewy: Esc von F5" mentioned... i guess it is German only but it is a pretty good Game...

and one of the first adventure Games i played (still own the CD).

Ok so.. I have a couple..

First.. the old Eco Quest games. They're OLD, but they were great fun.. And somewhat educational but I never noticed. xD

727011-searchforcetus_large.jpg

ecoquest2.jpg

After that there's the Legend of Kyrandia series. I adored the first game of the trilogy.. The second one was all right too, BUT got confusing if you didn't play the first as there was a puzzle in there that REQUIRED some knowledge of the first game to understand how you solve it..

The third game... I don't know WHAT they were thinking.. It just... No. the puzzles were RIDICULOUSLY hard and had NO logic at ALL on how to solve them, there was a maze in the game that was next to impossible.. Needless to say I NEEDED to look up a walkthrough for Kyrandia 3.. Not to mention the story was utterly stupid and really ruined a lot of the stuff from the first game..

256px-Lok-b1.jpg

kyrandia2-box-220x245.jpg

malcolm_b.jpg

I had the PlayStation version of Discworld Noir. Fun game, a little disappointing to fans of Sam Vimes.

Also memorable for me as the only game that ever caused my PlayStation to crash. Multiple times, because of one scene. (For those who played it - I believe it was under a pulpit with the cult. If I wasn't quick enough with doing what needed to be done, it blue screened.)

After that there's the Legend of Kyrandia series. I adored the first game of the trilogy.. The second one was all right too, BUT got confusing if you didn't play the first as there was a puzzle in there that REQUIRED some knowledge of the first game to understand how you solve it..

The third game... I don't know WHAT they were thinking.. It just... No. the puzzles were RIDICULOUSLY hard and had NO logic at ALL on how to solve them, there was a maze in the game that was next to impossible.. Needless to say I NEEDED to look up a walkthrough for Kyrandia 3.. Not to mention the story was utterly stupid and really ruined a lot of the stuff from the first game..

Another great series of adventure games, but again I'm fairly sure those games are pretty well known...

But that's funny, I find Kyrandia 3 to be the best of the bunch and Kyrandia 1 very annoying and frustrating. K3 is just too funny, and I have to disagree with you when you say that the puzzles aren't logical. I agree that the maze part was really annoying, but the one in K1 was even worse considering it was pure trial and error and you died at every wrong turn. Also Brandon in K1 is just the worst protagonist I've ever encountered in any game; he's just too dumb and whiny.

Which puzzle of K2 are you referring about by the way? I've played all 3 games in reverse order and never had any major problem solving any of the puzzles.

Let me post three games here.

So, hardly something anybody missed because it was all over the gaming press but since it's a very good indie-revival of the classic adventure game, of course Gemini Rue. I even had a live-stream playing it and people loved it for the story.

http://www.wadjeteyegames.com/gemini-rue.html

gr_shot2.jpg

I don't know if anybody truly liked it and whether it really qualifies as not being heard of but here we go. Blade Runner!

I know some people didn't like it but I did. :-P

6544-blade-runner-windows-screenshot-the-lobby-of-tyrell-corporations.jpgp

And now something slightly more obscure, perhaps, Digital: A Love Story. More like a novel than an adventure game, I still think it qualifies. Try it out, it's free:

http://scoutshonour.com/digital/

tumblr_kyqj74P5FQ1qzpbds.png

I don't know if anybody truly liked it and whether it really qualifies as not being heard of but here we go. Blade Runner!

I know some people didn't like it but I did. :-P

6544-blade-runner-windows-screenshot-the-lobby-of-tyrell-corporations.jpgp

THANK you! I was almost at the end of the thread and wondered when this one would come up.

+1 for Blade Runner. Wonderfully atmospheric. For fans of the movie, just pretend it is called something different.

I LOVED those games.

Well, the first one was a little dry, but the I really got into the second one, and I found the third one to be fantastic. I did find it quite difficult, but not illogical - there was a reason for everything required. Although I remember having trouble with the fish oil for fertilizing the grain...apparently that's not something I was taught at school, but now I know! Loved the puzzle where you have to purposly lose at naughts and crosses against the worst player ever!

Anyone every played Ripley's Believe It or Not!: The Riddle of Master Lu?

I remember liking this one, but last time I played it I had just bought it new. :)

I also played it when it was brand new although I thought it sucked big time.

There are many games mentioned in this thread that's not even close of being obscure in my book. Although I agree about I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream which is a really interesting and unfortunetaly unknown game.

Anybody played Cruise for a Corpse?

cover_8532a7d9602badea409b3f26e333a5ef_l.jpg

Loved Blade Runner! Brilliant atmosphere and great story, almost as good as the film if I may say so!

Anyone every played Ripley's Believe It or Not!: The Riddle of Master Lu?

I remember liking this one, but last time I played it I had just bought it new. :)

I also played it when it was brand new although I thought it sucked big time.

There are many games mentioned in this thread that's not even close of being obscure in my book. Although I agree about I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream which is a really interesting and unfortunetaly unknown game.

Anybody played Cruise for a Corpse?

cover_8532a7d9602badea409b3f26e333a5ef_l.jpg

cruise for a corpse was the second point and click game I played on my sons amiga after playing "SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND".

I remember being extremely disappointed and bored with it and doubt if I even finished it.

cruise for a corpse was the second point and click game I played on my sons amiga after playing "SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND". I remember being extremely disappointed and bored with it and doubt if I even finished it.

Yes, I remember that it really had one of the most boring beginnings ever. That's probably the main reason why it fell in to obscurity (even though it was developed by the same team who made Another World and Flashback). Although it got rather good after a while .

Anybody played Shadow Of The Comet? A rather good Lovecraft game that had more or less the same problem.

Shadow_of_the_Comet_cover.jpg

This game isnt perfect, but holy moley if you want a good sci-fi FMV myst-like, with lots of cheesey goodness (peter graves as narrator, and mst3k involvement) with an awesome progressive rock soundtrack, get this game. Now. Darkstar: the interactive movie.

darkstar.png

I haven't played this one in 15 years, but I remember this one being pretty rad:

Deathgate

Seconded! I remember Death Gate as being the best Legend adventure (of their new interface era). The spell system allowed for some ingenious puzzles.

Also by Legend Entertainment:

Timequest

cleo_timequest.gif

I love time traveling puzzles, and Timequest contains some very neat brain-wrangling time conundrums. As a bonus, all the historical events in the game are (more or less) based on known facts and the way you influence them is like a speculative explanation why history happened as it did. Also, Timequest has one of the best end game puzzles of all adventures I know.

This. I loved Timequest!

And also Sorcerers Get All the Girls. Although in hindsight that game probably warped my young, innocent mind.

spellcasting-101-sorcerers-get-all-the-girls_5.png

Sign in to follow this