Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Untoldent

Best Adventure Game No One's Ever Heard Of

Kudos to all who mentioned Little Big Adventure, although it's technically not an adventure game, more of a action/platform title. It's the first PC game I ever played and still one of my favorites!

Discworld Noir, already cited many times is wonderful too!

Here are a few of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet (I think):

The older, lesser known Cryo games, Dragon Lore 2

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dragon-lore-ii-the-heart-of-the-dragon-man

Never finished this one though, it was hard, a mix of point & click QTE-esque actions sequences...

and Lost Eden

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/lost-eden

Beautiful and poetic, great characters (the narrator is a pteranodon!), great voice acting, great music. Check out the screenshots on the mobygames page!

Lastly, Versailles 1685, but I guess you have to be french (oui monsieur), AND love baroque music (tout à fait!), to find an interest in this one... http://www.mobygames.com/game/versailles-1685

Apart from that, there's Alternativa, by czech developer Centauri Production, which was recently released on steam. Non-linear storyline set in Prague a dystopian 2050... I've recently started playing it, it looks interesting. http://www.centauriproduction.com/alternativa.php

I apologize for the lack of screenshots, but I must confess I'm a noob: I don't know how to implement screenshots in my post...

Yes Alternativa was good.

But I really waiting for Memento Mori 2. (Centauri, too) It´s pre-ordered and I got ingame vids and screenshots from staff of dtp who release it!

Hmmm I can not believe no one mentioned this one yet.

142413-ripley-s-believe-it-or-not-the-riddle-of-master-lu-dos-screenshot.png

Ripley's Believe It or Not!: The Riddle of Master Lu

This one is a great Adventure game and most people do not even know this game. Yes it was released in 1995 and yes its now hard to find. But if you do play it. Its a fantastic Point and Click Adventure with good puzzles and a nice story.

Damn, guys. I thought I was the only one who remembered some of these great but obscure games. :) Good to see that their memory is being kept alive. Here a couple of good FMV noir games that I didn't see mentioned.

The Dame was Loaded

28767-the-dame-was-loaded-dos-screenshot-need-dough-play-a-few-hag

28768-the-dame-was-loaded-dos-screenshot-louise-is-a-real-looker.jpg

28759-the-dame-was-loaded-dos-screenshot-navigation-map-which-has.jpg

Here's the trailer:

Noir: A Shadowy Thriller

32084-noir-a-shadowy-thriller-windows-3-x-screenshot-one-of-the-many.gif

32081-noir-a-shadowy-thriller-windows-3-x-screenshot-jack-slayton.gif

Sure worth checking out. Especially the first.

This one is a great Adventure game and most people do not even know this game. Yes it was released in 1995 and yes its now hard to find. But if you do play it. Its a fantastic Point and Click Adventure with good puzzles and a nice story.

Someone did mention it! It's on the previous page :)

Someone did mention it! It's on the previous page :)

Damn i missed that xD

Ok two people now knew this game. But it is really worth posting it two times^^

The Journeyman Project trilogy. For some reason no one I talk to EVER seems to have heard of these, but IMO they're brilliant. The first one is a bit rough around the edges, but 2 and 3... mmmh. Love.

I have! One of them came free with my very first computer, and I had a good time with it.

@Darji

No not only two. ;)

But I can calm you. I bought it a month (or two) ago. And I´m now playing it. I´m nearly at the end.

So many games...this thread is going to absolutely DESTROY any productivity I had planned for this year...

Also interesting German games: Andromedas Erbe 1 and 2 and Mission Supernova 1 and 2. Andromedas Erbe 2 was one of my first adventure games besides Goblins 3 and Dott.

Mission Supernova 1:

Mission Supernova 2: (sceenshots from picture 9)

http://www.secondmoon.de/horst/msnshot.html

And there´s a little joke about Larry 1. :cheese:

Andromedas Erbe 1:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7-7eZp_nWA

Andromedas Erbe 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtnEwswb1wU

Great ingame music!

Wow, I was looking for the name of Mission Supernova for aaages so I could find it again and play it! Thank you so much for mentioning it!

I quite liked Woodruff and Lost Eden.

Btw, there's a whole class of adventures that hasn't been mentioned here yet. Maybe it is a phenomenon that only appears in adventure-crazy Germany but I have played a lot of "advertisement adventures". These have been produced by companies or governmental organisations for campaining and advertisement so they were mostly shareware.

The following ones come to mind: Abenteuer Europa, Backstage, Das Erbe, Das Telekommando (1&2), Dunkle Schatten (1&2), Victor Loomes.

Here are some screens:

1991_Das-Erbe-Computerspiel.jpg

4698_dbs1.png

Bundesministerium-Dunkle_Schatten.jpg

6fe79276728bc7ed7cff3dc2fb788fd3.jpg

vl_04.jpg

Oh, and maybe someone can help me identify this game: It came in a film can, I think you played a detective and it was made up of pre-filmed scenes.

Oh, and maybe someone can help me identify this game: It came in a film can, I think you played a detective and it was made up of pre-filmed scenes.

Do you think you would recognize its name? If so, look through these articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interactive_movie

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_interactive_movies

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_motion_video

If not, what else do you remember about the game. Like, what PC did you play it on, what decade was it released, what kind of graphics, what storyline, what was the storage format (CD-ROM?), and so on.

I've followed this thread pretty closely and unfortunately this mystery game I remember from my childhood hasn't been mentioned yet. I posted in the Your Fav Adventures? thread and no one guessed it there, so I'm gonna copy my post here. Hopefully a forum of adventure game fans can help me figure out what game this was. I swear I’ve gone through wikipedia’s and MobyGames' list of adventure games and I don't recognize any names.

I don’t remember who made it or what the goal was. I don't think it was a licensed game. I think it was kind of an Indiana Jones-explorer-type protagonist. The graphics were definitely pixelated, and I want to say they were better than the 80s, so could be early-to-mid 90s, or late-80s.

The only screens I remember: the guy’s apartment/house (only one screen, maybe a living room or a bedroom), the parking lot outside of a science building, the science building itself where there might have been a hallway you could walk down, but if not then it was only a lab. I COULD pick up a beaker in the lab. I don't remember if the beaker is related, but after that I remember going back to the apartment/house to find out it was trashed. There was something sparkling on the floor (might have been a ring) you could pick up.

Some point further: I remember something to do with a plane flying over the Amazon (or a similar rainforest) and for some reason (maybe failure) the game over screen at this point was a jail cell popped up in the middle of the screen with some humanoid-monster inside (Maybe some creepy jungle monster...thing?). Maybe the protag fell out of the plane, or parachuted down? I think you got a game over if you waited too long to do something. The only other screen I remember was further along and was a shootout, where you hid behind a rock close to the screen while another guy shot at you from behind another rock far away. I want to say there was a rope bridge too, but I don’t know if you could go on it or not since I never got past the shootout.

It is not Flight of the Amazon Queen. Checking screenshots and youtube videos, I know this is definitely not it.

It was in English. I am American, so it wasn't from any other country.

I don't remember if it had voice acting, but I don't think it did.

I was born in 1989, and we had it on an old DOS machine. I would've been playing it around '94-'98, no later than that as that's when Pokemon Red and Playstation took over my gaming habits. It was most likely earlier than '95, because I think the machine was relatively old by the time I started using it. This was a machine that had Jill of the Jungle on it as well, if that helps date it.

The thing is, I don't even remember if this was a GOOD game. I just want to figure out what it is regardless of quality. Anyone have any idea what this game is?

Whoa, that's it! Thanks!

Now to see if it'll work on Windows 7.

EDIT: Going through those screenshots, it looks completely awful, haha. But there's the lab, the parking lot, the rope bridge, and the jail cell with the "monster" I remember as a kid just being a weird looking guy.

It's not a bad game and it should definitely work with DOSBOX. Access' early games are enjoyable. Here's hoping Chris Jones and Aaron Conners enjoy success with their kickstarter campaign next month. Would love to see a new Tex Murphy. What's it been? 14 years since the last one? Damn, I'm getting old :)

Anyone remember Hugo?

I only had/played Hugo 3 and I remember I got stuck about one hour into the game and despite trying many times I couldn't get past it (I recall knowing what I had to do but it was typing it in correctly that was holding me back - just couldn't get the wording right, I think).

EDIT

Hah, I just now realized that I probably couldn't move that stupid boulder because I had the shareware version and it was blocking the path to keep me from proceeding. Hah!

The Black Dahlia

One of my favourite FMVs. I am actually surprised it wasn't mentioned so far.

One of the better FMVs but some very hard puzzles, and too few scenes with the late and great Dennis Hopper. I got the CD version with 8 discs which can be a bit of a hazzle.

Edit: A quite good FMV is Conspiracies, made by some greek: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/conspiracies

I actually tried to play Black Dahlia CD version through not so long time ago. After I installed all the patches and what not I was abel to get in the later part of the game only to encounter a gam crashing bug, that made it impossible to go any further.

How about "Titantic Adventure Out of Time" I played the crap out of that game. Props on mentioning "Timelapse" also.

I echo the Touch Detective games recommendation. They were both completely charming games with a great atmosphere and good dialogue.

Hm, I think I came across this when I was still collecting obscure adventure games. Never bought it in the end and I can't remember the name either! You should post this question over at the AdventureGamers forum. Some true collectors are over there who are eager and probably able to help you!

Sign in to follow this