Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Drgeert

POLL: device type preference (not OS type)

What would be your preferred device to play a point and click adventure on, provided the controls are as good as possible?  

309 members have voted

1. 1. What would be your preferred device to play a point and click adventure on, provided the controls are as good as possible?

• Desktop
    • Console (with TV)
    • Portable game device or iPod Touch
    • Tablet
    • Touch smartphone

When Double Fine said that Steam on PC was their starting point, I was worried.

After years of starving, I'm having a point and click revival, thanks to my smartphone.

I've played the Monkey Island series, and discovered Under A Steal Sky, Broken Sword, Hector and Phoenix Wright, all thanks to my phone. The only one missing was Grim Fandango.

Then came Kickstarter and I have become really hopeful for something with the same quality as Grim Fandango for my phone, but I'm still afraid that I'm living on a planet different from Double Fine's.

And this gives me this uncanny feeling that iOS to Double Fine means tablets, not phones. Which would be really sad.

Anyway, if you ask me, not desktop computers should be the starting point for designing point and click adventures, and not even tablets, but smartphones.

Some arguments to support this:

- on a phone, you can play point and click adventures whenever you want, for long periods or really short periods.

- graphic art is important, but storyline and puzzles are more important. They wouldn't suffer.

- point and click adventures for smartphones can have perfect interfaces, like the Hector series.

I bet not everyone will agree and and my point may even turn out to be not very strong after some discussion.

Hence this poll.

I haven't really gotten into adventure games on my phone (although I do have ScummVM installed), but I agree that phones and tablets are a major platform and for a lot of people, including myself, they might be more attractive simply because you can take them with you and play where you have the chance.

...this uncanny feeling that iOS to Double Fine means tablets, not phones....

As a developer, I can say that if it will compile and run on the iPad, then it will compile and run on an iPhone. The only real problem is the resolution difference. As long as they setup their OpenGL context correctly, I don't see there being any problems running on at least the iPhone4 and 4s without reducing assets (because of retina). It might look a little stretched if you compared the two or there might be some cropping involved because of the aspect differences. My designs usually include sections of the screen that can be cropped.

For the 3Gs, there would need to be some build scripts that reduce the image resolution and pack everything into atlases/sprite sheets. There's a lot of coordinate conversion going on, but I suspect that if their pipeline includes multiple devices with different resolutions, they would already have the tools in place to do all that.

How fast does ScummVM drain the battery of a smartphone? Is it possible to play and still have your phone working at the end of the day?

I dont mind playing on any of my consoles but i prefer my PC then if it is possible i will play on my Android/iPhone.

I can understand the argument "whenever you have time to play" since its time these days seems to be more of an issue then the willingness to play.

I'm looking forward to this and I am not worried that the experience will be much different between PC and a smartphone.

Since the game would be if over budget multi platform and I am quite certain that the people over att double fine knows that introducing this game to Smart phone will allow them to get an ever bigger audience.

...this uncanny feeling that iOS to Double Fine means tablets, not phones....

As a developer, I can say that if it will compile and run on the iPad, then it will compile and run on an iPhone. The only real problem is the resolution difference. As long as they setup their OpenGL context correctly, I don't see there being any problems running on at least the iPhone4 and 4s without reducing assets (because of retina). It might look a little stretched if you compared the two or there might be some cropping involved because of the aspect differences. My designs usually include sections of the screen that can be cropped.

For the 3Gs, there would need to be some build scripts that reduce the image resolution and pack everything into atlases/sprite sheets. There's a lot of coordinate conversion going on, but I suspect that if their pipeline includes multiple devices with different resolutions, they would already have the tools in place to do all that.

There's one more difference: clicking vs tapping precision.

In order to solve that for smartphones, Double Fine has several options, each of which has more or less impact on design and workflow.

1: implement some overlay where you move a cursor while using the screen like you use a touchpad. Example: Monkey Island running on iPhone.

That leads to rather bad controls, some extra work compared to iPad, and a screen layout that makes optimal use of desktops but not smartphones.

2: redesign screen layout specifically for iPhone by placing buttons differently and implement some smartphone specific controls. Example: Broken Sword. This is really great, but the most work I guess. And it may lead to too complicated scenes for iPhone screens.

3: take small screens into account from the very beginning, which means pictures don't get panoramic and you have a limited amount of clickable objects per screen. The example is Hector. The controls are brilliant, no extra work, but graphically you don't make optimal use of larger screens.

Needless to say that as a phone adventurer I would opt for #3, but the polls seem to suggest that most adventurers are still bound to their desktops, so right now I hope Double Fine is willing and able to go for #2!

How fast does ScummVM drain the battery of a smartphone? Is it possible to play and still have your phone working at the end of the day?

I played through Sam & Max an HTC Desire, not much of a drain at all - played a couple of hours each day on it and the battery lasted fine, just did the usual charge overnight; I guess it depends how much time you're wanting to spend playing...

Voted desktop, but really that means laptop (I don't even own a desktop anymore).

Desktop. That's the only way I have played Adventure games. However, the idea of doing it on a touch device like an iPad isn't a bad idea. The adventure genre is a perfect fit for it! So I will definitely try it out on iOS when it comes out

I played through Sam & Max an HTC Desire, not much of a drain at all - played a couple of hours each day on it and the battery lasted fine, just did the usual charge overnight; I guess it depends how much time you're wanting to spend playing...

Thanks for the reply. I tried DOTT on my Galaxy S Plus and it works pretty good. I am planing to play it over the weekend and I think I'll play for about 4 hours at least. I'll see how my battery feels after that.

Totally desktop. Decent screen size, decent well-known interface peripheral type (who needs more, or less, than a keyboard and mouse?), great speaker set up so you can hear sound and music in full quality (the speakers on tablets, phones, and even laptops are no where near adequate), also it's much easier to play with other people. But seriously, the sound issue most of all. It's bad enough watching movies with such small speakers. Games should have the same fair experience. You're missing out on so much with music and sound effects by such limited sound.

I'll be playing it on PC, but I would also enjoy an XBLA/PSN version if possible.

I'm really up for it on any platform, or every platform! But I have most conventional platforms this could go on, so I am up for it on any if the gameplay type works for the platform.

With a tablet you can play everywhere, it is lighter in weight, it is natural to use my fingers to point and click. But desktop/laptop is the 2nd best.

I love the nostalgia of playing it on a desktop, but I want this to be something my kids get into as much as I will! While they are certainly PC kids, the tablet would be a big hit with them. I don't have an Ipad though, so android as well please (if that route is taken), so I voted for Tablet. Personally, I'm an Xbox guy, almost never on PC anymore, probably cause I'm sick of being glued to it every workday!

I'd like to play on my MacBook Pro probably via steam, second choice my Win7 htpc box followed by tablet (iPad). Ive play the Monkey Island releases on iPad but have preferred replaying Fate of Atlantis and The Dig on my laptop.

I love playing adventure games on a smartphone. I mean I'm glad the game is multiplatform and I do want to enjoy it on PC, but I've been playing a lot of SCUMMVM on my phone and I love it.

Desktop for me. I just like the feel of it better - feels more like the oldschool game this one is supposed to be.

With controls as good as possible, I'd like it on a console.

I could sit on my comfortable couch. Playing on a computer is always uncomfortable since I have some nerve damage in one of my hands.

Intel Core i7 950 @ 3.07

Asus P6T SE

3 x 2GB Kingston DDR3 @ 1066

HIS Radeon HD 5850 1GB

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Intel SSD 160GB

2 x Seagate 7200.12 1500GB

Antec TruePower Trio 550W

Antec P-180

Asus PA 238Q

Logitech Z-5500 5.1

Logitech Illuminated Keyboard

Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

Cyber Snipa - Aluminium mouse pad

Xbox 360 Controller

:-)

I personally will be playing it on my desktop. As it seems the majority will. I certainly don't have any problem with it being released for phones or tablets and such, it would be unfair not to, except ONE issue, which is a major issue for me, which is probably one of the few "inputs" I'd have (I'm not having any preference for story elements or puzzle types, I'm trusting DFP to shine, no matter how tired or cliched a plot or theme they may possibly choose).

If (well, since) it is going to be on multiple platforms with vastly differing methods of input (Keyboard vs gamepad vs touchscreen),

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I hope they don't optimise the interface for only one of these platforms, and then use this interface on all the platforms.

I have no desire to be sitting on my computer and having to click, hold and drag the mouse to make my character walk, for example (the only Tales of Monkey Island game I played).

I have no desire to have to scroll through and click menu items one at a time in a linear sequence, when I have several buttons on my keyboard, and 4 directional arrow keys (like in Skyrim).

So yeah, if I was being selfish, I'd say design for the desktop, and then optimise for whatever the other platforms are. Whatever happens, I hope they don't have one platform suffer in in the UI simply because that works easier like that on the other platform.

But hey.... I trust they know how to do things right, I guess (hope ;P).

Considering the only platform I actually own is a PC that is where I hope and expect to play the game (also stated as the expected start point for Double Fine).

I can understand wanting to do other platforms and considering the extra funding available I would be surprised if they didn't at least consider doing ports or parallel designs for other platforms.

I have to say though, having played a number of ports from console or other devices to PC it is exceptionally rare for ports to work well going that direction. They usually feel like you are hamstrung since the any PC bought in the last 3 or 4 years outperforms other devices handily and PC's have the most input flexibility. For simplicity when I say PC I'm referring to any desktop or laptop (though in my case it is a windows 7 PC). On the flip-side that advantage can make any attempt to go the other way difficult at best.

One example of that going well is DE:HR where they had a PC design team and a console design team to rework it to accommodate either system and by all accounts they pulled it off well (horrible boss fights excluded), but that was a massive project with an enormous budget.

Sign in to follow this