Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Norbert

What boards should we request from DF for the "Kickstarter Backers-Only Area"?

I'm planning to PM (private message) forum administrator "DF Greg" (Greg Rice) and ask him to create a couple more boards in this "Kickstarter Backers-Only Area" of the forum.

Right now, we have:

- - - - - - - - - -

DFA Announcements and Updates

DFA Discussion and Feedback

DFA Spoiler Free Zone

- - - - - - - - - -

With less than 10 threads in the 3rd board and more than 100 in the 2nd.

Most of our threads could probably have been created on the spoiler free board, but anyways...

What boards should I request Rice to create (and then move the already created threads to the appropriate boards)?

Below is a list of boards that I have in mind.

(I'm going to assume the first two boards will stay, but "DFA Announcements and Updates" only for announcements from DF, and "DFA Discussion and Feedback" only for threads created by DF.)

Please let me know what you think, should anything be added/remove/merged?

- DFA: Platforms/Engine

- DFA: Interface/Input/Gameplay

- DFA: Storyline/Plot

- DFA: Puzzles/Content

- DFA: Graphics

- DFA: Music/Sound

- DFA: Meta (Kickstarter, Finances, Rewards)

- DFA: Characters

- Adventure Games in General

- Polls

- Off-Topic

There is already an Off-Topic in the non-private forum section, but let's be honest... we can use one here as well.

I'm especially unsure about the need for separate Polls and Characters boards.

Then people won't use them properly and and I'll try to help and and people will shout at me and and it will be days before I have the confidence to go outside again!*

*I need toilet paper.

And maybe a separate board were Aristotlol can discuss Star Control 2. ;-P

Aw yeah! Can I haz plz?

Edit: We could call it "Aristotally Star Control 2". Or "Aristotlolly Star Control 2". Either is fine, I'm not greedy. Or megalomaniacal.

Or people could start posting in the regular DFA board (the non-private one) because most topics have nothing to do with the backer only area. No, I don't think we need more boards.

They already might have plans for more forums, let 'em do there thing. It's not like these forums have been up for months yet. :D

Smiles

We just need the action to start. People here are bored.

This is something I've been thinking over a lot. We're still trying to decide what is right, but I think a few new boards would definitely help keep things focused and organized. Currently I'm thinking it would be good to add boards for the main disciplines of a development team. They would essentially encapsulate what you've got here. Something like:

Programming (Platforms, Engine)

Design (Interface, Input, Gameplay, Puzzles)

Writing (Storyline, Plot, Content, Characters)

Art (Graphics)

Audio (Music, Sound)

Seems like it would help organize things, while also allowing folks a glimpse into these actual roles in the studio. What do you think? Leave it as is? Do something like this?

And I think separate boards for the documentary, off-topic, and Kickstarter would be good too. Only worry is cluttering things up.

This is something I've been thinking over a lot. We're still trying to decide what is right, but I think a few new boards would definitely help keep things focused and organized. Currently I'm thinking it would be good to add boards for the main disciplines of a development team. They would essentially encapsulate what you've got here. Something like:

Art (Graphics)

Audio (Music, Sound)

Seems like it would help organize things, while also allowing folks a glimpse into these actual roles in the studio. What do you think? Leave it as is? Do something like this?

I think that sounds pretty good, definitely. Specific, yet broad... Oh man, I think I'm going into some kind of Zen trance.

And I think separate boards for the documentary, off-topic, and the documentary would be good too. Only worry is cluttering things up.

You might want to clarify that a bit. :P

Your previous suggestion about the different boards seems good though.

I think this is a step in the right direction. I was all about this forums in the beginning, but almost everything being in one board is over whelming. Trying to find things I want to read about is really hard, and when you post something it seems to get swept away by the mass amount of threads.

I like the 5 game boards and the 1 documentary board idea. Multiple off-topic boards seem unnecessary.

To be honest the current flood of topics is more of a hypothetical “what would you like” made by Backers that could very well be posted on the public forums, some of them even lack relevance, we haven’t been asked/told anything besides the private/public debacle yet.

So the current state doesn’t really matter, the spoiler free forum is also irrelevant since we don’t really have anything to spoil yet, but organizing topics based on the area of development would be nice and helpful down the road, particularly since different people will be working on different things and having any posts team members make separate would help get attention to a single issue.

But again if you going to do something like this better wait until you get underway with the development so you got something to show, right now it would only be a backer “what you’d like” bunch of topics just separated on subject, which doesn’t really serve anything.

A general place like the current Discussion forum should stay in place for when you announce things that don’t really belong in a single category, like for example when you eventually (presumably) announce the team members working on the game and their roles.

EDIT: Oh and we don’t need an off topic forum available only to Backers, you should avoid creating a forum within a forum, Backer only area should only concern the game and documentary.

For some reason, I'm feeling that "Art" and "Audio" should be merged into "Aesthetics" or something similar. The two work very closely together in creating the "feel," after all, and I think people interested in those things would benefit from talking to each other. Maybe? Then again, I guess a similar argument could be applied to merging any of the sections.

Also, an off the wall suggestion. This is a bit odd, because there is the "no advertising" rule, but it seems like a lot of people want to show off their own work. Right now, lots of people are awkwardly linking to their portfolio's in their signatures. It might be better just to give people a section to do so. Maybe a section called "Backer Creations?"

I'm pretty sure this would actually be a bad idea, but I just thought I'd throw it out there. There are a lot of talented people here, and I think if people want to network with other people who are passionate enough about the sort of games Double Fine makes and share their work, I think that would give them a way to do so that doesn't feel so... scumm-my. (oh-ho-ho)

This is something I've been thinking over a lot.

Hey, cool, I didn't expect you to see this thread.

I'm glad you agree a few new boards could be useful, and boards like those you suggest would probably be fine.

We definitely need an off-topic board and a general adventure games discussion board. More specific DFA-related boards should come out as needed once information about the game starts to come out.

I'm most interested in a dev blog thread or forum where user comments are disabled, or at least not mixed in among the DF posts. I'd prefer not to wade through user comments unless I choose to do so.

I like this idea a lot. Right now everything is just a mess of threads and hard to mentally organize who is discussing what, and where. I'd be good to go into the Audio forum and discuss the soundtrack or something. Right now, sifting through all these forums is difficult.

For some reason, I'm feeling that "Art" and "Audio" should be merged into "Aesthetics" or something similar. The two work very closely together in creating the "feel," after all, and I think people interested in those things would benefit from talking to each other.

Maybe a section called "Backer Creations?"

I feel bad for this

but I had to Plus One here.

At least in haiku!

Definitely more DF ONLY threads with locked comments or threads at the top.., these boards and kickstarter are getting ridiculous.

General or alternative DFA. When you don't know where it fits but it does. Also maybe an alternative board non-DFA for things that aren't off topic but don't fit into the forementioned boards.

I'm still of the opinion that a lot of this will make more sense once things are underway.

Cart before the horse and all that. Without knowing how the project is actually going to work, I'm not sure it makes sense to start building a framework.

But that won't stop me from throwing my hat into the ring with the following proposed boards:

"Unsolicited Opinions" - Game suggestions from backers initiated by backers (Open posting)

"RFC" - Dev-initiated feedback opportunities (New threads by devs only, open replies)

"Proclamations from On High" - Dev announcements (New threads by devs only, no replies)

"Complete and Utter Chaos" - Off-topic and general discussion (Open posting)

And once the beta gets underway, we'll obviously need these additional forums:

"Audio Bugs (Dialogue)"

"Audio Bugs (Sound Effects)"

"Audio Bugs (Music)"

"Audio Bugs (Telepathic Projections)"

"Scripting Bugs (Inventory)"

"Scripting Bugs (Quest Goals)"

"Scripting Bugs (Dialogue)"

"Scripting Bugs (Psychonauts 2)"

"Graphics Bugs (Backgrounds, Static)"

"Graphics Bugs (Backgrounds, Dynamic)"

"Graphics Bugs (Menus)"

"Graphics Bugs (Inventory Items)"

"Graphics Bugs (Character Sprite)"

"Graphics Bugs (Character Sierra Mist)"

(...and so on.)

Personally I think we should make an additional off topic forum just for backers. I for one am proud to count myself among the bourgeois of true adventure fans and for a gentry like me to even consider mingling, online or otherwise, with the common rabble is too much for my good taste to handle. Let the plebeians eat cake I say!

Nah, just joking, though I do think a nice off topic forum would be a good idea for later on. As we procede with development the odds of what happens in documentaries and through project updates spilling into other discussions that may not be related to DFA is only going to increase. Having a separate, backer only off topic channel would help reduce the risk of spoilers spilling into the general forums. And when someone wants to actually reference a backer only forum post to help illustrate their point this'll help keep the other people reading what they're saying from being confused.

Art (Graphics)

Audio (Music, Sound)

I think this would be an interesting system to test. I don't think a project like this has been done on this sort of scale before so experiment away.

Lets poke it and see what happens.

Art (Graphics)

Audio (Music, Sound)

I think it's a great idea to separate out the disciplines and help focus the discussion. Plus it could help people hone in on which part(s) they are most interested in without wading through all the other posts. As said by somebody else, they're broad enough but specific enough.

Great ideas!

Art (Graphics)

Audio (Music, Sound)

That sounds like a great idea to me... I think things will become a little more obvious too, when the actual production starts... Right now I think things are working fine, but that's just my opinion.

What is that old Steinbeck quote? "The best laid plans of mice and men...?"

And I think separate boards for the documentary, off-topic, and Kickstarter would be good too. Only worry is cluttering things up.

Can't imagine it getting any worse than how DFA Discussion and Feedback is right now.

And while you're at it, a separate board for Polls.

I'm most interested in a dev blog thread or forum where user comments are disabled, or at least not mixed in among the DF posts. I'd prefer not to wade through user comments unless I choose to do so.

This.

+1

Cheers

*Bump*

Currently I'm thinking it would be good to add boards for the main disciplines of a development team. They would essentially encapsulate what you've got here. Something like:

Art (Graphics)

Audio (Music, Sound)

+

And I think separate boards for the documentary, off-topic, and Kickstarter would be good too.

All of these please, Greg.

Thanks. :cheese:

We definitely need an off-topic board and a general adventure games discussion board.
Personally I think we should make an additional off topic forum just for backers.

Yes, as Greg posted as well, we definitely also need an off-topic board for the private section.

Please also move the existing threads to the correct, newly created boards.

I definitely think there should be a place for discussion of other games not related to DFA in the backers area. Because a lot of the discussion forum at the moment is given over to other games and kickstarter projects, etc. To make it clear that this particular forum is to talk about the game, and DFA.

Sign in to follow this