Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BaddestEver

Off Topic: Tower Defense Games

I know this is an Iron Brigade Forum, and I know everyone is here because they love Iron Brigade. With that in mind, I don't think it's entirely inappropriate to discuss/compare/recommend other games in the Tower Defense genre. Variety helps keep games fresh, and I want Iron Brigade to stay fresh.

So what else are you guys playing? Anyone tried Dungeon Defenders or Toy Soldiers? I've tried the demos for Defenders of Ardania and Defense Grid, but they just seem so stale in comparison to Iron Brigade. I feel like I need to be DOING SOMETHING in between placing towers or watching waves.

Anyone tried Armored Core 5? I know it's not a Tower Defense game, but the Mech customization aspects of the game look pretty sick.

I bought Defense Grid on Steam and enjoy it, although once you get a feel for the game, it's basically a waiting game (but I don't mind so much since I play it casually when I want to relax and listen to music). Only other tower defense games I've played have been shitty flash-based ones on the web. I wanna try out Dungeon Defenders at some point though.

Imagine a game like defense grid, but instead of aliens you have stacking dolls and instead of towers you have trenches !

The end game stage could be a sleeping giant double-headed baby/thing from the double fine logo, with flying bears as enemies !

Your mission is to stop them from waking the baby and releasing the broadcast !

Tried the demos and said 'meh' Spent YEARS playing the random flash ones online, beating just about every one and then playing around. Vector TD and it's spawnings were a good distraction.

As for Armored Core, not really my thing. If I wouldn't have played chromehounds I would probably love AC, but because I fell so deeply into Chromehounds I just find AC so.... broken and not right -.-

In my deepest mindset I think the best mech game is slower paced, skill oriented, and strategic, every AC I've played is more run and gun Unreal Tournament speed, which I enjoyed prior to Chromehounds, but afterwords? Not so much. Kinda sucks as I was good at the older ones, the new ones might be in my range of things I'm great at x3 But my stubbornness says 'Too fast. Not Chromehounds.'

Defense Grid is really fantastic. I love that game a lot!

Jurney showed me Don't Touch My Gems and I played THE SHIT out of that game. It's really great. They have a great WoW-style talent tree that you put points into that makes the game really compelling.

I played Toy Soldiers and I thought it was pretty great! The fact that they limit you to only a few pre-placed tower locations is kind of a bummer though. I have not played Cold War yet but I probably should! I loved seeing all of the G.I.Joe 80's references that they jammed into that game.

I've heard great things about Dungeon Defenders but I tried it and it just wasn't really doing it for me. Not sure why exactly because it's VERY similar to IRON BRIGADE! I think it was the extremely short range of the towers that bummed me out a lot. Towers in IRON BRIGADE can shoot pretty far and I think I was spoiled. :D And I think I'm just personally sick or Orcs n Elves. But that is most definitely a personal preference. It seemed like a very well made package. :)

I played a TON of Kingdom Rush when I first got my iPad in December. That game is absolutely fantastic.

The only one I can think of is Defense Grid but its a great example. Enjoying Iron Brigade much more though. I think Iron Brigade strikes a nice balance between action and tower defense.

Yeah, I tried Dungeon Defenders too. I don't know if it's the Art style, the complexity, or what...but I just don't think I could get into it. I honestly didn't give it much of a chance, though. Iron Brigade is the perfect blend of customization, strategy, and teamwork without any of it being overwhelming.

I love Kingdom Rush! And I tried the Don't touch my Gems game yesterday. Good stuff :)

I recently picked up Orcs must Die, which is pretty fun, though I really miss the co-op that Iron Brigade offers. Single player is fun for a few playthroughs, but multiplayer is what hooks me into a game.

Has anyone heard of Anomaly: Warzone Earth ? It's a "reverse" tower defense game, and it's coming to the Xbox !

I wonder if it's any good ? Looks fun :-)

Sign in to follow this