Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ZXCallum

75% of us have so far voted for 'Super private' but is that realistic, enforceable or fair?

I actually thought that the poll was more about what is the official position on sharing of information (Tim actually says as much in his first post on that poll). To me, there's two questions about the security of information there, what is the official position and what happens if people do? The poll answers the first, and a majority of the comments answered the second with "nothing - don't waste resources policing it, we'll just accept it as a consequence of 90,000 backers." Each person can make their own choice about sharing or not sharing, but at least they have a "well, the community-consensus was to not share" to start from, whether they choose to ignore that and share anyway or not.

Hmm, I'm not really sure what the implications are either way... I'd like them to share info on the progress of the game - and I don't think they could do that, unless the forums are private... so... I voted private.

It feels like this part of the board has become a "who-makes-the-funniest-thread-and-gets-noticed-by-DF-staff-members-competition".
Not true. I want everyone to notice me, not just the DF staff!

I find a legal grey area in the idea that he supported people without credit cards to buy like store debit cards from walmarts....

and then to put up an NDA where its 18+ only because of legalities...well you had to have that advertised first before you can really do that.

I don't think its unfair to not want information disseminated outside the forum but I don't know if its fair for those particular individuals to have to be 18+ after the fact.

Now we're having a poll about another poll?

It feels like this part of the board has become a "who-makes-the-funniest-thread-and-gets-noticed-by-DF-staff-members-competition". There is already a thread for this discussion and it certainly doesn't need another poll.

Just my 2 cents.

I just want to make lots of bad jokes and have a good time.

I only voted super private because of the lack of intermediate options, same as a lot of other people.

This.

Now we're having a poll about another poll?

It feels like this part of the board has become a "who-makes-the-funniest-thread-and-gets-noticed-by-DF-staff-members-competition". There is already a thread for this discussion and it certainly doesn't need another poll.

Just my 2 cents.

I just want to make lots of bad jokes and have a good time.

Amen to that. I'm sure the DF team will sticky anything important.

Replying to the title of the post rather than the OP content...

Realistic? No. Information will leak. With 80K+ people having access to the info, leaks are a given.

Enforceable? No, short of DF just plain stopping posting any sort of information to ANYONE once a leaked video/information piece is discovered. And then sequestering themselves in the offices until the game is done, shutting off all phone lines and network access to the building, growing their own food on-site so they don't have to call out for pizza...so that the pizza delivery guys don't get a look at what they're doing and recording it all with the now-ubiquitous camera phones, etc...

Sort of like my adage that states the only truly "secure" server is one that is powered off, disconnected from any network, entombed in a 10-ton block of concrete, and sunk to the bottom of the Marianas Trench.

Fair? "Fair" is a place where grown men in bib overalls toss cow chips for distance, usually preceded by either the word "state" or "county." Nothing else in life is "fair."

That heaping load of cynicism aside, like a lot of others, I went for the 'private' vote because of the lack of other choices and my tendency to lean towards any given path which incorporates paranoia.

Sign in to follow this