Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SoreThumb

How to stay on top of the forum for infrequent viewers?

Hey-

This forum's only been up for 5 days, and yet it's already booming and full...

I'm an infrequent viewer, and I don't plan to read every thread, and won't be here often enough to see how they update..

So, for people like me, how is it possible for us viewers to find, comment, and weigh in on bigger matters, in spite of the constant churning of this forum?

Just check the forum every time there's a kickstarter update direct from the devs. You can link most new phones to your email and if you have kickstarter sending you stuff, you'll know the moment it happens. I'm pretty sure they'll look to see our reactions then.

So it sounds more like the devs are going to use this forum as more of a 'gauge reaction' thing, versus a 'get ideas' thing?

Because I'm afraid of being so out of touch/not up to date with the decisions that my thoughts would omit important things, you know?

So it sounds more like the devs are going to use this forum as more of a 'gauge reaction' thing, versus a 'get ideas' thing?

Because I'm afraid of being so out of touch/not up to date with the decisions that my thoughts would omit important things, you know?

Pretty much. Its like doctor v patient during surgery. The patient knows they want somthing done and is paying to get it done but the doc knows how to cut you open without killing you. Game design is like that. Don't worry about it though. They're pros and I'm sure they'll stich together something awesome. We just gotta make sure to tell em where it hurts. Like I said, watch the kickstarter page for the major updates

I think the important threads are going to be "sticky" which means they will always be at the top of the list...

All I can tell you is that the official threads will probably be stickied. However, the problem of your voice being swept away in a flood of thousands of other ideas and opinions is an inevitability we will all have to accept. The only way to expect to rise above it is to maintain a presence here which would take alot of time and effort, and even that doesn't guarantee you any special notice given that the first issue, that of forum privacy, has already stretched to almost 20 pages. I'd say the poll result will be heard louder than any individual post.

Personally, I've kind of turned this forum into a daily hobby. I used to hang around IGN alot when I was at school, so I'm used to surfing the flow and churn of a busy forum.

Stop being infrequent.

[random]

That's what she said?

[/random]

Stop being infrequent.

That is desperately unhelpful.

Forums are a terrible a way to gather information, store it or gauge opinions. The people with the loudest voices are not necessarily the ones who should be heard the most and yet on a forum they can drown out everyone else. The situation is compounded here by the fact that we have all already paid something towards the game so we should all have some right to express our opinions about it. Yet someone who visits the forum bit more infrequently may either be put off by the mountains of threads they have to read before they can feel they are up to date or may avoid posting at all just in case the are repeating something which was already covered somewhere in the depths of some other thread they had no way of knowing about.

There’s no easy solution to this, it’s just a limitation of the nature of forums. Until someone decides to collect the information into a more sensible form like a wiki or something, there’s not really much you can do about it. But just suggesting that someone who has effectively already paid for the game is somehow obliged to read every post on the forum to stay involved isn’t helpful either.

Unless you were just making a pun. In which case - LOL

Subscribe to threads you want to keep up with here. Subscribe to Tim's or DF's twitter. Subscribe to the Kickstarter page

Forums are a terrible a way to gather information, store it or gauge opinions.

Nail on the head!

Until someone decides to collect the information into a more sensible form like a wiki or something, there’s not really much you can do about it.

Sounds like something I'd wait for..

Subscribe to threads you want to keep up with here. Subscribe to Tim's or DF's twitter. Subscribe to the Kickstarter page

I already get KS updates;

but I don't know if Twitter is going to be a thoughtful/aimed/comprehensive basis for a total understanding of the game's progress. :|

I think the 'check the stickies' is the best advice I can seek, even if they'll stretch on and on and on. :(

I think Tim and the gang should compile important feedback-related issues into Survey Monkeys and send them out to the e-mail addresses of the backers. Then we can all safely contribute at some level without the time requirements

I think Tim and the gang should compile important feedback-related issues into Survey Monkeys and send them out to the e-mail addresses of the backers. Then we can all safely contribute at some level without the time requirements

That's actually not a bad idea, kind of a "weigh in" alert when one of the devs goes "hey, what do you guys think about this?"

That's actually not a bad idea, kind of a "weigh in" alert when one of the devs goes "hey, what do you guys think about this?"

I would definitely support that if indeed there is an intention to gather input, just to make it a little fairer than being biased to whoever happens to be reading the threads at the time.

It might also be a good idea for Double Fine to set up a dedicated twitter account just for stuff to do with the game, I'd imagine a lot of folks would find that useful...

a wiki is a pretty good idea. But we still dont know how much information the dev's actually want to gather off us yet. Or whether this is just some cruel joke to keep us yapping while they make and finish the game on there own :)

Sign in to follow this