Sign in to follow this  
aaronscientiae

Loved 'specs' and want more

I can see why a publisher walked away from a challenging concept like that, but it could be developed a bit more. Any chance of seeing source code released, seeing as how the Kinect for Windows coming out? Could be quite a content creation kit.

Thanks! I liked that game too!

In a way...

I was a little relieved actually when the publisher decided not to go beyond that initial prototype. Not because I didn't like the game, but because it seemed like a huge amount of content to generate for all those branching paths.

Also, we had kind of designed ourselves into a corner. In my head, when I originally thought of the "emotion" buttons replacing adventure game verbs, I was imagining that the number of "target" objects to be similar to that of regular adventure games. That is to say, a number of them on every screen. But it was so hard just getting a kinect-driven cursor to distinguish between one or two objects per screen, especially in a time-sensitive puzzle. So we had much fewer than that. If you watch the demo you'll notice most screens have only 1 or 2 interactive objects per screen.

So, that exact game, code named Specs (after the awesome bar in North Beach) will probably never see the light of day, but the lessons learned and some of the ideas will no doubt be applied to future games.

PS For people who don't know what we're talking about:

Kotaku link

Joystiq link

My favorite part of this whole demo was the expert voice acting from one Mr. Tim Schafer. Any chance we will see more of that in the future?

EDIT: I've also been looking for any video of the GDC Amnesia Fortnight panel. Is there any that exists?

Just read an article about it over on destructoid and watched the clips and was soo amazed! Such a shame nobody wanted to pick it up!

But on the other hand when I read that you guys got stuck and designed yourselfs into a corner maybe it's good that it didn't see the light! Some things work some not and you shouldn't push them unnecessary!

None the less it looked very futuristic and progressive and I hope that something in this direction will become tangible in the future (yeah kinect- tangible- pun ;) )

This would have been a great counterpart to heavy rain on the Xbox and for me a definite reason to get kinect

edit: and a great way for games to interact on a emotional level even more!

I'm just trying to imagine Tim with this in front of a publisher.

"See, now I'm angry at these overalls."

"Okay Tim, whatever you say. Security!"