Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Always fun to start a new notebook!

...and as for doctor handwriting, I must ask the obvious question - how do pharmacists manage to read the incomprehensible scrawl a doctor scribbles down on a piece of paper for you to give them regarding a prescription? Is there a course they take for that in medical school? I can't make heads or tails of the bloody notes, and the pharmacist picks it up and just instantly knows what it says...HOW?!?
They do, in fact, take courses in deciphering "Doctor Scratch". Some of it may look like gibberish because it's in Rx shorthand, though some of it may be legitimately indecipherable scribbles.

That said, at our office all of our prescriptions are printed from a computerized Rx log and signed. The industry is moving in that direction in general because of how common mis-filled prescriptions are.

"You put the 'Stink' in 'Instincts'"

"Remember to follow your instincts"

mmmmmm ... gotta put those two together!

This is really cool! I had this habit with sketchbooks but stopped after a while, after I got in the habit of drawing all over post it notes instead.

I ALWAYS use notebooks, and notepads especially. I buy in bulk at Staples.

I am now adopting your writing method. I usually do my writing in short 10-20 bursts throughout the day, but I am going to give some more regimented writing a try.

I've taken to writing on the bus to or from work. I just need to be more consistent with it. I have been using my phone for the writing as my wife is my editor and any changes I make to my documents on my phone she can see on the iPad at home whenever I want to run something by her.

+10 Interweb points for Tim for using a proper keyboard!

MS Ergo users, rejoice!

+10 additional points for Tim having a Sackboy figure (PS3 game "Little Big Planet") on the left of the keyboard.

With it's built-in level editor it shows the almighty creativity of some people with their custom made levels.

ha, awesome. I'm going to go ahead and consider this our first little glimpse at the Double Fine/Tim Schafer creative process. Interesting how it's sort of a combination of a thought journal and an anti-procrastinatory device. This in combination with the longhand method leaves no doubt you have a writers creative process ;)

When I started Uni I did the bulk of my thinking in my head where no one could see it, but they drummed that out of me pretty quickly and now I need at least a few moments alone with a pen and a blank sheet of paper before I can shift gears into design mode.

In contrast to Tim I tend to do it all shorthand though, noting down various bullet points and ideas and branching them, drawing arrows between ideas that might be able to co-exist or connect, circling the bits I like best, deciding I prefer different bits and defining them with more intense circles with added underlines, doodling diagrams in the margins...

I'd post a scan of a page but everything nearby me would probably land me in hot water at work if I posted it here. One of my old leads once told me my notebooks reminded him of the John Doe journals from Se7en.. but I have much larger handwriting.

Looking forward to more topics like this as the project continues :D Paper design is one of my favourite parts, it's all potential!

EDIT: Extra note. Generally I find from an early age most people, when starting a fresh clean notebook, will write extremely neatly in the first few pages before dropping the charade and resuming the scrawl. Tim, you seem to have overcome that psychological quirk of humanity long ago :P

Couldn't help but notice the last line said:

"*Remember to always follow your instincts"

Now I'm imagining Tim walking in a little circle every time before he sits down to make sure there are no snakes.

ahaha, I would probably write more in note books if I didn't instinctively doodle on every piece of paper that I can find. Most of my notebook stuff that DOES get written down is either school notes ((that I haven't done in forever)) or headworld building.

Also, the first sentence up there... I think it says "This project needs a new name about cheese!" Might I suggest Sharp Cheddar Jack as a name? :3c

Every poem, concept, and even character designs of mine have started in lined ruled college notebooks.

I find it most interesting that Tim makes a point to state he hasn't done this in a long time. I wonder if it's been as long as since Brutal Legend's beginnings which probably started out near the tail end of Psychonauts development stage, making it almost 6-7 years since he's actually worked.

So of course his brain is softened. Hopefully by page 3 or 4 of writing about how he can't remember how to write he just reached the flow.

I see so many of you also mentioning that you use notebooks. If you have any notebooks which wouldn't reveal something you're still developing or spil a concept, I say we post them. I have tons of notes I'll never be using for anything in notebooks thta if someone else sees it and goes "Hrmmm".

I'm betting Tim doesn't use that Instinct joke, because really, it wasn't good. You put the stink in instinct? That makes no sense... sounds like something someone who doesn't know how to insult someone would use. Sounds like something Biff from Back to the Future would say, but he'd say something like "You put the ick in instinct" and then a Tim Schaefer from an alternate future would whisper to himself "Stink you idiot".

Anyways, this was really fun to see and I hope we get to see more of this kind of stuff. Especially with some of the concept art.

Oh one more thing, It says Double Fine Adventure Adventure at top. As opposed to DFA Action or DFA Shooter or DFA Puzzler or DFA Racing or DFA Mini-Games or DFA Hidden Objects or DFA Survival Horror.

For all of the writers out there, what makes you choose to write by hand rather than type?

Tim, I wonder how many notebooks you have.

For all of the writers out there, what makes you choose to write by hand rather than type?

For fiction writing or journalism I always type directly from brain to keyboard, but for concepts, abstracts, poems, songs, lyrics and the like I notice most thoughts come out when in the middle of a location.

While we live in a day where one could type it on a phone and then e-mail it to one self, there's something just almost inherent about writing.

To take a tool and create with it. By hand. I once had note book and I wrote a poem out by scratching a spare key I had on my keyring into a rock I found. (true story)... I held onto the rock till I got home and realized the poem was pretty bad, but I should've kept it as art object at least I realize.

While I'm not the world's most prolific creative person (I've written three poems and an outline for a D&D module... None of which I actually did anything with.) I generally tend to work creatively in one of two ways:

Brainstorming / Outlining / Charting

- This must be done on paper with a pen. When I got my first tablet (TF Prime), the first accessory I bought was a stylus so I could keep this up. Sadly, I think for anything that doesn't need to be shared with other people, I'm probably going back to ink & paper.

Stream of Consciousness Writing

- Keyboard and text editor. Simple editor. Word/Pages is too complex. WordPad is my preferred, though Notepad++ and Fraise/Smultron are supplanting rapidly. Tabs, Bold, Italics, Underline. Anything more than that becomes a distraction.

Lecture Notes (not really creative...)

- Paper if I actually need to pay attention to the information, or if it's a math class (typing equations is *SLOW*). Smultron if I only need a list of things to review for tests and can otherwise dink around on Reddit.

Don't worry Tim about your feeling with your notebook your are not the only one to think like. Me for example I had to draw in the same time and with music on my ears the ideas arre more easy to come out. And I figured that for me it's work better when I'm playing guitar hero or rock band :)

Usually it depend on the piece i'm writing. If it's a short piece that I know what I'm writing about I can go straight to my computer. If it's a longer piece I usually use a notebook because my mind tends to fly off in tangents about random things that make the story better. It also allows me to go back and catch things I missed and expand upon other things when I go to type it out.

I've actually never liked hand-written notebooks or the planned times in my own writing. I know it works really well for some writers, or at least it seems to based on their output. I keep an organized folder on my computer of ideas. The ones that are just jotted down notes are in folders by the medium they would be written in. The ones that I'm starting to actually develop get their own folders. I really like the modifiable text document because I can constantly be adding to something but still see the whole thing (and every idea I've had about it) in front of me.

I also find that with doing the planned times I never really come up with anything. I work best by going off and doing other things. I immerse myself in books or subjects that I'm interested in. Often times they might be somehow related to the story I'm writing, but sometimes not. Then when I'm doing other things I'll have ideas to add to the story which I go and add to the text document. Eventually when I have enough I start to organize all of it into an outline. Then when I've worked out all the major problems with the outline I start writing it. That's what works for me anyway.

I don't write stories or scripts or whatnot.

I had kept a "dream journal" for a stretch a few years back, just notes and even some random sketches of what I recalled.

Going back reading/looking at what I've written, I can vividly recall what was there. I would think for sure a journal or something

as simple as writing in a notebook, throwing ideas down is great.

I'm thinking I should just do that as a normal thing.

Maybe for 15 minutes when I first get up. I don't have all day like some do...

Our first glimpse at the game. We now know it's at least possible a character will say "You put the 'stink' in 'instincts.'"

Sometimes I get ideas away from my desk or when I am not at home.

Thats why "Notes" is my most used app on my phone. I have pages and pages of thoughts jotted down in there. I also have some saved from a few years ago. When I go back and look through them it's strange how much I can remember of where I was and what I was doing when I wrote them.

Props for the Microsoft Ergo multimedia keyboard in the photo of the notebook. :D

I used to only write handwritten stuff, but unfortunately the tendonitis I've developed in my right hand really prevents me from writing more than an outline and maybe a few short dialogues or drawings to get the creative juices flowing and all that.

Then, I switch to Google Docs, which is in my humble opinion, the best word processor available. It's nice and clean and also allows me to work on the same thing from many different computers, keep backups of everything without sacrificing valuable hard drive space, and also send the stuff I've written to other folks for critique and editing.

But I do like to start with the notebook.

I used to use a little notebook for this but I always lose the things, my organisational skills are lacking.

I need to start doing this again though, there's a lot of ideas in those little books, I've got a good stack of them on the shelf (lotta random nonsense as well haha)

Edit: Also your hand writing is as bad as mine, I think that makes me feel good haha, I get pretty bad hand cramp when I write for more than 30 mins though. So I like to do little brainstorming chunks of time.

"I like shuting myself in my office and listen to metal"

That works for me aswell :D

My book is right next to the bed! Funnily the best ideas come to me when I am lying awake in bed (just before I should fall asleep because I have to get up early the next day :D )

The famous composer Schubert also had a notebook (and his pair of glasses) right next to his bed so that if he dreamt some good music he could write it down immediately!!

But I do very much like Tims Idea of meditating for two hours over his book. I got have to try it out myself!

edit: AND some small sketchbook or my iphone when I'm out for quick ideas or any kinds of bursts or so !!

I have been struggling for some years with an addiction to Moleskine notebooks that I then can't bring myself to spoil by writing in them.

I like to brainstorm on pen and paper as well. There's something that makes the writing more real and personal when it's real ink on real paper and you can hold it and touch it and scribble all over it. For similar reasons, I will never buy a kindle or read electronic texts of things I actually want to read for enjoyment. There's something about carrying that physical book around, not having to maintain proper monitor contrast on it, falling asleep with it on your face... it's just a better experience.

I always use a notebook. Preferably with a known writer or a poet on the front cover.

Sign in to follow this