Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Always fun to start a new notebook!

No spoilers on this page anyway.

Then I guess it won't matter that I guess what it says? ;-)

- - - - - - - - - -

Double Fine Adventure Adventure

3/15/12

This project needs a codename. Apples? cheese? ... chinatown ... Today? ... my eyes getting ... bad. I can't .. college ... binder paper ... I remember ... college lined papers ... at a time ... girls in school. It always had ... they always ...

Man I have not written in a note book in a long time. I wonder what effect it will have on me? I wonder if it will save my softening brain. I have been forgetting a lot of stuff recently ... one was ... Embarrassing.

But now I'm writing and eventually I'll get around to writing about the Double Fine Adventure Adventure.*

New Joke: You put the stink in "instincts".

But ... unexpected. I like shutting myself in my office and listening to metal

* Remember to always follow your instincts.

- - - - - - - - - -

Filled in the bits I can do... any help anyone?

I try to do a lot of thinking wherever I am, but it always seems that my major breakthroughs and best ideas come while I'm taking a shower.

Too bad I don't have any water-resistant notebooks. :(

Exciting, Tim's creative journey begins.

For all of the writers out there, what makes you choose to write by hand rather than type?

As others have said, there is an organic element to handwriting that is hard to explain. The mind moves to the page without an intermediary, without disconnection, without distraction of hitting keys, fixing typos. At this stage the writer shouldn't be too concerned by the words themselves, and doodling can actually be beneficial because ideas brew deep within the mind in those moments without linguistic demands. It's the creative process in a more pure sense than 'writing'.

At a more practical level, the word processor tempts you to process, tinker, edit, review. It implies that what is written should be 'correct'. You have a distraction from what you've already put down. None of this is helpful in the early stages, when you want ideas to form freely. On paper it is less tempting to edit yourself because it's not so easy, aside from a scribbling out. What was written is what was written; good or bad. This is how it should be.

The typing up and word processing comes into its strengths much further down the road for the sewing together, editing, polishing up, the refinements of language.

Not all creative writers work this way of course, but it's certainly a method worth trying for anyone interested in writing fiction.

If I just want to remember something, I find that putting pen to paper really helps.. and I don't mean reading it back later. The act of writing seems to be enough by itself.

I have the full transcription:

Double Fine Adventure Adventure

This project needs cheese characters that found a temple to diary gods in Chinatown. Apples or nuts search quests? Tequila means my eyes getting so so bad. I can’t steal college girls binder paper any more. I remember thieving in college, lined papers dozens at a time, totally confused the girls in school. It always had me laughing so much when they always started crying when they opened their bag to find their paper replaced with a large brie. Now I have to buy my own paper. Sucks.

Man I have not written in a note book in a long time I wonder what effect it will have on me? I wonder if it will save my softening brain. I have been forgetting a lot of stuff recently, like putting on my pants before I leave the house. One was tempted to just take the money and disappear overseas, but on the way to the airport too many people were laughing at my Spongebob boxers to get away with it... Embarrassing.

But now I’m writing and eventually I’ll get around to writing about the Double Fine Adventure Adventure.*

New Joke: You put the stink in “instincts”.

But everyone in the office just looked at me blankly when I told them that one... unexpected. I like shutting myself in my office and listening to myself crying.

* Remember to always follow your instincts.

Damn good start, I'd say.

I write poetry sometimes and have the hardest time writing it at a computer. So the appeal of a notebook makes a lot of sense to me.

"I like shutting my self in my office and listening to metal"

Just one of many reasons why Tim is awesome. \m/

ahaha, I would probably write more in note books if I didn't instinctively doodle on every piece of paper that I can find. Most of my notebook stuff that DOES get written down is either school notes ((that I haven't done in forever)) or headworld building.

Also, the first sentence up there... I think it says "This project needs a new name about cheese!" Might I suggest Sharp Cheddar Jack as a name? :3c

Sharp Cheddar Jack is a pretty good name.

Since the thread is about writing down random stuff, I thought I'll do the same :)

This is my first post on the forums. I was very happy to be a backer, and just today I pledged some $$ for the Al Low remake (I loved Larry7 but I just couldn't force myself to play the VGA ones. I guess this makes me young. But on the other hand, all these new wow-ified gimmicky games make me sick, so this makes me old and now we are even)

Aaanyway. The one important thing I have to say here (and has probably been said before) is that although I am very happy to be part of this, I don't have the vigor to read the forums consistently. It would be really cool if we could get emails when something really important game-related is about to happen, when you want opinions, and whatever.

Of course there will be times when you will want some quick feedback from the solid-rock-hard-core fans. But just don't let the casuals miss a whole lot, that's all I'm saying here. You guys are smart enough, just find the balance.

cya!

Nobody has taken a crack at transcribing this page??

I'll start:

"This project needs to rode stoor Appl57 cheese? Sure, clay affair lmpf or North Smash. Tousee? Tasem am m eyes geffcar so popos enp..."

Allright then. I'll try starting from the first pen.

"Man i have not written in a notebook for a long time. I wonder what effect it will have on me? I wonder if it will save my softening brains, I have been forgetting a lot of stuff (recently?) One was- *PENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN*

"...But now i'm writing and eventually i'll get around to writing about the Doublefine Adventure Adventure. New jokes you but the stink in ''ins tins cts." But *PENNNNNNNNN* unnaffected. I likes shutting of my self in my office and listening to metal. *Remember to always follow your instincts."

OH GOD I'TS BEAUTIFUL.

Don't underestimate us Tim. We are Legion. Not the mass effect bot, just a lot of people. We can take on your purposely bad handwriting anytime.

New joke: You put the "stink" in "instincts".

HAHAHAHA OHMYGOD I CAN SEE THIS ON A DIALOG IS THIS HOW VIDEOGAMES ARE MADE?!

I love having a notebook near me for ideas, especially since it means I can add to my ideas in situations where I DON'T have my laptop available or on.

It also means i can put in sketches and drawings for ideas..

Latest use of my notebook (death note notebook to be exact xD) was writing down bits of information while I was playing Zork Nemesis. I miss the days where you had to take down notes and clues while you played games to be able to solve your puzzles.. xD

This is getting exciting. things are moving. Strange things. Magical things. game making things. ok I can't think of anything other than things.

ok ramble over.

with this handwriting those notes will not be readible by the end of the project ;)

so.. question to Tim, are you a morning person?(more creative in the morning)

I used to spend lots of time free writing in a notebook, often while trying to be as relaxed as possible.

Then my professor told me to put my pants back on and pay attention in class.

Really though, it's a fantastic way to get going. I've always believed that the hardest part of writing is putting pen to paper and getting out the first sentence. When you tell the critical part of your mind "dude, relax, we're just being loosey-goosey today," it's often surprising what you're able to put out.

While I write more on a word processor than paper of late, I still find that my thoughts flow more freely when writing them down long hand. It's good to know that legendary game designer Tim Schafer does the same thing;)

You mean... aside from the three other people who have transcribed it?

Thanks Tim it's fascinating to see your process in action.

Glad to see I'm not the only increasingly analogue guy in an increasingly digital world

This projekt needs...

College lined papers...

at anytime angry girls in school

It always had to...

They allways...

na

Man i have not writen in a

notebook in a long time I wonder

what effect it will have on me

I wonder if it will save my

softening brain I have been forgetting

a lot of stuff...