Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tim Schafer

Always fun to start a new notebook!

Very clever Tim.. to use your handwriting to encrypt the text. Your encryption is even more secure than mine.

All need to decrypt it is a pharmacist.

I hereby give permission for Tim to spend my pledge on a Clairefontaine notebook (the king of notebooks) and a fountain pen.

lithos, that made me think of Freddy Pharkas, the Sierra adventure game where part of the copy protection was to concoct pharmaceuticals for various ailments. In one of the puzzles, you had to get a beer glass to be able to read the prescription. Apparently the doctor who wrote it was drunk, so viewing it through the lens of the beer glass helped. I guess that idea was stolen from Monkey Island 2. :P

For all of the writers out there, what makes you choose to write by hand rather than type?

Tim, I wonder how many notebooks you have.

Well, I assume it's different for different people, but for me, when I'm writing something with a pen, it feels like I'm creating a world. If I'm typing it on a computer, it feels like I'm only formalizing it. Interestingly, it doesn't matter to me if I write with a pen the old fashioned way or digitally though. So I think it's just that with a pen and a paper/screen to write on, I got so many more levels of freedom than in a document waiting for keyboard input.

I've done that too, but I tend to use the first thing I can find, which usually ends up being problematic later when I try to find it again!

Wow-! Tim's whole thinking process on paper +.+! Sweet-

I love notebooks. Like buying them out of no reason, well for "future projects",

which just turn into sketches/notes/ramblings.... never was able to organize...

But yea they always call me out...

"Buy me, I'm perfect, try me... I will satisfy your needs..."

Now I just sound weird.. o.0

Very clever Tim.. to use your handwriting to encrypt the text. Your encryption is even more secure than mine.

LOL

Wonder if we could buy any insider secrets off of the Sackboy on Tim's desk...

Nice to see someone else with awful hand writing.

Hopefully any odd drawings or diagrams you produce will end up in the forums Tim!

I write in my notebooks all the time, for whatever I am working on. When I was a kid it was floor plans for buildings. When I was a bit older it was ideas for video games I would make with this little program I had to make games. After that it was programming and code ideas. After that it was floor plans for video game maps I would make. Now days it is a mix of Environment plans, code designs, video game ideas, or just drawings. It is probably the best way to express your ideas. Typing them into a computer can not compare to having the freedom of plastering ink onto paper.

Seeing these notebooks fans the dim embers of inspiration buried deep in my heart.

...the glowing pens are pretty cool too.

I usually prefer to work out my thoughts in notebooks too, or in my case sketchbooks. Easier to have all my drawings and the notes associated with them in one place. :P

I really like the last line on your notebook scan though, "*Remember to always follow your instincts."

I keep my sketchbook next to my bed. I get my best ideas when I'm at the terminus of sleep.

Also, i make and bind my own journals. I bet Tim could use one! They are made with unlined paper though so may not be the best choice for writing. It's time I start rewarding my heroes instead of just thinking about it so I'll get to work on a handmade journal just for Tim!

Hah that first pen is exactly the same brand I use, it's the best. The plastic bit on the top comes off so when you're drawing blank you can pull it off and click it back in, it's insanely relaxing. Until you accidently drop it on the floor and it rolls away forever.

Just notice that Tim use a Natural Keyboard... Of course, every genius does (Best Keyboard Ever)...

Oh and yes, I use it... multimedia version since 2001... treat it like a baby.

Pens? I still write with pencil if I have the choice.

I'm a true purist.

Don't worry my handwriting is even worse, really kills me however when I have to solve a math problem.

Moleskine, pen, pencil, putty rubber - that's me ready to face the world every day. Big gadget and tech fan but something about a notebook let's me just get scribbly.

Simple love this, I recently bought myself an art book and writer journal so I can do this exact thing. Just sketch random things and write what ever comes into my mind... most of which probably should never see the light of day :D

In my Story Design and Script Writing class, we refer to an "Idea Mine". Got an idea? Throw it in the mine. Need an idea? Try digging through the mine. Sometimes the idea you have now can be useful later on down the road, even if it isn't pertinent to your current project.

Thanks, that's a good advice, I've just bought one notebook too. Its the best repository for your ideas and you can always have it with you.

I usually prefer to work out my thoughts in notebooks too, or in my case sketchbooks. Easier to have all my drawings and the notes associated with them in one place. :P

I really like the last line on your notebook scan though, "*Remember to always follow your instincts."

Hey Teowli nice avatar, that's one of the best character from Game Of Thrones. (Y)

I am going to "remember to always follow my instincts" when it comes to any puzzles that come across my path from now on.

I think it's really doubly fine to get in a peek from your notebook, Tim!

I used to use a regular yellow legalpad, but that incurred the danger of filling up all the margins with doodles and getting no writing done... Now I split the task between wordpad and printer paper to accommodate both. (Still brainstorm more with doodles, haha)

Tim,

It's so cool to see that you too are a 'notebook first, word doc later.' type person. I've always loved notebooks even since I was a kid and I can't possibly tell you how many notebooks I've filled up with doodles, sketches, writing, etc. over the vast many years of my existence. I honestly keep a stack of them on my work desk, just in case I get an idea that ultimately needs to be written down. I feel like writing it down in a notebook is permanent too. It can't be washed away by a virus, or a hard drive crash. No - notebooks are like the white knights of the stationary and journalism format. They stay valiantly vigilant to my verbose vocal vaudevillian idealisms. I will say though, that notebooks suck for only one reason:

Being a left-handed notebook/sketchbook user - causes SO much smudging if it's not done in pen.

I'm definitely going to be experimenting with that writing technique though Tim. Designating a time and just writing for the sake of writing to see what pops out. Who knows? - the process may very well cause me to design something that I'm truly proud of for a portfolio in the future! :D Thank you for an inside look at you're inner workings. You have no idea how cool this basic simple gesture is to me!

- MM137 ( Chad )

Not a bad idea, I've been meaning to take up writing again some day, maybe I'll buy myself a new notebook today and start setting aside 15-30 minutes to just write like this.

I really do miss my Microsoft Natural keyboard. Just the basic split keyboard without any of the extra %#$@&! buttons along the top that never get used. I hate myself for ruining it a few years ago... and while I have come to like my Razer Black Widow, I still miss that split design.

ha, awesome. I'm going to go ahead and consider this our first little glimpse at the Double Fine/Tim Schafer creative process.

am I the only one terrified by the "Tim Schafer creative process"

Sign in to follow this