Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wanttoworkfordoublefine

POLL: Who wants to get into the industry?

I've seen a-lot of other hopefuls on this project, many with links to blogs or even full design portfolios. I'm just curious to see the numbers. It can be any job from marketing to programming, it doesn't matter as long as you are actively trying. So, are you trying to get into the industry, are you already in, or do you have no vested interest?

Plus, if you want to share your story, feel free.

I've seen a-lot of other hopefuls on this project, many with links to blogs or even full design portfolios. I'm just curious to see the numbers. It can be any job from marketing to programming, it doesn't matter as long as you are actively trying. So, are you trying to get into the industry, are you already in, or do you have no vested interest?

Plus, if you want to share your story, feel free.

Game music is something I'd quite like to get into but I'd be lying if I said I'd ever seriously thought about it. Good luck with your efforts though. Your enthusiasm should take you far. And I really mean that.

I would like to get into the industry as a story writer, but I'm not really actively pursuing it right now.

Working in the industry. Got into a school for game development, and now during my internship at Ubisoft I was offered a permanent job.

I'm trying to make my way into the industry as a game designer. I majored in Multimedia and minored in Game Design in college, interned at Games For Change as a production intern, then worked at the ESRB as a game tester and recently interned at Fresh Planet as a game design intern. I'm still looking for work though. There's no way I'm going to give up on wanting to create fun and interesting games for the masses.

It's a dream of mine, but I'm not sure how to approach it. I'm 35, just finishing a degree in writing and rhetoric, and have been an IT/tech guy for almost two decades now. I have some great ideas, and am hoping that starting this summer, I can write my novel and write a full blown game design doc to present to someone. But, how does one go about presenting a design doc to a company that can make a game? It's not like getting a movie script in front of an actor or producer - it's like throwing a pebble out of a plane and hoping it lands in a puddle.

Why aren't you actively pursuing it?
Variety of reasons, most companies aren't looking for people whose only skill is writing. Plus I'm busy finishing up my bachelors while getting all the required information in to be considered for my masters. That and I'll be busy next month with script frenzy and I'm working on several writing projects already. I'm just busy really.

Studying computer science at the moment, after that I'll try to get into the industry, but I'm not in a hurry as I enjoy many fields in computer science, and I really want to get my master's degree before I start looking for a job.

I don't want to work in a big company/team, I'd rather work in an environment like Double Fine, some small team of a big company or as a one-man indie dev team in my leisure time. It's also important to me that I work in a company that makes games that I enjoy, because IF I work on a game, I want to be creative, not a code monkey.

I'm programming games for as long as I remember and love playing and analyzing games to find out what distinguishes a fun game from a boring one. The games I make are enjoyed by the people who play them, so I guess I have what it takes.

I backed DFA because it's a unique chance to see how a big game is made in a company like Double Fine and hopefully learn one or two things from it.

I'd like to write music for vg. (I'm finishing the 10th year course of organ and composition in the Conservatorio of my city)

Actively working on joining gaming industry myself. Going to school to understand the in and outs of what it takes to produce games. Working on my masters and when I finally complete, my goal is to create my own studio.

I would love to do something game wise, but when I grew up in a small town in Germany there was no way to pursue this career choice. As a kid I used to sink hundreds of hours into a program called Shoot Em Up Construction Kitt on C-64 and Amiga to make games.

In 2005 I started working on a fan adventure project, Zak McKracken: Between Time and Space which was released in German only in 2008. A directors cut (including English voices) will be released sometime in the future.

While my work on the project is done I recently started working on the engine that was used for the Zak McKracken Project. So to get used to the engine I am now working on a prequel to Between Time and Space called Zak McKracken Goes Looking for Hot Coffe in Several Wrong Places. If this will ever see the light of day I don't know, but to me it's definitely a fun way to get to know this engine...

I have been trying to do some small project on the side. Mostly in the Appstore, but it is so easy to get lost in there among all the other billion apps. It is easy to get in but easy to be forgotten. :P I would love to work on a bigger project with both music and graphics. Would be awesome. But it seems far far away.

Studied media producing, but I did hit my head and got interested about game development. Joined game development club on local university and then I did got a job from industry. First my tittle was a level designer and I just got promoted to game designer / jack of all trades :)

Getting into the industry is easy and hard as heck at the same time. I, personally, would love to be part of it. I even got one serious job offer once, but sadly I had recently acquired a different job as a programmer so I had to turn it down.

But really, all it takes is going indie. Which is rather painful and so ridiculous amounts of work with no income until possibly the end. Might take that path myself and work on the side along with my job.. once I have finished my studies.

I am currently a programmer on a huge fan game project buuut I hardly have time to work on it so I just make some client side scripting. Thus don't really count myself to be in the industry yet. Future looks bright though, a lot of indie game dev companies around here. :B

I'm not sure what option to pick because I was in the business for a while a couple of years ago.. Now I'm working as a programmer at a local non-game company, but I wouldn't mind getting back into it sometime in the future..

I already mentioned it in my introduction but I will repeat here again. Seems to be the better place for it. I already worked in the gaming industry. I was part of the programming team that created the internal mission editor for "The Patrician II". You can find me under "Additional programming".

I would like to go back to the gaming industry. But not as a programmer but more as an assistant producer. Maybe I will have the chance sometimes.

I'm not specifically in game design, but I have had the opportunity to compose a soundtrack or two for independent/freeware games. I've done AGDI's KQ3Redux, IA's SQ2 remake, and am currently doing Himalaya Studios' upcoming Mage's Initiation adventure.

I'm not sure what option to pick because I was in the business for a while a couple of years ago.. Now I'm working as a programmer at a local non-game company, but I wouldn't mind getting back into it sometime in the future..

That's fine, I'd go with option three, you have a little interest but not beyond what you're currently doing

I put perusing industry career, even though I'm really just interested in it. Even at times when I've not been very interested in games I have followed news related to the industry. Love Gamasutra. Thing is I lack skills and credentials. That is part of why I am hoping to learn from the process ahead.

In college I thought I wanted to be a gameplay programmer. Then I realized I could do enjoyable programming with better pay, hours, and treatment in different industries. It's a bit sad.

I put perusing industry career, even though I'm really just interested in it. Even at times when I've not been very interested in games I have followed news related to the industry. Love Gamasutra. Thing is I lack skills and credentials. That is part of why I am hoping to learn from the process ahead.

That's actually how i started off. And you may not lack all the skills and credentials to get in. A single AAA game is made by thousands of people, from programmers to marketers. One story i remember hearing about was about an accountant in the industry (so now he's a "cool" accountant). Find something your good at and stick with it, chances are, you can use it to get into the industry.

I'm not interested in getting into the (or any) industry. I'm happy with my current job as music teacher and musician.

But I have made an adventure game of my own.

That's actually how i started off. And you may not lack all the skills and credentials to get in. A single AAA game is made by thousands of people, from programmers to marketers. One story i remember hearing about was about an accountant in the industry (so now he's a "cool" accountant). Find something your good at and stick with it, chances are, you can use it to get into the industry.

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for the advice. :lol:

It's a dream of mine, but I'm not sure how to approach it. I'm 35, just finishing a degree in writing and rhetoric, and have been an IT/tech guy for almost two decades now. I have some great ideas, and am hoping that starting this summer, I can write my novel and write a full blown game design doc to present to someone. But, how does one go about presenting a design doc to a company that can make a game? It's not like getting a movie script in front of an actor or producer - it's like throwing a pebble out of a plane and hoping it lands in a puddle.

You'd stand a better chance if you were or knew someone in the industry. You'd also have to build some credit up within it before people start listening to you (kind of like in here lol). Then you would have to consider marketing capabilities of the title, assess asset costs, time scales, etc. Heck, the answer to that question may be answered in the 2 player vids. But if you're really passionate about it then go for it. That stone's not gonna throw itself, so make it count.

I'd love to have a part dealing with any sort of the art area of game development. Any part of it, really! Studied art but love gaming so much that that seems like the best career choice for me.

Mmmm, yes and no. I think everyone here fantasizes about sitting at a desk at Double Fine HQ - working on a game... and having Tim come up, sit down next to you, and tell you what a horrible disappointment you are to the team...

But I enjoy gaming... and I'm happy enough sitting on this side of the glass.

I worked in the game industry as a software engineer for about five years and now I'm moving to another large game company as a product manager working on features. My best advice to people who want to break in is try and land a QA job. Do that for awhile and then move from there to the area you're actually interested in....game systems, world building, content design, animation, sound, whatever. I've seen a lot of people make the move from QA to these departments after putting in a year or two of solid QA work while learning the skills they need to move to where they want on the side. Not everyone is able to make the move, but if you're really determined and show the company you mean business, you'll have a good shot. Having a website with a portfolio of your work always helps (depending on the position).

I worked in the game industry as a software engineer for about five years and now I'm moving to another large game company as a product manager working on features. My best advice to people who want to break in is try and land a QA job. Do that for awhile and then move from there to the area you're actually interested in....game systems, world building, content design, animation, sound, whatever. I've seen a lot of people make the move from QA to these departments after putting in a year or two of solid QA work while learning the skills they need to move to where they want on the side. Not everyone is able to make the move, but if you're really determined and show the company you mean business, you'll have a good shot. Having a website with a portfolio of your work always helps (depending on the position).

Too true. I'm currently creating/gathering together pieces for my animation portfolio and demo reel.

Sign in to follow this