Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
wanttoworkfordoublefine

POLL: Who wants to get into the industry?

Of course I'd love to be in the industry, but I don't see it as a possible reality so it's not something I'm pursuing. I just make little games for myself on my computer as a hobby. I've made a prototype platformer and a prototype adventure game and several other smaller prototypes. They're not very good. Though I'm proud of the art style I accomplished for my little platformer.

No option in this poll really holds 100% true for me. I'd be interested but it's not something I've pursued so far.

yeah i felt the same way.

I'd love to work in the industry given a chance, but id be happy making music anywhere to be honest.

Growing up, I totally wanted to be in the games industry. First at Lucasarts or Broderbund, then later at Working Designs or Square. I actually kinda sorta work for a game company, but we're currently too busy with "real" applications to work on any games (and have been that way since a few months before I started).

I guess I'm hoping to eventually stumble across the next Working Designs or Bioware. Serious stuff to pay the bills, games in the 20% time.

I guess I'm part of the industry...

Currently designing some games, pretty soon as things get going I'll be organizing an indie game company. Since I'm without formal programing experience I spend a large portion of time learning the process. Gamasutra has been very helpful along with AltDevBlogADay. The cool thing is that if you go on Twitter and look into the #gamedev, #indiegames, #gamedesign subjects there's a whole wealth of information that people find and tweet about.

I'm trying to get into the gaming industry.

My main goal is to work as a programmer, and eventually designer/producer with enough experience. But at the moment I just want to try and find an internship or work as an entry level QA because I just want to get my foot in the door(cliche i know but it fits). Main setback is I'm only a sophomore in college and I need to get more classes and training(I.E. internships). yet most of the time companies want at least 2 Years of experience and more language experience. But I'm still going to try.

I don't think posting your game design blog or video game beta here is such a good idea though. Sure you will probably get some good constructive criticism, but also, you would get a lot of people who won't care and bash the game because it isn't finished or they just don't like it.

I'm working on pursing audio programming right now. I have degrees in both computer science and music, so it seems like a good plan. :) Plus, audio programmers are hard to come by and there is a pretty strong demand for them. Also, it's awesome!

I would love to be a games programmer, but that's looking to be pretty tough for me. My school didn't offer any programming classes (Small town), so right now I'm trying to find some books to at least get an idea of how C++ works and find a college that offers courses in programming or game development close to my town. Kinda sucks that I didn't get a chance to learn this stuff earlier though :(

I don't have an interest in getting into the industry (or more appropriately I don't have the talent to do that line of work) but I respect the work that you guys do and enjoy reading 'insider' threads. Also enjoy rifling through the code books at my local B&N.

does wanting join a project that is crowd sourced count as wanting to be in the industry? cause i would rather avoid just about everyone but double fine and indie developers. not that i am a good enough digital artist to work for you anyways. i mostly do kinetic metal sculptures. maybe ill just show up on your porch in a panda suit and scream until you take me on as an intern.

I'm working on a super secret MMO that is having a neat beta weekend test thingy, but its totally a secret outside of the fact we're talking about it publicly.

And for those interested in jumping into the industry, just go make games. Pick up an editor and make game levels, make game art, program smaller games, just make game stuff! Build a portfolio and understanding of how games are made so you don't bomb interviews. There is no secret club handshake or anything that gets you in.

I'm very interested in the processes that go into game development, but I don't think I'd ever try to get into the industry.

Not in the "industry" and, unless you count working with the fine folks at double fine as part of the industry (which I would love to do), then I have no aim to be. I am, however, working on an indie game as the artist/animator/co-designer while holding a "normal (read: lame) job. I wouldn't call that "in the industry" though. It was always my dream to make PC games. I went to college to learn art and animation and hopefully will have something to show to the world someday that I can say I worked on and am proud of.

I'm another industry hopeful. I've always wanted to join the games industry in some capacity, although I've had leanings in different directions. I enjoy writing creatively and more often than not when I'm planning a story, my mind will also wander into cool gameplay concepts that would work well in the universe I'm making. I also have a strong interest in coding, studying it through high school and college. I ended up with a job programming, although I work in a more corporate setting where the same code languages aren't used so although I still have the framework, I'd have to learn the tools used in the industry.

I've never gotten off my butt to leverage either skill to get into the industry. It doesn't help that from what I hear its risky work. Until I get the stones to make the leap, I'm just trying to upgrade my knowledge of tools used in the industry, and the industry itself.

Not part of the industry but have had a small role in video game journalism. Does that count? :>

Since I was a kid I’ve been wanting to create games, before I had a computer i created table top games but when I had my first computer I wanted to create digital games and was completely hook with Adventure games and that's what I wanted to do.

So after I finished high school I into the university and I chose the "system's engineering" career, but I quickly realized that "MATH" wasn't for me at all so i dropped it before i got kicked out ;) and went to study illustration and cartooning.

I tried modding games several times so I always found myself creating many models and assets, but when it came to scripting to put everything together I always found this huge block that drove me to drop my attempts since I couldn’t go forward as I really can’t understand a word of programming.

A few years ago I went on it again and found a couple of programs, one called Wintermute but it required a fair amount of scripting but at the same time I also found a really cool program called Visionaire 2D.

It was a dream come true, an adventure game engine where I really didn’t need any programming skills at all and I could make games like Monkey Island 3 and Runaway. But there was one slight problem... there didn’t exist documentation about how to use the program other than a demo game, and it had more support in German than English.

That didn’t stopped me and I made a lengthy tutorial about how to use the program (and it has been the main tutorial source of that program ever since ^^).

So I tried making an adventure game called "Yiro & Yari" and was quite focused on it until my wife and I were forced to move out of our house (family problems), we moved twice in less than six months so I lost track and focus on my project and spent most of my time building our new home. Two years passed and we moved again and established in our very own house, but it's been so long I lost most of my interest from that game.

Several months ago I made a small effort and made the game available (or the little I made of it) for people to see and play since I didn’t want o see all that time and effort go to waste (even though is not a masterpiece) (can be downloaded from here).

I have at least three more ideas I would like to make into adventure games, so I’m still kind of wanting to get into the industry ^^.

I'd love to work in games but I don't know where I'd fit in. I'm in IT tech and teaching, but I can't imagine how these would be applicable to any games company. I also fear the whole "if our brilliant game isn't successful because of some stupid decision by another company we have completely no control over, then we have to close down and lose all our jobs" thing.

I'm actually in college right now majoring in 3D Design and Animation/Game Design. Will have my 2-year this May and will be starting on my 4-year this fall. :) I mainly love to model and do lighting and UV texture mapping, working with both 3D and 2D graphics. Currently working on a 3D demo reel so I can starting looking for internships and small jobs to start with around my area.

I've been a serious gamer all my life, starting with Atari 2600 when I was like 6 or 8 and currently playing mostly on PS3 and PC. So game design was just a really obvious choice for me as a career. Something I've always loved to do and something I've always been highly interested in the creation of. So, when I started teaching myself to model several years ago, I knew that was something I wanted to major in college.

Game design is a dream job for me. For the time being I'd love to do some composition work in the industry, having studied audio engineering and composition and done a lot of recording\engineering since. I put together a mod soundtrack a few years ago to learn and experiment. Currently I'm building a website\net-label for band projects, it'll be interesting to see how that goes. I should probably get my skates on and finish my portfolio website too.. Ultimately I'd love to design games and prove that just about any idea or activity can be turned into engaging gameplay.. constructive rather than destructive "action", etc. Also, 'cool' yet stealthily educational games. The success of Portal really proved something about what can be popular. The medium has interesting places to go, that's for sure.

In college I thought I wanted to be a gameplay programmer. Then I realized I could do enjoyable programming with better pay, hours, and treatment in different industries. It's a bit sad.

My education is not too suitable for game development as it is in telecomm, on other hand what I heard of industry it's better to be elsewhere. And I might want to keep gaming as hobby not as a job...

For the right company, sure. But I don't want to do the whole 'any job will do' route that a lot of people take in the industry, working for a bunch of developers on games they don't care about in the hope they'll find something better later. If you can do it, cool, but I realised a few years back that wasn't for me.

But I also have a need to make games, which is why I make them with a friend in my spare time. We're getting better with each try and if something ever comes of that, great, there are certain people I'd work for in a heartbeat, but right now I'm having fun just learning and developing as a gameplay designer/musician/reluctant pixel artist/writer... I do lots of things.

CG modeler and animator here. I've worked in a couple small videogame companies and also in animation (unfortunately, they were the kind of companies that never managed to publish any product and ultimately dissapeared).

In the long run I am more interested in the animation industry than videogames I think, but I always enjoy working in games. Currently I'm looking for job, and yes, I sent my reel to DF as soon as I heard about the Adventure project ;)

I'd quite like to work in the games industry one day, and more specifically adventure games. I work in the vfx industry at the moment, but, after film, games are my great passion...and the adventure game genre is just awesome! :D

I recently cofounded the 4th game dev startup/indie studio I've been part of, before the 4 startups I was QA at a larger studio.

I'd like to get into the industry but I have no skills to make hiring me worthwhile. Just 30+ years playing video games and a good working knowledge of what makes a game fun. And a great idea for an awesome game,at least as far as gameplay goes. But there's tons of guys like me.

CG modeler and animator here. I've worked in a couple small videogame companies and also in animation (unfortunately, they were the kind of companies that never managed to publish any product and ultimately dissapeared).

In the long run I am more interested in the animation industry than videogames I think, but I always enjoy working in games. Currently I'm looking for job, and yes, I sent my reel to DF as soon as I heard about the Adventure project ;)

Hey! High five to a fellow AM alum. :D

I majored in Fine Art, specifically painting, and subsequently I have become quite well trained in traditional drawing and painting. I also play guitar, I dabble a little bit in film making, I even know a little bit about programming (dabbled in XNA some) and for literally as long as I can remember I have wanted to make games. But do I want to break into the "industry"? Honestly, I don't think so. I'm very interested in games as an emerging art form - I would like very much to incorporate them into my general "renaissance man" sort of art practice, but I don't believe that would work for a company. I mean, it seems to me that companies aren't generally interested in games-as-art, and they would likely not be interested in hiring a "fine-artist" game designer, no matter what skill sets they offered. But I haven't given up on my goal entirely. I could see myself eventually making a game in an indie context - just myself and a couple of other guys.

Sign in to follow this