Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Kickstarter Stats

The percentage of external backers is astonishing.

Agreed, I was also shocked at how little came via Kickstarter pledges directly.

Wow, that's neat. Cool to see the Tiers broken down and how people found out about the Kick-starter. I personally saw it on twitter a few hours after the launch.

Boy when you told us you were going to show us how the sausage gets made you weren't kidding were you? Awesome to see this level of information being put out for the backers, it is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for this sort of information, fascinating to see the massive initial surge, the slow increase and then peak at the end.

Great info!

I heard of it on the Giant Bombcast...this is actually my first PC Game after a lot of years just buying console games...

Really interesting stuff, thanks for posting it.

What's the position on using this data externally? I'd love to be able to grab the images to post them when having discussions about future business payment models for content. Really I feel this type of information can be invaluable for all sorts of people and others looking to get funding, so it would be a travesty to have it kept to the backers forum.

Perhaps DF could make a proper blog post with this data so its open to the public?

Snap! I tried getting Kotaku to a higher level, but clearly NeoGAF has some big hitters. How did they track that stuff anyways? I'm slightly internet dumb.

Whenever you visit a site, your browser tells the site how you got there (in the referer-field, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP_referer ). The site (e.g. kickstarter) just has to log all the referrers it gets.

I think the really interesting stat is the $100 chunk. It looks like roughly 11,000+ backers (11, 530 to be exact from the kickstarter page), make up 13% of the total number of backers, and put up 34.5% of the total funding ($1, 153, 000). That's an interesting sweet spot for this type of funding model that catches the attention of fans interested in whatever the particular project might be.

An interesting survey question for that group would be, "did you select this level specifically for the recognition in the credits?"

On the referrer list where it says "Video Games (Discover)" and "Popular (Discover)". That's not referring to Discover magazine is it?

If so I have got to get a subscription to it.

On the referrer list where it says "Video Games (Discover)" and "Popular (Discover)". That's not referring to Discover magazine is it?

If so I have got to get a subscription to it.

You can click on Discover in Kickstarter and brows interesting projects. Video Games is one such category, and Popular projects.

Kieren

Sign in to follow this