Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Arthur

Most Underrated Adventure Game

We've got one of these threads for overrated games so why not get positive and hype up games that didn't get the praise they deserved?

For my part, I'm very glad I had the chance to experience Shadow of Destiny, AKA Shadow of Memories. It's an adventure game cooked up for the PS2 - it's not in a traditional point and click format but it's still clearly based on puzzles and character interaction - and it's got a really great time travel based plot which packs in a lot of replay value. The idea is that you're a tourist visiting an old European city, when abruptly you're murdered... but because your murder was the result of some sort of time paradox, and therefore couldn't really have happened, you end up with a limited ability to visit the past, so the game becomes about jumping about in time and trying to piece together the course of events that led to your death and seeing if you can avert them.

The really clever thing, of course, is that your own interventions in time lead to a bunch of changes in the timeline themselves, so you end up with multiple endings depending on exactly what decisions you made in altering the timeline. (There's also a final ending you can unlock once you've completed all the other ones, in which your character ends up taking drastic action to sort out the intertwined time loops once and for all.) I thought it was a great example of how an adventure game approach could be applied to a console-focused control system.

I like a lot about that game but I think it strongly lacked interactivity, which is probably why it didn't work that well outside japan (where it's not uncommon for Adventures to lack interactivity). And also because there are not many possibilities to interact in this world, that makes it easier to allow the story to be variable and open for changes. IMO in SoM you walk around a lot and everything around you feels kinda dead and empty. I didn't like that about SoM, Don't get me wrong, the game has amazing moments and a good story. By the way I think there are similar problems with "Dreamfall" which at least at the beginning also offered alternative choices but then quickly gave up on this approach, probably because the story was already too huge and this would have made it much too big. But I always had the feeling that Dreamfall tried to copy a few elements of SoM. But SoM is definitely a game to check out, you're right.

Adventure Game, or Point-and-Click Adventure Game?

Around these parts, I doubt Psychonauts would qualify as Underrated, but I think it deserves the title.

I enjoyed Anachronox and Beyond Good and Evil, neither of which I recall being blockbusters.

Adventure Game, or Point-and-Click Adventure Game?

Around these parts, I doubt Psychonauts would qualify as Underrated, but I think it deserves the title.

I enjoyed Anachronox and Beyond Good and Evil, neither of which I recall being blockbusters.

I think you're confusing adventure games for platformers.

Are the two mutually exclusive? I think Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts are at least "action-adventure" games. Anachronox might be best classified as an "RPG Adventure". What's your definition of an adventure game?

I think Flower, Sun & Rain really sucks. But at the same time, after I played it, I couldn't forget it. The puzzles are God-awful and tedious. Math problems, having to sift through endless amounts of text just for some obscure clue, long periods of doing nothing but running. Bad, bad game, gameplay wise. But it's music is so good, it has style, atmosphere, strange surreal humor and characters. It's definitely unique in that Suda51 Kafkaesque meets David Lynch way. There have been better games that I've completely forgotten, but I still have never forgotten Flower, Sun & Rain.

Also, Museum Madness. A sort of generic adventure game with bad music from the 90's which is sort of like Night At The Museum, the adventure game. The museum exhibits come to life because of a computer virus and you and your robot sidekick have to solve logic and environmental puzzles from various eras of human history. I just liked it. The puzzles were mostly never obtuse and I liked being able to experience everything from the Revolutionary War, to the Jurassic era, to the Wright Brother's first flight, to cavemen times all in one game.

Are the two mutually exclusive? I think Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts are at least "action-adventure" games. Anachronox might be best classified as an "RPG Adventure". What's your definition of an adventure game?

Action-adventures are a very different beast from adventure games.

I agree Psychonauts is more "adventure-y" than most action-adventures, but it's not an adventure game in my book.

In my experience, you don't kill things on a regular basis in adventure games.

Join the party in this thread (Best Adventure Game No One’s Ever Heard Of): http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6288/

The reason I didn't create an "overlooked" thread myself was because of that thread. I think it would be much better if we could post exclusively in it to avoid splitting up the suggestions. I already made a few myself, including Shadow of Destiny before it was mentioned here. :)

I don't know if anyone will remember this, but when I was younger I played a Sierra game called Torin's Passage. I don't hear it mentioned a whole lot, nor do I think that it was the epitome of adventure gaming. But I remember having a whole lot of fun with it. It had that sort of delicious candy coating that would take you places as long as you played along with the fiction. It had some clever mechanics, relatively simple puzzles and was like a lot of other adventure games at the time it came out. But the story was deliberate, and I had a blast playing it.

Also worth mentioning, Toonstruck, The Lost Case Files of Sherlock Holmes and Riven.

Graphical Zork Games, underrated..

How I long to join a civilization that makes games focusing on story depth.

What make s for a great game? Comedy, Mystery, Romance, Charachter Depth, blurred lines between right and wrong.

What makes for a crappy game? Ubisoft.

Probably not the most underrated adventure games, but Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I rarely hear it mentioned.

Here is a list of some of my favourite games growing up, some are well known, others not so...

toonstruck

broken sword 1 and 2

titanic adventure out of time

goosebumps escape from horrorland

the black mirror

shadow of memories

shenmue 1 and 2

stupid invaders

gahan wilsons haunted house

casanova curse of the black rose

cluedo fatal illusion

mystery of the druids

monkey island (whole series)

Zelda

Grimm Fandango

Gilbert Goodmate

Siberia

Farenheit

Probably not the most underrated adventure games, but Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I rarely hear it mentioned.

Mmmmm, no, it's always in any adventure games Top 10 (ok, it isn't in Adventure Gamers Top 10, but they don't "know" what is an adventure game).

The Space Bar is pretty overlooked since the hardware that could run it in the mid 90s went quickly out of fashion. The name also doesn't lend itself to being searched for.

Relatively recently released, Gemini Rue is a fantastic game. In a similar gritty, cyberpunk vein is Snatcher for Sega CD.

If you don't mind non-graphical adventures, not many people who were born past the 80s have experienced Infocom's interactive fictions, like Zork and A Mind Forever Voyaging.

Many of these were lauded by reviewers but remain under-played, like the Space Quest series. You've heard of them, no doubt, but have you played them? If not, you probably haven't played Police Quest 2, either.

Of course, anything someone is crazy about is underrated in their eyes. As a Linux user, that's a boat I constantly find myself in.

Sign in to follow this