Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Singe Volant

Your favorite indie developer?

Since we're all involved in this "SCREW THE SYSTEM!!!" more or less by backing this great project, I thought it would be appropriate to ask for your opinion on the indie scene. What are your favorite indie games/developers and why?

Size Five Games (Ben there, Dan that)

And any other devs with some humour and character in their games!

I don't know exactly how to define "indie" since it's such an amorphous concept, but going by the "List of indie game developers" on Wikipedia, I really liked Cing, but they're currently defunct. Studio Pixel, Cave Story is always win. I liked Frontier Development's LostWinds games.

Went through that Wiki list, since I couldn't think of anything off hand. I'd have to definitely go with Insomniac Games (for the original Spyro series and Resistance) and Valve (mostly for Portal). Neither of which I even knew were considered Indie developers. Learn something new everyday.

One of my favorite Indy game was The Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom.

But the best indy game of the last year is definitively LIMBO.

Even though I died often in this game, it was never frustrating. With only very puristic grafics, the athmosphere is so incredibly dense - great game!

And Playdead Studios (who made this game) rebought all of the options on Playdead from the investors they were forced to find (and ignored most of the wished from the investors because they didn't fit to "their" game (i.e. Multiplayer).

Obviously my favourite indie developer is myself and my friend as Surprised Man! But I guess I'm not allowed to count myself.

Otherwise, it depends how you are counting. I consider any developer who makes the games they want without the influence of an external publisher/investor to be indie.

By that token, I consider Double Fine to be (occasionally) indie developers, and one of my favourites. I'd also count Valve - they're definitely at the upper end of the indie bell-curve, but they fit the most basic criteria of answering to nobody! :) And they've made some of my favourite games ever.

If we want to limit it to the more difficult to pin-down criteria of people who sort of make games in a small team on quite a low budget-kinda-thing, then I guess my favourite indie is Brendon Chung aka Blendo Games (Who made the excellent Gravity Bone, Atom Zombie Smasher and Flotilla).

Hmm, probably Jeff Vogel - http://www.spiderwebsoftware.com/ http://jeff-vogel.blogspot.co.uk/ for:

Exile 1-3

Avernum 1-6 (remake of Exile series + 3 extra games)

Geneforge 1-5 (also available on Steam)

Nethergate

Avadon (also available on Steam)

An insane amount of games to be made (mostly) by 1 person, all available for Mac/Windows, some available for iPad + there have even been some recent ports to Linux + Android tablets as part of the Humble Bundle for Android 2 - http://www.humblebundle.com/

My favourite games of his would be Exile/Avernum 1-3 + Nethergate.

Oddworld Inhabitants, when talking about independent developers, although they weren't independent when releasing their previous games.

Jonathan Blow and though they design exclusively for the PS3 Thatgamecompany. I'm sure I'm forgetting some great ones here but those guys make such beautiful art with their games.

although they only made one game so far: 2d boy .

world of goo was pretty perfect.

I realise it's been a while since their last release, but I'm still going for Introversion. I still have my original copy of Uplink in the Jewel CD case.

I've been pretty impressed with Zeboyd's output thus far too.

Arrowhead (Magicka, the upcoming Showdown Effect), Frozenbyte (Trine), Blendo (Atom Zombie Smasher), Oxeye (Harvest, Cobalt), Mojang (Minecraft, Cobalt, Scrolls, 0x0c), Kot in Action (Steel Storm, Tomes of Mephistopheles), Relogic (Terraria and the new game they're working on), Giant Army (Universe Sandbox), Iron Helmet (Neptune's Pride)

Love humor, and good/interesting mechanics.

Supergiant Games (Bastion), Terry Cavanagh (vvvvvv), Jonas Kyatzes (The Book of Living Magic), and ThatGameCompany (Journey). That was easy.

Johathan Boakes by far.

Where the hell is the Last Crown? Shouldn't it have been released by now? Its site still says 2011, come on...

There are a couple of great single independent games around, but one company that consistently delivered is Introversion Software (Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon). A strong second for me is Amanita Design Studios (Machinarium, Samorost).

Runic Games is "independently operated", not indie. They are owned by Perfect World International, BIG Chinese publisher.

Twisted Pixel! Although the games aren't always the best (Comic Jumper) but their humour and the absolute wackyness of their games is awesome.

Runic Games is "independently operated", not indie. They are owned by Perfect World International, BIG Chinese publisher.
Sorry for making the mistake that independently operating companies are indie.

Fav developer - Ben Croshaw, better known to the world as Yahtzee. He is perhaps more known for his web-series "Zero Punctuation" at Escapist.com. But his first adventure indie game, 5 days a stranger, was one of the memorable game/project from Adventure Game Studio (AGS). Reflected quite well on Ron's comment that writers should be doing their own programming.

Anyway, Croshaw's game can be found at: http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

He is trying his hands on other stuff this days, but his before ZP-days stuff were awesome.

The Behemoth the maker of "Castle crashers"

and the (hopefully) soon coming "Battle block Theater"

Sorry for making the mistake that independently operating companies are indie.

No problem - they act somewhat indie, but they have a lot more money behind them than the usual indie developer. Riot (League of Legends) is the same way, their benefactor is Tencent, and Red 5 with NHN.

The ironic thing is that these Chinese-owned companies are independently operated enough to be some of the first to come out against SOPA, when China's gov't would love SOPA...

Supergiant Games (Bastion) and The Behemoth (Castle Crashers).

Both are excellent games made by small teams. Bastion in particular was just amazing.

Sign in to follow this