Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
theHOG

What do you guys at Double Fine use for creating and integrating sound and music into games?

I've done alot of studio work with a lot of different hardware and a myriad of different DAWs on both Windows and Mac. I'm really curious what sort of tools the geniuses at DFA use for their music creation, also what sort of middleware do you guys use to integrate the sound into the final product. I'd like to get more experience developing music for video games, but I don't even know what tools to start with.

I'd also love to learn what languages you guys use to program your games, and what other tools are involved in your making of a masterpiece.

Thanks in advance for any replies

I think the "music creation" thing seems to be a question for the composer of the score and not so much for DF. And I don't think DF has already chosen a composer for the game.

Though I can't be sure what tools DoubleFine uses in integrating sound into their games, Wwise and FMOD are fairly standard in the industry in addition to proprietary tools, so that would definitely be a good place to start. One of the very cool things about Peter McConnell, who has done music for most of Tim's games, is that he was one of the original developers of iMuse for Lucasarts. iMuse was one of the early integration tools used to support adaptive music.

I've done alot of studio work with a lot of different hardware and a myriad of different DAWs on both Windows and Mac. I'm really curious what sort of tools the geniuses at DFA use for their music creation, also what sort of middleware do you guys use to integrate the sound into the final product. I'd like to get more experience developing music for video games, but I don't even know what tools to start with.

I'd also love to learn what languages you guys use to program your games, and what other tools are involved in your making of a masterpiece.

Your "Studio work" is limited to fruityloops, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be asking such questions.

I don't see any differences between producing music for video games, opposed to producing music for other avenues. All the sound libraries I've worked with will eat any reasonable codec, no need for special treatment. Send sound data to the lib function -> sound comes out of speakers.

Making good music and programming video games are two separate skills. If you want to go for both, cool.

Your "Studio work" is limited to fruityloops, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be asking such questions.

\

thanks for the respectful reply,

ive worked in studio on logic and pro tools, and cubase and a bit of sonar as well recording rock and jazz groups as well as producing electronica and soundtracks. ive spent thousands of dollars on instruments and recording hardware and music performance is my main source of income. producing for video games is one of the few things i havent dived into yet. but yeah fruityloops is pretty fun too.

I don't see any differences between producing music for video games, opposed to producing music for other avenues. All the sound libraries I've worked with will eat any reasonable codec, no need for special treatment. Send sound data to the lib function -> sound comes out of speakers.

Making good music and programming video games are two separate skills. If you want to go for both, cool.

i was more curious in what specific programs the people who work for double fine use. also there are issues when it comes to mixing sound so that it doesn't just play like your favourite song on itunes, but acts like it comes from a source inside the game world. There is a whole set of tools used to test and integrate audio so that it reacts to the environment the way you would expect it to ie: the main character has a series of grunts and audio clips that accompany all the actions he does, but the reverb will change depending where he currently is, (in a castle, on a field, underwater). I realize this probably shouldn't be a topic but a PM to the forum.

Sign in to follow this