Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sochsun

Games the Dev's should Play

Now that DFA is a go, and preliminary work / development is going to be starting, I thought it would be a good idea to give a list of games that the dev's should play for inspiration. Classic adventuring games that have great moments, mechanics, puzzles. As we all want this game to be a great one, we might as well look to the fantastic games of the past

GAMES THE DEVS SHOULD PLAY:

- Space Quest IV

- Police Quest II

- King's Quest V

- Myst

- Sanitarium

Let's build a good list of great games.

machinarium, but seriously, i bet these guys have played more games in the genre than we have collectively heard about

We'll end up naming the same games we already named in other threads. Don't see the point.

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6370/

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6288/

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6084/

For example next weekend we'll be playing DOTT together to do research and it's probably not going to be the only classic...

http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6280/

Check out the threads and I'm sure you'll find one or the other game you don't know yet :)

But I wouldn't tell anyone what they should play and honestly, you're not going to surprise anyone with Myst or SQ... (Sanitarium is also not big news, it's been named a couple of time and the CD-box is lying 5m away from me, hihi).

I love the old Sierra adventure games, but their sadistic "throw pie at yeti" puzzles won't sit well with a modern audience. (I wonder how Telltale's King's Quest revival is going to turn out...)

So which games should the Double Fine crew play for inspiration...well, I don't see a point to answering that. Most of the games I'd suggest to Tim and Ron for influence are ones that they've made. :P

I am not even going to suggest an adventure game.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Most have most likely played it, but those who haven't should. I feel it was the best game of the year, although I see promise and reason behind other titles like Skyrim and Portal 2 taking the prize over it.

The game created such an AMAZING environment, that I would hack computer terminals to read people's emails. Most of them weren't even interesting at all! However, I wanted to know so much more about the world I was playing in, that I went way out of my way to read mundane little things. Sometimes you could find codes for door or security terminals, but I could easily hack them anyway. The real reason I went behind any desk was to find the story of the employee who used this as their work space. There are 100s of these computers, but each employee has a chain of emails specific to them that creates this real character that you will never meet in the game. VERY VERY VERY good design and writing went into creating that vivid of an atmosphere.

While I agree that playing games from the same genre can be good for a development team to do I would also suggest it's important for them to play equal numbers of both Good and Bad games. If you have every watched the series Extra Credits you will already know why this is important (if you haven't seen this series I highly recommend looking it up) but essentially it boils down to this. We can often learn just as much from playing bad games as we can from playing good games. Learning where the problems are and understanding where they come from can help prevent similar problems in future development.

Just food for thought :)

Good point! Then the team can play a bunch of bad games, then they will walk away feeling AWESOME that their game doesn't suck eggs. Everyone needs an ego boost every once in awhile. Except Tim... He seems like a bit of a dictator... Dicktator... I'm insinuating he is kind of a jerk.

But seriously, it is an important point to play both good and bad games.

Good point! Then the team can play a bunch of bad games, then they will walk away feeling AWESOME that their game doesn't suck eggs. Everyone needs an ego boost every once in awhile. Except Tim... He seems like a bit of a dictator... Dicktator... I'm insinuating he is kind of a jerk.

But seriously, it is an important point to play both good and bad games.

It's not really about boosting anyones ego so much as learning from previous mistakes.

I don't think anyone sets out to make Bad games but I do think it's important that we admit when things go wrong and learn from the experience.

As one of my favourite quotes put it:

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Edison

Sim Farm.

SimFarm.jpg

Who doesn't love building fences and then letting the cows bust their way out? Or flooding your crops with too much water. Those are some elements that should make it into a final game. ;)

Smiles

Ok.. Planescape Torment .. because of the story: A really awesome story which gets more complex if the game character has more points on intelligence and wisdom. Fans made a free Book out of it so you don't have to play the game.. * http://www.wischik.com/lu/senses/pst-book.html *

Secret Files - Tunguska ... because ... well it was the only Mystery "Crime" Adventure i ever played through.. the atmosphere was good.. all sequels had terrible riddles in it .. don't play them ...

Jolly Rover .. because its funny and they made a few nice riddles with voodoo spells.

The Blackwell Legacy .. the second Mystery "Crime" Adventure i played through, again atmosphere. Interessting characters and story

Portal 1 and 2 because of GladOs!

SpaceChem because .... well it's SpaceChem .. try it and tell me you don't feel your brain grow and you get smarter...

Alone in the Dark .. scary ...

Simon the Sorcerer .. a classic .. the characters walked a little slow but the details in the rooms .. awesome.. the music was great too

Portal 1 & 2. Perfect blend of puzzles and story-telling, and the sequel even masquerades as an action title. Clever con by Valve, that.

I kind of think that, if you were making something, you shouldn't pay too much attention to its contemporaries. Otherwise, you might inadvertantly (or blatantly) use ideas from it. So if I were making an adventure game, sure I'd check out Monkey Island, Space Quest, Longest Journey, etc, but wouldn't limit the field to just adventure games. I'd look at Assassin's Creed and Mario and Zelda and Tomb Raider, to see how their ideas and concepts might inspire something within an adventure environment.

Of course, Day if the Tenticle. that's it. Maybe D... Wars ha

I think that one or more of the devs might be well acquainted with that particular game...... ;)

Some out of the box games I think the devs should play:

Minecraft

Dwarf fortress

Angry Birds

Sword of fargoal

Crazy Machine or one of its descendants

Why? Because each of these have something special that you should note, AI, mechanics, puzzles, etc.

FYI, I don't like some of these games myself, but you can't deny their appeal on some level.

In my tradition of throwing out bizarre suggestions...Dark Souls. No, seriously. It is a great study in how to build an atmosphere. And although it is an action/rpg title, it delivers ALMOST the level of player-targeting sadism necessary for a real old-school adventure game.

I like games with a beautiful intro sequence like Final Fantasy 9...

IMO it makes the world of this game feel wide and interesting to explore.

EVERYONE should play Minecraft. It is brilliant.

It won 3 GDC Awards... as an INDIE! I feel it does the "Be what you want, do what you want" better than any open world game, including Skyrim. It is totally up to you on what kind of player you want to be.

mass effect series (for story telling)

fable (for art)

farhenheit

portal 2 (funny)

psychonauts (just go insane)

rezz HD (for audio)

GTA4 (big, ambitious, tripple aaa production values, still boring as hell)

these are not adventure games, but it is good to play other stuff just to see what is out there.

Sign in to follow this