Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fade2black86

Controlling your adventure: what's your favorite way of playing adventure games?

Myself, along with many fellow backers have been playing the genre since its text based origins. There are many types of adventure games, from pure text input, to point and click + text, just point and click, etc.

I always enjoyed the text input part of the old school adventure games, and I would hope that would be a control option for the new game.

The question I pose is this. What is your favorite way of playing these games and what would you like to see the new game implement?

No text input. I don't like guessing commands at all.

If it had Look, Touch, Talk, etc. at the bottom and you could click one and then click the object, I'd be happy.

hate to say it but i think text input might not work with today's audience. it would be fun to have some sort of quirky thing in the game that pays homage to it though.

hate to say it but i think text input might not work with today's audience. it would be fun to have some sort of quirky thing in the game that pays homage to it though.

I completely agree that today's audience wouldn't stand for text input as the only option, but I would enjoy seeing it as an option along with other control schemes.

Point and click. I could handle a few verbs. But the time of lots of verbs has past. I didn't mind the input controls on Grim Fandango too much, it was "new" and "fresh" at the time, but looking back on the title proves it to be a little clunky for modern games. So I think point and click is a strong input mechanic and has lots of heritage in the genre that most of us are looking for.

I really like games in which you play different days, like gabriel knight, or blade runner, its pretty cool to see the day develops, and seeing the character after doing some things, then having a date at night, or going to bed, or getting drunk, and then waking up the next day, it feels as if you're really living a life and then the story develops through that life, i think the idea of going to a weird location and having an endless day to start its pretty boring... i like to see more of the main character life, not only the adventure in strange places... i like to see their love life, problems with friends, school, work, etc not just "im going to a jungle somewhere to look for a tomb"

A can of Diet Pepsi in one hand and a piece of pizza in the other, wondering how on earth I'm going to use the mouse. Ah, those were the days.

Oh, you mean control schemes. Well, [gets out bullet-proof shield] I actually loved WASD/keyboard-only controls. Like in GF and Escape. Now, I'm going to run away very fast. If you'd be so kind as to look behind you at that distraction for a moment?

[Flees]

I think that the point & click scheme works the best for adventure games, especially combined with "verb coin" interface used in Full Throttle. If find it to be the best combo, well at least for me :)

i want it to be left completely in the arrests hands. i appreciate additional features and collectibles, i appreciate added incentive to collect and explore in the way it makes the character more efficient and stronger, but i don't like when it effects the ending. i find it frustrating that many times i have to play the game to the point i dont like it anymore just to get the "best ending"

please make just 1 ending.

I like direct controls more than point and click, feels more immersive to me, e.g. I really loved the Heavy Rain control style (I know, not a traditional adventure in any way).

I think the best compromise in the game will be if you can choose whether you want to move with mouse clicks or if you want to use the arrow keys/analogue sticks. This would make it also more cross-platform friendly. On Touchscreen devices you have the point and click mechanisms, consoles get the direct control and pc gamers should be comfortable using both methods.

As far as text goes, I never played a text based adventure game but I could imagine it to be fun to have some text input elements in the game but not exclusively.

Grim fandango had a heavy atmosphere, so the controls didn't bother me that much, but monkey four was a NIGHTMARE! point-and-click, with an added coin (like in monkey 3) is perfect. Think about it - it allows you to scan the entire area super fast and efficient-like. Psychonauts is the best game ever made, true, but it's not a "classic adventure game". It's more like an action RPG with awesome completely-different-from-one-another levels (which is why they are awesome).

ANYWYAS

point-and-click, and NOT CGI. To this day I still whoop out monkey 3 once a year and play it because it's one of my "favorite animated movies" of all times :)

Point & click, the Sam and Max Hit The Road control scheme being my favourite. Right click cycles through actions, left click... clicks.

The Kyrandia series was pretty much spot-on for controls:

Left-click: Execute context-sensitive action, select/combine/manage items from inventory, skip current dialog line

ESC: Skip cutscene

Who needs stupid verbs anyway?

Point & click, the Sam and Max Hit The Road control scheme being my favourite. Right click cycles through actions, left click... clicks.

I'm also for this. Though, I wouldn't mind a bunch of verbs at the left bottom of my screen like in earlier Scumm games.

But, seeing as this is Double Fine, I'd probably be okay with anything they do.

I prefer traditional point and click, with either a verb coin or the ability to scroll through verbs with the mouse wheel. I don't hate direct control, but it's often awkward to use because of changing camera angles.

I'm alright with context-sensitive actions instead of verbs, but I think having verbs available creates opportunity for some funny lines when the player tries to do some rather ridiculous things to objects.

point and click, with as few verbs as possible.

also, don't leave out the inventory puzzles!

Point-and-click, but I prefer something like the CMI "coin".

The normal clicks are context-sensitive, but you can hover for more options that can lead to amusing dialogue or hints about what to next.

For Example, Right-click will automatically open the door, but if you hold right click, the menu opens up with a limited set of verbs, so if you try to EAT the DOOR, the character will say, "I can't fit that in my mouth. I'd need at least two more drinks."

I would like the Verbs approach but then again I'm stuck in the old Indiana Jones Games. That is what I had the fondest memory of. I would say that Sam 'n' Max Hit the Road controls also were very intuitive. Please don't use the wsad approach I despise having to get the character facing the right direction to start an action, much easier to just "Point & Click" :-)

point & click on a touch phone, while sitting anywhere I would otherwise read a paper or magazine

text adventures are too mean.

they first invite you to come up with original ideas and then 900 out of 1000 are not understood, 99 are rejected and 1 works.

if you're lucky.

not one text adventure has ever been different for me

CMI style verb coin, or if done well MI2 style 9 verb interface.

I dislike cycling because I like to have an overview over the actions I can choose. Having an overview over your situation is for me the most important part of designing puzzles that are challenging because of the puzzles and not because of the interface.

Is verb coin where you click an object and (usually two) relevant actions appear, for example one indicating 'examine' and one indicating 'interact'?

I love that. More freedom is usually added by combining inventory items with other objects either in the present location or in the inventory.

I think it's how Hector and Broken Sword work. Both have very good interfaces.

Sign in to follow this