Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Greg Rice

Production Update #1: Where does all the $$$$ go?

I think they've made the "From Double Fine" forum and moved these threads to it for that precise purpose.

I think they've made the "From Double Fine" forum and moved these threads to it for that precise purpose.
Yeah I'm just noticing this. My bad. Thanks! :)

Maybe I'm mistaken because I never really read the EULA's and other such fine prints when ordering and signing up for services online, but aren't we legally, contractually obligated to pay you (read Double Fine) for the amount that we pledged? That's seriously NOT COOL that some people would pledge to give money for a project and then fail to live up to there end of the agreement. I would much like to have more information on what you could do to receive the pledges promised from these "failed transactions".

To be honest I think there's a cost/benefit compromise to be looked at there. I imagine you could take people to court or sic collections agencies on them to get the money back... but doing all that costs money in the first place. Unless you're talking about a fairly chunky donation, it's not going to be worth it - and even then, you're gambling that the person in question actually has the money in the first place.

I'd much rather DF spent the money on making the game than on becoming the big scary game developer that sends the boys around to shake you down if you don't cough up. And besides, by not paying these people have locked themselves out of this subforum and won't get any of the other goodies of the tier they pledged for - that's punishment enough.

While I agree with you, it just makes me angry that people make promises to pledge and revoke on them. Just think of some projects that just barely reach their funding mark and then 5% of the backers become failed transactions.

Oh well, I guess that is just humanity for you:(

Don't assume that all of those backers (and it's not 5% of the backers, it's actually closer to 0.5%, a little over.) failed payments because they 'revoked' on their pledge. I'm sure a large number of them fall into the category of:

1) People whose payments failed and they couldn't get them to work, despite trying to.

2) People whose payments failed and they didn't realise that had happened in the week they had to fix it.

I was thinking more of what would happen to smaller projects that have failed transactions, rather than this one. I suppose it doesn't really matter considering how much money they received.

And people revoking their pledges I would have no problem with, sometimes financial situations happen. You have 31 to decide to withdraw from backing, if you don't decide to do that, then you decide to make a payment. Perhaps I should worded my post better.

Well, if it was still 0.5% of the budget, it wouldn't really matter to a smaller project either. And like I said above, one out of every 200 credit card payments fails? I think that's quite understandable.

This is really interesting, thanks for the read.

Too bad DoubleFine couldn't have worked out slightly lesser Kickstarter fees, since DoubleFine arguably helped bring a tremendous increase of attention and new users to their service (with something like a 1/3 going on to backing additional projects), according to one of their recent blog posts.

Smiles

I'm confused. Tim talked about sausages and all I see is a pie (chart) :S?

Awesome info Greg! Thanks for sharing!

Nice to see you guys sharing this detailed information. It also paints a picture of what's involved. Really nice.

Now hurry up with a first little documentary. Already aced Psychonauts (for the second time, third playthrough) apart from the blasted minigame, and I'm dying for a video update :-)

Is Ron Gilbert part of Double Fine's Eleven or can't he work full time on DFA because of his own game right now?
It's been said before he isn't going to be a full time team member, but he'll be helping to plan the game.

Only 11 people working on the game. Wow, that's not a big team. :)

But I guess the classic adventure games didnt have huge teams either. Keepin' it old-school!

Well, let's have a look at the credits for Full Throttle and see how that bears out, for fun. That is everyone apart from actors and let's say testers (I doubt the 11 includes testers) and other people who end up in credits but didn't actually make the game. Since it seems plausible the music might be outsourced to Peter McConnell, too, let's leave out the composers. Difficult to say how the voice recordings will be managed, but let's say that that stuff is outsourced too:

Writer, Designer & Project Leader Tim Schafer

Lead Artist Peter Chan

Lead Animator Larry Ahern

Lead Programmer Stephen R. Shaw

Programmers Mark Crowley, Hwei-Li Tsao, Tim Schafer, Jonathan Ackley, Dave Grossman

System Programmer Aric Wilmunder

Production Managers Casey Donahue Ackley, Tamlynn Barra

Animators Pete Tsacle, Anson Jew, Charlie Ramos

Background Artists Peter Chan, Brian Rich

3D Vehicle Models Richard Green

Character Designs Larry Ahern

Vehicle Designs Peter Chan

3D Artists David Vallone, Dan Colon, Richard Green

Art Technicians Lleslle Aclaro, Michele Harrell, Kim Balestreri

Additional Programming by Paul D. LeFevre, Matthew Russell

Lead Sound Designer Clint Bajakian

Sound Designers Jonathan Hoffberg, Mark Crowley

At a quick count, that's 24 unique names on the Full Throttle team. It seems they probably won't need 3D artists this time around (but you never know, maybe they'll 3D model something) and it's doubtful all those people were on the team for the whole of production, but I think it's pretty safe to say that this will be a slightly smaller team than they had the luxury of drawing from at LucasArts. Even if you take out everyone but the main programmers and 2D artists and animators and Tim, that's still 13 people.

Bear in mind, not every name in the credits is a full-time team member. Some may be contractors who only worked on the game for 3 weeks, for example. Things like character design, sound effects, even music are usually going to be less than the entire development cycle.

Don't assume that all of those backers (and it's not 5% of the backers, it's actually closer to 0.5%, a little over.) failed payments because they 'revoked' on their pledge. I'm sure a large number of them fall into the category of:

1) People whose payments failed and they couldn't get them to work, despite trying to.

2) People whose payments failed and they didn't realise that had happened in the week they had to fix it.

I myself gave my small pledge some time in the beginning, and had it accepted, and had no issues. Then on the day after the funding finished, I wake up late to see a message that my payment had failed and ACTION WAS NEEDED!

After a frantic day or two of finding out what was up (turned out my debit card had stopped supporting online payments), and another frantic day or two of getting a credit card to use, I was finally able to make the payment.

I have no idea how long it allowed you to wait before it stopped, but I was thankfully able to squeeze in. It would've been nicer if it had warned me from the start, I guess, though.

So yeah...not always done as "revoking".

Thank you! I love the fact that you are sharing (and will share) so much about this process. Especially given how much of the development process is usually trade secret.

Thanks for sharing the information. It's always interesting to read some stats.

So the minimum budget would have been $270750 for the game and $90250 for the docu.

DF can now utalise 825% of the budget and 2PP 437%.

Personally i would have expected higher costs for the rewards but less for making the documentary.

Do you have any idea how frequently we'll get film updates?

And any news on the technology front (licensing which engine or writing your own)?

Most interesting.. As mentioned by some of the other backers I too would want to see more detailed budget of the double fine part some time in the future.. Also good choice in picking fangamer, they are awesome people and have done awesome work in the past..

Thank you for the full report and breakdown of the allocation of funds. Much appreciated!

Yup, further stats on the game production would be interesting as well.

to me aslong as they are honest where the money goes/what they do with it it's all fine :)

Fully agree! 11 man years is a big amount, however I am more looking forward to the actual game shaping up and discussions on it. If it gets as much attention as the financials in the forum you may need to factor in a new forum host.

to me aslong as they are honest where the money goes/what they do with it it's all fine :)

Well said. Me too! After all the awesome DF and vintage titles, Tim Schafer could ship me his poo and I'd think it was interesting. DF are good folk. I think if the backers let them do their magic without much interfering hubbub, we'll have a game/documentary/experience worth every penny invested.

Kind of a shame that so much went to rewards for us, but I guess there would have been less money without them. I think its awesome though that 2pp gets almost 4 times as much as they were going to be originally paid, that means better videos for us :D

Thanks for sharing, it would be nice to see, at the end, how much the graphics, sound, programming had cost.

Not to mention the confetti. Never underestimate the cost of confetti!

Just want to add my thanks for this as well. Really interesting stuff! I have no doubt that both the doc and the game will be awesome with that amount of funding.

This transparency thing is great!

We could learn a lot about making games. It's interesting to see how a game gets financed.

Maybe you could expand that pie chart. How much do you spend on food?

And on what food.

I always wanted to know if chinese food leads to more creativity. I assume that because I like pizza and

that does nothing for me.

What strikes me as interesting would be the breakdown of which backers get (or contribute to) what percentage of the reward dollars.

If we look at the Kickstarter Stats thread, we see that the vast majority (83%?) of backers fell into the $15 and $30 reward tiers, which have no "physical" rewards at all, so I'd suspect the vast majority of the reward production\shipping costs must be going to the (~11,500) $100 tier backers. So, about $26 apiece for the T-Shirt, Poster, and boxed game\DVD. (~$45 with shipping).

Right?

Sign in to follow this