Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DNZAQUINO

If this game were to flop would you fund another DFA?

If this game were to flop would you fund another DFA?  

253 members have voted

1. 1. If this game were to flop would you fund another DFA?

• Yes!
    • No!
    • Yes, but I would probably pledge less next time...
    • FLOP!! You must be joking!!

I don't understand. We already paid DF 3 million. It can't flop. For some incredibly odd reason it might sell exactly zero copies and make no profit, but that's not a flop. DF can't lose money on this; they already have our money.

Whatever, yes, I would. It's Double Fine. If they want to make another adventure game and if I enjoyed the story of the first, I would support it.

It depends on whether I like the game or not. If I enjoy it, I will probably fund the next one as well, even if this one doesn't sell a single copy (outside the ones the backers are getting).

The game can't technically flop any more since all the development costs are covered in advance, it can only not sell that many additional copies.

I'll try to answer what I think you're asking... that if DF were to make crowd-funding habitual, would we grow some sense of fatigue after a while and stop donating.. I think that could very well happen. This Kickstarter bubble really could burst at any moment.. With the exception of DF, a lot of these games still haven't reached the end of their donation period, meaning that all of the money being sent out is still conceptual at this point. I feel that when all of these projects close at the same time, people's wallets are going to get hit extremely hard all at once, and I feel like that might scare people enough to the point where they may not donate as much in the future.. Leading to new projects potentially failing, which in turn would lead to a sort of developer 'exile' from the kickstarter platform, leading to.... wait, what was the question?

does my question not make sense? if the game were to flop and doublefine put out a new DFA project on kickstarter would you donate again?

does my question not make sense? if the game were to flop and doublefine put out a new DFA project on kickstarter would you donate again?

You mean if they don't finish the game with the funds they got with this kickstarter drive? And they start a second one for the same game? Or do you mean if this game doesn't sell well?

flop

verb \ˈfläp\

flopped flop·ping

Definition of FLOP

intransitive verb

: to swing or move loosely : flap

: to throw or move oneself in a heavy, clumsy, or relaxed manner

: to change or turn suddenly

: to go to bed

: to fail completely

Let's analyze, shall we?

I doubt that definitions 1-4 have anything to do with his original question, so let's focus on #5

What is the definition of fail? To not finish, or to finish but the product is sub-par? Technically, if they finished then we will have both fulfilled our commitments. Thus, the only way it can completely fail is to not finish... no? Well, if they didn't finish I would certainly put money towards either a 2nd try or an extended 1st try.

By flop do you mean the game turns out to be crap? I have a hard time seeing that happening, but even if it did I would still donate again. considering their awesome track record I think that getting a bad game would be like getting struck by lightning, extremely rare, and very unlikely to happen twice.

i iz sry mi ? iz zo mind boggling complexing. i bet there were many backers who had never even heard of tim let alone play a point and click adventure game and this game may be their very first... i guess if this game were to suck the potential to get this sort of money again from kickstarter or similar wouldn't be as great. maybe i got too much doom in me....btw that cat in the picture got killed by a car a few days ago...."sob"

Question makes sense to me. I would 100% fund it if theres another doc with the project. As everyone watching this current one would/should have learnt from the last mistakes.

i wouldnt donate to another one if this one turns out to be garbage, i'd rather wait and buy it on sale after it's released then.

if it flops as in flopping as in selling bad as in making them somehow lose money on a project thats already funded, while still being a decent game, i might donate again.

It's freakin' Tim Schafer. It's impossible for the game to flop. Now the subject matter that is chosen? That will play a big factor.

If I absolutely hated the game then I probably wouldn't back another doublefine adventure.

I fully expect to love the game though, so don't see a problem.

I'm pretty sure the game will be half way decent to say the least. Isn't that why we all donated? We already knew we wanted it from all the entertainment we know they are capable of.

Yes, because as odd as it might sound, I'm not concerned if the game flops. I put forward the amount of money I thought would be suitable for what I wanted to receive. I consider what I've done to be a pre-order. If I like this game, I will likely pre-order the next one.

I would give Double Fine my paycheck even if they beat up my dog. And I freaking LOVE my dog, so it's kind of a big deal. Tim could punch me in the face and I would turn around and give him $20. THAT is how much I love Double Fine games.

I have this strange feeling that even if the game is ignored by most of the world I'll still love it. In order to make an adventure game I hated they would have to fundamentally change something about their creativity. There is an above 96% chance I would support a future DF kickstarter.

I'd be a backer again, absolutely! Only a little less money the second round. I put a little extra on this DFA because i'm -very- curious about the documentary and getting more insides, like sketches... Always inspiring if you want to get into game design aswell.

And of course, it's Double Fine! They deserve it. I must also send a big thanks to the adventure game communities out there (fan-made adventure games, fan-made game engines, playthrough vids on youtube, etc) for keeping the genre alive. And of course a big thanks to Lucasfilm/LucasArts from the late 80s and early 90s.

It really depends on what was wrong with it. To be honest, if it were genuinely bad I would probably not back another Double Fine game, but it wouldn't change how I feel about Kickstarter in general, and I wouldn't be mad about it or anything. I recognize that we made a gamble on good faith and I'm comfortable with the idea that not every project will be as good as it sounded on paper.

But if this project is a mess and it makes it seem like Double Fine just didn't manage their time and money right and all that, then I probably wouldn't back their future projects, not out of spite, but just so I could back more promising things.

I seriously doubt it will be a creative failure though.

I'll Probably Support Them Again If I Have The Dosh. There's Just So Much Optimism And Good Vibes About This One That If It Ends Bad, It'll Probably Be By Some External Influence

If you mean flop as in it doesn't sell well, then yeah I would fund another one. If you mean it's a bad game and waste of my money, then no I would not.

I think the irony is, (if you like all those gifts you get with your pledge), if the game is good and is a head turner for publishers and their willing to put hand in pocket for the next "DFA" then i'm sure doublefine will take that route rather than rely on kickstarter where you never know how much funds your going to recieve.

It's freakin' Tim Schafer. It's impossible for the game to flop.

In the minds of us, that's true enough. But not nearly enough people bought Brutal Legend for EA's satisfaction.

And, come to think of it, not nearly enough people bought Psychonauts ... that is, until it came out on Steam.

As for the OP, I do believe they are positing the possibility that the DFA turns out to be a critical failure, as opposed to a commercial disaster. In that case: It's freakin' Tim Schafer. It's impossible for the game to critically fail.

:D

It's freakin' Tim Schafer. It's impossible for the game to flop.

In the minds of us, that's true enough. But not nearly enough people bought Brutal Legend for EA's satisfaction.

And, come to think of it, not nearly enough people bought Psychonauts ... that is, until it came out on Steam.

As for the OP, I do believe they are positing the possibility that the DFA turns out to be a critical failure, as opposed to a commercial disaster. In that case: It's freakin' Tim Schafer. It's impossible for the game to critically fail.

:D

It is possible for the game to be so awesome it implodes in on itself....

But yeah, its happened to projects with bigger budgets and everyone rolls a 1 at least once.

I regret nothing.

Sign in to follow this