Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
neotoxic

The Art style of salesmanbuck

Fellow backers of adventure check out http://salesmanbuck.com/ and there fantastic 'Meet Buck' animation http://vimeo.com/17535548

Tell my fellow backers of adventure, dose there work not feel like a fantastic contemporary Double Fine Adventure cut seen?

I am sure that this is totally not open for discussion and the Double Fine people are all over the art, but in my overly simplistic view of the universe I think it would be super cool if these guys could team up with Double Fine.

thanks for sharing that those were some pretty stylish and funnyanimations, really like the mixture of 3d and the painterly look and 2d animation.

Your very welcome, I am glad you liked it. Its fantastically well done. Just 3D enough to feel right, but never loosing the 2D charm. Beautiful stuff.

Oh, that's absolutely jaw-dropping. It would be a dream come true to see DF collaborate with those guys.

They really do remind me of a Full Throttle / Grim Fandango / Psychonauts / Day of the Tentacle art style

Absolutely, its lost non of the charm of its 2D aesthetic. Its like anything, if its done well enough its awesome.

Ok first thing: That was fantastic

second thing: I don't want them teaming up with DF

At least not if it were to do anything like "meet buck" style. The problem is that the animation is very stylised, very skilled, and very focused, and because of this it is VERY distracting. This may just be me, and I cannot voice the objection too well, but I find the same problem with exceptionally artistic films. It becomes less a film and more a demonstration of the directors ability. Likewise, in meet buck, I never thought about the plot, or the characters, or the emotion. I just thought all the way through "these are brilliant animators who have done brilliant animation." I got that message so loud that, were this to be in a DF game, it would probably drown out all the qualities of the actual game.

Edit: Looking at the credits. These people are French?

I totally agree; the two short films they have don seem focused on style over any larger attempt at character or plot development. Priority has been given to the visual opportunity scenes might afford over there impact on the story. However I think there are some great moments in there and some loverly little touches of timing and humour.

I love that with these animations you'd never know they were 3D rendered from still shots; you can pause them at pretty much any point and the stills just look painted.

I posted something about 'Meet Buck' last week in the 'Pixels or polygons?' poll, but I think it got buried pretty quickly in the stampede to post on here in the first few days. 'Mac 'n' Cheese' is also worth a look for more of this kind of style (done by different folks but with a very similar visual style).

Here's a link to my previous post rather than repeating my thoughts on the subject: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/6086/P75/#194823

This art style is quite a nice fit for DFA, I think a poll should be posted, just to see what the majority of backers feel about this

The art style is the same art style made famous by The Animation Workshop.

See a bunch of their short films here: http://www.youtube.com/user/viborganimation/videos

I especially recommend....

The Saga of Bjorn:

It's a comedy, but their inside jokes about the Norse and historical events prove they truly know their subject material.

Space Stallions:

If you're a child of the 80s, I don't know how you can watch this without going twinkly-eyed.

PS: They also do creepy/mature/adult stuff. They have a cartoon on their that's all motorcycles and genitalia and such. This one, though, was making the rounds on the internet a few months ago as I recall. Same studio! The narrative leaves something to be desired, although I like that it is clearly inspired by Shirley Jackson's The Lottery! They just took her idea and added a psychopomp to the mix.

The Backwater Gospel:

Tell my fellow backers of adventure, dose there work not feel like a fantastic contemporary Double Fine Adventure cut seen?

Indeed. Pretty much how I would imagine the art style for the DFA.

Sign in to follow this