Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ciergan

Anyone feeling the urge to make a game themselves?

The potential education these next few months might give is rather inspiring. Just looking at a recent RockPaperShotgun article about making games with Adventure Game Studio...yeah, it would probably be tough. And take a lot of time. And take a lot more education about scripting. And drawing. And writing. And creating.

I dunno, man. I could go for that. Anyone else have any impulses or urges along this line? It might be fun to see a few games pop up alongside DFA.

Most definitely. Granted, I have a lot of learning to go through before I actually have the capability to create a full game, but it won't stop me from working on aspects of a game I already have the skills for.

oh yes. writing and concepting one right now. probably will be done in....2030. and thats only part 1 in a larger story arch.

@ciergan if youre making an old school VGA game in AGS I wouldnt worry too much about the scripting and drawing. you can make it fairly simple graphics-wise to begin with. copy a walk cycle off of the net and youre done.

Yeah buddy! About a month ago I started making an outline for an adventure game-style story. The most difficult part of the process is creating a solid story, and sticking with it. Outlines are the best, and I found that the story almost writes itself if you have a solid outline.

At the moment I'm playing around with RPG Maker VX Ace because it's super easy to use, but it's not built for adventure games.

I actually work doing games :)

I could recommend you guys to try and download Unity3D game engine (that comes with free license for iOS and Android until April 8) and try some tutorials from their website or 3DBuzz, who has some great ones too.

I haven't used Unity too much, but I really like that is very simple to use and you can prototype a game very quick.

not sure if links to other websites can be posted, but just a quick google for Unity3D and 3DBuzz would take you to the right way.

I could recommend you guys to try and download Unity3D game engine

I second that. unity is great and so simple to use. and thats what Im using for my one as well.

but for people with no or little programming/scripting background AGS is a lot easier to set up a 2d adventure game in.

unity provides easy physics, collisions, shading and input and all that, but for all the specific systems (dialog, interactions, cutscene handling) you have in a pointnclick you need to script quite a lot.

Unity is doing free iOS and Android licenses for next few day. Its about $300-$400 each normally... Just saying, I have never gotten a deal THAT GOOD.

Would love to, but game making is a group effort that requires a huge investment in time (and therefore, money). If the right combination of group, time and money line up for me, then I'm totally in.

Yes. (Answer to the original question.)

Unity is doing free iOS and Android licenses for next few day. Its about $300-$400 each normally... Just saying, I have never gotten a deal THAT GOOD.

DAZ 3D is giving away three of its products for free (see here). Was supposed to end at the end of March but I see it's still up. (Intro page with nice graphics here.) Different discipline, but an equally good deal IMO.

I been dying to make a game. Just need time and more manpower

If you need more manpower, you just haven't chosen the right game. :)

Every six months or so I get this urge. Then I usually get stuck with doing something else I'd rather not be doing and forget all about it. One of these aeons...

I have the urge to make games all the time (hence my alias). But right now I'm trying to keep it simple because I don't have artists or composers at my beck and call.

No impulse, but I'll play the games you all create if they're good. ;)

Smiles

If I had more free time I would be a constant game-making whirlwind of... game-making-ness. As it stands I barely have time to piddle around.

Also, Stencyl is my preferred tool. It's worth checking out if you like to be able to put your stuff online where people can play it (Flash).

All the time. But then I remember how much work that would require, and how lazy I am.

Not at all. My programming abilities peaked with writing programs for my calculator freshman year in high school, I'm afraid. But I like playing games other people make, so it all works out.

Been there, done that. :) I'd like to make another, but game design is hard, and I wouldn't be satisfied unless my next game was better than my first, so… I'm not working on one at the moment.

I'd like to try making an adventure game, and I do already have an idea I could probably work with. AGS seems relatively straightforward to use, too.

Sadly my artistic skill is nil.

I have an idea for a mobile game I know would be a huge hit, but I don't really have the resources to get it done.

I am actually making a game right now!

It's a first-person comedic graphic adventure game.

The only thing I find hard is the amount of time it takes to piece every sound, frame, and puzzle together.

It is the first game in hopefully a set of 2. (The second game being in 3rd person)

I'm hoping to finish it in or around late 2013 to early 2014.

I have one spot open for anyone that wants to do a little bit of art for a certain location in a game.

The art must be made in Adobe Illustrator or similar vector program.

Anyone interested can PM me!

First in- first get!

(No you won't be paid, but you can go in the credits and have a photo of yourself put into the game if desired)!

Oh yea, I would love to. Started a solo project a while back, but it turned out to be a lot more work than I could handle. Still though, if anyone wants to try a team effort I'd be glad to help in any way that I can.

I've worked for a few big video game companies in the last few years as QA tester and programmer, and while those jobs aren't all that bad, they're not that great either. So far I had no creative input on the games I developed, even when I insisted. There's just too much demand for game designers and barely any opportunities to make the jump. Becoming a successful game designer is my dream since pretty much ever, but it just seems fate is against me, always denying me of a chance to prove my worth.

Also, things aren't looking good in the industry because of all the bad decisions they've taken recently. Video games is an art form that thrives on innovation, but partially because of the recent economic crash, no publisher wants to actually take a risk and instead prefer to release the same games over and over and include in them hardcore DRM and ridiculously expensive DLC, but by doing so it's killing the market instead. On the other end we have the rise of the mobile and social network platforms, but now everybody and their cousins are developing on these platforms and are oversaturating the market, and since there's no quality control, 99.99% of the games on those platforms are either shovelware or shallow games (including Angry Birds, Draw Something and Infinity Blade). On the long term, people will lose interest in these kind of games and the whole market will crash. It's not speculation, this has happened several times in the past already.

So under these conditions, what does someone like me supposed to do? Most big companies don't have an open mind, I'm too exhausted during my free time, and I can't quit my day job and go indie without the funds to do so, and even if I had the funds my game would most likely be lost in an ocean of crap. I already even tried teaming up with a little group of developers that wanted to try going indie, but in the end they weren't as serious as they claimed and the lack of funds demotivated all of the others team members.

Therefore, all I can do right now is endure my current situation... maybe. I thought for a long time becoming a programmer would allow me to eventually become a designer, but as time passes it seems that's far from enough after all. In fact, it's sad how many game designers do not even know the basic concepts of programming. So right now I'm seriously considering changing jobs for something more interesting in the short term outside the video game industry and create my own opportunity much later in my career.

Sigh... :(

I'll get around to it. I have a design brewing for something which I could actually conceivably put together this year (if I can get past a few projects\hurdles first). Worth a try! Most of my ideas in the past have been too ambitious to tackle without a team or money. I've wanted to create games since I started playing them, and I made some shonky 2D games a decade or so ago.

I'm sure there's a lot of talent in this community. Would anyone be up for some kind of collaborative DF-community game jam? I'm thinking projects which are small enough to be completable in a couple of weekends or something, rather than months or years. Mostly for fun and to get creatively involved. I'd more than happily put some music together for something. Just a thought.

I've started writing a game, but I need to find someone who can draw.

It's called 'Marduk The Wizard', and it's a 2D platformer based on the life and times of Rupert Murdoch seen through the filter of Conan the Barbarian.

Anyone feel like helping out?

I was thinking about making an Adventure game myself. I'm a pretty good artist (dungeonlegacy) and I've done a bit of programing as well.

I found a scripting language for Adventure games called SLUDGE that works on Mac, Linux and PCs. It requires some knowledge of computer programing but the site do a good job of explaining how it works, so even beginners can figure it out. The Interpreter and Game Engine are two separate programs so you can easily port your game to different computers. If you're on a Mac, like I am, this is a good alternative to AGS.

I would be willing to work with anyone else working on a game provided I liked the idea and had some input into the final game play.

I've worked for a few big video game companies in the last few years as QA tester and programmer, and while those jobs aren't all that bad, they're not that great either. So far I had no creative input on the games I developed, even when I insisted. There's just too much demand for game designers and barely any opportunities to make the jump. Becoming a successful game designer is my dream since pretty much ever, but it just seems fate is against me, always denying me of a chance to prove my worth.

Also, things aren't looking good in the industry because of all the bad decisions they've taken recently. Video games is an art form that thrives on innovation, but partially because of the recent economic crash, no publisher wants to actually take a risk and instead prefer to release the same games over and over and include in them hardcore DRM and ridiculously expensive DLC, but by doing so it's killing the market instead. On the other end we have the rise of the mobile and social network platforms, but now everybody and their cousins are developing on these platforms and are oversaturating the market, and since there's no quality control, 99.99% of the games on those platforms are either shovelware or shallow games (including Angry Birds, Draw Something and Infinity Blade). On the long term, people will lose interest in these kind of games and the whole market will crash. It's not speculation, this has happened several times in the past already.

[snip]

Therefore, all I can do right now is endure my current situation... maybe. I thought for a long time becoming a programmer would allow me to eventually become a designer, but as time passes it seems that's far from enough after all. In fact, it's sad how many game designers do not even know the basic concepts of programming. So right now I'm seriously considering changing jobs for something more interesting in the short term outside the video game industry and create my own opportunity much later in my career.

Sigh... :(

This should be mandatory reading for any programmer interested in joining the video game industry. I was lucky enough to discover this through various interviews with game companies I had after I graduated college. I eventually made the difficult decision to take a job doing graphics/data visualization in the oil industry instead. I haven't regretted it since.

Sign in to follow this