Sign in to follow this  
Cecil

We made this project happen, let´s help Jane Jensen

who cares how good or bad jane jensens pitch is i don't even need a pitch video to give her support having played her games. i admit im mainly pledging to get that one step closer to GK4 but that being said she makes great adventure games so im happy either way

From this article: http://alternativemagazineonline.co.uk/2012/04/12/interview-in-conversation-with-jane-jensen-pinkerton-road-studio/

Yes. I have spoken to the IP holder a number of times in the past, and again just recently (Activision owns the rights now). There is a good opportunity for a GK to happen with Pinkerton Road, it’s just not likely to happen quickly. I think once we can show we’ve shipped a good game, it will be quite doable.

If anybody wants GK4, Jane needs your help now!

who cares how good or bad jane jensens pitch is i don't even need a pitch video to give her support having played her games. i admit im mainly pledging to get that one step closer to GK4 but that being said she makes great adventure games so im happy either way

Yup, but you need a pitch for people who are not fans, who don't know Jane Jensen ! Those people are extremely important. Only fanbase isn't enough to make this work.

Besides you can't expect people to fund this project simply because they love the genre. This is Kickstarter not Greenpeace. And for good reasons for many people even 16 bucks is reason enough to think hard before backing/buying! Also not that IMO you can love the genre and not want to play all the classics from the late 80's and early 90's (some people can't stand VGA...).

So in short:

--> If you love the genre and don't know Gabriel Knight & Gray Matter I'd recommend to check it out (if you're picky about graphic - go with Gray Matter or Gabriel Knight 3).

--> If story is important for you, Jane Jensen's games might be especially interesting for you --> check these games out. If you have a good feeling about it, then backing should be a wise choice!

--> Usually the games also come with some interesting puzzle ideas. Not always perfectly executed but at least not like every second Adventure game! So it's worth to check it out.

--> Also consider: This is a start of a new company. Jane will put a lot extra-effort in this game PLUS she seems to be in it with a lot of her own money. And this is not just about whether we have a game or not! There's more at stake.

--> A good first game will open the gates for a GK4 sequel.

Anyhow I think it might become easier to communicate the project on Kickstarter when it's clear what game it's going to be! I'm looking forward to checking out the concepts for all three ideas in a few hours. After the voting I'm optimistic that she'll be able to reshape the pitch so it will give everyone a clear idea about the selected idea and a good reason to fund this project - even if you know nothing about her!!!

Welp, despite stating my deep skepticism toward this Kickstarter in post #21, in the end I just plonked down $50 to support Jane Jensen's initiative. Ultimately she *did* create my all-time favorite adventure game series. Despite my misgivings about Gray Matter, I think Gray Matter 2 sounds interesting since that particular girl was one of the most interesting characters out of the university bunch. And anyhow, now I can vote on which project goes first! So I can't complain afterwards...

So yes, if anyone has initial skepticism towards this kickstarter, I think Jane's subsequent updates worked to ease many of my concerns. So hopefully people will also follow to plonk in some moolah for Jane!

Time to start voting for the game concept soon :)

I expect Moebius to win a landslide victory, because it looks most similar to Gabriel Knight :P

The concept art for Gray Matter 2 looks great, I have not played GM1 but I have read lots of comments where people complain about the gameplay. Everybody seems to like the story though so perhaps she can get it right this time.

The artwork for Anglophile Adventure looks really beautiful, but I can't stop thinking of brittish gardening shows when I see the pictures and read the description.

Go Jane!

Personally I think they have room to improve their message a lot ...

* Backing a small studio to produce ADVENTURES (not just games and an adventure).

* Asking for creative independence after having shown in the past decade the current model sucks (see Gray Matter problems).

* They already have two teams and initial designs.

* They are offering even you to visit their house.

* They are already asking for feedback from initial backers.

For anyone who hasnt backed yet but is thinking about it: youve got about 1 more hour to back before the registration to vote deadline happens :D

Welp, despite stating my deep skepticism toward this Kickstarter in post #21, in the end I just plonked down $50 to support Jane Jensen's initiative. Ultimately she *did* create my all-time favorite adventure game series. Despite my misgivings about Gray Matter, I think Gray Matter 2 sounds interesting since that particular girl was one of the most interesting characters out of the university bunch. And anyhow, now I can vote on which project goes first! So I can't complain afterwards...

So yes, if anyone has initial skepticism towards this kickstarter, I think Jane's subsequent updates worked to ease many of my concerns. So hopefully people will also follow to plonk in some moolah for Jane!

Thank you for your pledge.

Once the voting result is revealed, I think many people such as yourself who were waiting to see what happens will become backers.

holy crap, the concept pdf given to backers is awesome. Much more convincing than the kickstarter descriptions.

holy crap, the concept pdf given to backers is awesome. Much more convincing than the kickstarter descriptions.

Yep, even that Anglophile Adventure, in which I had little to no interest initially, sounds very promising in that pdf. Anyway it seems, as most people already expected, that Moebius will be chosen in the #1 place. I hope that will help with the pledges, as some people seemed to have their issues with Anglophile Adventure (quite different from GK) and GM2 (didn't like GM/don't want a sequel), and it can attract some GK fans since Moebius sounds like a kind of GK...

She seems to do ok given the time she has left. I hope for her the choice would not deter backers who did not get their vote.

She also needs some extra money above her goal. For DFA, in the last few minutes someone at the $1,000 tier canceled their pledge, which in their case was quickly filled. Of course there were some who couldn't pay for whatever reason after it was done. She probably needs ~30K above her goal as a buffer in case some of those at very high tier pledges ($5K or $10K) don't pay up.

I'm backing Jane too, but my relationship with Al (Lowe) is making me back the LSL-reload for a much larger sum, and besides, no use for me getting an invitation for tiers encompassing an invitation to a concert at the studio, since I live in Europe.

I'm backing Jane too, but my relationship with Al (Lowe) is making me back the LSL-reload for a much larger sum, and besides, no use for me getting an invitation for tiers encompassing an invitation to a concert at the studio, since I live in Europe.

And if it's only 16 bucks that would be great :).

Indeed. All three looked good to me, though I had made up my mind a while back I was going to be voting for Moebius, and that did not change after reading the concept pdf.

*SEMI-SPOILER ALERT*

Although I must say...regarding a certain portion of the description of Moebius, all I could think of for a moment was Fat Bastard saying "Aye'm DEAD SEXXXXYYYY!"

*END SEMI-SPOILER ALERT*

She probably needs ~30K above her goal as a buffer in case some of those at very high tier pledges ($5K or $10K) don't pay up.

yep definitely. Theres also the fact somebody pledged 10k to this without selecting the 10k reward tier. Who knows what theyr thinking...

i'm gonna back Jane and Al as soon as I can... just been backing a few projects already last month (including DFA of course). I think it may be possible that others are doing the same. So Jane's kickstarter will get a great ending!!

Guys from Andromeda YIHAAAAAAAAA they're back too (no kickstarter (yet) or anything, they just want the fans "to spread the word")! 2012 is such a great year.

Guys, we can make this year THE year of adventure games!

Jane`s games are classics! Nobody can deny this... and just for that, i think we all should support her kickstarter to get us a new adventure game!

And if you didn`t play any of her games, help anyway! :) I`m going to help the Tex Murphy series return even without having played any of the past games... (i know they are among the best of the genre, so they deserve my support)!

Yay voted for Moebius and got it.

Sounds the most intriguing of the three.

Things are looking really up. Worst case scenario seems to be we hit a big slump in the next few weeks but still chip away and squeak out 300k in the end.

But im stilll nervous. And even more nervous for tex...

its going to go up the last couple of weeks I reckon. she ll present moebius on the project page, maybe a new video...more art on there. and I think a lot of people (me) are waiting for a more final configuration of the award tiers. she says she ll change it a little so I want to know what it ll look like before I up my bid any further.

and people will realise more and more I think how great a deal this is. DFA originally asked for 400k for a fairly small indie-style game (and the doc of course). LSL asks for 500k for a remake that isnt even that big.

Janes is a new, big, epic, 2D, full-length adventure which is partly funded by herself already. and its 300k.

I'm thinking about donating myself, but I'm a bit unsure about the whole thing. Jane Jensen has been hit and miss for me. I loved King's Quest VI and Gabriel Knight but hated the two Gabriel Knight sequels with their (in my opinion) horrible design choices regarding the full motion video and 3D. Gray Matter was okay, but then again didn't rock my boat - so what will be next? Is this a return to form or Jensen trying something new and equally odd to full motion video?

I can't see the private updates on the kickstarter and haven't read all that much information about her proposed projects that seemed to put my mind at ease. Does anybody have any information about the whole shebang? I love her idea for funding the studio, so it's more if I'll also love the products.

@Kasper sounds like youre pretty similar to me. I didnt really like gk2 or 3 because of the graphics. the new project is said (by jane) to be like a new modern gk1 in style. that is 2d, graphic novel style. old-school. (I tried to ask her if theres a chance it will be handpainted but no info on that yet)

of course, how it actually turns out depends on the graphic artists involved (dont know how easy it is to get hold of the kind of talent that worked at sierra back in the day) but I have great hopes for the project.

just for the record, the concept art on the project page are pretty much the technically worst out of the concept PDF that was sent out. (if that bothers you)

if you want to play it safe you can always wait a bit longer to see if there are more graphical updates that show off the art style. but I think itll be good.

Does anybody have any information about the whole shebang?

heres some quoted info about moebius, the first game they will be working on:

2D graphic novel look

point and click third person adventure

Two game modes: Casual Adventure and True Adventure. In Casual Adventure

there are hints, hot spot reveal and a simple interface. True Adventure will be more

of a challenge.

If you decide to back you'll see a 5ish paragraph description of the story and some concept art of the main character (who is a rich antiquities collector)

Thanks for the info guys. I'll give it some time and check back in a few weeks to see developments on the whole thing.

(I tried to ask her if theres a chance it will be handpainted but no info on that yet)

I think that nobody does handpainting in video games anymore. It's just not effective enough compared to creating directly on computer. However the result can be just as good if you have a good team of artists. Pendulo's made the move from hand painted to fully done on computer during the production of Runaway 3 and nobody was able to notice the difference.

@shingouz I agree that with good enough artists it doesnt really matter (especially with that runaway 3 style), but sometimes its really noticeable and photoshoppy *cough*monkey island SE*cough* an actual painting can be so-so (or just minimal) and still have a lot of charm. anyways I didnt ask cause I thought itd look crap if digital, that was mostly for nostalgia reasons. Itd be cool. and add a certain retro feel to it I think.

@shingouz I agree that with good enough artists it doesnt really matter (especially with that runaway 3 style), but sometimes its really noticeable and photoshoppy *cough*monkey island SE*cough* an actual painting can be so-so (or just minimal) and still have a lot of charm. anyways I didnt ask cause I thought itd look crap if digital, that was mostly for nostalgia reasons. Itd be cool. and add a certain retro feel to it I think.

The thing is that handpainting takes longer, is more expensive and gives less flexibility, because it is harder to make modifications once it's done. That's why developpers have moved away from it mostly.

Sign in to follow this